Why is it free?

Why does Google just give it away? What do they gain?

Attached: android-wallpaper5_2560x1600_1.jpg (800x799, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/xiaomi-is-dragging-its-feet-on-the-gpl-again-this-time-with-the-mi-a1/
techcrunch.com/2011/03/08/potential-open-source-license-violations-in-android-and-ios-apps
myactivity.google.com/
takeout.google.com/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/google-to-charge-oems-for-android-apps-in-the-eu/
mprnews.org/story/2019/02/07/google-location-police-search-warrants
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Google is free if your privacy is worthless

Youre the product, you give them your data for free and they sell it for big money. They should be paying you to use that shit but youre stupid

>Implying that Apple doesn't sell your info as well

>Why is it free?
because charging money for it would be worse

I wasn't

They charge insane licensing fees for OEMs to be able to download the Playstore and related Google services onto the phones

lineageos master race

They're getting people to invest into their currently open and free ecosystem. Once fuschia launches, however, they will have total control and everyone who has invested too much into it already will be forced to play along

Free surveillance for CIA on every device

>know were you are
>listen to you
>take pictures of you
>feed those info to their AI and it spills back to them the best overpriced product you would like buy so they can serve you ads about jews selling those products

This is a thread about Google. Feel free to make an Apple one, they're both shit.

because linux is GPL'ed retard

They make Jow Forumstards butthurt.

>being this defensive for your corporate overlords
Ishygddt

MUH PROVACY

>google monitors me 24/7
>"this guy never leaves his bedroom except to buy more cheetos."
>"how can someone play minecraft 22 hours a day?"
good luck with that goggle

What if Im from Venezuela and plan to use my phone to arrange meetings to tear apart this corrupt government?

>Why is it free?
Due to the terms of the GPL.

It's not free. You have to license a whole bunch of Google patents (with money) in order to receive Android "for free" and promise to preload Google Play and a bunch of other Google apps.

>Why does the farmer just give away cattle feed?
>What does he gain?

Attached: 1550358249650.png (208x195, 18K)

They undercut their competitors by releasing the source code of the version before the one they're currently using.

Are there proprietary versions of Google Android? Maybe this model doesn't apply here

Android is Apache licensed, I think only the Linux part of is it under GPL. And if you think android device manufacturers don't violate the GPL left and right you are dead wrong.

If you want to make money from selling an android device you need google play stuff on it. Only 1 out of 1000 people would be OK with not having gapps on his/her phone. To have gplay on your device I think you need to license it from google and provide updated to the OS and other stuff.
In addition, people buy apps from the store, google gets a cut from ads in "free" apps and also gathers a lot of data via their spynet apps.

>And if you think android device manufacturers don't violate the GPL left and right you are dead wrong.
Could your back this claim up with evidence?

nothin' personell kid
*sells your data to your corrupt government*

>Why does Google just give it away?
It's free for a multiple reasons. One of which is that it uses FOSS code, making it a requirement for it to be free. Google could have probably re-written to work without use the code of anyone else, but doing that is a hassle, and they wouldn't really gain much (if anything) for doing that.

>What do they gain?
Google actually gains quite a lot from Android being freely available. If companies don't have to pay, they would be very willing to start adopting Android into their devices. If the code is open, Google doesn't have to provide assistance with getting Android to function on any particular device (other than the devices made by Google). Android being free allows it to become a very dominant operating system.

But how does Google gain from Android running on the majority smartphones?
Simple. Google Play Services. Google Play Services isn't free like how Android is. Device manufactures must make an agreement with Google in order to have Google Play Services on their devices. Google Play Services is necessary for people to gain access the Google's Play Store, which is where most Android applications are, so manufactures will want to have Google Play Services on their devices (*unless you're selling the device to the Chinese market). And one requirement to having Google Play Services is to have a selection of applications installed by default to lock the user into the Google ecosystem. All Android devices with Google Play Services include Google Chrome by default. The mobile version of Google Chrome only uses Google as a search engine. This makes it so, by default, when owning an Android device with Google Play Services, the user uses Google Chrome to do a Google search and click on links running Google Ads.

You have to remember, Google is a company which makes its money off of ads.

linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/xiaomi-is-dragging-its-feet-on-the-gpl-again-this-time-with-the-mi-a1/
techcrunch.com/2011/03/08/potential-open-source-license-violations-in-android-and-ios-apps

There is much more if you want.
In addition some argue that proprietary kernel modules violate the GPL. With modules like amdgpu-pro and nvidia-driver which have open source parts at least you can tell if they are using GPLd source from the kernel or not, but on phones which they only have a binary module for their shitty wifi chip, no DKMS source or anything you can never tell.
At this point I'm sure Linus is willingly looking over these. He wants corporate cock, this gets him plenty of it.

>He wants corporate cock
That's why he says open source rather than free.

The US, and by extension, Jewgle and Faceberg want you to do this if the headlines I hear about Venezuela is any indication.

Ads

If no android then something else come
Dont forget they put google play
And it helps them push their ad trafficking service

Also free kernel(linux or whatever bsd) there is and java is a thing

Look that that its free doesnt mean in any mean that its not profitable and no selling user data mean nothing its about pushing their other services for literally free + paying to few developers who knows what they are doing for literally less then 200k that that they shitting money too much on things its other thing

Its not cost too much to invade and it has potential

This guy understands. The rest of you are morons.

>itt google shills at its finest
who the hell would use it if it was not?

Influence and money. You have to pay Google to ship an android device with play services, which most normies expect nowadays.

>making it a requirement for it to be free
LOSS can be sold.

so phone manufacturer's would use it?
in effect gaining more market share and users have that goo gle search in the home screen

>Linus
Is it not stallman's job to defend (my freedom) GPL in court?

You're implying too much.

Probably making money from the playstore. From the developers and customers. I bought chrono trigger for my tablet for instance.

>What do they gain?
90% of the market

It almost by default comes preinstalled with Google services. 90% of Google's business model is convincing people to use their stuff so they can use their other stuff.
Chrome was only ever created so that people could use some of Google's Javascript-heavy applications that were too slow on the non-JIT browsers of the day.

It *can* be sold but anyone without a sub-saharan IQ can just compile without licensed checking so no one will ever buy it

Fuschia's gonna die on launch along with every alternative mobile OS. They're best chance would be to give it a userspace as close to UNIX (better yet, Linux), as possible, since Android's userspace (busybox and Dalvik) is a fucking toy.

That being said, mobile OS's can never be as capable or turn their respective device into a fully fledged PC. No, I'm not talking about the plug your phone into a monitor with a desktop UI meme, I'm talking about suspending the CPU. Mobile battery life only exists because Android shuts off the CPU and disconnects WiFi after periods of inactivity. Imagine trying to SMB copy some files off your shiny new Fuschia phone over the network. Oh wait, it's dead, sleeping.

Mobile phones will never be as good as desktops and Fuschia won't change that. Android already has an established library of software and is sadly the best thing we have, for now.

Cope.

what's your point? Normies won't compile anything. You're literally selling a service of compiling stuff.

You're wrong, bro. It may not happen now but eventually mobile phone will become the new plugin laptops with more power than computers have now. People also believed that nobody would ever buy a computer.

> Google apps collect relevant data when you use them
> Google has too many apps and services
> Google collect too much data
For how much you Jow Forumstards hate Google, the only argument I've ever seen made is that they collect too much data. In reality, Google share a similar approach to Apple which is to use that data to lock you into their other services, rather than selling that data to pajeets like M$.

Also, unlike FB, you can see what they collect here:
myactivity.google.com/
As well as export it all here (then delete your account if you want):
takeout.google.com/

> mobile phones one day will be faster than computers
Are you a fucking boomer? Lemme guess; you also think one day everything will be wireless and that WiFi will be faster than fibre-optic runs?

Desktops and servers will always be on the bleeding edge of speed and computational capacity. Not your pocket FaceBook browser. The key is in how we integrate them. Being able to outsource tasks to a more powerful machine, that is within YOUR control is the direction we should be heading. Cloud computing is a meme.

I never said that. I merely suggested that they'll be faster than computers NOW . Of course computers in the future will be faster too.

"free" (as in free beer) usually means YOU are the product.

what about debloated AOSP?

Not anymore
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/google-to-charge-oems-for-android-apps-in-the-eu/

Attached: 1543818396712.jpg (1080x1080, 111K)

>you can see what they collect here:
No, you can't. That shows a snippet of "transparency" - e.g. they collect location data even if you "turn it off", which won't show up there.
>mprnews.org/story/2019/02/07/google-location-police-search-warrants
>How did the police know you were near a crime scene? Google told them

Nothing in GPL says you can't charge money for software.

Don't use your phone to do shit like that?
Also, just trow rocks at the Brazilian or Colombian army and hope they roll the tanks into your country.

Attached: 1452356386216.png (480x354, 218K)

>muh appul

Because why pay outsource companies when the same third worlders will fix your code for free? You even get a bunch of socially confused autists praising you for your courage.

Is there an “ungoogled” version of android?

Android is Linux
Linux is Free

free shit good
expensive shit bad

LOS can be rolled without GAPPS
There's also Replicant, which is supported by a handful of devices. None of them can use wifi without an adapter or use 4G, but that might change when Replicant 9.0 comes out