Can someone redpill me on making a VPN server at home...

Can someone redpill me on making a VPN server at home? Not so that I can access my network remotely but something to encrypt my traffic and mask my location/IP, primarily so I don't have to keep paying for a service like PIA or Nord

Attached: 12d96a56ccb5e503939a7e5f7df78c79b8daa728bbde285d7b3669935e2fa18a.jpg (2000x2000, 315K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-18-04
github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read the wiki and follow digital ocean guides. Pretty easy using openvpn

When I read someone on this board writing about hosting their own VPN at home I imagine an obese fat man sitting all the fucking day on his computer, fixing the cables in the basement with all his home servers to hide his IP, while he sits on the couch with his thinkpad with arch linux installed at the same time that with his other hand he takes a large handful of Cheetos and takes them directly to his mouth, pushing him hard with the muscles of his windpipe up to his stomach and repeating this over and over and again while typing and shitposting with his orange and sweaty fingers smelling of cheese, while his mother down the stairs and, tired, shouts "For God's sake go get a damn job bastard son of a bitch I should have aborted "and he responds by sending him one of those C programming books that is next to his shelf full of anime

sry which wiki? is digital ocean or a vps necesary since that's a cost too? can it not run on a box i have at home?

lol

The Jow Forums if you're really new to this, or just follow this
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-18-04

You can run it on your box easily. How fast is your internet?

thank you

400Mbps down, around 100mbps up

Hello fbi

How the fuck do you think you’re going to mask your IP by having your VPN use the very same connection you’re trying to hide?

github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand just works

This
What exactly is the point of you having a VPN at home versus using a 3.50 / month VPS?

see
vpn server software isnt magic. the point of paying for a vpn, or using a remotely hosted vpn is to let the outside world think/make it seem like you're at the vpn's location. If the vpn locations is.. your location, WHATS THE POINT?

even hosting your own vpn on a server you rent at a datacenter is iffy because the company you're renting at can still link the ip to your payment account, and thus you.

Can also intercept even an anonymous mauritanian bitcoin VPN by packet sniffing connections to the VPN IP address to determine what IP is connecting to it

are you pic related ?

Attached: women_in_tech.jpg (631x960, 68K)

No, why? It's true

I thought the point was to keep your traffic secret from the parties in the middle. I run a home VPN so I can use wi-fi hotspots or my employers free WiFi without my traffic being readable. Now my traffic has the she level of secrecy as when I'm at home.
I also don't trust that a 3rd party VPN service isn't reading that traffic where it can.

Any time there is a way to connect there is a way to intercept

You could do that and it would offer you secrecy from the people who run those networks, i.e your boss. But at the same time, if I'm your boss, I'll be seeing that you have massive packets being sent to and from a weird residential IP address that links to a home network router. And while you can get around DNS blocks, you will probably have DNS leaking. This may also be a violation of your ISPs service. And you're going to be leaving gaping holes in your home network for chinks and pajeet to come anally rape you. Why not just install openvpn on a VPS? That gives you more anonymity and doesn't expose your home router to hackers

of course, but the point of widely used/third party vpns/tor nodes etc is that it gets VERY hard to sniff and get useable data from that. ideally because it's distributed and obfuscated to the point where you need massive amounts of resources to correlate any specific identity.
so you'd have to be a very high profile target, and even then.

This is correct, I meant for an anonymous virtual private server

>Can someone redpill me on
Jesus Christ, the state of this board.
Fuck off asshole

I will keep saying until I am banned. Fuck off you Jow Forumstards and shave ma fookin ballz you fuckin zoomers. Go use Discord and die for Israel.

>nu-Jow Forums

>home VPN
>mask my location/IP
lmao

Is this some kind of reverse psychology shit?

Kind of makes me want to start actually using a VPN now tbqh

Just setup wireguard, if you have a shitty router port forward to a decent machine and setup some IP tables rules for NATing.