/gentoo/ the best linux distro general

Gentoo masterrace thread. Talk about the best distro there is. Show off your desktop, discuss wms. Show what you're working

Attached: 1548973449837.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Modprobed-db
swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/kernelbuilding.html#idm3548299350096
web.archive.org/web/20180226135953/https://www.dotslashlinux.com/post/the-linux-kernel-configuration-guide-part-1-introduction
files.kroah.com/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch08.pdf
files.kroah.com/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch11.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Show off your desktop
Like this?

Attached: 2019-02-18-235831_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 3.01M)

I don't get it. Is Gentoo legitimately good? It's rolling release, so it has to be a meme distro used for edgelords and NEETs.

Asriel is obsolete.

I walked away for like two minutes to take a piss, and suddenly my laptop is off when I come back...
I've been using Gentoo for a couple years now, nothing like this has ever happened.
The last thing I did before I got up was close my file manager and VLC really quick.
The only thing I have open to the rest of my network is dnscrypt for other people's computers to use.
I can't find anything at all in the logs of what caused the shutdown.
Wtf happened lads, am I compromised?

Attached: 1542160098582.jpg (350x524, 9K)

CIA niggers sneaked in and installed a backdoor in your mobo.

Delete systemd64 now!

shiiiiiiieeeeeettttt
I have 'kernel.panic = 10' set but that's supposed to reboot, I'm pretty sure, not shut it down. There's nothing in the fucking logs suggesting anything happened...

How much better than Arch is this? What makes you rather use Gentoo than Arch?

This is my Gentoo.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My Gentoo is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.

Attached: 1531059513909.jpg (540x393, 15K)

t. nigger goat fag

I'd say Gentoo is at least 22% better than Arch. Compiling software with your own machine will really squeeze extra performance from the code execution.

Does compiling it on your own machine actually increase performance? I thought the main advantage of source based packages was that you can omit unwanted features at compile time and therefore have a slimmer system.

>22%
How do you even account for this percentage...

its not rolling release.

How does a rolling release imply "a meme distro for edgelords and NEETs"? Could it maybe just be your own ignorant opinion?

gentoo isn’t a distro you dumb fucks

It is.

What does Arch have that Gentoo doesn't? What is possibly pushing the arch/arch-based distros?

>rolling release >packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
>current stable kernel is 4.14
>rolling release

Even if it gives you the option to build newer version doesn't mean it forces you to do it so

A tiny bit, yes. I use it mainly because it's real minimal. Not compiling functionality you don't need is quite nice, though some may call it autistic.

>current stable kernel is 4.14
that legitimately is the latest functioning lts kernel out right now

>Webkit, firefox, and chromium takes days to compile
Fuck that

By what logic? I'm on 4.20 and it works fine. I need at least 4.18 for my hardware

>days
lies

Firefox even has a firefox-bin package, not everything needs to be compiled. Same with libreoffice

firefox takes ~30min on average 2011 hardware
you can get the binary version if you don't want to compile it
>Webkit
>chromium
garbage

How do I get good at configuring a minimal kernel? I've saved the gentoo wiki pages for most of the hardware and software features I want, but I don't know which options I can disable from the default config. Some of them are obvious, but others aren't and there isn't always a lot of information available online about individual options.

The ability to not have extra unneeded garbage installed on my system.

usually it's safe to disable unless it explicitly says otherwise in the description
just leave the bare minimum you think you need enabled and if the system works as expected, try disabling some more shit
portage will give you warnings if a package requires certain kernel settings to be enabled when emerging anyway
you really don't need anything but common sense to configure a kernel
just make sure you have at least one working backup kernel you can boot into on the off chance that your newest config makes the kernel unbootable

based

I used modprobed-db with make localmodconfig to slim it down a little and then went from there, manually disabling kernel modules I don't need. There's probably a better way though.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Modprobed-db

Fuck that indeed. Good thing that's not how hardware is these days.

What do you believe you can archive with a "minimal" kernel?

1. Feel good about it
2. Quicker compile time

There's nothing stopping you from compiling a more recent kernel than 4.14 lts, lol

I think it's the idea behind being "minimal" while also boasting it's "simplicity". I think these things are achieved better in Gentoo though, atleast in Arch's meanings of those words. Another thing is ease of entry; although arch's installation is also CLI based it's definitely far simpler while Gentoo is notoriously easy to fuck up if you can't read instructions and can't properly configure the kernel. People probably see the Arch memes saying it's some elitist distro and jump aboard easily since in reality it's really not.

Arch is bloat

>running gentoo on a microwave

>Is Gentoo legitimately good?
yes
>It's rolling release, so it has to be a meme distro used for edgelords and NEETs.
what

How long does it take to install Gentoo on a virtual machine? I'm thinking on installing it on Virtual box.

Why compile Firefox when you can just download IceCat binaries from their site?

Attached: 1470953889807.jpg (1024x642, 55K)

Just a bootable system without any DE wouldn't take that long if you give your VM a decent amount of cores.

>What makes you rather use Gentoo than Arch?
Flexibility and freedom of choice.

>Compiling software with your own machine will really squeeze extra performance from the code execution.
It won't. Stop propagating this nonsense.

>Does compiling it on your own machine actually increase performance?
No.

I like the USE flags from Gentoo.

Being rolling release doesn't make it bleeding edge.
Although Gentoo technically is, since new packages are added as soon as they appear, but they're marked as testing and will only be installed if you explicitly allow them, otherwise you're on the stable branch by default.
Also, you're not locked into a single repository snapshot like on binary distros.
Gentoo offers multiple package versions and allows you to use any version that's available.
Installing bleeding edge packages on a stable system won't break your system like on binary distros.
Keeping one package at an older version, while having the rest of the system up to date won't cause a dependency hell.
Basically, you have the freedom to make Gentoo as stable or as bleeding edge as you want.

Yes, significantly. Binary packages are distributed with huge extra library weights and are never tailored to your architecture. Launching libreoffice takes a full minute on debian but pops open in 3s on gentoo.

gentoo needs a new more modern logo

You can actually submit one for the artwork collection, but I wouldn't expect it to stick easily. The logo is fine.

"no"

retard

anyone on llvm-8 yet?

if i want to to learn systems or modifying my os from 0 ill just install LFS why bother with that meme when i can do the real stuff?

Gentoo is not about "learning systems or modifying your OS from 0".
What Gentoo does is it provides you with the advantages of compiling packages from source and combines that with the convenience and ease of use of any other distro.
It's not a DIY "distro" like LFS. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

Ubuntu

So does the CRUX guys

Attached: crux.png (256x256, 63K)

here's some useful stuff regarding kernel configuration:
swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/kernelbuilding.html#idm3548299350096 (Manually Configuring a Kernel)
^ this is from a book written by a gentoo dev, it has a ton of info on working with gentoo and linux in general as well
web.archive.org/web/20180226135953/https://www.dotslashlinux.com/post/the-linux-kernel-configuration-guide-part-1-introduction
^ this is like a full kernel config walkthrough
files.kroah.com/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch08.pdf (Kernel Configuration Recipes)
files.kroah.com/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch11.pdf (Kernel Configuration Option Reference)
^ these are relevant parts from Greg's book, "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell"
despite the title of the book, it doesn't go into the inner workings of the kernel and whatnot, it just documents the process of getting, configuring and installing a custom kernel; I didn't find much useful info outside chapters 8 and 11, but it may be worth checking out if you have some time on your hands

Thank you very much anons, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

nixos is better

Attached: nixos.png (500x625, 33K)

not in practice

works on my machine

Attached: gentoo anime.png (788x1000, 236K)

>not GuixSD

Attached: 1462148541303.jpg (541x699, 54K)

Wasn't there a Jow Forums flavoured linux distro way back then? Is it still around?

>GNU trash
Thanks, I'll pass.

Dumb makifag

>I don't know how compilers work

This, plebs btfo because guix is the future

installed gentoo a few nights ago. previously used arch. only been using linux a short while but i don't know why people say installing gentoo is hard... if anything it was very rewarding. felt great to confront a problem here or there and solve it after a bit of study. also i felt like i learned a good deal having only recently starting to use linux. thx gentoo.

Attached: feb202019152211.png (1366x768, 1.26M)

nice work. now please improve your horrible music selection.

its on my thinkpad and i just got mpd working. for some reason i was having problems with the socket already being open and ncmpcpp not reading my database. transferring my host machine now. but yea i got eclectic taste. i like the money store, the devil and god are raging inside of me and ye tho. sry brah. i could put on the django reinhardt if that does it for the boomer in you.

that's a humboldt penguin

I'm 35. at least listen to Soundgarden dude.

> reduce attack surface by having less attack surface

> less attack surface
> less compile time
> less space, even if it's already small

What kernel do you use and why?

linux because why not

Compiling on your own machine actually increases execution performance. Just try a precompiled ffmpeg from debian and one that you compiled on gentoo. You'll feel the difference for sure. Of course, that's not always true for every program, but true for most of them.

He watched too much Steins:Gate, forgive him

There's 11 different linux kernel flavours available in the main tree

>Compiling on your own machine actually increases execution performance.
Maybe, but the increase is so negligible you can safely say it doesn't exist.
>You'll feel the difference for sure.
No, I haven't felt any difference whatsoever on any of my machines.
There are legitimate reasons to use Gentoo, stop tricking people into using it for some placebo performance increase meme.

>it exists
>you can say it doesn't
What did she mean by this?

>he has a brain that is 0.000000001% the size of the average human brain
>it exists
>but for all practical purposes, it doesn't

I see, so science isn't a practical purpose to you? Why are you using a computer made by science right now? Throw it away.

What's the point in claiming there's a performance increase when it's pretty much non existent?
Stating that as a reason to use Gentoo is literally lying to people.

>Stating that as a reason to use Gentoo
Who is currently claiming that as a reason to use Gentoo?
>literally lying to people
I claim that there is a performance increase. This is easily verifiable, so how does that make it a lie? You can try arguing that the increase doesn't matter, but you can't in your right mind say that it doesn't "exist".

I hope this is bait or you're just an ESL fag who can't read properly.
>Who is currently claiming that as a reason to use Gentoo?
This guy ?????
>You can try arguing that the increase doesn't matter
Literally exactly what was saying. Did you really think he would admit there may be an increase in performance and then say that there is literally no increase in performance at all??

is gentoo linux from scratch but with a gayer name?

>This guy
It seems like you're the ESL fag here, since you can't understand simple English words referring to time. Maybe you should read up on some basic English and learn to properly parse basic text before engaging in discussions where you are clearly out of your league mental-capacity-wise.
>Literally exactly what was saying.
Irrelevant blogpost. Nothing in it really argues for any point. He just states his own feelings on the matter and claims that something doesn't exist, when it clearly and provably does. So the post already defeats itself by literally denying anything in it which you can even remotely call an argument.

It's LFS with a package manager

so not as cool.

Define ``cool".

>This guy ?????
Are you genuinely autistic? That post is a clear jab at people who say that there's a noticeable performance increase on all software. It's pretty blatant with the "22%" thing.

Is there any advantage to compiling software from source besides possible performance gains?

package manger subtracts cool factor points. at least 2.

USE flags are the main reason. It also makes it easy to patch stuff with your own changes in a way where your package manager knows about the patches.

How is that a definition of ``cool"? You just gave a description of a property which reduces ``coolness".

hardware failure, most likely your battery

It boils down to flexibility and freedom of choice.

->

other than openrc gentoo is a waste of time imo
the community is chill tho

What should I use then?