E-reader Thread

What dpi is enough for an e-reader if I only plan on reading text/books? 2nd gen Paperwhites are going for ~$70 used in the country I'm in whereas the newer models are ~$120. Is there some enormous difference between 212 and 300 dpi? Aside from the difference in dpi is there any other reason why I would spring for the pricier ones.

Attached: amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2015-side-by-side-1500x1000.jpg (1500x1000, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190219033425&SearchText=eink reader
youtube.com/watch?v=ky-t00ubcU0
github.com/twcamper/sicp-kindle/blob/master/sicp.mobi
aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/taxation.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm using a Kindle 4 (167 dpi, 800x600). Second hand ones are extremely cheap and it's perfect for books.
My only complaints are:
>the dpi is too low for manga/comics (not a problem in your case)
>because I'm using Koreader (which relies on long pressing on your touch screen to set defaults like fonts and margins) and the Kindle 4 has no touchscreen, I had to extensively search through and fiddle with the configuration files to setup my preferred layout - and this didn't work for all settings, so I still have to spend some time changing settings each time I start a new book.

Torrent site
Usb
Tablet
Qbittorent

Download the book you want drag it to a folder you create on you tablet

Drag the books you want
Download a book reader app
Now you can feel free to enjoy it without paying for books on ebook cuz it sucks to pay for books

It really depends how autistic you are. I've got 313 dpi cybook hd muse because I wanted text as sharp as normal books. Turend out it's even sharper than some of my books (compered with magnifying glass) so I'm satisfied.
Just make sure it has backlight. It's great.

Oh, and because it has no light I had to get one of these cases (this particular model isn't too great, sadly - it only manages to light up 2/3rds of the page).

Attached: 41WYpEZ7hNL._SY450_[1].jpg (274x450, 19K)

Oops, wrong pic, this is the actual model I'm talking about.

Attached: 1.0x0[1].jpg (736x489, 37K)

You know you can also pirate ebooks you brainlet?

Try your luck with chink e-readers.

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190219033425&SearchText=eink reader

Have you ever compared yours to another with a lower ppi? Did you notice any significant difference?

>foldable e-readers are a now a thing
>nobody is manifacturing them
WHY
youtube.com/watch?v=ky-t00ubcU0

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1678x944, 194K)

What would be the point?

The glare is terrible

Are you serious?
>large screen that can be folded in half and carried easily (all your hentai can neatly fit into the pocket of your cargo shorts)
plus
>all the advantages of e-ink, like long battery life and no eyestrain
Given how foldable smartphones are (probably) going to be next big craze, e-reader manufacturers should be pushing to produce and market these things

Yes I compared it to my dads 800 x 600 Pocketbook. The difference is noticeable, but it's not significant. If you don't read often or don't have sharp eyes 800x600 will do just fine.

Give me your best programming books for kindle
I begin with sicp
github.com/twcamper/sicp-kindle/blob/master/sicp.mobi

You can get blacklisted second gen paperwhites for like $20 on eBay

>blacklisted

Makes zero difference if you sideload books

>sideload

>t. Bezos cuck

Thanks for your WaPo support user!

theft is wrong

agreed

Attached: Screenshot_20190219-095202__01.jpg (1080x1963, 460K)

copying isn't stealing. intellectual property is basically saying you don't get to decide what to do with your own technology just because of someone else's "right to profit". the original 1's and 0's you are "stealing" are still intact, software is infinitely abundant, and thus cannot be "stolen". you must be retarded if you think stealing physical property which is a finite resource is comparable with "stealing 1's and 0's" that are *infinitely available*

taxation is (mostly) theft though

>not letting the government steal from you and doing it legally
the horror

i'd buy you a drink irl

250-300 DPI is good. Anything less is worse than a real book.

>Ideas can't be stolen
Stop being a fucking faggot God damn.

>ctrl+c ctrl+v is theft

Attached: aqua making fun of you.jpg (680x960, 89K)

Yes

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

>ideas can't be stolen
you are correct. or are you saying that you in fact, don't have full ownership of your hard drive?

>need to make a living
>create digital content
>your digital content is mostly copied and not paid for
>you can't make a living producing digital content
>you stop creating digital content and move onto sometime else where you do get paid

more like do better shit so people or companies hire you for projects. laws aren't made for profit, they are made for justice. you are sacrificing the whole world's property rights for a single company or individuals alleged "right to profit". if people really like your work, then they pay for it if they want more of it. or are you saying that you in fact do not own your own canvas, or your own tools, or your own hard drive, or your own paper, etc.?

167 is good for text, for manga I would choose the 300 ones.

try to steal his hard drive, but some how his hard drive is also kept with him.

literally nothing wrong with this

>in a piracyfags utopia
>nobody pays for any content
>all media and digital goods are free now
>nobody can make a living producing 1s and 0s
>everybody stops making quality digital content
>the only way to make money off content is to covertly hide ads and sponsored content
>at least I got to save $5

I'ts not a burden of the user to figure out a business model for you. If just sharing files crushes your business, then you do deserve to fail. Find an activity that doesn't limit people's freedom.

The business model you are hoping for is sponsored content and botnets stealing your data

more like individuals or groups of people, be it companies or otherwise will pay for the expertise of talented individuals. not my problem your code/content sucks no one wants to pay you for more. it's not even about cost, it's about FREEDOM. you are literally sacrificing the *whole worlds* property rights for a single groups/individuals NON-right. i'm gonna ask again, do you or do you not hold full ownership over your hard drive?

>The business model you are hoping for
??? I'm not trying to run a business.
If I did, I'd at least try to be ethical, tho.

Attached: buccelati.png (318x375, 209K)

privacy rights are in parallel with property rights. without one you cannot protect the other. everything *should* be private unless proven otherwise, the threshold of proof must be as high as when determining guilt. if we're already advocating for certain types of property (digital or otherwise) freedoms, then it's not even an issue also advocating for privacy rights.

Foldable is a terrible meme. I'd pay more for a non foldable one.

I have a Likebook Mars. It's awesome.

Holy shit thank the Lord you're not an IP attorney. Wow, good fuck.

>t. someone who doesn't actually own his own hard drive
also
>not an argument
also
>certain combinations of 1's and 0's are ILLEGAL to have
hmmmmm

yes because if there's one thing i love when reading it's a sheet of bent out of shape plastic over the text

The business model was already there and functioning to begin with. The user came along and decided they wanted it for nothing.

again, it's not about "wanting something for nothing", rather about property rights. are you, or are you not, the full owner of your hard drive?

>amazon employees are subsidized with SNAP
>the infrastructure that amazon uses is created with taxes
>theft

Shoelicker.

I'm arguing against the point that copying a product over buying it isn't damaging. You've not taken any money but you've prevented the content producer from receiving money for your copy.

Why is he entitled to that money? Profit should never come before your personal rights. Even if it were to damage the entire global economy, laws aren't made for profit, laws are made for justice. Come up with an ethical business plan instead of restricting everyone's property rights for your non-right to profit. In other words, stop getting the gov't from getting up in my business just so you can get more money.

Yes, we don't have these threads any more because everyone decided the choice is either between the Likebook and the random Kindle you find in a thrift store for $15.

no its not

Attached: 1537462666966.jpg (500x500, 40K)

I must be stupid to think that people produce products to be sold. I make something and I require you pay me for it if you want it. Just because my product is easily copied, why does that make it ok not to pay for it?

here comes the jooz

In a system when everyone pirated content wouldn't the content producers eventually be unable to pay those who make it.

>you've prevented the content producer from receiving money for your copy.
He was never entitled to it. The only one who could ask for money here is the one giving me a copy. He can also do it for free, if he chooses to.
Stop trying to control what people do with their computers.

Physical property is finite (obviously). If it has scarcity, it has non zero value. Something that is infinitely abundant cannot have a non zero value. Software being 1's and 0's has infinite abundance. This means there is nothing to sell. Trying to enforce people to "buy" 1's and 0's is unethical and I'm gonna repeat myself at the risk of sounding like a broken record, but there is no such thing as a right to profit, and it's absurd that this so called right to profit is more important than the legitimate property rights of literally everyone else on this planet currently alive and in the future.
That's conjecture.
If you don't use tax funded services, you shouldn't have to pay taxes for them. Also, taxation is done under threat of bodily harm and death, don't pay taxes? Go to jail. Resist? Get shot. This authority to enforce taxes comes from the firepower the gov't owns, which conveniently gives another reason for the existence of the 2nd amendment.
This 100%

where'd all the 5" readers go?

Attached: 1526409467798.jpg (800x600, 83K)

>That's conjecture.
So is this:
>Something that is infinitely abundant

Who writes your software? People working for free?

>right to profit is more important than the legitimate property rights
I don't content this.

>Stop trying to control what people do with their computers.
I'm not, I'm very much against DRM and the likes. In the real world people need to earn a living. If a product doesn't make enough money to cover the costs to pay those that make it, who's going to make it? Not everyone can or is going to produce something for nothing.

>If a product doesn't make enough money to cover the costs to pay those that make it, who's going to make it? Not everyone can or is going to produce something for nothing.
As long as you don't try to make money by limiting what others can do with things they own, I don't have an issue. Outside of that, good luck with your entrepreneurship.

Any cheap e readers that can handle PDFs?

Why would the party that created the thing have less right to charge for it than the party distributing it? This is absurd.

Don't worry we have an infinite abundance of software developer who will work for nothing.

He has the right to charge for sharing his copies. Not copies that others own, because they are... from others. Whatever they do with it, it's none of the author business.

>if it can't be sold as a commodity, it can't be funded
>what is GNU/Linux distributions

Content creators should be paying me for duplicating their content and disseminating it throughout the world.

>cant get a solid crease going
>device is now twice as thick folded up

yeah nah

Many Linux developers have other jobs that pay the bills.

DPI matters less than contrast

>Contrast matters less than DPI
see I can make dumb statements too

>If a product doesn't make enough money to cover the costs to pay those that make it, who's going to make it?
q

Chinese. Chinese make knock-offs of everything. I'm surprised that they haven't flooded the market with cheap Kindle clones, yet.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was talking about

Taxation is theft.
aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/taxation.html

1's and 0's are infinitely abundant. There is no limit to how many 1's and 0's you can have if you have limitless storage, the number you can have is essentially bottle necked by the amount of storage space you have (excellent pigeon holing example, since infinity is greater than any finite amount of storage spaces you can have). What isn't infinitely abundant is work, but the work done to find a combination of 1's and 0's that we find useful does not equal the actual combination of 1's and 0's. Or are you saying that the work someone does to paint something is by definition equal to the painting itself? That doesn't seem right at all. I'm not asking people to work for free. I'm asking for people to switch to an ethical business model that doesn't violate my property rights. If I like someone's work, I'll pay for more, or donate just because I want to. The only people who end up losing in my proposed reality are the people who produce mediocre code, and while I don't agree with raising the bar to entry for any market, it's the much lesser of two evils here. I honestly don't even care about getting software for free since I mostly use libre software, it's mostly a philosophical issue for me.

Not the same user, but thanks for putting it more eloquently for me.

foldable is a terrible meme for most applications. You need a VERY small bend radius for it to be useful. Also, no one is manufacturing EPD displays period. It's DOA technology.

>5inch screen below 200 dpi
No thanks

Well, that's the point - why are all the 5" ancient, low DPI and low contrast, why has no company made a modern reader in that format?

I actually know the specific reason for this: high DPI EPD screens are a fucking bitch to manufacture and no one can do it currently (profitably, not trial run prototype bullshit)

Because the people that buy these devices mostly don't know what DPI is and wouldn't notice an upgrade anyhow because the current set of eink readers have high enough DPI for reading text at a reasonable font size.

Most people aren't reading .PDFs and comic books on their Kindles.

No difference in any normal situation. Only when you zoom in extremely close might you be able to see tiny bit of difference.

I want one but there's nothing an overpriced kindle (with its proprietary shit) could do what my cheapo tablet couldn't.

Attached: IMG_20190131_012756.jpg (2000x4000, 1.63M)

Is anyone running a FOSS eReader firmware or program that doesn't require you to log in?

Imagine a phone with a normal LCD screen and an e-ink one inside the fold. Now that'd be an actual use case for a foldable phone, since it's not as if you can make them with anything other than a square ratio in the internal screen.
Maybe Amazon could start a trend with the Fire Phone 2?

Is there a benefit to getting one of these as opposed to an android tablet? is it less strain on the eyes or some shit? that's all i worry about.

Attached: 14-hillary-clinton.jpg (2001x1334, 367K)

what is this sideloading shit? if I have calibre and a bunch of epubs, can I use one of these blacklisted fuckers?

Is anyone running a FOSS eReader firmware or program that doesn't require you to log in?

Anyone?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite on the last nigger Friday and the 300 ppi really made a difference on my reading habits. I was using a tablet before because "derp gerp you can have books plus much more shit derf berp" but it's a completely different experience.

I was also not a big fan of audible books but its quite comfy for non technical books.

I am using the amazon firmware, will look into custom ones later on.

yes

>too much of a brainlet to jailbreak a kindle
enjoy your eyestrain

nook sucks kindle isn't much better

i don't get it

I wish to confess. The only reason I'm not choosing a Likebook Mars is because I wouldn't be able to stand seeing "readed" every time I read an epub/pdf. "E-reader" yet it has such an obvious misspelling. The pricetag would be worth it if it wasn't for this.

solution is go full gommunism :::DDDD

IMO, tablets are the way to go for manga.
Even a Nexus 7 (2012) is perfectly fine for that job.
Also great taste.

Attached: poop.png (409x495, 356K)

Yes, if you want to use epubs without converting you will need to jailbreak and install koreader, otherwise just convert them with Calibre

Twisted and evil as fuck