Give it to me straight

give it to me straight
is 25 too late to start programming? i feel like its one of those things where you had to start early as a kid (like sports)
dont give me that "try it and find out" shit im already 25

Attached: 1526977846196.jpg (960x540, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

automatetheboringstuff.com/
cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
pastebin.com/p9VVniQk
norvig.com/21-days.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

try out and find out.

if you suck at msth, progrsmming isnt for you. if you expect reasonable results from unreasonable input, programming isnt for you.

tl;dr try out and you'll see

Anything is possible to learn with drive and a desired end state. There's nothing special to coding if you have a problem to solve and can get off your ass to get it done.

No one can talk you into motivation.

>if you suck at msth, progrsmming isnt for you
based normalfag

yes you already wasted most of your life.
no chance at this point

Addendum: Using that skillset to make money might be a different beast. I can't vouch for that personally, since I don't code for a living.

It should be no problem at all. Give it a go.

you can but you won't

Im 25 and i just started learning how to code. Went back to uni to take classes.

The question is more about if you can achieve the life situation where additional higher education is feasible at your age. I would expect it to be based on personal experience but it's not guaranteed.
I wouldn't say programming to an employment level requires much intelligence even.

Find a union job and enjoy life.

26 here. I tried last year and it was completely incomprehensible.

Yes it is. Most people will say no it's not to make you feel better, but at 25 your mental faculties have already started decreasing.
25 is when programmers start to burnout and are threatened by younger people.
It's worthless to start at 25. At 25 you should have already made it.
Pick a different career option.

> if you suck at msth, progrsmming isnt for you.

99% of programming that most will do has no math aside from Boolean logic and perhaps basic arithmetic.

I'm giving it to you straight and I hope you listen.
Yes. You are way too old and will never catch up. Go into trades or something else that doesn't have an age cap.

Then you were not dedicated enough.

This guy is very right.

t. 24 yo programmer planning to have 5-8 years left in industry before management role. Aka replaced by younger programmers

Just go into webdev. If you work at it you can get hired as a fullstack "developer" in a year. It's not even really programming and only requires a not terrible eye for design or a good way of emulating good designs. 25 is not too late.

if you suck at math programming is not for you, coding on the other hand is.

You are asking a bunch of 15-21 year olds that question. Bear that in mind.

If you've managed not to be poisoned by a CS degree then you're already head of most 25 year olds.

Depends on what you wanna do. Most tards get a php website up after 5-6 months. If you want into security or games probably not

w-why would you kill the best girl?
makishit should be in her place

automatetheboringstuff.com/ here's a beginner book, go try it out

>programming is about math

T. Codegolfing retard neet

Programming is about structure and teamwork. I'd rather have an architect than a mathematician on my team

It's not too late.
First, start off with a language that has a REPL, like Scheme, Common LISP, Python, Ruby, etc.
Get a book for that language and just follow it, personally I'd recommend Common LISP: A gentle introduction to Symbolic computing: cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/ most of the stuff in there should run on a modern CL implementation (use SBCL or CLISP)
Figure out some kind of small project to do in said language, like executing a program from the language, writing a shell in that language, reading in a file and setting variables to the values in said file, make a small game with a Text user interface (even just shell-like commands, i.e. "GO NORTH" "USE POTION"), etc.
While your working on that project start learning assembly for your architecture. I'd recommend NASM to start with, then moving to FASM when you're comfortable. gas (GNU Assembler) syntax is unnecessarily obtuse and thus I don't recommend it. It'll help you understand how computers based on the Von Neumann architecture (read: Effectively every currently existing computer) work.

Until you get 1 or 2 years experience with programming, I'd recommend staying away from anything to do with GUIs. Every single toolkit fucking sucks and most people are just going to recommend you use webshit for GUI.

this

can I do the same but at 21?

this.
it blows my mind how people often says that they "DID TRIED REALLY HARD" but failed, 99% they are talking about 2-3 hours a day watching some videos/lectures hoping that things get clear by itself and get disappointed when it doesn't
i started from absolutely no knowledge in programming in 24y and now at 26 im working as one, and yes anyone can do it if they really want to, and when you really want to you will learn 24/7

If you want to I can give you a crash course for an hour into programming.

Pick your language

[language] :
speed, syntax, difficulty

Python :
Slow, convenient, E A S Y

Web ( HTML/CSS/JS ):
Mediocre, easy, a little harder than python

C++ :
Fast, A pain, H A R D

I'm trying to educate as many as I can in programming, this world would be better with more people finding passion, Mine is programming, if it's gonna become yours as well I am happy to help, hit me up at

[email protected]

programming is a sub-branch of math, most if not all programming concepts exists in math as well

You could say the same about economics, but would you hire a mathematician as a ceo?

The skillset arent even similar.

You can get away with learning programming while having a very dimwit handling of math. That is, unless you go into gamedev (a big meme) but otherwise you should be fine

I don't use math in programing-desu, I only use architec supra powa. Neural network iz ezy you no need use mathematik lmaooo

import TensorFlow as ts
ts.train(420)

checkmate non programmer lmaooo, so essy

Attached: 1550593460879.png (657x539, 110K)

Yeah math is an important part of programming, but it hardly exceeds high school level math

Yeah, if you use python to import anything and everything, but if you try and make something yourself with a real programming language like C++, then your brain will fail. There's math in literally everything, I seriously dare you to use only high school math for RAW OpenGL stuff.

>You could say the same about economics
sure
>but would you hire a mathematician as a ceo?
no, maybe for bookkeeping though

>The skillset arent even similar.
It's a bit similar, if you want to stay consistent and have a manageable code base you follow some kind structure inherited from mathematics, and if you have issues following formulas for algebra you are gonna have issues in programming as well. or at least you are gonna be a shit programmer.

Yeah, fucking basic math that anybody who went to high school can do. I've never had to use anything more difficult than simple calculus in programming.

Basically, you're using high level programming languages and never tackled something more complicated than web developement, congrats that's not programming, any autist can draw a function with python. Go ahead and try to make a corporate level software ( or games, even harder )

Attached: noty.jpg (450x450, 96K)

There is no structure on mathematics.
Allmost all the advanced notations have no connections between each other, the naming is absurdly confusing, theres no system of documentation, every paper is just a collection of random thought and theres no clear base for any definition or proof

Are you one of those massive tards who wants to do everytving in haskell or formal verification is better than unittests?
How often did you talk to the customer this week?

i not understood math, math bad, confuz me so mean math bad

MATH BAD

Attached: spiral.jpg (903x960, 52K)

1. It's completely ok to hack a thing together with high level languages, nothing wrong with that.
My point was that I can't stand fucking retards that think they are so fucking smart for importing a fucking
library and using it, learning a library =/= knowing what's inside of it

2. If you wanna sell your product you find people in your city that can be your customers, especially big corporations, you walk over there with a laptop, you open it, show a prototype, and ask for money. You negotiate, you sympathies with them and influence them into paying you more money. Literally 50% of the job

SideNote

I think I am so rage filled ( and sorry for the fact that I am lashing out, but it's a shithole anyway so.. ) because a couple of day ago, I made a C++ program that would take in jpg/pngs and convert them into ascii, it was for a project for a shitty programming class where the teacher doesn't even know how to program. After making it so efficient it could translate 4k images into text in less than 1minute, some fucking
dumb chick, sits next to me "what'd you do", I show her, then she pulls her JAVA project, where she imported
some kind of chemistry library that converts text like "C=C" into chemistry images, then exported that image
into a fucking window, I was impressed then she showed me literally 20 lines of code... It took her "program" literally 2 whole minutes to transform a string into a shitty fucking image that was something like 200x300px and bragging about how smart she is and how inferior I am.

What makes me rage is the fact that these people make software nowadays, she will suck a couple dicks and get to work as a "strong independent woman", This world is going to shit.

Opengl is the only thing that uses vertecies n shit.
Everything else is linear and simple

Gödel tried to establishthe axioms of math in 1950 and he was hounded off the entire field

im terrible at math and im a programmer
i just know how to use google
die

Nice blog post, autismo

Universities are a scam. Not a single topic is looked at with remotfly enough debt to be even slightly usefull at it. I hated every minute of it, even though it was pretty easy.
And just learn to tolarate roasties.
Just give her unittesting duty or let her finalize the UI or some shit so the boss gets diversity brownie points.

Yeah, I totally agree that universities are scams and should be demolished, but the fact of the
matter is that I don't even live in the states, I live in eastern europe, and over here some
women really do this and it's sad that humanity will descend into chaos, all domains have this problem
and it's fucking annoying.

IT in Europe in general is a fucking joke. Programmers are seen as a support structure for "actual buisness" at best and tech support at worst. They are underpaid and poorly substituted.
In America the Silicon Vallay Lobby may be in charge of the tech unis, but at least they know what they are doing.
For this sole reeason I wish that i was a mutt

>a C++ program that would take in jpg/pngs and convert them into ascii[...]After making it so efficient it could translate 4k images into text in less than 1minute
mind sharing the source code?

is neo Jow Forums all zoomers now?

I don't have it anymore as it was a month back and I had to nuke my system because of... linux.. I suck, just give me an hour or so and I'll send it, pop me with an email address or should I pastebin?

Most of my class mates, and people I've met along the years that are programmers in my country are so fucking beta you won't actually believe it. If they go do some business they 100% of the time fail, here's an example :

> Friend goes to get a web dev job
> Finds physical place to go and work at their PC
> Gets shitty laptop and treated like shit
> Salary is straight in hand and unlawful basically
> Barely gets $200 ( enough to live off of in my country, he was 17, still horrible )
> Boss screams at him 24/7 and calls his work shit
> Boss's wife gives list to him of what to do on website
> He completes it with all checkmarks
> Boss unchecks it all and tells him that he did nothing
> Quits
> Still comes back

This is the ultimate fucking beta way of working, I don't know why/how people do it.

I had a software shake-hand a month ago, and just finished it 1 week ago, made it with wxWidgets in C++, works flawlessly, when I went there I presented a prototype ( I use ElectronJS for my "show off" software as it's easiier to make look good ), I said 4000€, they went full red and told me it's not possible, I packed my shit and walked out, as I was walking out they told me to sit down and talk. I got down and told them that I am shook that they don't take into consideration the well-being of my co-workers ( no coworkers just me ) and that I can't go any lower or I will go bankrupt,

Guess who got €2k upfront and €2k more just a couple days ago? All you need to do is man the fuck up ffsake.

> you're using high level programming languages and never tackled something more complicated than web developement.

Web development looks fairly complicated in 2019 if you need something outside the realm of what Wordpress can do. To build a proper web application (that can scale) means you need to know HTML, CSS, Javascript, a server-language, a database system, the new Framework of the Month™ on top of each of them, and system administration as the icing on the cake. It is difficult in the sense that there is lots to juggle.

> corporate level software

Such as? I have developed "corporate level software" myself and most of it was basic CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) with some basic TCP or UDP networking, and maybe a GUI placed in front. Yes it is programming. Yes it is harder than doing basic Python exercises, but C# and .NET and have made everything easy in the Windows world and Windows is what most corporations use.

>should I pastebin?
sure thing

Made it with SFML, here's the code ( I used a header for the class )

pastebin.com/p9VVniQk

Attached: pepe_good.jpg (300x300, 22K)

>25
Are you retarded? Of course it's not late, idiot. Now get to work.
norvig.com/21-days.html

Signal processing? Crypto?

Attached: 1544348654736.jpg (500x373, 32K)

OP, if you just want stuff (like an answer to this question) handed to you like that, programming isn't for you. If you're not a wuss, sign up for a bootcamp and find out.

no, I know a boomer who started programming in his 40s. It's so fucking easy to get a job in this field if you're half decent.