If YOU don't contribute to OPEN SOURCE, you're unethical and a waste of potential

Attached: thLQ386SKR.jpg (474x808, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

Attached: 1339550542691.jpg (1024x768, 294K)

>working for free

Contribute to free software

>When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms
So call it "liberating software".
It's not free, you will become rich and gain so much in moral ground and blessings of many people.

>fix my tests
>fix my README
>fix my docs

watcha gon do

Attached: cigar2.gif (249x207, 30K)

Most free software is created by paid professionals.
Maybe the guy signing the check wants software so he can use it, rather that wanting something he can sell or license.
In that case, it would be good business sense to build on existing free software that almost does what you want. The only cost is the development of your changes, and the fact you contribute them back.

Came to post this.

Attached: jet set pepe.png (1000x1000, 177K)

k.

>contributing to some code pile without compensation when my going market price is 40€/h
just so some trannies can then slap it with CoC later on and attack me for some commit banter in attempt to destroy my career. yeah no thanks.

Attached: 1542494008760.jpg (620x456, 102K)

Serious question.
I'm in my first year of CS, but I am way ahead of what we learn in college and eager to learn more.
What would be the best way to start contributing?
I literally have no idea what to do...

Keep learning and make your own projects, then post them on GitHub. Contribute to FOSS after your first internship somewhere.

i can barely write cli matrix shifting c++ bullshit, how am i supposed to help?

Audit code and look for bugs

i could only look for syntax errors which are already taken care of at the precompilation phase
im of literally no use to anyone, not even myself

>working
Not really, it is done on a voluntary basis, on your free will. Work does not require it since you are obligated to do so to survive (Yes, it is a societal threat)
If you are good at it and enjoy making the Open Source world better then where's the problem in that? I wish I knew anything and help working on Open Source GPU drivers because we fucking need it

Open source is MORALLY BAD and UNETHICAL. It steals jobs from hardworking people. DO NOT contribute to OPEN SOURCE

Bullshit and you know it

Brainlet

Attached: 1548760351818.jpg (373x373, 20K)

what's wrong with helping people out as long as they don't use your help to get rich?

it's not work if you aren't get paid

Depends on the kind of software you make
If it's some new toy/tool for normalfags who require it to just werk, then what's even the point of making it open source
If it's for your fellow gentoomen, then yes, you gotta go the free road
For example I won't use Microsoft Office suite for document preparation, I'll go with LaTeX. Or I won't use proprietary video players, I'll go with mpv

As a white male I don't want to risk oppressing anyone by contributing to their project or open sourcing any of my own projects thereby increasing the net contributions of white males to open source. So I just keep my code to myself and interact with open source only as a user. I think it would be wrong of me to even submit bug reports or PRs as I could be depriving some less represented person the opportunity of doing so. The upshot is I stay in my lane, use open source, and fix bugs myself for my own use. I would never contribute code or documentation.

> "so call it liberating software."
Same fucking thing happened with open source, look where we are now. Call the things as they should be called.

what happens when you introduce poolitics into fucking code. Keep them off it, and it'll go dandy.

This. I never release any of my code because I know people are going to steal it. I know this because I do that. Copy paste and release it as proprietary

I get paid to work full time on FOSS

Attached: smugstockimage.jpg (259x194, 6K)

I use Gimp all the time to make memes for shitposting which i spread all over the internetz. Therefore my shitposting is contributing to the FOSS community.

>you're unethical and a waste of potential
How so?

Exactly.

I know you're trolling, but large western companies can't do this with GPL'd code, lest they be sued or prosecuted for copyright infringement.