What's the most stable distro? I don't like bleeding edge and arch has broken one too many times for me

What's the most stable distro? I don't like bleeding edge and arch has broken one too many times for me.

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.com/info/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You started this thread just to perpetuate the "arch breaks often" meme, didn't you?

No I need advice about what Jow Forums recommends when I just wan't a low-maintenance comfy distro.

windows

Debian, I recommend NetInstall ISO by the way.

Well in that case, I recommend arch linux, so fuck you.

Debian.

I can't fathom why you would bother asking this question when the obvious answer is to INSTALL GENTOO

macOS

ubuntu gnome /thread

Manjaro

Arch Linux.

MX Linux.

Thanks all, I decided to go with Void

Attached: 0e9.jpg (499x499, 26K)

Attached: 1485552253478.jpg (580x369, 49K)

gentoo

Slackware is the most stable distro hands down. The closest thing you'll find to it in the OS world is a BSD.

Attached: DyRaheMVAAAmIEn.jpg (637x474, 40K)

OP here, hadn't heard of slackware. Thanks user.

Slackware is the oldest actively maintained distro in existence. It's stated project goals are to provide the most "UNIX like" Linux distro, and provide a system where they have "always considered simplicity and stability paramount."
slackware.com/info/
Have fun with it, user.

I'd go with Debian and XFCE

/thread

Attached: 1024px-Suckless_logo.svg.png (1024x668, 4K)

nixos

CentOS

*ubuntu lts

Debian stable with xfce4. Peak comfy stability .

a good linux distro depends on the desktop environment you use with it. gnome for example is not the same with every distro. it sucks with certain distros

manjaro budgie = buggy piece of shit
manjaro gnome = buggy piece of shit

manjaro as a whole is a shit distro. when you experience the alternatives, you realize how buggy and shit it is

solus budgie = great, stable
fedora gnome - okay, stable

Attached: zkBRlgB.jpg (700x1050, 78K)

Slackware is honestly the most stable if you install from the getgo, Devuan is better imho

Debian or his little brother Devuan that doesn't have systemcuckD. Don't bother with anything else.

Debian+dww
Arch+dwm
Gentoo+dwm

Everything else is shit

Mint Xfce

Slackware is by far the most stable I have ever used.

Debian is by far the best Linux distro I have used in the past 15+ years of using Linux on desktops, laptops, and servers.

I am really hesitant to even say this because I know out there somewhere in the shadows waits an evil to try their best to destroy Debian or anything else good and useful.

Attached: 4222194987662.png (1260x854, 629K)

Long live debian. Shits so good.

>I can't wait for all the good devs and maintainers to get out so me and my friends can destroy linux because we can't program for shit
I hate this piece of shit so much

Arch is broken by design because it have very poor support, most of packages you need to maintain yourself. That is the common issue with meme distros for retards: arch, gentoo and derivatives, this is shit tier.
Mid tier is Ubuntu and derivatives - you got base “main” system supported by Canonical paid personnels and “universe”/“multiverse” packages borrowed from Debian community.
Also you can use random PPA sheet from pajeets but in this case you can say goodbye to “stability” and forget about automatic updates without breakages. Mid tier is also OpenSUSE - they have basic supported system too but one “make install” or third-party pajeets package may ruine your stability. They package collection is too small.
Top tier - Debian, the biggest package collection supported by community. You can seamlessly upgrade from 1.0 to 9.8 without any issues. The only problem is long release cycle.
God tier - Redhat-based distros. You can select RedHat Enterprise with paid support, or CentOS - the same packages collection for free, but they still maintained from RedHat paid personnels. If you need latest kernel and other popular recent software you can choose Fedora or EPEL repo for CentOS, still no any issues while you does not run “make install” and did not add pajeet repos.

Not arch

Attached: arch bloated.png (383x400, 23K)

do not listen to this garbage; do you research on each of these distro families and learn for yourself that this is bullshit

>wants to talk about distros
>posts an image of the Linux kernel
Why?

>What's the most stable distro?
Arch Linux DOT

Attached: 2019-02-19-23:42:35_505x205_scrot.png (505x205, 12K)

Nigger, you cant foool meeeeee
That post nails it

> I don’t have any arguments but want to comment
Great discussion skills, Jamal

>a mascot is now a kernel
Wut?

manjaro

Did you check the Jow Forums wiki?

Anything based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

You have the official Ubuntu flavours even a puppy linux spin off. 18.04 LTS has plans to provide security updates for the next 8 years. So in theory you can disable all non-security updates, and only update web browser and programs that connect to the Internet and with a firewall on you should be totally secure.

That's matches Windows tier stability which is good for business and autist that complain when updates break things.

Attached: 1549858828022.gif (500x500, 1.63M)

Debian stable. You're package versions will be like 5 years behind Arch.

obviously slackware and gentoo is right next to it. why the fuck is everyone saying debian? the packages are ancient which I usually don't mind but they're also buggy as hell. debian 9 is by far the worst debian release of them all and I fear 10

2nd CentOS

Gentoo is stable.

But it doesn't really depend on you using dwm, that's more your own choice of WM.

You want stable?
Fedora Workstation for userland
Debain Stable for serverland.

If you hate having to compile and install everything manually use CentOS.
basically a professional Slackware that actually evolved.
^I'm not the only one.
And I'm not even using CentOS, I'm using Fedora.
I want to say Debian stable but is right. Debian 9 shitted itself so badly adopting systemd and then not fixing it, is just stupid. Yeah you don't have security bugs, but it has behavior bugs that fucking annoy the user. I find it stupid. It got trannied hard after Ian's death.
CentOS and Fedora are the only linux distros that I'd use with systemd, Slackware is stable but is high maintenance. Gentoo sure would be better, but I don't know about it being stable.
>"It is as stable as you want!"
yeah no shit mate, but people talk about upgrading for security without compatibility and libraries breaking

KDE Neon

Attached: 1454957609625.png (2000x2241, 810K)

>compile and install everything manually
on which distro besides LFS do you do this?

debian

elementaryOS as long as you don't fuck with the actual internals too much. It works very well for me.

>arch has broken one too many times for me.
interesting, could you list some?

systemd is a Microsoft product

If you're willing to invest some time: Nixos
Else: Debian

Slackware has no binary packages outside the repos. If it's not included, you'll be compiling, or using third party binaries.

Just take a package manager you like and do a netinstall of that distro with the bare bones and build up. It's the final stage before...ya know....Install Gentoo.

Debia
Debian

can confirm fedora. it does not "roll", it does not "bleed", but it does biennial releases with tons of prerelease QA testing and bug-fixes throughout its support cycle (until the next+1 release)
id like to recommend ubuntu, for much the same reasons, but it is too dependent on the pure retardation that is debian.

>God tier
>RedHat Enterprise/CentOS
Do I really need to argue with someone who just put two distros designed for servers above everything else? Are you really going to pretend that EPEL, basically the AUR for CentOS (not a good thing), provides the latest and most recent software? Fedora is fine, but it's nothing spectacular that would warrant its position over any of the other distros in your list, and yum is complete dog shit. Also almost stopped reading when you said Gentoo has "very poor support, most packages you need to maintain yourself". Good bait; made me reply.

came here to post this

also while im at it, fuck arch and fuck fat neckbeards who masturbate to it

install gentoo, it's not a main in the ass
and it's really stable

>If you hate having to compile and install everything manually use CentOS.
I had to compile a lot on CentOS because its repo is just lacking so much stuff

>Thats it, install the only popular distro where you have to compile EVERYTHING from source
>Why? Because compiling looks pretty and I like to feel important
>No I dont have a job, why do you ask

Jow Forumsentoo, not even once

Has anyone actually gone ahead and pulled their code contributions to the kernal? I know there was threats but I haven't heard much past that.

he touch stinky feet wiht smelly hand

ArchLabs

>but it is too dependent on the pure retardation that is debian
kek, true. Too bad I used to like Debian because it is splitted very heavily
Still is way less than slackware.
For example you have kvm and libvirt by default.
In Centos at least you have third party binaries, and those will not randomly break because CentOS doesn't change much, so there's time for the third party repos to fix their binaries.
Also when you compile something it will have a guide because red hat based distros are used a lot in the industry.

Non meme answers: Debian, Devuan, MX Linux and Slackware.
Meme answers: Ubuntu, Fedora

>Fedora
>meme
they make the standard, retard

>distros designed for servers
citation needed(tm)
If you mean "designed with long time support" then yes, then is the main reason of my distro tiers ranking. And support is the same for "servers" and "desktops", only shit tier distros supports only base cdrom-size desktop packages with own logos and take the rest from other sources unsupported.
> EPEL, basically the AUR
No.
EPEL basically Fedora. Most of Redhat people support packages for EPEL and current Fedoras at the same time. Nothing to do with AUR - AUR is just a bunch of random pajeet build scripts without any support.
> yum is complete dog shit
The only real argument about yum - yum is slow - is incorrect, you just need to edit default metadata expiration checks, on default settings it refresh packages list on every command. When you change it to reasonable time - it works blazing fast. Do you have other arguments about yum?

Debian+Xfce4.
Comfy shit.

What would be reasonable settings? t. fedorafag

>non meme are literally out of date buggy copies of Fedora and broken systemdlet distros
>meme is Fedora
lmao

Yeah, the standard of breaking with a fart in the wind
Yes, meme is Fedora. Those "broken" distros you're talking about, I've been running them for years and never had an issue upgrading nor doing anything else. It just works

debian is the true potential of linux, apart from systemD, its the best distro. its reliable AF for DE i recomend staying away from cinnamon even though its so pretty its still buggy and performs poorly