Is the stuff I do in Visual Studio some kind of fake Microsoft version of C or is it fine? What IDE do I use to write C?

Is the stuff I do in Visual Studio some kind of fake Microsoft version of C or is it fine? What IDE do I use to write C?

Attached: lol.jpg (379x499, 27K)

You don't use an IDE with C.

I windows you could use DevC++

atom and make
not really an ide

VIM
I
M

>Is the stuff I do in Visual Studio some kind of fake Microsoft version of C or is it fine?
Depends on what you're doing. msvc has notoriously bad C support historically but I don't know the current state of that.
>What IDE do I use to write C?
You'll find that most don't use IDE unless it's because of debugging features (like visual studio).
Focusing your projects around cmake (not msbuild) makes them more portable.

If you're just learning try to find the method with least friction. Others can opine on that.

I recommend Geany.

Do not listen vim-retards and use MSVC if you want to have a job.

a unix-like operating system

*giggles*

Attached: ide_codeblocks_x64.png (655x277, 26K)

this

What's the difference between MSVC and 'real' C? Forgot to add, I'm indeed trying to learn C and I read somewhere that Visual Studio supports C so that's where I started out, but opinions on it vary

Install Ubuntu.
Open terminal.
Type gedit program.c
Write something in it.
Save.
Open another terminal and type gcc program.c.
Run it with ./a.out.

It all depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to write Windows applications in C, use something like Visual Studio. If you just want to learn basic C you can still use VS, you just have to stay away from Microsoft extensions and stick to ANSI C.

>ANSI C
How does it feel like living in the 90s?

On Windows I use "Pelles C" it's pretty good.

I try to avoid Windows though.

The visual studio is excessively permissive.
If you code like real C/C++, it will accept it, but there are some fuck ups you can do on visual studio you can't do on GCC.

No, you fool,
gcc -Wall -std=csomething program.c

Visual studio doesn't even have a proper c compiler, my negro friend.

It's a bit annoying to set up, but after you did, it is pretty decent.

MSVC only supports C89 (the ansi C standard) but then again C hasn't evolved much over the years, so use it if it gets 5hw job done, goy.

I recommend Acme

>What IDE do I use to write C?
Clion. Code blocks is the less shitty alternative