I just went through hell with a drive malfunctioning on me because i tried to dd urandom it...

i just went through hell with a drive malfunctioning on me because i tried to dd urandom it, and obviously it erased the MBR and all the drive's knowledge of its bad sectors, then both windows and linux were not giving me access to repair the MBR, until i found lilo which let me do it instantly.
but now the drive says it has 999GB free. i know this is not true. should i be concerned? is it worth fixing?
im 100% sure the hard drive isnt broken despite everything telling me hardware issues. it worked 100% and did a full backup before i tried to erase it.

Attached: 1539227077302.jpg (640x482, 85K)

What in the absolute fuck is going on in that image?

and while im at it, is
>cp /dev/urandom new.txt
a good way of achieving a wipe when the drive has bad sectors? even when i set dd to ignore errors, it still stalls after a few gigabytes.

Magic.

>i tried to dd urandom it
lol why?
>obviously it erased the MBR
Yes, along with the partition table
> and all the drive's knowledge of its bad sectors,
Nope, that's stored on some NVRAM that the drive's firmware accesses.
>but now the drive says it has 999GB free.
It probably does since I'm guessing you made a new partition table with a new empty file system.

Question OP, are you trying to remover files? What the fuck are you trying to achieve? Either way, download gParted and boot in to that. You can format it however you see fit and run a surface level scan for bad sectors if you want.

insane dongle setup from usb c to ethernet to fucking coat hanger to ethernet

Someone trying to induce RF interference on their ethernet cable methinks.

OP here, the wires from the destroyed ethernet cable are tied around the coathangers so this he can use the other half of the cable.
i would assume he did this because somebody cut his ethernet cord in half (roommate, mom) because the person who took the photo is a lazy little shit and needs to go outside?

The fuck are you even doing? All even remotely modern drives store data on bad sectors etc. by themselves, to fuck it up you'd need to damage its firmware.

no
its purely for comedy

Attached: 1550615052320.jpg (640x482, 120K)

I remember that one.
I bet most people here can't figure out what it's for.

whenever i run gparted it creates partitions that are only accessible to root. or are you talking about the gparted iso?
i was trying the clear my files off the disk because i need to use this computer on windows botnet and it needs to go with me back and forth from work (risk of theft on public transport).
this drive was used previously for personal files, but now its only for work.

should i be
>making new partition table with gparted
>making my partitions
>using lilo to fix up the MBR
???

also sorry im such a newfag. ive been here for a few years but ive never been in a situation where i had to erase a drive (mine have always been full and no backups). now i can afford backups and that means i have the legroom to erase drives.

this if your drive is behaving like you're describing its probably not because you erased the partition table but the drive controller or firmware is fucked

then why does dd urandom stall on bad sectors? the same bad sectors that badblocks picks up early in its scan.

i am aware, but was just thinking of a situation where this would happen
shortly after posting i remembered laptops have wifi

>are you talking about the gparted iso?
Yes, download that and boot from a USB drive (or optical, whatever)

If you're just needing to turn it in to a work computer just wipe all partitions and then boot from whatever install media you're going to use for Windows and let the Windows installer worry about making them. No reason to over complicate it.

Is that a fucking home made crossover cable?

the drive worked perfectly before i started erasing it. and minus the free space lie, it works perfectly now. im doing a cp /dev/urandom new.txt right now to erase it and its working fine again but this erase is inside the filesystem.
mine at least cant detect bad blocks outside of the file system (/dev/sdb), but when i write urandom to a text file in the main directory it works without a hitch
maybe its a my device specific thing?

ethernet abortion device

its a portable hard drive. i take it to work use it on my workstation, take it home and use it on my >gaymen computer if i need to work after hours.
i use gnu for everything else, and thats what the hard drive was being used on previously, had tax, family photos, bank stuff, other docos on it too that i dont want some chump to recover if i lose it on the train. people get mugged a lot on my commute to work.
average mugger isnt gonna be smart enough to do file recovery, but i dont wanna take any chances
also fuck windows telemetry too

Anything with ethernet made in the past 10 years does not need special crossover cables for crossover anymore, it auto detects

It's possible that you have a mechanical defect in someplace which wasn't partitioned previously, in this case the HDD will try to slowly process it with screeching maybe, if the affected zone is too big it may run out of reserve sectors, which would be bad.

>and all the drive's knowledge of its bad sectors
no, sweetheart

>there are no limits to what i will not do to not go outside

That is OP's abortion clinic.

Then just make 1 partition and make it NTFS. Use a program to wipe the empty data if you're worried about le hackers. Shit isn't hard user.
>also fuck windows telemetry too
Man, I hate Win10 like everyone else and don't have it installed but this isn't even the subject of the thread. Quit being a total sperg.
God I hope you don't work in IT since this is BASIC shit be it operating in Linux or Windows.

Attached: 1525106431427.gif (400x400, 867K)

What you need to do is go to the manufacturers website
There they will have software and/or firmware that will reapply all the drives geometry data.
What you have domne is erased part of the drive geometry tables

Go to manufacturers website -start looking for the tools they use to setup drive geometry