/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1550618756438.jpg (3264x2448, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(abstract_data_type)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections
mary.dfki.de:59125/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: all-fucking-niggers-must-fucking-hang.jpg (480x358, 90K)

Just props to that user that recommended me cmus. It's fucking great. Thanks fren.

Attached: zt.jpg (685x385, 55K)

Why is this happening? My sources.list is fine.

Attached: wtf.png (729x468, 224K)

/fglt/ - Faggot GNU/Linux Thread

Those are programming tights, you knucklehead.

Did you add the Trisquel repo for some reason? I've seem this happening before. People try to install IceCat by adding the Trisquel repo and Trisquel updates the OS name.

Those are male's (male) legs, aren't they.

>skirt
>male
Pick 1.

I wish I was too this innocent, user.

I think you're right, I installed IceCat a while back and I vaguely remember using the Trisquel repo, now that you mention it. How can I remedy this? I no longer have the repo in my sources.

males (male) legs best legs

just edit it

I always forget, what's the variable I need to change to modify the string in my terminal, before the stuff I type?
Like the string that defaults usually to "username@hostname$" or something like that.

PS1 in your bashrc

That's the one. Thanks

Redpill me on pushd & popd with an example workflow. I'm too brainlet to get it.
I usually just:
>cd /mydir/
># do stuff in /mydir/
>cd -
># do stuff in old dir
>cd -
># do stuff in /mydir/

Attached: 1550624283190.jpg (1035x1280, 98K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(abstract_data_type)

I asked this in the last thread but didn't get a response. I want play scenes from my mobage in bluestacks and then record them with software. Will my hardware allow for this? OS Linux Mint

-i3 6100
-RX 470 4gb
-8gb ram

Attached: 1548656216117.png (624x624, 335K)

Does bluestacks have hardware acceleration? If not i'd imagine anything you attempt to stream/record would hit massive cpu locks

If I remove all Gnome stuff from my Debian installation, afaik, I'll have to login through a terminal when I power on my computer. (gnome display manager will be removed, so no graphical login screen)
That's fine, but how do I choose which window manager I want to run after I login that way?

You need to be purged
Have a nice thread, faggot

>xorg-xinit
>echo exec WM > ~.xinitrc

What'd be the best way to parse shit like
text I wantin bash

makes sense. Thanks

Ok, thank you. I haven't used bluestacks yet and don't know much about android emulation.

man awk

Isn't there a pure-bash-er way to do it? I don't whip up shit like awk/sed/perl for such a simple thing

what, your homework says you can't use any of those?

Yeah they won't let me graduate from kindergarten if I can't do this in pure bash

A while back on my old computer, I was using a simple CLI time tracker program on Arch. I'd type in a few words when I started a project, and another few words to switch projects. It would keep track of the amount of time that I was spending on various things. Does anyone know anything that sounds like this? I've been trying to find it again, but can't for the life of me.

Yeah, the pure bash way is to call something like grep, sed, or awk.

He's just making the case for girls (male).

you can do it with parameter expansion, but I would just use bash to call a program that has proper regex to do it in a more proper way

So this is the average Jow Forumsentoo"man"

date >> tits.txt && echo titties >> tits.txt
date >> butts.txt && echo booties >> butts.txt

Polybar vs tint2 vs lemonbar?
Any thoughts/opinions?

I'd like to have my PS1 string change depending if I have a sudo session active. I thought %# did this, but apparently not.
Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

I've used polybar and lemonbar. Honestly I've never had any reason to prefer one or the other, only that I'll sometimes find a config that I like. They both give you what you'd expect - time, battery power, volume, etc. In 99% of cases, you'll function just as well with one as with the other (and I strongly suspect the same judgement applies to tint2 as well).

Although maybe this is just me being bitter over all the time I wasted trying to get the "perfect" status bar (I ended up getting a new computer, sticking with the default polybar config and have literally never noticed any functional differences).

put your PS1 inside
>root
/root/.bashrc
>regular user
~/.bashrc

Attached: 1550634253566.png (720x456, 30K)

Is there a reason for an init to be particularly fast?

More specifically, is there any downside to an init hanging temporarily? Its child processes wouldn't hang as well would they?

Or here, with real regex:
$ [[ 'text I want' =~ \(.*)\ ]] && echo "${BASH_REMATCH[1]}"
text I want

>Install Ubuntu on old windows 8.1 desktop with fucky mobo and like a 4th gen i5 on an old (heavily used) 120gb SSD that I stole from the scrap pile at work
>works beautifully

Decide I like it, so I:
>install Ubuntu (from the same usb) onto my brand new Asus vivobook laptop with 8th gen i5 and 120gb M.2 SSD
>slow as shit, 4 minute boot, cpu at 100% utilization, with only terminal open

WHY

It works so good on the shitbox, but barely at all on a new laptop. This new laptop was running Windows10 pro with no problem. I don’t want to have to use Linux only on my backup desktop. Someone please help. Should I just install debian instead? The laptop has 8 GB RAM, but says it’s only using 20% of it.

Maybe it’s GNOME being too heavy? Any advice? The install took way longer than it has on my other machines and update && upgrade took like 40 minutes. General hanging, buttons don’t respond to clicking, programs take 4-6 minutes to open. Any advice? Pls and thx

Attached: DE9AA8CF-6B35-494D-B76F-197599FC34F9.jpg (944x606, 117K)

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate it. Now my goal of writing a web browser in pure bash are one step closer to reality

Just the boot speeds as far as I know. An init's job is to init. Once it's inited then it's job is done and whether it's slow or fast shouldn't matter.
The exception of course being systemd, since it's NOT just an init system (as Poettering himself admits) then it's more important for systemd to be fast than it is for other init systems to be fast.

my arch + xfce is giving me an error when trying to suspend.
"Authentication is required to suspend the system"
any suggestions?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate

thanks

Everytime my ubuntu 18.04 it flashed a message like this:
"Press ctrl+c to cancel all filesystem checks in progress"
And then continue to boot as normal.
I already check filesystem and everything all "clean".
my maximum count is already -1 and interval is 0.

What does it mean? Is there anything wrong or it is normal behaviour?
please help!!

Your system drive should be set to fsck on every boot before being mounted.
This is normal

simplest way to xor all the bits in a file with some pattern or other file?

like image-related
it last for about 300ms

Attached: 44595b791404f65aaf15.jpg (894x443, 160K)

This is normal. Check your grub or what ever ubuntu uses if you want to disable it

Stop associating gay community with Linux.
This is not an apple thread.

>rest of the world uses Ctrl+C to copy
>Linux uses it to cancel

Why does Linux do everything different? Do they think it's cool or something?

Attached: gwen_angry.png (634x600, 390K)

There is no capacity to "copy" before the kernel is even booted

Maybe there should be.

It's 2019. I expect my bootloader to at least have a Twitter client.

Windows and Mac also use control+c to terminate on the terminal. It's an ancient standard that long predates linux or copy and paste shortcuts.

Linux does have absolutely terrible copy and paste functionality though. Every application has a completely different system, sometimes incompatible, and always with different key bindings. And you lose your clipboard if you close the application.

Debian would be better IMO. Werks on a 2017 laptop I picked up a while back.

Check your logs and check top/htop see what's eating cpu.

those knees are too masculine.

Ok thanks. So it is normal behaviour.
Installed Ubuntu day ago
I just notice it today, kind of freaks me out.

Mac is a device.

>8/10, would not bang.jpg

Not if you add cheese. Then it's food.

a little bit annoying sometimes, but could been worse.
I'm grateful that Linux exists at all.
Without Linux and Unix in general OS world will be rule by monopolism and would be much worse.

Touché

Attached: 1550361659630.gif (640x495, 507K)

Linux is a kernel.

That was already done.
Yes, IRC client too.
Give up.

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP

I did not say it is not.
It would sounds weird if I say kernel world instead of OS world.

Stray characters are a bitch.

So I write programs and documents with Vim, normally in the terminal. I have a Nordic keyboard layout. And for the longest time, I've had this annoyance: every time I type a character that requires pressing the AltGr key, I accidentally also insert a stray character into the text.

For example, the square brackets [] require an AltGr press, but usually I still have AltGr down by accident when I press space after typing the closing bracket. So every time I write an array, I get compilation errors from stray characters.

src/gui.c:566:56: error: stray ‘\302’ in program
src/gui.c:566:57: error: stray ‘\240’ in program

Is there a way to disable those characters from being typed with AltGr down? Or at least make Vim highlight those stray characters so I could find them before compilation time.

Attached: biking.jpg (604x603, 70K)

do you guys run your own dict server?

I installed parrot to fuck around with, and I'm completely blown away by the fact that I don't have "info" on my system. Do distros just not include this shit?

Hey guys, I wanted to know where custom file association config files are located, I'm using Lubuntu. For example I use appimages for certain applications like Krita and I've bound the .kra files to execute the appimage when I double click on them, but I dont know where the config files are stored.

Attached: screenshot.png (476x470, 64K)

/usr/share/applications for systemwide
~/.local/share/applications for user

Hey, which one from these?

Attached: screenshot_1.png (835x691, 166K)

"man" is more standard

I think I somehow have 2 clipboards. One gets pasted if I press CTRL+V, and one gets pasted when I click with the mousewheel.
How do I get rid of the mousewheel one?

Does anyone have a good idea as to which distro would be good/best for a 2in1 laptop? I tend to use a stylus to write a lot and I am not wowed by manjaro gnome's performance in this regard, even after getting the proper drivers and fiddling around.

Sorry, what?

Attached: iamnoman.png (564x412, 1K)

what the fuck man
what distro are you using?

>I think I somehow have 2 clipboards. One gets pasted if I press CTRL+V, and one gets pasted when I click with the mousewheel.
That's how X works
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections
>How do I get rid of the mousewheel one?
If the primary selection is being copied to the clipboard without pressing anything, then your clipboard manager is configured to synchronize both selections. Check if there is an option to disable that.

Thoughts on devuan? I want to move away from systemD. Currently using Arch. Pros/cons?

Attached: images (7).jpg (400x400, 6K)

Disgusting font rendering.
How can you fuck up this hard.

Is it retarded to think that installing fonts trough the package manager is insecure or am I onto something?

it's literally debian without systemd. Nothing more and a bit less (it has limited or no support for things that hard depends on systemd obviously).

it's retarded.

The chance that there is a bug in fontconfig that could fuck up your computer with specially crafted bogus font files AND an attacker uploading these font files to distros' repos is like 1:100000000000000000000000000000000.

Anyone got a nice voice synthesis software?
I don't like how espeak sounds.
Bonus point if it can also speak japanese

Marytts or microsoft mimic?

The earlier has examples here.
mary.dfki.de:59125/

Sorry, I think it was mycroft mimic.

Just looked marytts.
Now looking into mycroft
I'm looking for something offline

I'm trying to install manjaro alongside windows seven on an old laptop, but the installer can't resize partition automatically. What am I supposed to do?

Maybe you can resize the partition in Windows?

>manjaro

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

swap disk... is this the same as paging file on windows? if so is it needed? i never used paging with my ssd and it had no effect on windows except for wolfenstein new blood.

Can someone explain to me the systemD debate?

Not a Linux network administrator, so how does it affect me as a Linux desktop user?