Which desktop?

which one and why...
lxde/lxqt, xfce, gnome, kde, mate, budgie.
using ubuntu mini iso. It gives the option to choose between DE's.

Attached: bye bye.jpg (620x330, 16K)

macOS BECAUSE ITS WHAT PROFFESIONALS USE

Eh, just try kde or a random one, you can install the other ones later.

don't they interfere with each other?

Xfce or KDE.

KDE coexists peacefully with others, the fucking foot on the other hand thinks the world centered around it.

So will be sorting by ram usage here. If you want best X11 and Wayland support, Gnome 3, no choice. If X11 only, LXQt. If Wayland only, KDE even though it has an X11 version. Going more lightweight and using tiling WMs, if X11 only, i3, if Wayland only, Sway.

/thread

Not terribly. You'll pick one at login time.

isnt kde resource heavy like gnome?

I usually use either KDE or Cinnamon. They both look great and function well.

dual boot Linux and windows 10(unfucked edition)

I just use open box with tint2.

Still lighter than windows 10, RAM usage still way less than browsers

Not relative to what a modern computer can do.

But relative to something like the common tiling WMs (I use one of these for usability reasons), sure, it's heavy. Feel free to try all of them.

i'm a noob and trying to keep shit easy lol. the list in my op is all i have to choose from. they're actually just pre-configured DE's from the ubuntu flavors... xubuntu, lubuntu kubuntu, etc etc. minimal installs though.

Yeah, should've kept it simpler. I will echo others in saying go for KDE for simplest transition from Windows and Lubuntu if you are willing to take a a deep dive and some risks to give up some conveniences for a lighter OS.

true. i've tried ubuntu and mint.. both are laggy and screen tear even after setting up nvidia drivers and 144hz. mouse is less responsive... like i have to click everything twice for it to register. mint took about 2 minutes from power on to desktop. cinnamon used 690mb of ram compared to gnomes 1100mb. Couldn't get it to stop lagging though. (19.1)

depends, how do you like using your computer?
clicking(mouse driven) use DE, doesn't matter which DE it's all had the same functionality just difference interface if you don't like all of them use fvwm.
shortcut(keyboard driven) you could use DE and setup shortcut or use WM it's minimal, lightweight, fast, high custom ability but some took long time to config i'd suggest dwm, awesomewm, herbstluftwm those 3 have really minimal config so you can just go back to shitposting

i use my pc for making techno and art.
i suppose light on resources counts most.

use DE then doesn't matter which it's all the same if you come from windows or familiar with windows environment and want it to be like windows you can try KDE, cinnamon for the lightweight LXDE/QT, xfce
and if you come from mac you can try gnome, budgie, deepin it had similarities but different there is no lightweight one for this kind of desktop i believe gnome is hit or miss
or early linux de that doesn't look like any OSes you can try gnome2 or mate both are very lightweight
want more lighter? don't like all DE? try fvwm or openbox it's ugly but functional and you can customize it on how do you like (require lot of configuration)
or try it all so you will know which one is suitable for your like

settled on xfce. has a dock lol. and lightweight.

Attached: 1.jpg (301x490, 26K)

Attached: DaFoot.jpg (498x700, 37K)

LXQT is nice, it sits between KDE and Xfce.

"sits between"
looks or ram usage?
resources are important to me.
i'm up and running with xfce and its using 450mb idle. thats an extra Gb compared to windows and gnome.

i really liked mint but it was laggy.
i liked the dock/panel in gnome but gnome was laggy and used 1.2 Gb ram.

its a waste of ram. I have 8gb lol.
windows is very responsive. i never payed for it. used KMSpico.... didn't trust it though...

and most importantly.. you can't beat free.
also no spying cortana or other bullshit

lxqt is less resource hungry than xfce but it lacks features.
between the two, i would pick xfce because it does a lot more and has better customizability.
if you use kwin with lxqt, it pulls in lots of kde libraries as dependencies, so perhaps thats what that peter was thinking of. nowadays every DE is bloat so it doesnt really matter anyways.
the dealbreaker is that you can get away with a pure gtk environment, but not vice versa, so there will always be that one gtk app that breaks your qt theming.

Xfce is best for ramlets

dwm