Productivity general /pg/

Hello user, let's have a productivity thread.

How do you prevent yourself from shitposting too much and get actual work done?
I feel like that if I am on my laptop (x220), and only have that at hand, i can output a lot more stuff, than on my desktop.
On my desktop i have a big screen, a comfy chair and just start shitposting. Should I completely ditch my desktop and go for laptop use only?

How do you prevent yourself from distraction? Any ideas are welcome.

Attached: productivity.jpg (1000x600, 156K)

shitposting regularly is productive.

Have a calendar and schedule your daily activities and follow it to the point. Thunderbird has a really good built in calendar you can use for exactly that. I don't even use it for email, just the calendar.

Also try to have a seperate table to do work at, sometimes association is key with table for work and computer desk for relaxation.

Im working remotely full time and work on my (docked) laptop only because it helps me separate private and professional stuff. As said separation is important, you need to see what kind you need.
Have whatever task tracking method that works for you and stick to time blocks dedicated to those tasks. If you need your browser for a task for lookup or whatever, close every tab you dont need and keep your task in mind while browsing. That helps me catch myself if I get distracted and open an irrelevant tab.

Attached: 2MM80.jpg (499x748, 71K)

I think separation might be the key why i feel more productive on my laptop. Since I only use it for uni stuff, which is just work 99% of the time. So yeah, i might should rearrange my stuff. Thanks for the reminder

not OP but I'll practice the advice a soon as Possible. thanks user

>work has flexible hours
>start going in to the office less and less
>can't stay on task while at home unless it's past midnight

I can tell it's a downward spiral...

imagine leaving work and being at home, but you're still at work, and you're gonna continue being at work until you go to sleep to prepare to go to work again the next day

Attached: fumo kill.jpg (3264x1836, 1.36M)

That is basically the case yes except I can't masturbate in the office

just go to the bathroom and jerk off on company time
don't do this if you're salaried tho

That's why i don't do remote work ever. If you are just a stupid employee you shouldn't work a minute more than you have to. I did it too, but once you make yourself comfy with that it is really relaxing. Just don't work for something you won't get paid for. Everything else is leisuretime. Leisuretime can be really hard and frustrating too when you want to learn stuff, but you do it because you want to. Don't ever do it because you think you have to

Does this apply if I'm paid hourly? Hard to know what the right balance is. Currently I don't mind working long hours because programming is fun and I feel like I'm building something that people will value.

It doesn't apply if you get paid the actual hours you are putting into it. You shouldn't work too much if it fucks up your head obviously, but if you enjoy it that's fine I guess.

The only point is that one should not work for free because you think they demand that from you.

Hi user,

I recently read a book call "deep work" and, while it sometimes over justifies certain topics, a couple of ideas that stick to me were the following:

- you brain prefers to do mundane tasks (answering emails, go to meetings, etc) since most of the times they are effortless. People are lazy by nature, break that habit

- make a daily plan and stick to it as much as possible. I have been doing mine on the day before, it is a nice way to review what I did, what I over/under shoot in terms of reserved time for certain tasks and also to define windows for those mundane tasks

- disconnect yourself, get bored. Your brain needs to understand the difference between work and relax time in order to be efficient. If you are in work mode all the time, you are not being efficient

- the current tech culture assumes that you are always available for communication, i.e. emails. Go against that (as much as possible of course), if you are constantly distracted by something external, your brain can never truly focus

- also on emails, if the sender did not spend the time to write something eligible, thoughtful and comprehensible, why should you give your time and attention to that sender? Most people just prefer to pass their problems to somebody else instead of asking for help, so don't make other people's problems your own.

- I also configure my browser for as much anonymity as possible (firefox, Mozilla wiki, privacy tweaks). One of the consequences is having to login to online accounts every time I close the browser. Since I use Firefox, I do it everyday. I find myself much less tempted to login to social media networks once in realize I have to type the password, confirm with my phone and get emails warning me about a possible new intruder in my inbox.

- don't complain if you can do anything to change the situation. Either do something about or shut the fuck up.

- stop being a fagot. Just in general.

>- stop being a fagot. Just in general.
Thanks. I'll take that advice! Didn't know about that before lol xD

What are some good task tracking methods that you can suggest?

I use a calender where I note all major tasks, for example "Run new experiments on cluster", and break those down into chunks that represent required action associated with it. To stick with the example, thered be stuff like "update repo on cluster ", "add new job scripts", "backup and clean results" and such stuff.
Obviously you might not know all subtasks ahead of time, but whenever one appears you should write if down and check how it fits into the overall task. Take care of the subtasks either in required order (if there is one ) or start with the easiest one, if that is apparent.

Naturally, some task might seem or actually be atomic, but you can still use this approach in these cases to track newly emerging parts of it.
That's just how it worked for me so far, maybe its helpful to someone else too.

I see, thanks for the suggestion. Will try this out.

I'm trying out a self modified version of bullet journaling. I kind of fucked this month up but I essentially want a way to have a full calendar over two pages in notebook, and then a daily log type thing afterwards. I don't get a lot of the stuff that you're supposed to do so I'm just doing what feels right to me.

Plain Notebooks are my goto thing.
They are hard to get started with, but you should start developing small goals anyways. Those things are so great, you can structure them however you want.
I usually have one week with my tasks for each day on two pages and all kinds of other notes on the next two pages (if i need more ill just expand), but then rinse and repeat

>Dedicated workspaces
Separate a certain area in your vicinity from all the rest and dedicate it solely for work. This can be an entire room, but it could just as well be half of a desk. Keep it clean and organised, so that it's accessible easily. And make this separation absolute, almost autistically. This can also be further enhanced with dedicated tools, such as a dedicated working lamp, a dedicated working chair, and so on.

>Delayed instead of immediate gratification
Work hard, play even harder. Whenever you do accomplish something, make sure to reward yourself well. Enjoy it fully, genuinely, as if you truly deserve it, free of any guilt or bad consciousness. And avoid giving yourself stimulation without having done anything for it. The devil's in the details: no breakfast before doing your bed and brushing your teeth, no shitposting before cleaning your desk, and so on.

>Monitor your behaviour
Keep track of what you do, either trough software or traditionally with pen and paper. If you have nothing else, use post-it notes. Ideally, plan ahead and establish daily goals.

I find that I actually work better on Windows than on Linux, for what it's worth. On Linux I just waste time DE-hopping and installing themes, and changing my layout, whereas on Windows all I can do is change the wallpaper (unactivated) and customizing through the registry isn't intuitive so I don't really do it

I just want to stop Jow Forums addiction. That's all. I don't play games or use social media at all (twitter/fb/reddit).

I wish I could be productive. I just don't know how. Maybe it's too late for me. I'm 30 years old and haven't been doing anything since I graduated from university like 10 years ago. For 10 years I've just been sitting at home playing video games. Occasionally I'll try to fix things, but just end up spending weeks reading everything on the internet about like Getting Things Done, Bullet Journals, and so on, opening up thousands of browser tabs and just reading and reading. Eventually I try it out a bit with like Everdo, Getting Things GNOME, GNOME To Do, etc. but it doesn't really go anywhere. Just end up going back to playing games all day. I'm just not a functioning human being. What do?

Attached: 1505913782574.jpg (338x384, 109K)

>- disconnect yourself, get bored. Your brain needs to understand the difference between work and relax time in order to be efficient. If you are in work mode all the time, you are not being efficient

That's really clever. I always thought that it was something like playing a video game or tea time that helps me to focus, but it's simply stopping thinking about work/learning. I guess that's why threadmill MMOs feel like competition to productive activities.