Don't game on linux

Gaming an linux meme was a huge mistake .
Normies are now pulling everything we hate about windows to linux because of it.

Attached: g.jpg (1280x720, 587K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/69792390/#q69792390
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_Stretch_installation
youtube.com/watch?v=u9KNtnCZDMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>we

basyd

The biggest thing you have to fear is your /opt directory being filled with non-standard/non-conforming Windows ports that dump shit in your home directory as they please.

>playing games

That's what op is talking about retard!

>desktop linux
>muh secret club

This

>Normies are now pulling everything we hate about windows to linux because of it.
Good thing Linux is a kernel and GNU/Linuz is a modular operating system where the user ultimately decides what's installed on it.

(Or at least this was true before systemd)

If it brings more developers in, that's fine. As long as the good guys don't abandon it, the worst that could happen would be those smug retards saying "Wow, I can finally play games on Linux", despite being told for years they could've had much better if they stopped feeding the botnet and monopoly. But yeah, I too fear that, like other popular things, it'll be dumbed down and milked hard, then abandoned when a proprietary answer comes. But due to the nature of the OS, if a good core keeps working on it, nothing bad will happen. The large amount of distros to choose from is great; I'm sure there's gonna be some more traditional ones if huge changes start to occur, like with systemd.

Many users, attention from developers, polish one would expect, ease of use, modern subsystems that actually work together... yeah, that's horrible.

daily reminder that video games are TECHNOLOGY

>Implying OP was talking to you.

Attached: manime.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Linux is a kernel. You don't game on a kernel.

>Normies
you need to go back

retard

Samefag.

You are free to not use systemd

>Gaming an linux meme was a huge mistake .
Not as huge as picrelated

Attached: 2000px-Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg.png (2000x8794, 3.86M)

My next build I'm more open to linux (not that i wasn't before I played with it on virtualmachines/livecds and stuff and have always respected it) but I just never used it as the main. I was sticking to Windows 7 on current stuff and avoiding 10 seeing the direction it all went, and really don't want to have to go get it. I like the progress games and other software has gotten as far as support goes. I mean I can always just run a virtual machine too with 10 inside and not take too much a performance hit right?

Pulling everything people hate about Windows into Linux has pretty much nothing to do with gaming.

Attached: 1529539315878.webm (800x450, 2.73M)

In theory yes, but all distros use it and the distros that don't use it don't have means to keep proper security see archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/69792390/#q69792390

is this really too much to ask for, dell?

Attached: 1550682731296.jpg (1280x720, 563K)

>choice is a problem
found the apple marketing associate

Choice isn't bad.

I don't think gentoo has that problem

Gentoo has the problem that it takes hours for a simple system update due to being a source based distro.

Fucking kek! What is this and where do i download it?

It's a thing that billions of people do.
Billions.

Where would they put the logo?

why would you even use /opt
why would you use root for anything not your package manager

>fake accomplishments

Attached: 1507974952911.jpg (540x540, 44K)

on the back of the lid

Attached: 1563_1_0.jpg (940x540, 23K)

>That makes it right.

useless fragmentation is bad. stop lying to yourself.

But it has to be shoved in users face at all times.

That is true, however you can schedule it to update when you don't use it.

It don't, but if you will get all grouchy and mad because people do that, then you're in for a hell ride.

I want my laptop to be turned off when i don't use it.

>Normies are now pulling everything we hate about windows to linux because of it.
What, driver support?

That seems troublesome specially when I can't sleep with computer fans running.

Switch game

>useless fragmentation is bad
Why? Should everyone conform to the whims of one big company?

"Fragmentation" in terms of market share is a buzzword coined by a marketing employee at Apple. It puts a negative spin on having choices, and a positive spin on having only one or two choices from the same company. After Apple coined it, other companies started using the word in the software space as well. Worse, I have seen it uttered by technology enthusiasts.

Please stop using the word "fragmentation" in this context. It puts a positive spin on proprietary non-free technology, and creates the illusion that stealing choice and freedom from users is actually a good thing.

Well, these are the choices you have. You can also help maintain systemdickless binary distos, so that no script kiddie will compromise your OS.

Not all distro's use it. I believe SUSE does not use it. Also it is very easy to rid a system of systemd.
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_Stretch_installation

How is it called?

Valve is working on getting that malicious anti-cheat on Linux. Nobody is forcing you to play garbage games with (((DRM))), (((anti-cheat))) and other spyware bullshit.

If the air is being vented towards the screen then a bezel makes sense since the screen has a lower chance of dying due to heat, while not being easy to break if you were to just distance it from the body.

That's just silly, I mean what happens if you want to put your coffee cup near the screen without it actually touching the screen? I often do this

>Normies are now pulling everything we hate about >windows to linux because of it.
and what is it exactly games?

Botnet DRM and proprietary drivers.

The /opt directory is a general purpose directory designed for any programs, packages or data that otherwise doesn't fit into/adhere to the UNIX filesystem structure.

>proprietary drivers
install clamav and check the drivers before your screaming BOTNET!

i keep my work on my computer and my games on my ps4.

This is how it should be.

Fuck off I want Linux to attract more devs, money and users, to become more successful and hopefully more people will be interested in / care about their essential freedoms

Just run a VM and pretend to be windows
>decreased efficiency
just buy a xeon bro

...by further allowing the spread of steam DRM.

>we = op and that guy

Yeah, that is such a bullshit term in this context. Having choice is fine. While plenty of Linux distributions may be redundant, plenty of them are intended to fill a niche or special use case. More so, since they are open source and community driven, it is easier to address compatibility issues since standards and interfaces aren't dictated by a single company trying to force a walled garden on their users.

Yes you do.

I've never played anything on Linux aside from Frozen Bubble and Tux Racer

I've been using Linux for 6 years now and I still don't know what half the fucking folders in the root directory are for because no fucking program follows a proper install scheme. Yeah the FHS SAYS this folder is meant for this or that but I find my shit randomly in different fucking folders from the intended install source all the time.

I tried gaming on my linux partition and it was meh, theres still too many games it cant run.

>we = op and his multiple personalities
fixed

shut up retard

just check the ip cunt

The "Unix filesystem structure" is literally just a workaround Thompson and Ritchie used to spread the system onto more disks when they ran out of space.
Every "explaination" of the "Unix filesystem hierarchy" is nothing but an a posteriori rationalization. The role every directory supposedly has was never meant to be. It was never designed that way. It's nothing but a compromise.

>to linux
You know you can use other distros than ubuntu, right?

Let me know when any of that shit becomes mandatory.

It's not "the normies" doing that. It's the programmers themselves. We were happy with GNOME 2 and KDE 3, but the programmers wanted to make something like Windows 8 (lol) and Mac OSX, so they just started fucking with it and forced us to go along with it.

Yeah, but we'll never have a replacement for these ancient OSs (even NT is decades old) with all these bullshit limitation mitigations, so let people believe what they want.

A Frenchman agrees!

Linux is a kernel

Mate book X Pro has what you're seeking

>wuz

>gamurz

t. corelet

How would they install all the windows bloatware they make their money from?

>hands in the way of screen

>a literally free os that has around for who know how long and that hasmillions of users is part of a secret club
Are zoom-zooms this retarded?

based and redpilled.
More marketshare and interest because of vidya compatibility = more companies willing to put the effort in to support the platform

How does this make sense in this context though? apt literally does nothing different than rpm or pacman or anything else. They're just tools to install packages, remove them, update them, upgrade them, and, well, manage them. What useful "choice" is made possible by having many different standards that all do the exact same shit but require the maintenance of several different types of packages? Why are there "Debian packages" "Fedora packages" "CentOS packages" "Ubuntu packages" "OpenSUSE packages"? This does not provide any functionality of benefit to the user. It just adds more work and takes more maintenance time that could be better spent elsewhere if we had just "Linux packages"

If one particular software has fundamental issues, a bug, or security flaws you can change what you use.
Unlike proprietary where the bug affects everything ever.

Fragmentation is a meme, it's a strength to have a bug always effect a minority of users and to just allow them to walk around this kind of dysfunction.

If I didn't have the ability to say "wow fuck apt I'll use dnf now." I wouldn't use gnu/linux at all.

Oh no: Literally one gentoo user who uses bumblebee accidentally got a version of a single package that wipes /usr on a very particular date, oh the humanity!

Oh fuck: Microsoft pushes half baked updates and paves the user folders of 100's of thousands of users unintentionally because all the software is exactly the same.

Canincal will force everyone to use snapd and end all distros. In the end, to set the dominance, they'll behead Stallman and rebrand Ubuntu into Linux, the only linux distro available.

I play quake champions occasionally. Fun game. Works great on my Debian box, too. Wish it was unreal 2004 but I'll settle.

>playing anything other than armegatron when you're bored
???

Not that guy but you are posting in the technology section of a Cantonese Watercolors online board. I SERIOUSLY fucking doubt whatever you do in your spare time is less idiotic than videogames.

Same. Explanations I see typically contradict eachother e.g what /mnt is supposed to be used for.

There's also no explanation for the 7 or 8 categories every DE has for it's applications. They're always the same. It's never "all programs"

Jesus Christ....

It runs every game I play.

World of warships
World of tanks
GTA 5
League of legends
Stellaris
Heart's of iron 4
Company of heroes

Steam proton and dxvk are godsends

its a game engine for ps4 called dreams. Quite interesting to hear the talk given on how it was developed youtube.com/watch?v=u9KNtnCZDMI
Its pretty great for user generated stuff.

be honest. how much fucking around do you have to do to get them working? im thinking of making the switch and keep a windows partition just for pubg

This desu.
>Gnome 3
>systemdicks
>CoC
>Firefox degradation

Attached: 1550203843913-g.jpg (2404x1260, 831K)

pc gaming was a mistake

Even in 2000's internet still had some serious gate keeping and Jow Forums were always the retards. Now Jow Forums got overtaken by even worse retards.

We're in better places now and you normalfags are stuck with what you took away from us.

Unlike Windows where that shit is default, you need to opt in for that shit.
Except systemd. Fuck systemd

Use bsd

>are the crystal gems

Attached: 0O7X6DG.gif (432x452, 483K)