/retro/ thread

post cool old tech

Attached: IMG_9406x.jpg (2048x1536, 631K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FiTQPbbipKs
youtube.com/watch?v=YZsiR45tKKw
youtube.com/watch?v=kK0M74E8PS4&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=653RsTXgZgY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Us boomers, right? XDD us boomers
*sips* ahh.. those were the days

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Attached: jupiter-ace-pcb.jpg (555x341, 59K)

Attached: image0.jpg (3024x4032, 1.95M)

Attached: yes.gif (300x225, 991K)

Attached: IMG_8232x.jpg (2048x1536, 573K)

Attached: IMG_8236x.jpg (2048x1536, 689K)

Attached: scc1.jpg (2048x1536, 1.13M)

Attached: tektronix4012.webm (640x360, 2.88M)

Attached: TrrJ72U[1].jpg (1200x960, 257K)

Attached: qV2UinVhSchxgPGo.large.jpg (800x600, 43K)

youtube.com/watch?v=FiTQPbbipKs

This version of Smalltalk for the Alto was released on 76, and could re-compile OS code on the fly and automatically run the modified code without rebooting.
43 years later and we still can't easily do that with our modern computers.

> Pentium III on an IBM 5150
KYS OPfag

Those 486-era ZDS machines were absolutely beautiful.

oh god now the boomer thing is becoming ironic

>GREEN AGP/PCI/ISA SYSTEM
idk it seems fitting

>not driving god’s chosen TTL monochrome display with god’s chosen microprocessor

The IBM PC truly wast the greatest computer of the early 80's

Attached: file.png (1024x951, 982K)

Attached: Chernobyl 2.webm (640x360, 2.12M)

Attached: 1549737680182.jpg (2800x2143, 492K)

>evolution

Attached: john_Carmack_working.jpg (468x332, 108K)

>of big monitors

Attached: main-qimg-941c7c.jpg (485x324, 145K)

How have you connected a Pentium 3 to a MDA monitor?

Pop in a ISA display/graphics card that supports MDA monitors? Don't see the problem.

I guess an early P3 board then. All the ones I have are later ones that don't have any ISA slots. I'm using a 450 MHz P2 for my retro PC because I want a Sound Blaster 16 and only have it in ISA. And even that board, a Dell Dimension XPS R450 one, only shows options for AGP and PCI for graphics card. Dunno if it would boot on an ISA card if I had one.

Most Slot 1 and Socket 370 boards had ISA, some P4 and even some Core motherboards did, the slots weren't as compatible.
You don't need an option for ISA graphics in the BIOS for it to work, I've tested it myself.

>when the memory used in your framebuffer is worth more than your domestic car
Oh IBM you so crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=YZsiR45tKKw

Attached: theepot4014.jpg (650x439, 72K)

I see. My P3s are generic office machines, an IBM NetVista and a Dell Optiplex, both too new and/or not enthusiast oriented enough to have ISA. Both Tualatin I think.

Now I'm wondering if I pulled the 8-bit ISA MDA card from my 5150 if it would work in the XPS R450.

>Now I'm wondering if I pulled the 8-bit ISA MDA card from my 5150 if it would work in the XPS R450.
Most likely. Give it a try.

From the thumb I thought this was a shoe.

Attached: opzHFmn[1].jpg (1200x960, 148K)

>want to build a sleeper in a 5150
>can't find any that are broken/for parts
>don't want to destroy a working model

I fucking live down the road from an IBM facility and they don't even have spare old stock

cool microwave

lmao who cares it's old shit just wreck it

Eh. I have my doubts. The BIOS shows a graphical logo at boot. What I have is a true MDA card and not Hercules or whatever, so it can't do this.

those things make dos games sound like magic, i remember my buddys dad had a roland sc-55 sound canvas in his 486 dx2 50mhz, we sat all day playing simon the sorcerer and monkey island in awe at the music

The only sleeper you should put in a 5100 is a time machine, John.

Some programs (debuggers mostly) support dual-screen if you have both a VGA and MDA installed.

BASIC ENGINE ESP32

Would be cool to try though, maybe the BIOS has a text mode version too that it will display by default then.
DOS (even Windows up to 3.0) should still work though if you make it auto boot into it, might have to remove the EGA driver from Config.sys and you might have to remove the VGA card so it won't default to it.

I think some CAD applications too.

pic related: 16-color CGA emulation on a 2-bit TTL screen.

Attached: IMG_9410x.jpg (1024x768, 210K)

What... How would Windows on MDA even work? The closest you can get to graphics is ASCII art stuff. It only does 80x25 text mode.

isn't it using the intensity pin? that's actually capable of analog input, i.e. varying degrees of shades

Scratch that, somehow I forgot halfway through writing that post that you weren't using Hercules. Sorry.

That's a hardware based solution, right? Like a CGA or EGA card with MDA monitor support?
What card? Looks neat.

I actually didn't know the intensity pin was analog. This particular card uses a pwm signal, so it would work with pure TTL too.
One of the first ATI Wonder cards, I forget what model exactly.

Probably the wrong thread for this but does anyone know where I can find some decently priced replacement EPROM's for my Commodore 64? Took it out of storage recently and the PPU took a shit in the time it waited to be used, and I'm honestly considering just getting an EPROM writer and seeing if I can just make my own...

Attached: commodore64setup.jpg (1040x1024, 81K)

>One of the first ATI Wonder cards, I forget what model exactly.
I guessed so, one of those cards should be the holy grail for MDA monitors, capable of displaying 16 colour EGA and VGA on a MDA monitor.

>I actually didn't know the intensity pin was analog. This particular card uses a pwm signal, so it would work with pure TTL too.
I'm just guessing, it would make the most sense, the intensity pin might directly control the intensity of the bean even if it wasn't designed to use a analog signal, those shades don't look dithered and that's all I can think of why

I ran a VIP in my XT for a while until I went back to MDA in it, I think that one was capable of driving a TTL display at VGA grayscale depths.

This is the right thread, alright.
One option would be to write your own I guess like you already thought about.
It has 3 ROM chips, do you know which one or if all are bust? I'm kind of lost though, what do you mean under PPU? Do you mean the VIC? If you know that it's at fault, why do you need new ROMs?

PPU is what I was taught to call it; the Picture Processing Unit, It's a MOS product 6569 I believe (?)
I haven't actually used the thing in about 8 years and can't claim to rightfully recall, but I turned it on and got a blank screen, so I powered it off, unplugged it, waited, powered it back up and the screen gave me the standard blue square but every single space was filled with 1's and 0's, sometimes over the top of each other.

Just checked, the intensity/video signals run through a 7406 inverter, so both are digital inputs.

Attached: file.png (659x292, 71K)

>Took it out of storage recently
First things first, bin the old PSU and get a new one.

Some TTL monitors fed the signal straight to the gun amplifier and some used a proper comparator. This also happened with the RGB pins in some "TTL" monitors.
Not sure if the IBMs had this "capability" or not, though. I have an XT with a 5153, so I guess I could try.
Welp, there's my answer.

so the question is... how do they do it?

PWM signal and phosphor persistence would be my guess. 5151s have crazy long persistence.

if the PWM frequency is high enough, the beam "flickers" fast enough that you don't see any dithering. the phosphors basically act as a low-pass filter.

that makes sense, thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=kK0M74E8PS4&feature=youtu.be

monkey island doesn't support the SC directly, so you always heard it "wrong" :) however I don't think MI uses any custom instruments, and the SC emulates the default MT-32 patch set reasonably well.
quite recently someone hacked together a talkie version of the original MI, which does support general midi now.

You gotta be shitting me, I just opened youtube BEFORE you posted that and it was also under my "Recommended" list. Are you by any chance a Google bot?

Someone posted this on /vr/ a few days ago and just minutes later it popped up on my youtube feed.

youtube.com/watch?v=653RsTXgZgY

Attached: 1040ste.jpg (4000x6000, 2.53M)

absolute unit

?

Attached: 1469497730118.jpg (1000x780, 593K)

I'm not but I do have a VGA Wonder in my AT.

Attached: lain.jpg (6000x4000, 1.93M)

Dang it, so close

Yeah, but look how well we can stream HD video of other people playing video games.

Chubby AiOs.

Fuck.

Attached: WRJcJj7.jpg (800x450, 94K)

worksafe board....

Nah, I'm not that guy. One day I will suck some dick for an AT/370 though.

Attached: 5160+5161.jpg (838x1280, 90K)

hi Jow Forums IBMbro here again
ama

very nice user it makes me happy that people still like this stuff

Attached: 20190220_211124.jpg (4032x1960, 1.69M)

Think everyone in this thread would like this. It's called telehack, it sort of emulates basic command line functionality, BBS systems, hosts, etc. You can crack passwords to get into new hosts, FTP useful items to and from them, and there's even a relay chat function with people on it sometimes. Pic related is first time i got root on a host, would recommend for just screwing around, can even be accessed with a telnet command lole

Attached: Ididit.png (1439x769, 49K)

Out of the loop. guessing you worked at IBM back during the development of PS/2?

What's going on there?

That's nice. You posted at a very dead time though.
What said.

ps/2 was tits. thanks for the good memories.
I used it when I got out of high school for a year. Been on linux since 1998.
t. cpu design at intel since pentium4

>guessing you worked at IBM back during the development of PS/2
yup
>ps/2 was tits. thanks for the good memories.
no problem

Gorgeous

>Pentium 4
I don't mean any disrespect, but can you give any insight into what the fuck they were thinking?

not him, there really wasn't anything wrong with the ideas behind the Pentium 4 in the context of the time they originated from, don't think anyone really foresaw clocks hitting the wall like they did so early on and if that wasn't the case concentrating on insanely high clocks at the cost of clock-for-clock efficiency is a completely legitimate way of designing a processor as long as you can still get the same amount of work done as the more "efficient" designs in the end, it doesn't feel very different to me from a lot of RISC designs like early MIPS and Alpha that clocked insanely high for their time but did a lot less work in a cycle owing to their simplicity.

They didn't realize that more transistors packed closer together has diminishing returns. Then came true parallel processing.

Way too old of a monitor for a Pentium 3

agree with this too

Attached: 09F7204E-C46D-4AB2-956D-4A5C34C30509.png (1920x1080, 960K)

Attached: DSCN5945.jpg (772x480, 100K)

Attached: IMG_20180918_184341.jpg (3264x2448, 1.95M)

Very nice.
Where's the matching SPARC machine?

Sadly not here.

Werks with qemu.

A SAI2 I haven't booted for a while.

Attached: IMG_20181204_155656.jpg (2448x3264, 2.81M)

Neat board

>I haven't booted for a while.
It would be hard to do without a PSU

Is that guy in the back taking a pizza order?

Attached: baker.jpg (1300x1034, 200K)

A-user, I...

True. Got a 650 sitting in the cupboard, just need to rewire a couple of molexes.

Attached: IMG_20181221_130414.jpg (2448x3264, 2.43M)