Are gaming laptops any good or just a meme?

Are gaming laptops any good or just a meme?
I see them around more often nowadays, I thought cooling was already a big issue for these, now they make them with 1080gtx.

If the gpu or any other integrated deviced broke, how would you replace it? since these models have no spare parts and aren't modular.

Attached: rogfullbleed3.jpg (960x640, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/
youtube.com/watch?v=akpsn8WuY38
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Are gaming ______ any good
no
kys

>overpriced
>can't upgrade cpu/gpu
>performance drops 90% when on battery
>only lasts 30 minutes on battery
>constant thermal throttling even with airpad
>the only good ones cost $2,000+ and become obsolete in 2 years

>GAYming

Attached: 1465402320579.png (709x636, 167K)

this pretty much covers it. you should always have a desktop as your primary unless you move constantly for work etc. also
>playing anything on a 15" screen

meme

Actually I move a lot and battery life isn't a problem for me because I'm not autistic enough to use my gaming rig in places other than my own so I'll always have it plugged.
I can spend $2000+ on them.

I thought of getting an asus ROG.

well, if youre a person out of the house and uses a laptop much more than a desktop and you game, then yes its good for you.

give reasons why you think its better than just having an mitx/atx build that you can easily move and will have far better performance, noise, image and workspace. I've had one in the past and despite constantly moving place and country I still regret it

Also, my worries aren't that I can't upgrade them I know what I get can't be changed.
But what worries me are repairs, it needed to replace a part are all parts integrated to the mobo or is the gpu for instance made specifically for this model and cannot be bought as spare?

Not him but what about a gaymen nuc? Those desktop computers are the size of a fucking book but have the same performance as a $2,000 gaymen laptop.

simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

If you can afford buying a brand new gayming laptop every 2~3 years then there isn't much of an issue to be concerned with.
I have a gayming PC and a gayming laptop for when I travel. Whenever I have to replace my laptop (which is like a 2 year timeframe) I'd just sell the old laptop, for cheap, to family relatives. When I upgrade to a new laptop I usually buy the latest and greatest which might cost like $2200
I'm a richfag with my own house and two cars fully paid off. I'm pointing this out specifically because most people cant afford to upgrade their gayming laptops, so unless you're making lots of money I'd suggest sticking with gayming PCs

No reasons, I'm looking to know the pros and cons.
If you say you regret it then I'd rather not buy one.

>ATI raedon

No thanks pajeet.

It's not radeon though, it's vega and outperforms a gtx 1060 which is found in $2,000+ gaymen laptops.

>laptop hardware weaker than pc = meme
If you are that kind of fag who want to show off your machine your just wasting money..
if you want to play in LAN parties at your gay friend house go for it.. but still your wasting your fucking money..
if you dont care and you have alot of money to spend on crap you dont need to have a Jow Forums permission for that

>ATI

No thanks I said Lakshit

I'm looking for simplicity and ease of transport.
Unless its not worth sacrifying a standard ATX rig over it.

Nowhere in the fucking specs does it say ATI you massive mong. It has vega plastered on the specs. What are you, blind?

Then see That's a pretty good middle ground desu.

This, so much
I've used "desktop replacement gaming laptops" for 9 fucking years because I needed the mobility, and they served me quite well. Now that I can have a desktop again I built one and holy shit, what a difference.
If you need the mobility go for it, otherwise don't even think about touching one

he's a flaming homosexual

I spent $1000 on a laptop for work with a 1060(non max-q) and it's fuckin' rad. No performance issues and non-gaming battery life is pretty good. Never buy a gaming laptop as a primary machine though, you can do a lot better.

Tbh I'd rather not buy anything thats not Nvidia.

Even though it curb stomps a gtx 1060?

please just install gentoo as your host os
your life will change instantly

Yes, because I can just get 1070 or 1080, hell, why not get a 2060 instead?

>any good
I had that specific model. Before I got another gaming laptop.

Their biggest drawbacks tend to be battery life. That model had just above 2 hours of battery life when I got it. My situation makes them make more sense but in general I would say they're a bad idea. Their looks tend to be awful. The keyboards tend to be ok given the limitations of the platform. Big screens are nice. 17.3" on the G75VW was fine.

I think if I were to bother with another computer soon I'd probably buy a relatively cheap desktop and a laptop with a good keyboard. If such a thing exists. I should probably have done that before buying what I have now but it wasn't obvious at the time.

Things to note:
-no upgrades, ever. It doesn't matter if you stick another stick of ram in. There's some laptops that do have swappable GPUs but they're just not worth the price.
-they're heavy. It seems irrelevant at first but it's not something you'll feel passively. You're discouraged from carrying it around the house because it's heavy enough that you fear breaking it if you were to have to catch it when you fumble it
-nothing below 17" screen is worth it. It absolutely kills you to have to deal with a small screen for the prolonged time. It doesn't seem too bad at first but that changes.
>performance drops on battery
Didn't happen to me. I haven't heard of a computer that limits its power draw due to battery. There's OS settings for this though.

(Not that user)
Laptop resolutions are capped at 1080p
Because of this, you dont necessarily need a GPU that is stronger than the 1060. What this means is that getting a 1070/1080/2060 is just wasting more money.
Vega outperforms 1060 and is cheaper, and it's a better option.

If we were arguing for which GPU is the best choice for desktops, (whose resolution could go 4k+ and beyond), then that would be the GTX 1080.

Now I'm not trying to say you cant use a GTX 1080 on a laptop (you'd probably argue futureproof components) but I'm just saying that the Vega is objectively better than the 1060 as said by that other user. There's nothing wrong with getting the GTX 1080 if you can afford it/want futureproof.

>Laptop resolutions are capped at 1080p
>cause of this, you dont necessarily need a GPU that is stronger than the 1060

Explain please.
Are 1080 only worth if you are planning on maxing your setting at 4K and nothing else?

Vidya is the most common form of entertainment in the world, get used to it

>can't upgrade cpu/gpu
Some you can, some you can't. Do some research
>performance drops 90% when on battery
This will always be the case unfortunately
>only lasts 30 minutes on battery
Mine actually lasts 3 hours
>constant thermal throttling even with airpad
Never had that problem even with both CPU and GPU under full load
>the only good ones cost $2,000+ and become obsolete in 2 years
This was true a few years ago, not as much now

>69885492
>>Are 1080 only worth if you are planning on maxing your setting at 4K and nothing else?
Yea. You'll get much more frames per second at 1080p res though (higher than the 60fps offered from the GTX 1060). Personally, higher resolution and better frame rates ultimately matter in PC gayming rather than laptop gayming. 1080p @ 60fps is good enough for laptops imo, I'd go for 1440p @ 120(+)fps for PCs though.

4k gaming is overrated, it's great for huge screen movie TVs but for gaming monitors it'll sacrifice lots of frames per second. So I'd rather stick with 2k resolution until we get better technology.

So many newfags

Great, because I really don't give af about 4k and maxing out every game, I'm really casual about it, just want to play on PC.

So I'll be getting a laptop after all, because I've had many anons tell me that is full of shit.

OP here,

Please guys, if the only drawback is the batter life then theres really nothing.
I already said I'm not autistic enough to use these devices without pluging them first, I'm not playing video games at starbucks or taking it to vacations with me.
Mainly when I need to pass time while traveling for work or at friends.

And I'm really casual about it as I said, I just enjoy playing on PC.
I don't really pay much attention to 4K or maxing out the latest game, and futureproof(biggest meme around, people thinking they can be set for years ahead or that some rigs are obsolete after only 2 years...).

My question is simple: Are gaming laptops prompt to fail more often than desktops? Because I know that if I need repairs I'd have to buy a whole new rig.

>are gaming laptops prompt to fail more often than desktops
Nope. Not in my experience at least. Just make sure you do some research on laptop brands and warranty if you're that worried. Just buy the gayming laptop bro

without gaming monitors, you wouldn't have high refresh rate screens

without gaming mouse, you wouldn't have mice with low lag and laggy wireless mouse

without gaming keyboard, mechanical switches wouldn't be affordable and popular

without gaming chairs, you can't do this

Warranty doesn't mean shit in the country I live in.

i have a desktop pc i built myself and an alienware laptop.

the alienware laptop costs a fortune, and it only throttles a bit during PUBG, easy to open up and clean out dust. id buy it again

HD Graphics 630 is UNIRONICALLY good enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=akpsn8WuY38

I've known many people who've bought gaming laptops.
I've yet to know anyone who has purchased a second.
It becomes immediately obvious upon owning one how actually useless it is compared to having two separate machines.

without reddit, you wouldnt be able to space like that

they are good if you're semi nomadic, like a college kid or a sailor or traveling salesman or something

if not then get a desktop

No.
Buy yourself the following:
A gaming desktop, a thin and light cheap laptop, and a Nintendo Switch. You can probably obtain all three for cheaper than the full fledged gtx 1080 laptop, and it will be objectively better at every use case.

I'd like to embrace the external gpu meme one day. Building a setup where a single thunderbolt connection creates a full desktop environment.

>without gaming chairs, you can't do this
This saved your otherwise terrible post Felix.

No. Get a desktop for intensive games. Get a cheap laptop with a budget gpu and just learn to play less demanding games on it. Like I usually play Crusader Kings at lunch.

honestly I wish they made AIB with this vega. it's so good when it's scaled down and not pushed to its voltage limits.
there's a 65w box and a 100w box iirc, i'd go for the i7-8809g if you can, that has the one that beats 1060, but there's the one that's more like rx570 area (demolishes 1050ti but is like 10-15% weaker than 1060 6gb) and i think that's the 65w one.

either way both are quite good and quite cheap considering everything but remember you will need mouse/keyboard/monitor for this shit, laptop has that "integrated" for lack of a better term. makes it less portable but still easy for LANs or if you move around a lot or have to take it between work and home.

Also obviously you can turn off the stupid skull LEDs.
Based AMD Radeon Vega M GL

e-GPU is mostly pointless and scales badly.
that said i'm biased because all the games I play run fine on a core2duo 1.30 ghz from 2009 (yes it still plays 2018 strategy game of the year Into The Breach :^^^) )

If you get clevo one and live in northern hemisphere they are good

Otherwise they terrible