/dawg/ - DAW General

DAW thread
What's the best DAW?

Attached: Fruity Loops.png (1024x1024, 374K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-dRTLqabGmo
image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/il_remote.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pro tools not the nigger shit in the op

fl studio is amazing. been using it since 98.
purchase once and you get free upgrades for life with whatever bundle you purchased.

for a traditional daw i like samplitude.

the daw only matters in functionality. sound quality is dependent on hardware.
anyone who tells you that this or that daw sounds better doesn't know what they're talking about. they all take in the raw data from your soundcard. They don't tweak the sound in any way.

You do realize that FL Studio is the industry standard DAW, right?

Attached: reiserfs.png (900x600, 1.02M)

Pro tools is literally garbage

ableton is best
its stock plugins just work(tm)

yea i been using ableton. pro tools and logic are both great daws. anybody use a linux daw?

Reaper.

Ive used ableton, pt, logic and memeloops. The simplicity and workflow of Reaper shits on all of them, for about one tenth the price (if you choose to donate).

Never used it, but I heard good things about Ardour.

reaper is garbage. its midi editor is unusable.

It really depends on your OS and what you are doing. Every DAW can get the job done if you are not a brainlet.
DAWs on Linux are a bit fucky.

real men use fasttracker 2 like it's 1995

What's the best free DAW

Honestly, there is no really usable one. FL is awesome and cheap, Cubase offers great flexibility and is also priced well. Stay away from ProTools, it is shit and overpriced, also horrible for Midi. If you use Mac, look into Logic

>(((Steinberg)))
>doesn't let you demo their stuff without (((iLok)))

The Jews know how producing media works, don't (((they)))? ;)

SunVox
youtube.com/watch?v=-dRTLqabGmo

where the pimp vsts at

I love Ableton and Logic, FL is great but sucks shit with its retarded pattern workflow.

And I'm not missing plugins I used to use with FL once I started using Logic and Live. Does Pro Tools also have a "good enough" factory library? The pianos do suck on both Logic and Live, but I'm kinda used to Production Grand so yeah

lol

I use Radium, which half tracker half DAW, on Linux. It is multiplatform but is reliant on Jack and Linux seems to be lead platform. Pretty great especially as its an ongoing development, will be fantastic in a year or so

>purchase once and you get free upgrades for life with whatever bundle you purchased
If only Adobe worked this way.

Buying ableton the next day

the best daw is whatever one you spent time learning, there is never a good reason to switch to another

reaper is essentially free, just you need to wait 5 seconds on startup after the evaluation is over

it does not? why do peoppe BUY their products and how much does it cost?

Mixcraft Pro 8, super underrated

I hear it's pretty shit now.
I haven't opened it since they added the hunger mechanic and ruined all the fun.
Before you could just do your thing all day and as long as you were careful you didn't have to worry about anything, but now you have the constant stress of having to keep that bar full, and some times it's just not practical.

I used to use Cubase for years but, after switching to a Mac, I picked up Logic. Steinberg took far too long to add support for higher resolution displays, whilst logic had it covered yonks ago.

Plus, the sheer amount of legitimately decent plugins you get at one single point of entry. Cubase has like 3 different fucking versions

Anyone here use Ableton Live in Wine? Gonna try get it working soon. Hoping I can get a pirated version to work... With pirated VSTs... And ASIO...

>Linux
>Productivity

Choose one

I’m used to Reason so it’s the best one for me. It does have a lot of retarded quirks though. I agree with the user who said the best one is the one you actually learn to use

DAWs is bloat. Just play instruments or listen to nature.

I did but latency for recording in was unusable and I could never get it fixed. If you're on Linux Bitwig is the better choice and is, in many ways, superior to Ableton.

The best DAW is the one that suits you, your workflow and the music you want to create the best. For example, I started out making shitty beats with Ableton, but after some years I found myself doing more non-electronic music, recording with my own mics and such. I tried Reaper out and been using it happily ever since. 900 hours in one and a half year and still on the expired trial baby!

That being said though, Pro Tools is absolute fucking garbage and the only reason it's still being used is because old studio grandpas are to stubborn and lazy to try out anything else.

Attached: 1528990794043.jpg (552x564, 46K)

LMMS

Just use a pirated FL on android.

Been using fl studio for like 6 or 7 years and I'm absolutely comfortable with it and don't plan to change it anytime soon. It works great on Wine but I don't think I can make my midi controller work properly on linux.

Redpill me on Toontrack please

Post that track nigga

I guess I probably should try it out but I've been using Ableton for about 6 years and have gotten really used to it.
Did VSTs work for you? Recording latency shouldn't be an issue for me because I can monitor and record through my audio interface.

I'm looking for an interface
>only need one line input
>has midi in
>outputs don't matter, only really need phones
>bus powered
>is cheap
And I mean cheap. Think Behringer quality. I won't be doing anything remotely serious with this thing.
The cheapest I can find that ticks all the boxes is the Behringer U-Phoria but I'm more than willing to sacrifice i/o for price. I only need to get guitar/midi in and my phones out.
Is there anything cheaper I might have missed?

I got u, dog

Attached: tapehead.jpg (410x133, 46K)

Kek.

Just letting you guys know that we have an autism-friendly music production general on /mu/
Feel free to visit at any time.

Attached: 1550768075811.jpg (402x322, 16K)

Does anybody have a steinberg crack? Last time I checked a group named H2O had the dongle emulated.

search "steinberg" on audioz.download
That's all we have afaik.
Pic related is the seame search on Audionews.

Attached: Audionews org.png (1260x2138, 209K)

R
E
N
O
I
S
E

Ableton is for posers who want to use the same software as their fav artist. Its UI is designed for live editing, not for creating a mixed track.

>t. has never used Ableton.

its called Ableton LIVE for a reason, it does the same shit as every other DAW but the first thing you see is a sequence panel instead of a track editor.

It's called Live because it started as a live show software, but evolved way past that over the years.
If you don't like the session view you can ignore it and compose everything in the arrangement view without ever even seeing the session view (just pull the mixer all the way to the top and it will just become the mixer window).
People use it to throw ideas around and other things, but it's not the only way to use Ableton.
If you like the normal workflow you can have that just as easily.
In fact, you can't really make a song with the session view.
You actually have to use the Arrangement view to, well, arrange the song.

If seeing the SV on startup bothers you so much you can set it to open on the AV if you want lmao.

Attached: arrangement vs session.jpg (1280x720, 189K)

Ableton Live 10.1 is probably the best one yet. Still some features are missing for more recording oriented producers, however for EDM it's pretty much the best. I've used proficiently FL Studio, but it has a DPC problem that completely ruins it for my usage, whereas Live doesn't have the same issue. Also Live is pretty good for mixing too, not only for live performances. There is a reason why it's basically the standard. Maybe Logic is good too, but I've never tried it because I don't have a Mac nor I plan to buy one.

>I've used proficiently FL Studio, but it has a DPC problem that completely ruins it for my usage
Please elaborate.
I've been considering switching from Live to FL for the same reason, since Ableton some times meses up the timing of some plugins and automations (very often when it comes to M4L devices), and I thought the latest FL Studio versions didn't have these problems.

they rent them these days.
monthly or yearly fee.

>What's the best DAW?
not fruityloops studio, that's for fucking sure.
>fl studio is amazing. been using it since 98.
to proclaim out loud in public place that you use fruity loops, and for 20 years.. takes balls. still incredibly embarrassing, but i admire your bravery and how you are showing us how much of a lame and talentless fucking cuck you are

I sidechain using Volumeshaper/Shaperbox, through midi signal to trigger the sidechain. For some reason, in FL 20.1 (and before) midi signal (and also automation) are not properly delay compensated. However, if you use a compressor to sidechain, delay compensation works because the audio going through the compressor to trigger it get compensated, so triggering audio and sidechained audio get synchronized eliminating the delay. Also, sidechaining through volume automation has the same PDC problems as MIDI signal. Basically, only mixer tracks are compensated, which doesn't make sense.

>You do realize that FL Studio is the industry standard DAW, right?
top kek. it's still (unsurprisingly) pro-tools, reaper and reason.
>reaper is garbage
>has the best midi support after reaper
>unusable
stick to using fruityloops or albeton, software for complete talentless fucking lamers that can't write music or understand how to use a real DAW.

Ah, didn't know that, thanks.

> switching from live to fl
it's like down grading from windows 10 to windows 3.11

You can try for yourself, just download the trial and see if for your use cases you have problems or not

their anti theft is just a reg file.
you can still use the free/trial version to output wav files but you can't save a project.

side note: fl studio is written in delphi

Was testing out FL studio.
There's some sweeping white noise that comes in at random intervals and i can't pinpoint the source of it.
Is this some anti-pirate thing they programmed into the DAW?

That's Sylenth1 or some other VST doing that

ardour is probably good enough for most

Well, "switching" was probably the wrong word, as I would've still used Live for things that don't have this problem.
I'd have used both.

I will, thanks.

can you use a phone or smart pad for live production in ableton?

image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/il_remote.htm

It does come up only when i use a 3rd party vst, but the sound itself comes from the mater channel.
Any idea why it's doing that and how to get rid of it?

Yep, pro tools, *sip* now that's a real program. Stop playing around with them bleeps and bloops, that's not real music.

Attached: sip.png (380x349, 70K)

BUY THE PROGRAM YOU CHEAP CUNT IT'S $60.

>the best daw is whatever one you spent time learning, there is never a good reason to switch to another
based, fuckin nerds obsessing over stupid shit just use what you find you're the most productive with it's not a dick measuring contest (also people who judge any daw by their default plugins and samples are fuckin rarted) if you're an actual decent producer you can make something good with any daw, and workflow is purely subjective

Wrong. It is tied between Ableton and Pro Tools.

I use Reaper and Ardour.

Ardour isn't that bad once you tweak a bunch of stuff.

Have you tried Bitwig on Linux?

I have the license. Reaper is quite good once you have a workflow.

Ardour as in freedom

What does Ardour do better than Reaper?

It's free as in freedom

I make my own DSP with MaxForLive and have it perfectly integrated in the DAW, to the point where my M4L patches can be controlled by Ableton and can control any of Ableton's parameters, MIDI messages, and audio signals in any way you can imagine.
Can you do that elsewhere?

I just hope you know that majority of software torrents have imbedded monero miners and DDos zombie warez.

Ardour isn't that bad but I'm glad I bought reaper.

>I just hope you know that majority of software torrents that an imbecil like me finds on public trackers have imbedded monero miners and DDos zombie warez
Sorry, Autocorrect deleted a piece of my post.

I've really, really wanted to get into working with DAW software, but I haven't found alot of beginner information on software. I'm leaning towards FL studio, since it's an industry standard, but it's expensive with the tiers and I don't know what version to purchase.

If anyone knows of better/cheaper/free software please let me know.

Senpai... trust me.

Just buy the license. Otherwise use free software.

Attached: 1549990693743.jpg (419x233, 22K)

Do you happen to be an audio software developer?

>"industry standard"
>yfw it is the SoundCloud standard
Use Ableton. It can do everything FL can do with a simpler layout and no mess core tools.

Mainly a freelance software developer. I submitted a few patches for PulseAudio back in the day.

The shear amount of malware in torrent software is staggering. The worst ones are stealth dormant and once active it copies itself into parts of your computer that can survive a OS wipe. Most videogame torrents have tuned cryptominers.

I got to the point where I just use steam for any games I want and free software for everything else other then the one off program I bought a license to.

If you have personal files or use the browser on the same pc you use ripped software on just pray you don't have a remote administration tool.

Attached: 1550003827720.gif (468x236, 758K)

>industry standard
The industry you must be talking about seems to be Bandcamp and Soundcloud

If you want a cheap but useful DAW use Reaper. It only cost $60 bucks.

you living in the early 2000s?

I understand what you're saying, but these releases are typically made by trusted teams (like R2R or VR, or in the past Air, Assign, etc) which are under the eyes of the entire community.
As soon as they get caught pulling this kind of bullshit their reputation is gone and everyone stops downloading from them (happened a few times with smaller new teams).
If there's a virus in the torrent it's added by a middleman (usually the guy who publishes the torrent), which is why if you only use public trackers and untrustworthy uploaders, you're right. Getting malware is inevitable this way.
But if you use a trusted community likie AudioZ (which has the most autistic userbase and forum I've ever seen) or Audionews (a private tracker with an equally autistic userbase) and stick to the trusted teams, you're pretty much never going to get malware (since the trusted uploaders get the releases directly from the groups, if they're not affiliated to them themselves).

Sure, there's still a risk, and buying everything lets you avoid it altogether, but considering how much software I can use for free, I'd have to spend an enormous amount of money that I don't even have, so maybe if I was rich I'd buy everything, but since I'm not I think this (IMO small) risk of catching malware is an acceptable price for being able to use the best tools available for free.

best post. What are the odds anyone in this thread has made anything worth a damn?

Trackers > DAWs

But I do play instruments user which is why I want to learn about DAW

>What are the odds anyone in this thread has made anything worth a damn?
>What is psychological projection

Attached: e54506ed86d275e0f3e27fd696f31bd7.jpg (770x565, 125K)

idk but it doesn't really affect me so i dunno, as long as you find something that works for you and i find something that works for me it's all good, just get enjoyment out of making music

I agree but saying that choice of DAW doesn't matter implies that you only do things that are doable in all DAWs and don't do anything that's exclusive to one in particular.
Most DAWs have exclusive features that you can't have elsewhere, and if your work relies on them, then that one will be the best for what you do.
If the whole genre and type of music relies on those features, then that DAW will be objectively better.
Also, some DAWs have issues (like PDC, as it's been discussed above, or missing features) which might be dealbreakers for some people, and some have things that can subjectively be considered bad or worse.
So it's not pointless to discuss software, with differences this significant.

I don't think that "find something sufficiently good and get on with your life" is a valid mindset to have, considering all the time we spend on it. It's much more than a simple tool, and if you're passionate about music making, you'll also be passionate about the different ways to do it.
I can't imagine someone who's passionate about music production and doesn't care about what he uses to actually produce.
You never hear a guitarist say "who cares about guitars, just find one that works for you and enjoy playing" because of course they're also passionate about the guitars themselves.
The same goes for other instrumentalists and practitioners of other hobbies/activities too.
Racers don't just care about racing but also about cars.
Filmmakers don't just care about cinematography and storytelling but also care about cameras (and all the other tools they use).

I don't get why you (and inevitably one guy every thread) want to recommend stopping these discussions.
It's not like they cost us anything or they hurt us.
If we're having them it's because we want to, whether they're pointless or not, so why not?
Why tell us to go enjoy music instead?
I don't understand.
It just seems like you're trying to be the wise centrist that's above the discussion, for no reason.

i didn't say it doesn't matter, it was just ribbing at the people who go like "hurr stupid logicfag use ableton instead" or some shit who don't realize that it's about finding something that works for you, not "this thing works for me therefore it works for everybody". nowhere in my post did i say it didn't matter. buuut

>I don't think that "find something sufficiently good and get on with your life" is a valid mindset to have
it's a perfectly valid mindset, it might not be a good mindset but surely you get the idea. it's fine to explore other daws but don't be one of those people who constantly goes "mannn this isn't quite right maybe i'd be doing better if i used [x] instead", and people do this all the time even outside of daws
>You never hear a guitarist say "who cares about guitars, just find one that works for you and enjoy playing" because of course they're also passionate about the guitars themselves.
i've seen quite a few guitarists who say this actually, myself included. not everybody likes collecting, some of us are fine with just sticking to one thing and pushing it to its limits and finding new ways to experiment with it. of course collecting a bunch of guitars and whatnot isn't bad but either way the point stands. all i'm saying is that the people throwing around stuff like "yuhhh bruhhh stop using [x] and use [y] instead because i said so" have the wrong idea. my mindset is that if somebody is starting out they should just pick something random and take that daw (or instrument, car, camera, whatever) and push it to its limits until there's an actual reason to use something else. but since i (and many others) haven't reached certain limits with the tools we use there's not much of a reason to upgrade and that's why i get kinda irked at the daw elitists

>I don't get why you (and inevitably one guy every thread) want to recommend stopping these discussions.
i don't, my post was just a jab at the people who get really deep into the things that make one daw objectively better than another and i'm not saying that's a bad thing but what i wanted to get across is that the more elitist types going "lol stop using [x] use [y] instead" need to realize some people don't really care about those differences, or at the very least they should explain why [y] is better
>It just seems like you're trying to be the wise centrist that's above the discussion, for no reason.
yeah i can see why don't get me wrong i know what you mean, my reply didn't clarify enough. i don't really care what people use and it's fine to discuss daws but the people who wanna go out of their way to say [x] is better than [y] because of some tiny obscure differences that might not even apply to whoever is using [x], those guys are annoying

What's the best HTML5 DAW that's not Audiotool or Soundtrap?

Nice