Best/favorite language for game dev? On a side note, have you guys heard of Jonathan Blow’s language JAI...

Best/favorite language for game dev? On a side note, have you guys heard of Jonathan Blow’s language JAI, a prospective replacement for C++, and if so, what do you think of it?

Attached: 6814E0F5-A577-4EA1-BFAF-7AFA356F3B28.jpg (1024x640, 65K)

bump

Jai looks like the same mess of syntax that C++ is and with no major new features or improvements over it I don't see a reason to use it, if it ever comes out

C++ continues to be the industry standard, it's certainly flawed but if you're wanting to work in the industry or something learn it. JAI is very interesting

This man made 2 games, and they are both in my top10 favorite ever list.
A truly based man.
And he self-funded the witness. He didnt get scared of using the millions he made with braid, he believed in himself.

he spent 7 years making his own engine for the witness when he could have done it in 2 using Unity at no detriment to the final product

Who cares. What matters is the final result. 70% of the budget he spent on hiring actual architecture firms to create the landscapes.
My gf whi majored in architecture and doesnt even play games says the places in the witness were so impressive that made her re-evaluate games and played it from start to finish.
Probably he had the time to make his own engine and WANTED to.
He is just enjoying his life while making beautiful products. He is what everybody should aspire to be really.

>Who cares. What matters is the final result.
I agree, which is why I said he should have used Unity
Nobody should aspire to waste time on vanity instead of being practical

Rust could be good

He wanted to do so. Is it so difficult to understand?
He is a millionaire doing what he loves and doing it well.

>He is a millionaire doing what he loves and doing it well.
Strange, he still comes off as a frustrated whiny crybaby, clearly he's not doing something right

Jai is specifically for game development?

Is The Witness that good? I like Braid, still get the violin theme stuck in my head when I think of it, but The Witness just didn't look interesting to me. It seemed like a lot of work went into the environment that didn't really matter.

>he still comes off as a frustrated whiny crybaby, clearly he's not doing something right
Lmao, how can you lack so much self-awareness

The game is great, atmosphere and design are better than Braid imo, and I fucking love Braid.
There is something incredibly satisfying about completing a puzzle after understanding its logic. It’s incredible how much he could push the panel thing.
The locations are all memorable, and during the exploration you’ll sometime find some tape-recorders with awesome dialogs.

I personally love this kind of first-person, exploration puzzle games with bigger than entertainment themes.
Another one that comes to mind is The Talos Principle

Attached: CADBADBE-3082-4BD3-998B-D92F03C9C158.png (1242x2208, 1.86M)

I'd gladly admit that I'm a frustrated whiny crybaby, but I'm not a successful person like jon blow

Why money or success should ever fix that aspect of you?
He’s still human. He just made a couple of great games, he isnt a god or anything.

>Why money or success should ever fix that aspect of you?
of course. what's the point in success otherwise? most successful people are pretty chill, jon blow still rages about everything like a 4channer

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Anyway, I’m busy now. Have a nice day.

>Unity
>no detriment to the final product
I haven't ever seen a single Unity game that isn't a complete technical mess, and don't say it's the dev's fault because I already used that garbage and know how shit it is at its core.

Most of 2D games I've seen in Unity have been technically fine, I haven't used Unity myself but everything about The Witness can be done in any basic 3D engine even if it is a good game, making your own just seems self-indulgent

>Anyway, I’m busy now
sure dude whatever you say

Unity wouldn't even handle an open world at The Witness's level of detail without massive pop-ins, stuttering and slowdowns, it's particularly terrible at scale.

"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out" -Bjarne Stroustrup

Programming in C++ is about as fun as chewing glass shards, but it's the best choice for game development right now. Fuckton of features along with very good performance

I'm not sure I believe that, what makes Unity's renderer so much worse than other engines?

>best
c++
>most fun to code with
c#