Is it unwise to buy 2nd hand GPUs?

is it unwise to buy 2nd hand GPUs?

Attached: used and abused.png (1161x555, 1.28M)

Everyone says that it's ok but I know I destroyed my old HD6850 with mining, back when BTC was a few bucks. Shit started blue screening under load.

ye

If you go in blind and don't do your research you could get fucked. But that's the same rule with buying anything second-hand.

Buy from gamers who upgrade and are not in China.

depends , its hard to know how much wear and tear they experienced . i bought 2 rx580s from some guy i know that used em to mine eth for a year and they've been working perfectly with a good overclock for a year now (for gaming mostly)

Attached: 1496975879282.jpg (2634x1898, 1.06M)

No. I never buy new GPUs, there's no reason to
I just got a RX 580 that seems like it's un-fucking-touched, running for 3 months non stop so far, no issues. It was $90

anything second hand and 80% of things brand new
going in blind to buy shit without knowing is just fucking yourself, regardless.

Is that pic from the guy that ripped out his pci-e slot?

ye

Attached: 1435735322643.jpg (2304x3002, 1.72M)

Yes. You don't know how the cards were used, and for how long.
Also the sellers can and will be lying.

This.
Ex-miners are very creative at scamming.
Some even reapply shrink wrap to the box to make it appear factory-new.

My friend bought a...
>second hand GPU
>that was meant for a laptop
>that had been obviously "repaired", as per a simple visual confirmation
>and he bought it from a sort of pawn shop place where the seller has little technical knowledge

He got it for the equivalent of $15, and was able to play his WoW, Hearthstone, Starcraft and Diablo on it for a couple of years.
Thats the only case I ever heard of anyone buying second hand GPUs, it was outrageous and it seemed to work and be worth it, seeing how he is a poorfag and it was an "emergency" buy as his old one died.

Miner fag here.
Just tell them you are interested, but want to know what settings and for how long they were mining.
They'll probably just tell you.
I have 1050ti that have been mining for a year at sub 50C temps. 40W each.
1060s about 60W never go beyond 50c as well.
Mining isn't any harder than normal gaming usage.

I've found a mining card at 70% of retail that's 3 months old

Isn't buying a mining veteran card on par with buying a former taxi car?
Yes, the age in time is not too bad, but the age in mileage is abhorrent.

realistically the only thing to be concerned about are the fans. I'd like to know how much of their expected life is taken in 3 months of continuous use

>realistically the only thing to be concerned about are the fans
No, the microprocessors also take damage as they work. The materials and structure are altered slightly with use and heat.
Electronics do in fact age, not so much with time as with use.

still, is 3 months not fairly negligible for it? I would have thought that the mechanical failure points are the only real issue

Depends on the conditions they're kept in. Damaging the electronics would require a retard who abuses them or a rare manufacturing defect, but one thing which is never in short supply is retards.

fair point

I bought a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 for €280, only used for gaming, still in warranty for a year.
I don't see why not if it's good stuff and in warranty, saving money and the planet.

Attached: 1550097006192.jpg (639x640, 50K)

where's the tobasco

its actually great , i used a tobasco loop on my GPU and it made the gpu way faster but hotter

Why only chinks are making sensible smartphones?
Samsung has gone full retarded

Attached: xiaomi-mi-mix3.jpg (427x750, 77K)

Look I’ll shed some light into this. I’ve been through 6 1080TIs and what I’ve learned is it depends. Nvidia max voltage is 1.093v. My first time mining I ran the cards at 2Ghz @1.093v and they degraded quickly, so quick that I had to run the cards after 6 months at 1850mhz just to be stable at games.
After that I ran new cards at stock 1.062v 1974Mhz from EVGA. Well they went bad after a year and had to give it 1.081V to keep the stock speeds.
After that I had got some more cards and under volted them and under clocked them. 0.800v and under with 1400mhz speeds so that they can’t degrade quick. Everything degrades, but how much voltage you use I think determines the longevity of the card
That sucks

Attached: 21C1FEC2-195C-4701-97A8-BFA53CBC9C71.gif (349x165, 1.94M)

>saving money and the planet.
Save the planet by killing yourself, you disgusting attention whoring anime pedo scum

Why are you so assmad though?