How autistic is your computer?

I want to know what kind of inexplicable quirks your computer has. Weird problems that persist after you've tried everything to fix it, even changing OS or updating your BIOS

Mine has a strange intermittent stuttering that is not really disruptive but was scary at first

pic unrelated

Attached: 1547010133704.jpg (2004x1336, 524K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/1135571/pc-freezes-when-pressing-printscreen/1135577#1135577
thewindowsclub.com/computer-turns-on-by-itself-windows
easeus.com/partition-manager-software/windows-stuck-on-startup-boot-loading-screen.html
makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/
cnet.com/forums/discussions/after-windows-10-update-audio-is-snap-crackle-and-popping/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mine wont work with any version of windows

Maybe you should get an AMD64-x86 CPU

I can't get my ram to work in dual channel no matter what I do.

fan speed always starts at 100%, after every reboot I have to open speedfan and lower it manually. plz halp

Sometimes it goes to sleep and never wakes up.
Even better: this has been happening both on my windows 10 laptop, AND on my void linux thinkpad. With completely different OSes, CPU generations and therefore power management/states, and other hardware.

Audio pops once in a while because it's physically simpler to get my audio from the monitor via hdmi

mine is the same way i always get hard crashes in dual channel

i am using a ryzen 2600 this is the first board it has happened with

mine does the same thing but only if i use windows

bitlocker doesn't always auto unlock one of my drives but insists it's unlocked if I try to enter the password so I'll need to reboot or relogin

Windows Installation broke twice when updating the two last versoins of my BIOS.

Attached: 1459479536214.jpg (208x250, 8K)

Hate windows and had an issue installing Windows 7 with EFI, so I have to use BIOS to boot windows in MBR or Linux in EFI.

>do a software reboot
>splash screen displays for 0.1 second then immediately shuts off with a clicking noise
>turning it on from off otherwise works normally, no damage to hard drives or anything
could this be a psu issue?

Can't install linux on my MSI GE70 because I bought the older version with Windows 7 preinstalled and the Windows 8 chipset was the only one that got the bios update that allowed toggling for secureboot and so I get gru error every time I try to boot because I can't disable secureboot.

The case on for my desktop has shorted wires for the power button. If I hit the power button it shuts off entirely (fan starts and hdd stops spinning) for about 3 seconds and then reboots (no I didn"t switch power and reboot plugs, the reboot button works fine).

my scroll wheel stops scrolling randomly and works after middle clicking a few times

Have a 50/50 chance that it will blue screen when coming out of sleep or hybernation.
On that note, every computer I've owned has never fully worked with ACPI sleep states to varying degrees. This is actually the BEST computer I've had in this regard and it's still a coin flip. My old 939 Athlon 64 flat out never got sleep to work properly regardless of driver makeup or otherwise. I don't know why shit just dosn't work for me,

>use print screen key
>computer freezes
Happens every time

Attached: rage dream.jpg (1100x1100, 318K)

THIS. why does this happen?

My Z97 Gigabyte motherboard in the morning decides to just not boot like it's stone cold dead until the humidity in the room get's below a certain percentage
Meanwhile every single other computer has no issue in the same conditions

how in the hell?
what do you mean? that's really strange. what motherboard?
what motherboard / ram? also you placing them in the correct slots? A2 and B2? A1 and B1? like most motherboards since DDR 1 days have it set?
ever try going into the bios and setting your fan curve?
clicking sounds like it
get a new mouse. sadly all mice have this problem since all the manufacturers use the same chinese parts for buttons / scroll wheels.
don't use sleep. seriously all i ever see is people complaining about issues with sleep. acpi is shit on regular pc hardware due to manufacturers not obeying standards.
that makes no damn sense. maybe reinstall windows.

If I lock it there is a good chance when I back the computer will have crashed and restarted by itself.

sounds like damage. stop living in florida or get a de-humidifier.

>don't use sleep.
Ok, what the fuck am I supposed to use then, on a laptop? I suppose I could set it to turn off the screen when closed without actually sleeping, and then autistically remember to hibernate every time I want to put it in the bag or otherwise leave it unused for a while. But I think the risk of me forgetting to hibernate, leaving it to overheat and empty out all its battery while just sitting in my bag, is greater in both likelyhood AND impact than the rare occasion when I end up forced to restart it because it >can't wake up.

It turns on randomly if I leave it connected to a power outlet

powering it off?
>hurr boot times
hurrr ssd
>hurr to slow
i don't think your hardware is autistic but rather you're autistic.

The thing is that it doesn't have to be very high in order for it to just not work, about 60-65% relative humidity is all it takes
I recently just decided to replace it with a cheapo ECS board and that board gives no shit about humidity or anything really, infact it's really the only motherboard I've owned that doesn't have any quirks or issues

>what motherboard / ram?
ASUS TUF B450m and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb
>also you placing them in the correct slots?
Yes, I've tried every combination I can and it will only boot if I put them in A1 and B1.

>leave computer for five minutes
>have to wait for it to boot up over five seconds when I get back, instead of being able to instantly get back to it
Ew

ghosts

why in the hell do you need sleep for 5 minutes afk? let alone even 10? if you're going to be gone 20+ just turn it off like a normal person and stop being autistic.

I once had a truly actually cursed Computer I needed to deal with. It would randomly bluescreen all the time, didn't matter if the PC was under load idling whatever it just happened randomly showing no pattern whatsoever. Spent a month trying to rule out any possible software issues.
Reading logs, dumps, OS reinstall, different drivers, clean driver reinstall, different OS, OS on another HDD (this was way before SSDs were a thing) nothing worked. It always bluescreened or kernel paniced. Probably some hardware problem right?
As soon as you changed any part it stopped. And I mean any part. Change the RAM and no more bluescreen. Put old RAM back in, change the GPU, no more bluescreen. Put old GPU back in, change the CPU or motherboard, instant fix. The only parts making no difference were the PSU, Harddrives and Optical Drive. Change them, disconnect them no difference system instability.
Put the original parts into another PC however no problems whatsoever.
Ordered the same parts a second time to rebuild the exact same PC and I mean the exact same parts. I thought maybe there is some incompatibility with that configuration? Nope. Worked flawlessly. But this one system, with these exact parts causes instant system instability.
This shit still keeps me up at night sometimes.

Attached: 1529342532361.jpg (483x430, 36K)

i disable my screen as a speaker and it somehow un-disables itself after starting up again

Nvidia card?

yes

It's the driver. Seen it before. Clean reinstall usually fixes it.

>that makes no damn sense.
I know it doesn't, it just started happening a couple of months ago, it used to work fine.

My audio is distorted or pops. I have to restart it until I get the volume to be ok or reasonably okay. I have changed ram, took out my wifi adapter, up to date with audio drivers, switched between hd audio in bios, ran latency Mon and try to fix the error code it gave me but to no avail. It only happened after I updated to a newer version of windows 10 and resetting everything only fixes it temporary.

>get a new mouse
but I really like the minimalist design, simple button layout, perfect size, and soft touch rubberized coating of my mouse. I don't know if I can find the same thing for as little as I got it for too. Mine's like 5 years old, I don't know if I could give that up unless the clickers are broke

Attached: steelseries sensei raw.jpg (640x480, 15K)

My computer almost always behaves how I like it to. Weirdest problem was when I started putting it in 'hibernate' mode while I slept. It would alwyas randomly turn itself back on.

trips checked and thanks

I think your psu was delivering over voltage.

Only changing the PSU had no impact on the systems stability.

perhaps the outlet you were using

That’s just the botnet checking in on you

The system clock in Windows 10 won't keep time properly on my computer. It'll be set properly when I boot it up, but it'll randomly slow down over time. I've seen it move as slowly as a minute per hour. I can manually sync it with a time server and sometimes that will keep it on time until I shut it down, but sometimes it won't.
Also, it had an issue that persisted for months where it would take 20 minutes to post on the first boot, but if I hit the reset button while it was hanging, it would post normally. That went away on it's own after I left the system sitting for a little over two weeks while I was on vacation, and I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I shut off a lot of the breakers in the house to save power while I was away, including the one it was connected to.

one of the fans on my gpu is a little loose so every few months I have to unplug everything, open it up, and push on the fan and put it back in or it will rattle.
It happened pretty soon after I got it but waiting on a warranty replacement and not having a computer for that time period isnt worth it.

My laptop freezes on the debian installer each time but ubuntu and manjaro worked fine.

The problem was a problem when I got the PC. It wasn't mine originally, A friend brought it in and described the problems to me so I tried to fix it. Ended up buying it off his hands cause I wanted to figure out what was going on.
My point is it showed the same symptoms in two different physical places, with different psu's, on different circuits and in different humidity.

superuser.com/questions/1135571/pc-freezes-when-pressing-printscreen/1135577#1135577

??? Maybe an update fucked it?

Have you considered just scraping the stock cooler all together and actually just ziptying two noctua fans on the heat sink itself?

thewindowsclub.com/computer-turns-on-by-itself-windows

When I turn on my computer there's a small chance that it will hang during boot, the windows logo shows up but the spinning circle doesn't show up and it'll stay there forever until I power off and on again, sometimes it happens up to 3 times in a row until it decides to start up normally. It's been happening since I bought it, in 2011. It's probably the motherboard, since I've upgraded or replaced everything but that, and used every version of windows since 7 and it still happens every now and then

Did you change the CMOS battery?

easeus.com/partition-manager-software/windows-stuck-on-startup-boot-loading-screen.html

>Mine has a strange intermittent stuttering that is not really disruptive but was scary at first
That's an actual problem you should fix.

Not yet. There's nowhere particularly convenient for me to get coin cells around here. Besides, the time is only an issue while the computer is running, it seems to keep perfect time while powered off. Shouldn't a low CMOS battery be the opposite of that?

Mine is unstable on a cold boot, even at stock clocks.
It will sometimes trigger the BIOS's "you fucked up your OC" recovery mode, sometimes it BSoDs, sometimes apps just crash. But after it's been running a few minutes, it's rock solid even on a significant OC.

Because you're tards who have secure boot and the security module enabled. Plus use LTSC.

The OEM locked the BIOS OC settings down. To access them you have to press a function key during POST, enter the "secret" manufacturer password and then push a special keyboard combination plus the power button.

Reminds me when I had a in wall compartment where I put my PC that had direct airflow from the outside. Turning winters where the temperature could go from -20C to -30C, I had to pre-heat the PC or it wouldn't even POST. After it did, it ran rock solid with miraculous overclocks and temperature.

Atom windows tablet: windows clock sometimes slows down, loses a few seconds every minute

Kek. Does it work with GNU/Linux?

So why not flash a new BIOS? If there even are any OC capabilities on the board, I doubt it's a dell or HP or some shit like that, an off the shelf board should be easy enough to work with.

There is no working alternative BIOS. The board was made for the german manufacturer medion by msi, but flashing a retail bios would brick the board. And yes, it definitely allows for some OCing and memory tuning in the secret bios menus.

makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/

Try number 3.

Barely. Linux just about bricked the whole thing, but I did get arch kind of working after trying a billion distros.

Pretty much all linux distros crash during boot unless I specify noacpi or something similar in grub.

Is it a hardware issue? Can you RMA it?

I read that exact article and did that 3 days ago. No change.

My retro laptop sometimes thinks it's the year "00". No, not 2000. And a reboot fixes it.

Those are some very obvious things I already tried. As I've mentioned I suspect it's the motherboard or the RAM, it's the only parts I didn't replace since 2011.

cnet.com/forums/discussions/after-windows-10-update-audio-is-snap-crackle-and-popping/

>enable uefi in old hp laptop
>doesn't find the efistub after most shutdowns for some reason, have to select it manually in the boot menu

>new hp elitebook
>after some months fan is spinning very slowly and BIOS shows a fan error at all reboots
>flash bios update, error gone and fan working again

Apologies. I suppose the new stuff might fix it. Have you reseated the RAM lately?

My computer is incapable of social interaction so you can probably classify it as autistic.

not really the same hardware as yours, but dell backplanes do this when third party hardware is installed sometimes

>Apologies. I suppose the new stuff might fix it. Have you reseated the RAM lately?
I'm glad you're trying to help. Yes, I've actually reseated and rotated my sticks on every single possible combination available, I have 4 sticks and 6 slots, so I spent long time trying one by one on every slot. I tried that because I couldn't get triple channel no matter what, but that didn't help. It's probably a damaged memory controller or DIMM slot, but I gave up on that already

If I go into the Xbox app on Windows 10 and run the network test it always shows that I have at least 1% packet loss. After I run the test there is a chance the internet will completely stop working on my pc until I restart it. As long as I avoid running that test I have no issues whatsoever.

At first I thought it might just be a problem with the app itself but I haven't been able to find any other people reporting this issue online.

Your router's fucked.

Power saving behavior on every laptop I've ever had (except my G4 iBook from the mid 00s), on Mac, Windows, and Linux laptops is atrocious.

Walk away from the computer for a minute?
Music stops playing. Close laptop, it goes to sleep as expected, but then it wakes up on its own in my bag.
Open laptop, nothing happens. Hit random keys, nothing happens. Press the power button, screen turns on, then it decides to go to sleep because I pressed the power button.

How hard is laptop open: time to do stuff; laptop closed: don't do anything

But I have no problems with anything else. I have a few game consoles and cell phones in my house using the router's wifi. Wired connection for my PC. I never have any problems unless I run that test. If the router was screwed up wouldn't I be having other issues?

windows update fucked veracrypt so bad not even rescue disk can fix it, so i now boot from rescue disc every time

So many computers I've had, so many quirks.
>original family PC, P5 75 MHz, basic SVGA, 8 MB RAM, Windows 3.1 and later 95
In 256 color mode, whenever a wave sound is played, the color palette would jumble randomly as the sound plays and then stay jumbled afterward until software changes the palette. Looking back now, I suspect there was a DMA or I/O range conflict between the ISA sound card and PCI video card, but we had no idea about these things back in the day. Stupidly, neither of these components were added or reconfigured by us, it came from Gateway 2000 that way.
>second family PC, P2 450 MHz, RIVA 128, MPEG2 decoder card, 128 MB RAM, Windows 98 and later XP
When exiting a fullscreen game, the desktop would often redraw itself slowly from the top to the bottom over about 15 seconds. Frequent bluescreens, probably caused by some driver. Some boots it would act retarded, other boots it would work fine. It would get Windows creep relatively quickly and we generally formatted and reinstalled Windows yearly. Each reinstall, it would have a new set of little quirks that were different from the previous time.
We assumed the crashing and quirks were a hardware issue of some sort, but all this went away and it acted like a normal computer once we upgraded to XP.
>first personal laptop, P4 2.54 GHz, 512 MB RAM later maxed out to 1 GB, GeForce4 440 Go, Windows XP
Only really minor quirks. It has the usual slowness when thrashing. But then after being up and in and out of sleep for about a week, Windows XP would run out of GDI handles due to some sort of leak. This caused GUI components to fail to draw randomly. So you would get blank error boxes or error boxes with no OK button, half populated menus, etc. A reboot would fix it every time.

My generic PSU killed my mobo after installing a dedicaded video card. I replaced the mobo with a new one and the PSU too, but I removed the graphics card. I never knew if it was the PSU, the mobo or the card fault who killed my PC in the first place, but I'm guessing it was the GPU when using with a generic PSU.

Based Libreboot

Manually adjust timings in BIOS to what's advertised on ram kit instead of leaving it auto?

contd
>first personal desktop, a Mac Pro my parents got me because it was on special through the my mom's work, dual quad core Xeons, GeForce 8800GT, 2 GB RAM later upgraded gradually to 10 GB, OS X Leopard & Windows XP later upgraded to Snow Leopard and Win7
Very little quirks, everything generally just worked in both OSes. XP could only use 2 GB of the RAM since it was 32 bit and the chipset was somewhat retarded in 32 bit mode. Later in its life, OS X got screwy and would randomly take like 10 seconds to create a process. It needed a reinstall.
>junker laptop I got for free plus the cost of a replacement screen, an HP DV2700 or some shit, AMD Turion, 4 GB RAM, some Nvidia 7000 series GPU, Debian w/ Gnome 2.x
Heat Problems. If I tried to put Youtube fullscreen, it would overheat and throttle to 800 MHz under BIOS control. No amount of cooling it or messing with cpufreq could get it to return to a better speed until it was rebooted. Always running it on a cooling pad fixed this. Touchpad was also wonky and nonlinear.
>current laptop, T440p, i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM upgraded to 16, Intel HD 4600 + GT 730M, Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10
For some programs audio gets stuck on speakers and won't move to headphones if they're plugged in (shitty Realtek drivers). 802.11n card started randomly stopping working until disabled and enabled, but this was a hardware fault and replacing it with an ac card fixed it. Nvidia Optimus is autistic. Sometimes the 730M flies, other times I get performance very similar to the Intel HD4600 but it insists the 730M is being used (and the laptop makes enough heat to make me think it's the 730M).
>current desktop, i7, 1080ti+960, 64 GB RAM, Debian + Windows 10
In Linux videos do not like to vsync since it's using an Nvidia proprietary driver and multiple monitors. Even if I force it to sync to the right monitor, it often vsyncs in the same spot halfway down the screen. In Windows it just werks.

>build pc
>blackscreens with gtx 760 gpu but works with shitty amd radeon hd 4000 series card
>mess with some random setting and the 760 works fine
>year later
>randomly stops working one day
>mess with settings, get it to boot and play games again
>turn off pc, doesn't boot again the next day, even with amd gpu
>say fuck it and just use integrated graphics
>works perfectly

I have the opposite problem: within 30sec to a few min of setting my PC to sleep or to hibernate, it always wakes up on its own. I don't want to shut down often, so I usually have to leave it on the lockscreen, or hit hibernate and then quickly flip the switch on my UPS to cut the power.

My monitor dims or brightens for no reason from time to time, thers no pattern to it and its not a huge difference in brightness, only reallyy noticeable when reading or writing. Also some of the bloat i installed withh my monitor occasionally pops up when i start my ymachine, Ramcache 2 specificallyy, I dont even know what it does so i just cancel it and finally the Y key yon my ykeyyboard fairly frequently pretends i pressed it twice.

It wakes up from sleep mode. Never have solved the issue, otherwise it's pretty much flawless.

Computer would randomly black screen and restart while doing anything, couldn't figure it out for months, I had swapped out most parts for some thing else at some point. At some point the 6pin for the cpu melted, I though it was done for, but now the cpu was locked at 1.3 ghz, when it normally is 4.0. I could go into bios, turn off safe cpu power and then it would return to 4.0 but then crash very quickly. Eventually found out that there was a physical switch on my motherboard that says "safe mode" and it's on by default, so I switch it off, everything works fine.

change from the default time server, look it up.

So I take my computer outside to dust it out, take it back inside and everything is fine. But when I turn it on it displays the windows splash screen then just goes to a blank screen, as in my monitor is no longer receiving a signal. Safe mode still works so I try undoing windows updates, different drivers, switching parts out, using the integrated graphics, etc. But nothing works. Then one day when randomly troubleshooting I select my boot drive while in BIOS and it boots into windows just fine, but selecting the boot drive through the bios is the only way to get it to work, just setting it as the first priority does nothing. Still no clue why it started doing this. It probably has something to with the fact that I've been using the same installation of windows 7 for the past 7 years.

did you replace that cpu

either the monitor is dying, or its power supply or
power adapter thing is

Sometimes it detects an unknown USB device but if you look at the port nothing's there! Spooky...
Other than that I guess nvidia drivers crashing on desktop is pretty normal. Last week during boot the machine mysteriously turned itself of again while I was getting a coffee

my intel dq67sw motherboard is like this, i have to select my boot device manually each time. its reallly annoying and boot order doesnt matter much

>someone saved that picture of my badly-repaired GT610

Attached: 1533682272117.png (500x284, 173K)