/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: __hatsune_miku_tell_your_world_vocaloid_and_etc_drawn_by_igo_miku__b8779755607902a8796dc3501afec39e. (1754x2301, 2.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

beyers

God, I wish that were me. And then I'd get better headphones to treat my cute self.

So this is the power of STAX.

Attached: L300.png (900x520, 56K)

I was told not to post this ever again so I'm posting it again

Attached: hd600timbre.jpg (2016x5717, 1.22M)

Just a friendly reminder that Stax headphones are audiophool garbage.

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi, kek

Attached: 1546498796183.png (1027x1369, 784K)

Posted in last thread. I'm looking at the DT770's. Specifically why I should (or shouldn't) get the 250 ohms (black) + DAC/amp over just the grey 80 ohms version on their own. Assuming I'm willing to spend up to $300 for the setup, what would you get?

And are coiled wires bad vs straight? If I were to use a long 3.5mm extension cable, does that effect sound quality? I'm far from an audiophile but i'm trying to ditch my Skullcandy's and wireless gaming headset.

>Scientific research shows that Stax sound like shit
>Measurements show that Stax sound like shit
>Everyone thinks that Stax sound like shit
>The triggered Stax incel continues samefagging itt praising his shitphones

Attached: 15456591310290.png (251x242, 114K)

>Perceived
Worthless subjective pseudoscience data.

try to imagine a world where everyone has a different ear canal

these have been great so far, i didnt even realize it had a microphone at first because its completely built into the headset, people alway comment how good the microphone quality is
the only problem I have with them is the length of the cable, its barely 1 meter long and I often have to place my pc in less than ideal locations for the cable to reach

Attached: 237852_detail_01.jpg (691x342, 42K)

Don't worry Nikki, I'll always be here for you. It'll be me and you in /hpg/, for eternity.

Attached: 72992769.jpg (1500x1800, 1.89M)

Remember that you asked for closed headphone recs. Theres a lot of other stuff in the open headphone space for that price. HD 58xx for example
I'd say people who already own a good headphone amp would go for 250ohm but anyone else should get 80ohm for flexibility.
Cables dont matter unless you're talking about 10m+ cables for speakers where you want balanced xlr.

why not just stick a microphone deep in their ear canal to compare picked up measurements?
could use dead people if it can't be done without hurting the person for some reason

just get the straight cable and use your computers audio.

wtf is that lmao

Damn, I wish I looked this fabulous.

why use microphones at all when you can easily EQ to within 1dB using equal loudness curves?

that's my point exactly, its why his little experiment is flawed. and it's been done already, there are differences between most people but the general population is more alike than different

You could, if you bought stax :^)

>stax
NO

FUCKING

BASS

>there are differences between most people but the general population is more alike than different
so what you're saying then is that target curves can never be truly neutral since everyone has their own perception and variances. thanks for admitting that, user

Get either Topping's DX3 or MX3 if you don't need the line out for it to act as a preamp/dac for something else (in future).

Technically with different resistance the only thing that changes is the amount of power you need to push into the headphones to drive them. The drivers basically return quicker to neutral position with higher resistance. People post all kinds of opinions about the sounds between the DT series but I haven't tried them personally.

A cable is also a cable. If it works it works as long as you're not running it TOO long or it's not broken it will sound the exact same.

OK so that's 2 more anons saying to get the 80 ohms and just use straight up PC audio. I'll be getting the grey ones because of price ($40 difference between 80 ohms black/grey). Do the grey pads wear very quick? Are they replaceable if need be? Lastly, how do you guys connect your headphones to your PC? Via the motherboard I/O? The headphone jack on the front of your PC case? I have a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup plugged in right now. One of the speaker has a headphone jack. Can I plug into that without sound quality loss? Or is there such thing as a 3.5mm switcher (similar to an HDMI switch)?

holy shit that's pretty flat
the bass can be fixed right? im definitely gonna get some

>being this upset
nostaxers sure are uppity today, thanks rtings

not perception, that's subjective garbage, i'm talking about the response at the eardrum, yeah it varies from person to person, but the general slope is roughly the same for most people

You should get what's cheaper. The "pro" series are cheaper here at least compared to the regular ones. Having a desktop headphone amp nowadays is more of a peace of mind and extremely nice convenience thing. After getting used to having volume knob next to me without needing to adjust everything through mixer in Windows there's just no going back, ever.

t.

so what you're saying then that there's no such thing as true neutral and that everyone needs personalized curves for their eardrum. also that would imply people who shill neutral headphones based on compensation curves to be subjectivist audiophools. thanks for your clarification user! :)

The problem with the grey pads is that your deadskin shows up on it after a couple years *sniffs* while the black holds its appearance for longer. You can replace earpads every two years if you use it for hours every day. The best way to connect it would be via the motherboard I/O. The Logitech speaker's output may not be the best for sound quality, sometimes those cheap outputs hiss a lot. Try it and if you don't like it pick up the Fiio E10K or something.

Ok lets say there's 50 anons in a room, we measure their eardrums, and the goal is to create a single accurate headphone for all of them, the only option is to tune it based on the average response. for some anons the headphone will probably be to shrill, to others it will probably be a bit recessed at 3k, that's just the nature of how this hobby is

The pads are quality wise the same. Beyer's default pads on all the lower end DT's are excellent. They will look like shit after couple years of use but on the plus side they cost like 20 bucks and are easy to replace.

Theres such a massive difference between music I want to listen to on speaker vs headphone.
Something well mixed like two steps from hell sounds way more interesting on headphones than it does on speakers while anything flawed is easier on the speakers.

why not just EQ yourself instead of relying on a curve that isn't going to match your HRTF? sounds like dumb subjective audiophoolery to me. the only difference is that it's a target curve instead of a headphone factory tuning

I'm the user that said you originally needed the 250ohms with an amp.

The pads are cheap to buy like $20 so you can buy them later if you really need to. Plug it in any headphone jack on your computer with the 80 ohms. And you can just test it yourself but it all should work fine.

Ok that's what I figured. So how do you guys have both speaker AND a headset plugged in? Or do you not?
>Fiio E10K
That's actually the exact model I was looking to get lol.

The only reason I'm considering the 250 ohms and DAC from the start is price. The black padss 80 ohms is $180. Black pads 250 ohms is $175. I don't like the grey pads. Something I'll have to sit down and really consider on my own. However the above question stands. I'm assuming this being /hpg/, everyone only has headphone plugged in.

Awesome. Thanks for the input! And yea, anons ITT and reviews seem to be talking about how the pads turn to shit.

If you were a girl you wouldn't care about headphones. Only cocks.

Because i'm one of those that fall in the average, most diffuse field headphones sound pretty 'natural' to me, and I listen to music on speakers pretty often too

we've had a girl stax owner here tho

And life would be so much simpler.

>girl

Some people have preamps built into their headphone amps that allows them to switch sources. Honestly if I were you I'd buy whichever DT770 (250 or 80ohm doesnt matter) and an atom amp.

>i'm one of those that fall in the average
being average is a statistical improbability. you have an HRTF and it's guaranteed to not be exactly the same as any target curve out there. also things like insertion depth or directionality are issues. channel imbalances, sample variances, etc

I have Stax 404s and HD600s. The Stax are easily the better headphone. It’s not even close. Don’t fall for shilling, try them out for yourself.

aweomse. Last question. Is there a place I could go and listen to these headphones in person? Or are these headphones that kind that can only be bought online? I'd like to hear them/wear them for comfort reasons before throwing down $250 for headphones and amp.

this is where i play the subjective card a bit, my dad thinks the hd600 is too shrill and hes over 50 years old and they sound perfectly natural to me and I'm in my 20s. he's an oldfag that's been involved in pro audio for decades, he thinks they have too much energy at 3k, i disagree based on my impressions, he likes hd650 and lcd2, both which sound kinda muffled to me, especially the lcd2, doesn't sound anything like speakers it lacks a lot of energy around 3k

404: Bass not found.

>this is where i play the subjective card
you don't get to do that but not allow others to do the same. neck yourself fag

It's probably unethical to go to a store just to test headphones without the intention of buying it from that store.
Usually reviewers will talk about comfort and you rely on those.

The topping MX3 has can drive a set of speakers on top of headphones. If you want a DAC/AMP that has a line out/pre out for a speaker amp, most modern ones have it.

Attached: amp.jpg (4032x3024, 2M)

Okay can you mail your Stax404 to 725 5th Ave, New York, NY 10022 so I can test them out? Don't worry I'll pay shipping back to you when I mail it back. Thanks!

well I mean if given the option I'd much prefer to buy from the store of course. Unless I get there and try em out, and now they want $350 compared to the $180 online.
I'll look into that thanks!

That's my main issue with stuff like headphones or office chairs to try in store. You do get to try them, but if you want to behave decently you're going to overpay for that luxury. And I really hate lying with things like "I'll think about it and probably be back later"

ooh i also have 404 and hd600 :3
the 404 are the clear winner btw, spoiler for newbies

well my thing is that almost everyone has access to the Internet now. If I pull up a brand new version of the exact thing you have in your store for $100 cheaper, you either have to be willing to price match, or at least haggle, or be willing to lose a sale. I don't give a fuck what people think of me when it comes to sales. They're just after my money. I do what's best for me.

>le epic bass meme
When you troll a staxtard epically

No, but if you’re in NYC you’re near quite a few stores that will demo some of the newer Stax models. I suggest you try it! It’ll be fun, and you’ll get to experience just how great Stax actually sound.

wait, we have two 404 + hd600 owners here?

Attached: question.jpg (600x820, 127K)

At least 2.

Attached: STAX GANG.png (593x712, 242K)

404 is literally a tin can kek

Attached: FR_SR404LTD_vs_HD650.gif (512x386, 11K)

bird user has both
floor user has both
crt user has 404, no hd600
idk the other guy :3

Attached: yareyaredaze.png (739x707, 766K)

The 404 clearly has the better curve

if you enjoy tinny sound then sure

I am limp bizkit user. I have both.

The issue with audio stuff is that a LOT, if not almost all of the reviewers are shills of some caliber because of the subjective and snake oily nature of the hobby. It's very difficult to tell if you personally will like one product or other without demoing it yourself because of head shape and preference in sound signature. Some good reviewers will usually comment on the build quality and how one headphone may feel worse than other for longer sessions. Beyers have really good build quality, even the low end models can feel quite heavy which can be taxing for longer listening sessions and gayman, but again this depends entirely on how you personally feel. If your country isn't shit you can always try the product after ordering online and return it if you don't like it.

For me it's the Stax L700, and 009. Anything else is just poor staxlets pretending to be richfags.

Attached: 1550703271154.gif (2952x3047, 1.76M)

You don't own either, prove me wrong, chink

I have your prognosis user, looks like you have developed a serious case of nostax syndrome that will only get worse the longer you refuse to buy stax

honk honk

Attached: 1528462399421.png (1795x1795, 840K)

owning any stax is being chink.

based
chink

>t. chinked.com

who tf is limp bizkit user

Hello newfriend.

a cuck.

chinkoid slavcels on suicide watch

based and liberalpilled

OK so uhh Im CRT user the Queensryche Boomer I have the Lambda Nova Signature not the 404

why no one buys the sr507? isn't it better?

Attached: 1550708187988.jpg (879x1024, 166K)

507 are supposedly the grado of the stax lineup

>grado
Reasonably priced and accurate?

overly forward

oh like a creepy guy that texts u 20 times a morning

If all I ever use are basic bitch headphones like these, would any sort of amp really make a huge difference?

Usually through an ipod classic as well.

Attached: 178a30aa-3add-4cf2-9120-a9b88cafb862_1.5989f488f647972ec4fdefd40b4c9a3d.jpg (450x450, 25K)

no difference

a difference but a volume one that doesn't matter

kek nah like some bitch screeching in your ear though the people I know with 507 really like them

>2 weeks after owning dt1990
>put them on today
>they sound tinny like all mids disappeared
what the fuck happened?? just???

the beyer's remorse wore off

Any anons here tried the klipsch hp3 I've heard that they're similar to the atticus.

i never had it though i can still return them

Redpill on STAX for all the newbies who stray in: Don't fall for the STAX meme.

STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomers. And what they say is true, they have no soundstage.

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Attached: STAX shills will defend this.png (1558x473, 211K)

Attached: immiku.png (1057x1229, 1.06M)

return them, probably broke

Even mid fi planars are better than both of those.

How do you guys have the fucking mindset to do this every single day.
Open hpg. Post stax shit.
Every
Single
Fucking
DAY

based

helps people get to endgame
nikita posts obvious bait, then samefags so hard that all thats in your head is stax
then stax owners say how great they are
a user buys stax and suddenly they're posting about how much they love stax

STAXcels BTFO

Attached: STAX audiophoolery.png (1312x783, 548K)