In simple words, what is the difference and the dependence between a modem and a router. I have a router...

In simple words, what is the difference and the dependence between a modem and a router. I have a router, which connects with a lan cable, which connects to a POE injector. The latter has a power cable on one end and on the other a cable poe that crosses the wall and connects with the antenna that replicates the provider's signal, but why do not I have the much-mentioned modem? What function does it have? Could it be that you have a router with an integrated modem that decodes the signal at the same time? This doubt is killing me, they have the free will to insult me and troll if what I just asked is not coherent;).

Attached: D_NP_722186-MLV26489136710_122017-Q.jpg (284x284, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fit-iot.com/web/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A modem operates under the layer 2 of the OSI model, a router under the layer 3. A modem cannot assignate an IP so you can connect to the internet, that's why it requires of a router.

A modem is the box that speaks the language of your ISP.

A router is the box that speaks the language of your LAN.

What is this? What is his function?

Attached: ubiquiti-poe-24v-05a-D_NQ_NP_856825-MLV25511782535_042017-F.jpg (799x449, 61K)

>what is the difference between a modem and a router

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 44K)

POE simply provides Power Over Ethernet on that line.

>Could it be that you have a router with an integrated modem that decodes the signal at the same time?

Yes. They're called modem router combo. And they're as common as muck.

Why does Jow Forums shill building your own PC, but not your own router?

I built my own.

A modem has firmware configurable by the ISP to provide you your service.
A router is a combination of a gateway which performs network address translation to the WAN, and a switch which performs network address translation to the LAN.

I did build my own. It's made using a jewbox.
fit-iot.com/web/

It should be understood that all "multi-function" consumer electronics are universally garbage.
Or rather, consumer electronics are universally garbage, but multi-function devices especially so.

Imagine being an engineer and you are given a budget and a time constraint to develop something. And you have to make a new version every single year.
You don't have enough time to iron out all the bugs, so the user is just gonna have to restart the device to fix it.
You don't have enough money in the budget to actually use quality components--in fact your managers are telling you to engineer obsolescence into the product.

This is why it is always a better idea to buy single-function business or enterprise-class electronics.
Ubiquiti's wireless access points are very effective and cheap for what they are.
You can make your own router using pfSense that isn't starved for RAM.

>It should be understood that all "multi-function" consumer electronics are universally garbage.
Nobody said they weren't. Fuck your essay.

>consumer electronics are universally garbage
>recommends ubiquity

>Sell shit to Iran, ignoring sanctions get fined half a mill.
>Ignore the GPL because you're above everyone else.
>Lose nearly 50 million through social engineering.
>Buy Ubiquity plz.

WRONG
the MODEM is a device that coverts CABLE OR PHONE LINE into ETHERNET SIGNAL

ETHERNET SIGNAL THEN PLUGS INTO ROUTER
(or in other words modem speaks retard cable language and translates into ethernet language)

ROUTER CONVERTS EXTERNAL ISP INTO INTERNAL LAN NETWORK
(or in other words, the router speaks the ISP language and translates to your home language)

You've just said exactly what the other guy did in a more convoluted way.

Thats Steve Jobs?

Whats the deal with airline peanuts?

no I didn't.
he said the modem is the box that speaks the language of your ISP, that is wrong. The ISP sends TCP/IP inside of another language that's inside of an analog signal.

Modem modulates and demodulates the intertubes juice.
Router routes the juice into the intratubes.
self.op.destroy()

Attached: phone2.jpg (600x600, 82K)

>taking this much offense for no reason
OP asked a simple question, and he clearly doesn't know how trash multifunction anything is.

>The ISP sends TCP/IP inside of another language that's inside of an analog signal.
Well kinda, but not really.
Probably better to just use the other guy's explanation.
I mean, this
>(or in other words, the router speaks the ISP language and translates to your home language)
isn't any more correct.

A router connects different networks. A modem connects different types of media. The exception here is wireless ethernet to wired ethernet, which doesn't use a "modem", though you could argue that it is.

The modem is in your router.

because most of Jow Forums doesn't have the skill for real networking

Often the case, but also often not.