I was reading through Sean Parker's wiki page and it mentioned that when he was 16 he was busted by the FBI for hacking...

I was reading through Sean Parker's wiki page and it mentioned that when he was 16 he was busted by the FBI for hacking into Fortune 500 company's network.
Outside of being born as a genius, how do these people do it? How could they have a networking knowledge at such a young age that they were able to find exploits?

Attached: original.jpg (636x721, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Parker
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Parker

Not saying the guy isn't smart, but, I'm ~5 years younger then him and when I was a kid fucking around on computers they were really easy to hack. Or, crack, as we called it then. Before ecommerce got really popular and people started taking note of security, a lot of stuff was pretty wide open. My school did accounting exams on the computer and I used to fuck with the professor and alway cause problems remotely the night before (the test was easy, but he professor was an asshole) so he'd get all upset at the tech department. They had default passwords, then once they changed that you could brute force passwords to get in.

Now I have barely any idea how to break into anything since now even a basic router would limit logins I imagine. Can't just leave your shitty home computer going trying passwords.

the internet was a different place in 1995

Yeah back then a big company's IT "department" would consist of 1 or 2 people.

It was just not the same back then. Go look up what the phone phreakers were doing before that, they were just replicating dialing noises because the way the phones worked was they would not "hear" the noises before you put in a quarter so if you put a speaker up to them and played numbers back it would dial

Everything was not triple handshake encrypted back then, good luck doing anything like that now. you will never even break into a gmail account without social engineering much less the feds

So why are so many businesses and governments still getting "hacked" by chinese left and right?

>So why are so many businesses and governments still getting "hacked" by chinese left and right?
They are almost all using social engineering. Doing such things as sending emails to people in the company and asking for passwords, hiring people to go through the garbage at night shit like that.

If I send you an email with the google logo on it asking for your gmail password and you send it to me, did I "hack" you?

90s forums, ircs - older people were transferring knowledge to younger kids who were complete shit heads. Paired with the fact that enterprise people didn't know how to secure systems.

back then a lot of it was just having the balls to port scan everything and make an effort to hack shit and there was a feeling back then along the lines of "I'm under 18 what can they do to me? fuck it"

and that went a long way back then

yep. A lot of it was done simply for street cred in those forums

I was not hacking back then but I am old enough to remember that time period and I remember the general thought was "if you don't want people to access your computer, don't hook it up to the internet"

I don't really think the average person thought of accessing someone else's network as a crime when you heard about it, it was just a fun thing to do

>yep. A lot of it was done simply for street cred in those forums
pretty much that's all it was for back then, you never hear about them trying to steal money or anything they were just doing it to say they did

Remember the whole "ethical hacking" movement? With them trying to make the distinction between "hacking" and "cracking"....

>Remember the whole "ethical hacking" movement? With them trying to make the distinction between "hacking" and "cracking"....
still a big thing, they call it "white hat pen testing" now

OP here, thanks for the responses. I had no idea the internet was this unprotected in the 90s. When was the first breakthrough in internet security/protection? When people could relatively safely trust their bank and private information with websites sites? (outside these big scandals that happen)

Although the guy still made Napster when he got out of highschool and developed a web crawler that got him recruited by the CIA in high school. Man nothing makes me more of a genetic failure than these tech people

I would say it was not till about 2003 onward that lots of people had their bank info online.

What happened was that in the 60s and 70s and 80s a lot of big companies like telecom companies made computer networks and then from about 1992-1996 the internet got big and tons of faggots started trying to get on those networks that had previously never had exposure to hackers before. That part happened really fast.

not saying your boy was not a bad ass but it was a different time back then. for the last 20 years hundreds of millions of smart people have had fast 24/7 internet access, that was not the case in the early and mid 90s.

Kind of like how you could be a bank robber in the 1880s and just wear a scarf over your face and if you could make it to the next town without getting shot you would get a way scott free. No fingerprinting or cameras or anything like that. It was just a different world

>all these based boomers in this thread

you guys are awesome

Attached: elder-boomer-tier.jpg (720x960, 69K)

Simply said: security was not as advanced back then. It was much easier to implement and break. It was so bad, a child could do it. Just compare 90s stack smashing to memory exploitation techniques required on 64-bit systems today that involve ROP techniques. It's getting more academic and more difficult.

>Why are massive communist state funded APT groups still able to attack organizations?

That is how retarded you sound.

It's just called penetration testing. "White hat" is redundant.

>It's just called penetration testing. "White hat" is redundant.
actually pen testing is illegal without permission so white hat means you have permission

>Go look up what the phone phreakers were doing before that, they were just replicating dialing noises because the way the phones worked was they would not "hear" the noises before you put in a quarter so if you put a speaker up to them and played numbers back it would dial
kek I made a blue box as a kid. only problem was I had no one to call but my mom.

now I did make one of those street light changers also that flashes the right frequency, and that worked really well. Luckily I never got caught with that. I was like 15 though so what would they have really done, I never had to balls to use it in my car, just to sit there on my bike and screw up traffic in the town center.

is that bolsanaro?