How do I prepare my devices for protection from the CBP when traveling into the US?

How do I prepare my devices for protection from the CBP when traveling into the US?

Attached: CBP_DHSlogo_1.png (837x685, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/document/eff-border-search-pocket-guide
youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>wipe
>download backup when past border

Make backups at home. Wipe device. If you don't wipe it, be prepared for the possibility that they ask you for the device's password or it's destruction.

Having a wiped device just look more suspicious

Try to not have CP on your HDD

Why do they do that?
It's so retarded, what kind of retard would smuggle terrorist files over the borders when the internet exists?
I mean what's the point noone transfers files by physically traveling from a country to another the internet exists for that purpose.

This isn't about suspicions, this is about you potentially carrying in stolen content/information as well as leaving with encrypted information. Both of which are illegal in the USA.
You'd be surprised.

>this is about you potentially carrying in stolen content/information

So copyrighted material?

Don't take them...
Just ssh back into your system at home

Don't ever bring your main devices into countries like the US or China. Dummy phones with dummy accounts. Make them look normal and fill them with fake bullshit.

Just bring your shit, the US has laws against unreasonable searches and seizures.

>He actually believes this

Attached: 1533496212416.png (645x729, 58K)

By practicing GOATSE, since TSA will search for stuff there

I travel out of the country all the time, this never happens.

bullshit
i traveled to the us then china at least twice last year with my main devices and never got deeply inspected by neither government other than the explosives tape wiping thing.

its only a random thing they have to do over VERY fucking suspicious people.

>It never happened to me so it never happens period
>A sample size of one is enough to make broad statements about literally millions of people travelling in and out of the US

They don't do anything at all unless things have changed in the past 5 years. The only thing you even do at customs is the short verbal questionnaire, they don't care what you have with you.

Don't go to the (((U.S.)))

Take the drugs out of your computer, user.

Why would you ever travel into the US?

They think it'll be like the 80s and 90s movies they watched.
Same as weebs who go to Japan thinking it'll be a wonderful adventure like in their favorite anime.

You might have to due to your job. But that is the exact reason that burner phones, tablets and laptops are a thing. As well as burner accounts. But aside from job reasons like negotiations there is no reason to ever visit that 7th world shithole of a country.

Say you subscribe to the philosophy of Marie Kondo in your digital life as well as your physical life.

Attached: marie kondo.jpg (2731x4096, 1.32M)

At a border (or during customs declaration for packages) CBP agents go above law and constitution.

>as well as leaving with encrypted information. Both of which are illegal in the USA.
So iPhones are illegal?

Attached: 57w.jpg (125x104, 2K)

They must suck at searching then, cause they X-rayed my bag full of electronic shit (2 smartphones, 1 Clip+, 1 ThinkPad, 1 external HDD) and didn't find any of my shit. Three times.

Face it: if they search you, it's cause you're already on the list.

Assume they will confiscate your devices and never return them to you (or if they do they will be bugged at firmware or hardware level). Also, they will make an image of your HDD and store it forever.

If you are a potential target (e.g. journalist, security researcher, executive of some big foreign corporation) the best you can do is to not bring any kind of electronic device with you. Once you crossed the border you can buy a burner phone and maybe some cheap laptop.

Finally, remember the CBP and TSA can stop you for hours or even days if you don't provide them the passwords needed to access your data, and if you are not a citizen they won't let you enter the country (so you will have to wait in a jail until you can fly back).

eff.org/document/eff-border-search-pocket-guide

Attached: TSA.jpg (600x397, 75K)

I have a spic name, I'm on the list.

I honestly don't understand why persons of interest still visit that shithole. You are endangering yourself just by travelling there using burner shit or not so why put yourself at risk like that?

That’s how security actually works. The xrays and shit is just security theater. It can only catch the lowest hanging fruit, and only if the TSA wagie is paying attention.

>like the 80s and 90s movies they watched.
Wait, are you telling me it's not like that anymore?

Attached: goonies.jpg (1600x800, 177K)

I know you are joking but lets be honest, it wasn't even like that in the real 80s and 90s.

Clean your fingernails as well as all that shit behind your ears, remove your tattoos and stop wearing red T-shirts. You'll be fine.

>get a load of this zoomer
youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

As everyone here is saying, even if you encrypt all data you have on you, they can try, and at the very least massively inconvenience you, to decrypt it. The safest bet is to not have any data on you at all. Wipe your device and restore from the cloud once you are behind the borders.

I have never been harassed, searched, or been asked to open a device, but I'm a US citizen and I guess not on any anti-freedom lists.

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't born in a third world shithole like the US.

Basically bullshit conferences and business meetings.

The real reason why they inspect your laptop is because drug cartels started gutting laptops and stuffing them with drugs.
They basically need to verify that it's am actual laptop and that you're not a smuggler
> t.uncle works for customs

>verifying functionality 'ensures' it's not used for smuggling
my thinkpad has a little tray where the optical drive is supposed to go, I can shove anything I want in there and my laptop will still be functional. You have to take the laptop apart to get to it, too

Hey dumbfuck don't give them reasons to totally disassemble every laptop now

You don't really believe that do you?