I heard this shit has a really good debugger, what makes it so special?

I heard this shit has a really good debugger, what makes it so special?

Attached: [email protected] (1200x628, 255K)

>using debuggers...
>not just writing console logs

It has an interactive graphical debugger that doesnt crash. If you need to do a lot of that stuff it may come in handy.

It's a shitton better than GDB that's for sure

it's the extensions. Find yourself some good extensions and you'll have fun with this. Why don't you try it? It's free.

Visual studio debugger makes me moist

It just werks. You can see values if anything by just hovering over them by mouse(or make them visible all the time if you want), see return values of functions, it doesn't shit the bed on multithreaded applications and it can even run your program step by step backwards in time if accidentally skipped a breakpoint. And I haven't even scratched the surface, I don't use it that often.

It even has a documented way for costum visualizers (natvis). So you can add support for any bootleg data structure as long as you don't mind some xml

this desu

Its good to control breaking points and you can rewind and backtrack during debugging. Is honestly pretty handy.

the debugger is so good I was surprised to find out not all were like it when I was starting out, I literally have trouble using anything else

visual studio can act as a GUI for gdb. it's super comfy.

>writing boilerplate code instead of not writing boilerplate code
I'll stick to debugging.

Attached: 1530275494171.gif (480x268, 2.22M)

It feels practically designed, if you can think of something you want to see/know during debug or test, it can do it/show it. I haven't done anything crazy with it but overall visual studio is really, really convenient unlike a lot of Microsoft's other shit

>company spends millions to improve software
>devs are paid to listen to customer feedback
>software actually ends up being good
Freecucks will never understand this feeling.

Attached: 1521307040083.jpg (207x244, 9K)

Rent free.

The same company that made visual studio made some really poorly designed shit like SSMS

>company wastes millions to """improve""" software
>devs milk their pay by doing little to nothing or mediocre job at best
>software ends up being bloat
FIFY

they made stepping into/over lines REALLY good and can hover over anything to get info

Is it possible to use VS Community without a Microsoft account or do I have to sign in to use it?

I remember a quote that went along the lines of a properly-placed print statement being infinitely better than the bloated debugging machinery that we would otherwise had to use.

>t. never wrote anything besides a hello world program, if that

If you can't figure out the problem at hand with a couple of print statements you're not a good programmer.

Can I use this on linux?

Crack?

>devs are paid to listen to customer feedback (unless the customer desires something that would reduce company revenue in the long run like open standards for file formats)

Why not just write a simple statement to stderr and write the details to a log file?

Loving Every Laugh at all this salt. Only delusional *nix tards can somehow have the levels of cognitive dissonance that are required to complain about software that is consistently praised as being best in its class.
But no, I'm sure you get much more done by scribbling incoherent "code" on a small piece of hide that you harvested from your GNU + deer.

>and it can even run your program step by step backwards in time if accidentally skipped a breakpoint. And I haven't even scratched the surface, I don't use it that often.
Only if the debugger supports it. I haven't seen any languages outside D do it.

you're good at getting (You)s i'll give ya that but everyone knows they don't listen to customers. you're in denial if you think otherwise.

t. someone who had never used jetbrains products

VS supports it at least for C# and C++, probably for the rest of .net languages as well.

It's not even that it's good, it's that it isn't complete garbage like every other debugger.

>hurrr
You have to be clinically retarded if you even begin to suggest that JetBrains' IDEs are even remotely close to the feature set or functionality of VS. Get the fuck out of here, I was enjoying you retards being idiotic before, but now I'm actually mad.
They have one of the most robust bug-filing and feature requesting platforms available, and have documented evidence of how much they add shit and change shit based on customer feedback. Just stop.
>impressive debugger feature
Surely this post will be seen by all the naysayers. Surely.

Attached: 1541860490241.png (895x252, 31K)

The general rule, if you want better tools, make them yourselves.

> Free Software community is too full of freeloaders imo.

I will though, because VS Code is free.

You can use VS Code on linux. It's free and works great.

>freecuck can finally admit to himself that a corporation that paid its developers has created a tool that is better than every FOSS alternative
Feeling better user?

I never pretended emacs made sense

VS Code can run on Linux, but proper Visual Studio is still a Windows exclusive.

Jesus fuck, this thread is full of bait Jow Forums. Save yourself the frustration, and prevent it from ruining your day by closing the thread. I'll give an explanation:

is bait because it's obviously a stupid idea

is bait because it makes a broad sweeping statement that is obviously wrong, tempting you to reply because you feel it will be so easy to disprove them. When you do reply, they will deliberately make yet another flawed statement without acknowledging anything you said, causing you to reply again, ad nauseam.

is just . It's bait.

Sound like shills, even if Microsoft's debugger is good.

>documented evidence of how much they add shit and change shit based on customer feedback
what i meant when i said that they don't listen to their customers is implementing gay features like ads in start menu and changing ui 3 times a week.
their documentation for developer tools is top notch and insider previews are cool too but their tools are only really good for windows platform (apart from vs code). that may or may not change now that ms have taken notice of open source community.

>if i don't like it, its bait or shills
Unironically kill yourself, my man.
Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck started talking about Windows? Get the fuck out of here.

That's because VS Code is made with Electron and as such is a memory hog. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but poorfags don't have enough RAM to handle the big boy toys.

you implied that all free software is shit so i assumed you were making a point that all of ms shit is a godsend. guess i was wrong about that. but even if this wasn't the case their tools are only really good for their own platform and even then nobody uses win32 api apart from legacy software maintainers. gnu toolchain is more than adequate for developing c/c++ applications.

this