Backlight bleed / ips glow

How do I buy a monitor without one?
Left is EIZO CS230, bought in 2014.
Right is Dell U2719D, bought today.

IRL Eizo's bleed is actually not there, the camera is distorting, while Dell's is actually the same as in the pic.

Attached: IMG_20190222_191531.jpg (4640x2610, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/cj791#comparison_1426
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You need to read reviews where they measure that. Tftcentral is probably best for that. They have a section "Panel Uniformity" in their reviews where the data is shown.

>IPS shit
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FAGGOT

>How do I buy a monitor without one?
Play the panel lottery like everybody else. I returned eight monitors before I found one that was acceptable, all of which used the same AUO panel. Quality control is shit across the board.

But bleed and glow are sample-specific. Even if a reviewer's cherrypicked sample was great, you're likely to get a shit one.

>buying ips
It's kinda what you get when you buy IPS

You don't. IPS glow is an inherent issue of the technology. Good panels will have little glow, but every single one has some degree of it.

When you buy IPS, you are playing the panel lottery. I have heard people go through 6+ monitors trying to find a good one.
Either play the game or buy a VA or TN monitor.

>£542 vs £370
Gee I wonder why it's inferior

This
Unless your doing actual color work (and no watching anime doesn't count) then there is nothing wrong with a decent VA panel

I'll be honest, I've never had other monitor than IPS. I'm a software dev and all I need is two monitors, preferably 27" 1440p, occasional gaming. The reason why I've never considered TN panel is that I've read they are worse at viewing angles. Can't compare them in shops since they only have some shitty

If you do want to try something new try VA, it's a panel type that never gets any real recognition in the PC space despite being possibly the most manufactured panel in existence since almost all LCD TVs are VA

You don't. It's a feature of IPS panels

set brightness to 0

it's more important to make sure it's pwm-free

IPS glow is NORMAL
Bleeding is because CHINK CHONG didn't assembly correctly the panel on the frames.

Bleeding shouldn't be normal.

The VAs used in TVs are different from the SVA that most monitors use.

Best to get a TV then?
If so what model is good as a monitor?

SVA is Samsung-only. You get better panels (AMVA/+) from brands like Philips and Benq. If ghosting bothers you, get one with a higher refresh rate

It doesn't get recognition because on average VA panels have terrible ghosting and input lag. If you're buying a premium VA panel you might as well just get a premium IPS.

LG's 2019 OLED sound perfect for PC if you want to risk burn in. They're saying they have a new low latency processor with a low latency input mode for gaming, they're supporting full HDMI 2.1 spec including variable refresh/freesync, and improved black frame insertion (low persistence), and OLEDs already have 0.1 to 1ms response times. Not to mention near perfect viewing angles. I really want one...

Otherwise TVs have okayish response and input lag so most of them would be fine, but if you're going to be sitting up close the low viewing angle of VA will probably be noticeable. I use a x900e for HTPC and consoles in the living room and it's fine for that, but you'd probably notice color shifts from like 2ft away if your peripheral vision is good

Stop buying cheap shit. EIZO ones is much higher end.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

I love how many seething OLED and TN panel copers these threads get. Nobody even called them out, they just come here since their buyers remorse forces them to.

Better in what way? The Samsung C34J791 seems to have among the best response times of VAs.

Contrast, uniformity and input lag. Last time I heard, Samsung introduced delays to compensate for the slow response so their VA monitors always had terrible input lag

rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/cj791#comparison_1426

??? looks really good to me actually. The only thing is the black uniformity like you mentioned. Of course, RTings measures everything against TVs which are the gold standard aesthetically.

>IPS glow is an inherent issue of the technology
True.

>Good panels will have little glow, but every single one has some degree of it
Untrue. A-TW polarizers all but eliminate glow.
Problem is there are barely any panels that use them anymore, with only Panasonic still making them to go into high end Eizo ColorEdges and HP Dreamcolors.

>Untrue. A-TW polarizers all but eliminate glow.
Which are a meme.

>expensive
>kills contrast
pick one

Imagine being a TN shitter in 2019

The PC market was too busy sucking Apple's retina cock to worry about VA
No one gave two shits about panel type of the monitor they where using (in the home space atleast) until Apple came along with the retina meme and then all of a sudden every PC OEM and smartphone OEM had to have IPS.

short research tells me it reduces glow but potentially makes it green/magenta...

Well, seems like they finally dropped the half-measures. Viewing angles seem a bit below average tho

First I've heard of A-TW polarizers affecting contrast. It's not like IPS has great contrast to begin with.
The reason I've read about that people wouldn't want A-TW is that it produces some green/purple color shift towards the edges of the display, and for color critical work it's actually preferable to just have glow, which affects the image more predictably.

Right, but outside color critical work it's a relatively minor problem.

Why does even VA have shit black uniformity and clouding

It's really just luck of the draw. You can influence your chances a little bit by reading fairly recent user comments/reviews, and see if people have generally been getting a good batch of panels with a particular brand/model. Either way, you should be fully prepared to return anywhere from 2-3 times to get something you consider decent, so make sure you're buying from a retailer with a very liberal return policy. I went through 4 monitors (plus one that got canceled on me) before I finally got one that's pretty good--even it still has a tiny amount of BLB, but far, far, far less than most IPS panels I've seen.

Return it and get a new one, if you bought it from Dell they let you return anything no questions asked for 30 days or something.

And when you get one with almost no bleed it has dead pixels...

Actually, that was my primary reason for returning all of them--the BLB issue was secondary.

So, I got extraordinarily lucky to get a panel with both no dead pixels, and probably the least amount of BLB I've ever seen on a panel of this sort. It was an Acer XB271HU if anyone is wondering. Really, the biggest downside is the obnoxious branding, but otherwise it's quite good.