Rover build

I've been playing with DIY electronics over the past couple of weeks and i've gotten bored of the typical shit you find on Indian youtube channels.
I want to build a rover with remote control and real time video. Ideally it would function at least 100 meters away from where it is being controlled from and provide decent video playback.

Have any of you Jow Forumsents got experiance doing anything like this?

Attached: rover1.png (1464x536, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Ic1B9Mg6i4&list=PLzidsatoEzej82fN6okQjhz7DYPisJYKE
youtube.com/watch?v=C69E9rm8x8M
boards.4channel.org/g/thread/69898029]
boards.4channel.org/g/thread/69894560]
youtu.be/U9DR4OpSKvY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not personally, but how about those PV drone guys

you could probably source some parts, tutorials etc from these guys, for the video transmission and remote controls anyways

I coded a guidance system for a mars rover at a hackathon, does that count

youtube.com/watch?v=6Ic1B9Mg6i4&list=PLzidsatoEzej82fN6okQjhz7DYPisJYKE

Look at this guy's rover with an electric wheelchair

yeah I thought about it but I also want to send commands back to it which would contain more data than a typical RC remote

Nice, how did you control it?

slightly offtopic, this guy also built some autonomous farm technology
youtube.com/watch?v=C69E9rm8x8M

send coordinates over cli

I was looking for more of a teleprecense set up.

Direct control is what i am looking for

just stick an fpv camera on it, they're pretty common with the drone racing scene.

Say that again but slowly and consider pieces of hardware:

your shopping list will include:
> a raspi
> a webcam
> computer vision software
> an antenna, if you have an orl rc toy you can just take the rc
> an FPGA

I want to transmit usable video data a few hundred meters and send instructions back to the rover over the same distance.

Controlling it over a raspberry pi is easy enough, as is connecting the webcam but i'm not sure how to handle the sending and recieving of data.

Do you want the controll data to be sent through the same stream as the video data?

Do you want the video data to be sent piece-wise or in chunks?

USB LTE dongle

UI could use some improvement but interesting otherwise.

I dont mind how the video data is send so long as it can be recieved from a distance.
I wouldn't mind the data being in different streams either.

I was thinking this and sadly I might end up using it despite the latency

>I wouldn't mind the data being in different streams either.
2.4G and 3G directed wifi should be good.

Ask these guys they will know a lot more about internet protocols, streaming data, etc than i would.
WDG [boards.4channel.org/g/thread/69898029]
HSG [boards.4channel.org/g/thread/69894560]

ROS has an android library, I've used it to stream live video from the phone camera. I plan to use the phone as a Hotspot, pi GPIO controls the robot connects to Hotspot and both talk to roscore vps. Let me know if you have questions.

>I dont mind how the video data is send so long as it can be recieved from a distance.
5.8GHz video system is what you're looking for. Get a camera, a VTX that can transmit at about 200mW, a pair of circular polarized antennae, and an otg video receiver. Should cost no more than $60 all-in

>despite the latency

latency is a few ms within a couple of miles in a point2point socket connection.

whoa
do these directed wifi panels just throw wifi over a distance? or did I miss something?

I was planning on going really barebones with this in terms of functionality because I didn't expect to get much bandwidth.

>I plan to use the phone as a Hotspot
So you are using the phone to connect to the internet and control it through that?

buy RC car receiver/transmitter. 2.4 ghz. works pretty well up to 1/4 mile.

Wifi is an electro-magnetic field. Different dishes shape the field differently. For the same energy you might have a more directed field (see image) but less general range, the shape changes depending on the application. Wifi is basically just overlapping radio fields in which photons of a specific energy travel between points (transmitter and reciever). We do different frequencies like 5GHz or 2GHz so that we can transmit data to the same place with minimal interference between signals.

*The more you know*

Attached: wifi.jpg (529x427, 146K)

dis what dug po-po use
youtu.be/U9DR4OpSKvY

So like what the people on robotstreamer.com are doing?

Yes the phone has a data plan both it and the Raspberry pi use it to connect to a server. I have a ROS teleop package to drive the pi and stream out the video feed. I am working on agriculture robots, they will autonomously navigate fields and collect sensor data.