Audio professionals are complaining that the T2 security coprocessor in new Apple Mac models causes annoying audible...

>Audio professionals are complaining that the T2 security coprocessor in new Apple Mac models causes annoying audible glitches when using USB-connected recording gear.

>According to a report from professional audio site CDM, the T2 chip Apple uses for secure boot and storage encryption in last year's iMac and MacBook models has a tendency to take over the USB 2.0 bus when it synchronizes its time and date clock, which introduces delays to audio streams. This results in audio equipment connected to the Mac via USB 2.0 interfaces to occasionally drop audio streams.

>"The problem is, it appears that this new chip has introduced glitches on a wide variety of external audio hardware from across the pro audio industry, thanks to a bug in Apple’s software," CDM's Peter Kirn notes. "Issues with the way the new chip synchronizes timing causes dropouts and glitches in the audio stream."

>The sound interruptions are frequent enough that users on multiple support forums say the new Macs are "pretty much useless" for either studio work or live performances via the affected interfaces. The issue impacts virtually every major hardware vendor and device that connects via the internal USB 2.0, which includes a vast amount of legacy hardware that people don't want to or can't upgrade.

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1532023061290.png (716x969, 339K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostbin.com/paste/vf4ch,
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

at least post the link, fag.

Attached: 1549537874115.jpg (1380x2048, 2.02M)

Attached: 1527738866438.png (1114x1214, 828K)

INB4 the holy satania poster

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1540496881342.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

based

based

>applel

Oh no! An anti-Apple item in The Register, of all places.
They should get over Jobs snubbing them.

BASADO

Why not use a $5 USB-C to USB-A adapter and connect the audio interface to the thunderbolt bus?

>professionals
>*still* using Macs
nah, calling BigBS on this one

enlighten me - wot did Based (but ded now) Jobs do to El Reg?

Does Windows support sound quality better than 48K/16bit over USB without additional drivers?

Because the Type-C ports use something called "alternate mode", meaning they work in USB mode if you plug a USB device into them (and hence using the internal USB that causes the glitching), Thunderbolt mode if you plug a Thunderbolt device in, or DisplayPort mode if you plug a display in.
The only way to get around this on the affected machines is to connect a Thunderbolt dock with its own external USB controller. Those kinds of docks go for upwards of $150.
It's becoming pretty obvious that Apple is actively trying to kill the Mac.

They're probably trying to get musicians and DJs onto iPads as soon as possible.

Satania and redpilled

based

based

>USB2
>pro audio
Anyone who uses USB for "pro audio" is a retard. These issues are well known and effect any system.

>$150
>expensive for a $3k laptop
>expensive for pro audio gear
i dont think any part in my computer cost less than $150 new

bullshit. RME driver stability is amazing

People have existing setups and "professionals" like youtubefags / my iphone means I'm a photographer.

>every computer has a apple specific chip in it
Clearly you're retarded, shill.

The problem is more about buying more things to hook together to get your shit to work properly, and the fact that external devices could have problems of their own (including increased latency) which means you have to shop around and test shit to find what is actually worth buying.
Once you get to that stage, why not just buy a PC?

I don't understand. Is the thunderbolt bus not affected by whatever system management mode this stupid T2 bullshit does?

proprietary software and non-transferrable licenses

based

Satania a shit

Attached: 1486413240510.png (500x349, 170K)

DELET

> Is the thunderbolt bus not affected
Being a PCIE - probably not, or it won't pass the QC for glitching GPU and storage.

example of this happening?

cringe

Blacklisted for shooting in Apple products or something. Paste here ghostbin.com/paste/vf4ch, or the highlights:

>It's been a number of years since an Apple PR staffer secretly admitted to one of our reporters that The Register was on a blacklist.

>We also learned that they were under strict instructions never to admit to the blacklist – presumably because it would make one of the world's largest companies look, you know, pathetically petty.

>And so, for a decade now, we have played a game where we ask Apple's US office for review products or to attend launches or go to events and they respond with silly expressions like "I'm sorry, but we cannot accommodate your request" or "all the seats are taken" or the current favorite "you are on our media waitlist."

>As to the question why The Reg is blacklisted by Apple, well, who knows for sure.

>Perhaps it was the fact that our story, including the headline "APPLE: SCREW YOU, BRITS", was read out in the London High Court as evidence when Samsung complained about Apple's mealy-mouthed apology. Perhaps it was our spirited coverage of its deceased cofounder. Or that we pointed out that HomeKit isn't happening any time soon. Or Jagwyre. Or maybe Apple execs just don't like Dickens' Great Expectations.

Woooow it's almost as if big companies have a list of good boys who shill their shit unequivocally.

Most do, but very few maintain a black list. People say shit about Google, HP, Dell, etc but if anyone asks for a review unit, it doesn't matter their review history, they send one out.

That's because Google/HP/Dell have nothing to lose. Their fans will still buy their shit and they have too many competitors to try and grab people on the edge. Meanwhile Applel is a literal cult and will do all they can to silence opposition.

i'm waiting for the next Teradata smear based around the same earnings report as the previous two articles

I don't know why I still read El Reg every day. new front page design is atrocious and their comment sections are filled with mongoloids

redpilled as fuck

Why the fuck does that chip need time data?

Yeah, it's important to remember the difference between a company working more with people that support them and explicitly excluding those which don't play ball. Relatively few reputable tech companies will explicitly stifle an outlet for negative coverage, even if they won't be offering them as many exclusive early looks in the future.

Don't they use Thunderbolt ADC/DACs anyways? Main point to even use a Mac for that shit.

>USB 2.0
>worries about latency
Yeah, nobody uses USB 2.0 if they are worried about latency for audio.

I thought it went all the way back to them taking the piss out of Jobs pronouncing Jaguar as "Jagwire"

Who said anything about Windows? The only audio guy I know that isn't using MacOS is using Debian.

can you read?

wrong

I don't think apple is trying to kill the mac. They are simply incompetent, that's all.

>Yeah, nobody uses USB 2.0 if they are worried about latency for audio.

CoreAudio has single digit latency for most hardware, it's why people use Macs for audio more than PCs.

Pirate it