15 Billon Kilobytes of Free Online Storage

Google Play Music says that — "You can add up to 50,000 songs to Google Play Music from your personal music collection using Google Play Music for Chrome or Music Manager (up to 300MB per song).

50,000 x 300mb is 15 million megabytes, or 15 Terabytes. Did somebody at Google make a mistake offering this much free online storage? Comparatively, the free storage limit across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google photos is 15GB.

Attached: 1.png (640x640, 21K)

IIRC the trick is it replaces your uploaded versions with versions from their server, so you're in effect just streaming a normal copy

if you're jewgled already,
can you try to upload a zip as a wav file?

So it will only scan and upload shit they have?

When you upload a non-MP3 audio file, it gets transcoded to MP3 and if you try to download the song, you download the MP3 instead.

It scans and matches your files to theirs and adds it to your library automatically, if it is a 100% match in terms of bitrate, lenght, etc., probably hash as well somewhere in there. If it doesn't match, it'll upload that copy. FLAC, WAV, Ogg, etc. will be converted to MP3 and streamed as normal.

When you download it again, it'll download your exact copy, so uploading a shitty 100k VBR you found somewhere hoping you'll get a high quality 320k won't work.

Could you put zips in the metadata on like webm audio

The question is, how long is this gonna last? I'm afraid of wasting my time uploading dozens of albums just to get a notice that the free service is gonna end soon.

Also, is there any catch like only being able to play them randomly, or are all playback options working for you with a free account and custom uploads?

Attached: old-man-on-computer.jpg (1000x667, 683K)

change the magic number and the extension to .mp3?

>trusting cloud services and proprietary software
Do what you must, but you'll only have yourself to blame.

You can get unlimited storage for $10/month with gsuite, they probably have the spare capacity for now but will kill it if it gets abused too much.

If you have some spare server hardware for me to run my own thing from home, I'm open to donations

Only 1tb unless you pay for 5 users..

Surely if you upload the same song as someone else they just serve you the same data rather than storing it twice? It would be a hell of a lot more affordable for them in such a case.

>He can only upload 50,000 songs and not 100,000
Pleb

Attached: 2019-02-22_183943.png (654x255, 9K)

That's what they say but it's actually unlimited even with one user

Do Youtube Music subscribers get access to the songs they've uploaded to Google Play? Is Youtube Music gonna kill it permanently or not?

They're separate services. No one but insiders know if it will be kill.

>The question is, how long is this gonna last?
Been going strong for 7 years.
>is there any catch like only being able to play them randomly
Nope
>are all playback options working for you with a free account and custom uploads?
Yes, Yes, Yes

I wish my shit still has skips in it from the CD's in 2001

I actually had a paid account last year for some months, and lost my (few) uploads when I canceled it. They weren't available for free users in my country. If they were, I wouldn't have subscribed in first place.

The upload program ("Music Manager") is very simple. I doubt that it calculates /compares hashes. If Google PLay does that, it must first upload everything to check the files on the server-side... So much for efficiency.