/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 25024848_163809351046845_4390491904148504576_n.jpg (1080x1080, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
youtube.com/watch?v=d-JBBNg8YKs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone who still uses their PC's SPDIF/TOSLINK output for surround sound via Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect: Is there noticeable latency?
It makes sense that the encoding takes time and I can find some forum threads where people complain about it, but I'm not sure whether it's still an issue with modern equipment (I would be using the onboard of a recent Realtek mobo).

I know the modern way to do this is uncompressed multichannel HDMI audio, but there are a few complications in my case so a simple optical cable would be nice.

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomers. And what they say is true, they have no soundstage.

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Attached: How STAX is marketed.png (697x929, 971K)

This is SFW board

Do audio interfaces with USB and SPDIF inputs allow for mixing them, or are SPDIFs for something else? I want to connect two PCs to one headphones (and speakers maybe).
I'm the guy from previous thread

I was so distracted by his nipples that I didn't realize he's not wearing headphones

Based and Objectivepilled

Attached: weak should fear strong 2.jpg (720x818, 84K)

No way is this true?

He's wearing earpods under that long and beautiful hair

How do we solve the Anime problem in the headphone community?

Attached: 1525345452312.jpg (500x333, 38K)

it's not. his videos were banned from Jow Forumsheadphones because they are amazon referral farms

Enact the final solution policy.

>my 2d representation is better than your 2d representation

>his videos were banned from Jow Forumsheadphones because they are amazon referral farms
Does he say he is making money on his amazon links? Isn't that not allowed?

There's a fucking hair stuck in the driver of my hd6xx's
and its stuck in there like fucking glue I've tried sucking it out and blowing it out
nothing works and while i could disassemble it the tabs holding the driver are so fucking fragile i would rather have weird bass than breaking the tabs
what do

Attached: ef.jpg (415x415, 32K)

I mean airpods

>Does he say he is making money on his amazon links?
yes
>Isn't that not allowed?
paid advertisement on youtube is not allowed without specifying you are being paid for your review. amazon link farms are not allowed on the subreddit.

My goal is very similar to yours, with the added complication that I want surround sound. Do both PCs have native SPDIF out (or are you happy to buy cheapo USB SPDIF adapters for them)? If so, what about something like this?

Caveat: This would only work with audio from one PC at once. If you truly want to MIX the audio and hear both at the same time, optical isn't the way to go.

Attached: possible_setup.png (800x600, 28K)

should've bought stax

Post pics

That makes no sense. Tons of other headphone reviewers put amazon referer links in and they don't get banned.

That isn't even against Reddit rules.

What is against Reddit rules is suing multiple accounts to manipulate votes and make STAX look popular and desired, to incite this desire for blind purchasing, and that's what is against Reddit rules.

Attached: Reddit stay for the empathy.png (643x111, 66K)

I specifically said subreddit, not reddit

Literal dust destroys STAX. That's why you need to keep them under a plastic cover lulz

>excuse me, stax owner coming through

Attached: 1544636381125.gif (400x373, 2.54M)

I described it a bit wider in the previous thread , all of my posts are by the same time.
As for what you proposed, doesn't you dac have multiple inputs? Mine can do usb or spdif. It'd be even more simple that way.

Nowhere on Jow Forumsheadphones is having Amazon links in your Youtube videos forbidden. Stop making shit up all their rules are literally in the sidebar.

He got banned for using multiple accounts, for shilling STAX to Redditors by creating multiple personalities/alts and then using them to confirm his narrative that STAX is "endgame".

He is paid by Edifier to shill STAX, he's basically the perfect spokersperson for STAX since since audience is mostly loser weebs.

Attached: Stax Incel 2.jpg (2048x1536, 275K)

Reposting request.

I need headphones for travel and commute. Not noise-cancelling.

Price - up to 500USD, can go a couple of hundred higher if there's a definite upgrade.
AMP isn't a concern.

Bassy with a punch + hueg soundstage+emotion (non-neutral is the right term?)

Stax fags absolutely BTFO

Attached: mfw - girls laughing.jpg (700x467, 66K)

>Nowhere on Jow Forumsheadphones is having Amazon links in your Youtube videos forbidden
rule #4
>We do not allow: affiliate links, links to affiliate farms, pirated content, NSFW/NSFL content, market research, surveys, sweepstakes, giveaways, spam or self promotion.

>same time
same name
I guess it's getting late and I'm slowly falling asleep...

stax + eq

>dac have multiple inputs
It actually doesn't. If yours does, what does the manual say about switching between them? Can you clarify whether you want to hear audio from both machines at once (e.g. discord on one, game on another), or do you want it to auto-switch based on whichever one is making sound at the moment, or do you want to manually choose the current source?

Linking to a video where you have a Amazon link isn't the same spamming affiliate links in the actual posts.

moderators stated that was the reason for the ban. i'm sorry but your bullshit isn't going to stick

>Bassy with a punch + hueg soundstage+emotion (non-neutral is the right term?)

Get a LCD2C or a Hifiman Ananda, you should be able to find them used for around 500-600.

If you want a new one, get the Fostex TX-00 Ebony, its 520 on Massdrop but can get them used for around 400.

Attached: STAX vs Audeze and Hifiman.png (859x467, 87K)

Nice try Zeos.

Attached: Zeos La Creatura.jpg (385x385, 21K)

>manually choose the current source
this one, it has a switch on the front panel OPT/COAX/USB
>e.g. discord on one, game on another
kinda dumb example as both are non-free software, but yeah, something like that. I want to be able to hear both at once. The multiple-input dac is just my proposal to what you posted in here , unless you want it to switch automatically / hear both at once.

Is the OP of /sqt/ trying to take over other generals?

stax are better than that crap

MODS

Right, sorry. I think I got confused between your question, and your answer to mine.
If you want to hear audio from both systems then at some point it has to be mixed.

Pic related is my new suggestion for you.

Attached: possible_setup_2.png (800x506, 79K)

i can't wait for someone to fall for the chinkfiman shill so we can laugh when his $2000 headphones fall apart

Objectively, they aren't. Try again shill, your employers aren't going to sell anymore STAX.

Thanks, man.
Audeze are planars aren't they?
Do they retain the punch of dynamics?
From what I've read the dynamics' wobbling around makes them different from planars? Is that bullshit?

i have some 712 annie pads, that are getting old, are the chink ebay ones the same shit or should i pay the shekels for the annie

At least Hifiman isn't as chinkshit as Stax, to be fair.

Attached: Stax build quality.png (734x448, 83K)

uh lol okay stax are clearly better

Based and redpilled. You need to post the next OP. And the op after that. You're now the official OP. keep this up.

They are objectively inferior.

Attached: STAX ROFL.png (1558x473, 260K)

audeze sound worse than stax

haven't been here for a month, what's new lads?

Attached: IMG_20190223_020505.jpg (3448x2655, 1.65M)

wtf I just bought the lcd2c and the driver popped what do I do

do this faget

Attached: silenceisgolden.jpg (881x1386, 257K)

the mental illness has gotten worse
buy stax

post setup and we may believe you're not a stax incel smearing the competition

just demo hifiman ananda, sound like shit compared to shp9500

Yeah, that's what I came up with except there are 2 problems:
1) Mixer should be after the amp, which gives 2 amps as well which totals as 5 devices. That's far from comfy, especially the part where you want to adjust volume / mute one of the pcs.
2) I would also love to get a better mic with a dedicated pre-amp or whatever it's called, so here we go with 6 devices.
This is why I started looking into audio interfaces, the problem is I have about no clue about those. Can one of them do all of it? It would also be great if I could connect everything both to headphones and speakers and toggle between them as needed, or even set PC1 to headphones and PC2 to speakers, etc, etc.
I would like the audio quality of both to be at least decent; currently very happy with my D30 + O2 + HD600 combo. I'm yet to purchase a speakers set, but maybe it'll happen in the future.
Price is not a major concern, but I don't feel like falling for audiophile memes and spending thousands of dollars. Actually, fuck the price - does such device even exist?

>shp9500
worst headphone in the world

>Mixer should be after the amp
Forgive my ignorance, but why? Can't you mix at line-level and amp the result?

Dynamics are more "punchy" than planars simply because the moving driver is more concentrated and smaller, but planars have better extension. Some of the better ones are basically ruler flat down to 10hz.

If you're looking for maximum punch then try some of the Fostex dynamics, they are fun but can give you a headache lol.

Also don't get STAX, they literally have no bass.

Attached: STAX vs cheap beyer cans.gif (1043x805, 135K)

no that's lcd2c my driver just popped, what a joke

Stop samefagging stax fag

Attached: LMFAO at Stax.png (697x422, 45K)

You can, it's just that the results will be worse. I guess? Well, I read that today on the internet, if someone has some more input on the topic I'd be happy to hear it.

lol staxincel sure

Beta Dog = STAX

Alpha Dog = All other headphones

Girl Dog = Audio listeners

Attached: mfw feels beta dog Reddit.jpg (713x960, 78K)

Me in the back

nostaxers seething 24/7 kek, staxchads living in their heads rent free

Attached: 1534706135245.png (701x668, 78K)

Ooooh thanks I knew it was probably just more snake oil, but this highlight it perfectly.

We learn something knew every day. So this is why there's no high end audio shop demonstrating those headphones. They don't want to deal with angry returning customers!

I would like some sound speakers for my bedroom

I have never owned sound speakers before, merely relying on headphones

The context is listening to DND podcasts while I use my gym in my bedroom

Budget is between $50-150

What do you reccomend, anons?

Attached: IMG_20180928_161744.jpg (1722x1291, 774K)

Edifier makes good budget speakers and good TOTL headphones.

It's not me. /hpg/ OP is based though.

I'm not familiar with the terms, sorry. What does extension mean? Like, they are capable of reproducing lower frequencies with the same volume?

Fuck off chinkshit shill. Go back to the Zeos comment section.

Who else CAN'T AFFORD Stax? Makes me furious

What's wrong with Zeos?

I'm rich as fuck and I think STAX are shit. Poor build and comfort. Garbage tinny sound.

Give me an HD800S any day of the week.

wow user, you cannot post naked loli on Jow Forums !

>loli

Based and objectivepilled.

Doing god's work user.

>get notreble 500lb weights
>get chinkfiman
no

>Dynamics are more "punchy" than planars simply because the moving driver is more concentrated and smaller
I really think this is nonsense that comes about from people imagining things based on conceptions of how the technology should work and the word "dynamic." It's the same kind of thing as "attack" and "speed".

>didn't study acoustics

>publicly opines on acoustics

About to buy a pair of RHA MA350 what am I in for?

Pretty much, and we already know that the FR itself is the most important factor in perceiving sound, the driver type doesn't matter, more like each headphone should be judged based on its unique sound.

Been looking into getting a decent set of over ear open back headphones for a few weeks now as I'm tired of my current gayman headset. So far I've narrowed it down to the following pairs.

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros ~$600

AKG K712 Pro ~$330

Focal Elear ~$630

Hifiman HE5se ~$700

I'm leaning more towards the Hifimans, but I'm not 100% sure yet.I will most likely just be plugging these straight into my PC, but I'm not averse to getting an amp if I really need to. I'm assuming I'd most likely only REALLY need one for the DT 1990's anyways.

Anyone have any experience with any of these sets?

Attached: HiFiMAN-RMAF-8936.jpg (800x600, 424K)

>Hifiman HE5se
Not sure about you but I tried the HE6se and it was disappointing to me. DT 1990 as well. Elear sounded nice but it didn't amaze me in any aspect. DT 1990 reminded me pretty similar to the DT 990 sound signature. I never tried the K712 but supposedly its a wide soundstage headphone with decent bass. The hardest one to drive is the HE5SE>K712>DT1990>Elear. I can get by with my computer audio on DT 1990. Never tried the other two above though.

What a handsome man

Is Sicko Mode terribly mixed or something?
when drake says "Sun is down" it just sounds awwwful.
youtube.com/watch?v=d-JBBNg8YKs
does it sound really sibilant to you
?

Don't buy anything without trying a pair first. All of those headphones have quite significant flaws that could potentially be game breaking. Also try stax too, unless you want the audio journey instead of heading straight to endgame.

meant deal breaking what the hell

Stax is just too much of a bother. Separate amp, flimsy build and the need to seal (if we're talking budget stax) out of the box.

Wouldn't advise it to anybody who just wants good cans with little fuss.

A lot of people think the same thing until they try a pair. Or they turn into butthurt shitposters and spam disinfo on /hpg/ all day long.

breaking news: mainstream nigger music is awfully mixed

Drake is a bit too sibilant but it ain't all that bad

meant try HD600 too, avoid Stax desu

Strongly consider stax. There is a reason why /hpg/ is constantly shitposting about it.

>stax
No bass.

what are you looking for the headphone to do anyway? gaming, bassy songs, or weeb music?

Stax have perfect, accurate and neutral linear bass.

i bought airpods.