This whole board is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about programming or computer science but...

This whole board is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about programming or computer science but like to scream at eachother about how their opinions are invalid because they use apple products/windows/google/a distro that they personally don't like for whatever reason. You are all so caught up in a conspiracy of some "botnet" that you think is out to get you when in reality barely any of it is anywhere near as horrific as you like to think it is and will never actually affect you or the rest of the world. People here who claim to be a superintelligent scholar on all things linux/gnu are all really just slapping together a few custom packages they found, adding a cringe anime loli wallpaper, and then claiming to be above everyone else. Linux is shit and will never be able to support mainstream hardware/software. It has had over 2 decades of constant development to reach this point but has amazingly never actually managed to. The year of the linux desktop will never happen. Linux is a server OS. No one cares that it's actually GNU. You would all be better off buying iPhones/Samsungs/Google Pixels and using Mac/Windows, but you're so obsessed with the concept of rising above all the NPC normies that you disregard practicality and functionality in favour of "being unique", "having maximum customisation".

>inb4 normie
>inb4 reddit
>inb4 seething
>inb4 jewish
>inb4 botnet
>inb4 kill yourself
>inb4 pajeet
>inb4 /thread
>inb4 lurk more

Attached: 1550843270922.jpg (670x670, 37K)

And meta-threads.

>inb4 (all)

Holy wall of text. Use some line breaks next time.

Attached: 1487402978308.gif (225x324, 3.36M)

cope

But then I'd get yelled at for "reddit spacing".

oke
what now?

Attached: 9525c5ff.jpg (1314x909, 83K)

>tfw OP can't install Ubuntu and got upset

Obviously you use the proper OS for the tools you need. You just throw up windows or mac in KVM with native performance if there's no replacement

OP can't inb4

Cute!!!

Attached: 1550838346280.jpg (300x265, 18K)

>taking 4ch seriously

Did you expect to debate intelligent 40 year old wealthy successful males here?

I was expecting at least a fraction of actual sanity and intelligence from a board that's centred over technology. I didn't think there'd be so many x and pol level idiots here

Unironically Jow Forums is the worst board on Jow Forums except maybe /jp/

>People on Jow Forums are just idiots screaming their opinions at each other
>AND THATS WHY LINUX IS SHIT REEEE
You had a good point but then you just turned into a retarded hypocrite.

Degenerate

Not hypocritical. Everyone on Jow Forums -- very likely including you -- has some sort of unfounded rage and hatred towards Microsoft/Apple products, all of which are objectively better than Linux

Honestly you have a point OP, everything here has a tendency to be way overblown. Yes data is collected for revenue but no it's not an omnipotent botnet. Linux itself is an acceptable choice for various reasons but the i3 arch rices are just ego stroking and wanting to fit in with the cool kids. And so on. Besides, it's Jow Forums, what do you expect, anime and contrarianism has been part of the culture since the beginning.

Ye, Linux is a server OS, which is why its kernel is shoved into the majority of mobile devices.

tl;dr

Attached: 1548225476138.jpg (900x1200, 156K)

Ok?
So you making half a post complaining about it then the other half letting out your own unfounded rage is what makes it hypocritical.

Although Android is based on Linux's kernel code, it's modified enough for it to count as a seperate entity to Linux.

Is this the new 'Linux is hard' cope thread?

Attached: 541d3b03400a1897522259205244d3f6.jpg (400x500, 114K)

>t. mactoddler

Not unfounded because:
>Linux can't run any high-end professional grade software like Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut, Vegas etc (inb4 use shitty open source alternatives to those)
>Linux can't run PC games (yes i know proton, but it's still in its infancy and supports a limited number of games + it seems that they're building compatibility for games one by one, which is never going to be able to keep up with the amount of pc games out there and the rate at which they come out)
>Linux is far harder to manage and prone to breaking than Windows or macOS
>Linux doesn't and will never have native support for a lot of drivers
>Linux is not seen as a priority by any developers and developing for Linux is often far harder than developing for Windows/Mac

Preferring Linux to Windows or macOS is illogical.

Attached: 0a1.jpg (643x820, 80K)

Why does it matter to you?
It's not like this is the only place to talk about tech on the internet

lol no
that depends, older hardware is sometimes easier to set up in Linux
>Linux can't run any high-end professional grade software
this argument comes up way too frequently in proportion to the amount of people who actually use the software in question
>gaymes
meh, those work decently enough unless you have to deal with some slapdash shit with multiple executables going sideways or whatever

>Linux is a server OS.
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Attached: 1468781489892.jpg (2488x1657, 1.38M)

I don't think it's unreasonable to feel mad when you see a bunch of screaming idiots who act like they're hot shit for going against the grain with their loonix setups and open source alternative software while simulatenously violently rejecting any counter to the groupthink mindset of "windows bad, apple bad, data collection bad"

>This whole board is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about programming or computer science but like to scream at eachother about how their opinions are invalid because they use apple products/windows/google/a distro that they personally don't like for whatever reason.
Pretty much.

You sound mad though.

Attached: 1547644936019.jpg (678x519, 39K)

No Jow Forums is best

>can't run any high-end professional grade software like Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut, Vegas etc
There are professions outside of design and marketing. Ofc there are some things which are better/easier in for example Photoshop but 90% of the shitty web ads done in it could be done in MS Paint.

>muh games
VM with GPU Passthough

Linux based network devices and servers run 24/7 for months or even years. MacOS is still pretty good but windows is broken piece of shit.

>no drivers
What is this? 2005? The only drivers I've had problems with were for shitty USB adapters on ebay.

>Linux is not seen as a priority by any developers
Probably true for any consumer focused GUI APP. But as soon as it includes any online functionality it's probably talking to some linux backend.

>developing for Linux is often far harder than developing for Windows/Mac
The simple fact that both of those lack a proper package manger makes developing for/on them a way bigger pain in the ass.

It is. Being angry over someone's opinion is stupid. You are lashing your held in anger over an anonymouse image board. May peace find you.

>There are professions outside of design and marketing
If Linux ever wants to take over Windows or Mac then it has to be a jack of all trades. Coping with the lack of software support by saying "it's not THAT important" is not an option.

>VM with GPU passthrough
It's telling how your answer to a Linux-specific problem I brought up is literally not using Linux.

>Linux based devices and network servers run 24/7 for months or even years.
My point was that if you're trying to customise Linux with packages, or do complex actions via the terminal, then it's easy to fuck up if you don't know what you're doing.

>Windows is a buggy piece of shit
lmao no
where the fuck did you get that from

that's exactly true, I'm a 11+ years of experience lead dev and I just lurk on Jow Forums for news, any other thread is useless trash fed by NEETS who have no clue around IT "insides" or programming besides stupid uni excercies codewars-style

I get that being angry about someone's shit mindset and unfounded beliefs on Jow Forums is pointless at the end of the day, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to at least try to bring some sanity and reason into loonix people's heads + I don't actually have anything better to do with my time anyway. If you're not fine with the concept of being mad over people's opinions, maybe you should wish peace upon the screeching Jow Forumsentoomen that inhabit this place.

>If Linux ever wants to take over Windows or Mac then it has to be a jack of all trades
What would be the point of that? Windows being riddled with legacy shit and random proprietary stuff is a weak point just as it is a strong one.

Fellow sanity? On Jow Forums??? Never thought I'd see the day.

>If Linux ever wants to take over Windows or Mac
Idk if you're the same guy but I'm not trying to argue why Linux should be more user or popular. I'm trying to say that saying "Linux is shit" is just as dumb as saying "Microsoft/Apple is shit".
And ok, games don't really work.

However,
>it's easy to fuck up if you don't know what you're doing
I don't think this is a good argument, because 1. There are distros like Ubuntu where you don't have to touch a terminal unless you want to. And 2. The only thing keeping you from getting pwned on windows is clicking "Run" on the wrong executable, which people who don't know what their doing fuck up all the time.

>where the fuck did you get that from
My job in IT. Just last week I had to deal with some bullshit from MS Office. Every Windows PC was claiming that there is a problem with your office account when opening any office app. All licenses and accounts for both macs and PCs are managed the same way. Only Windows had this problem.

I don't see you doing any better.

we're here OP, just lurking and trying avoiding the neets fighting around apple vs microsoft who really thinks gentoo is a usable productive distro

Why, there are no screeching Jow Forumsentoomen. There are advocates for Libre sofrware, M$, Aplol, Windooze, iMacOs, Gnu slash Loonix etc. Rarely is it that someone gets genuinely angry, or perhaps I need to come around more often? During my European timezones, I usually see just irony. Besides, if fellow posters like arguing about technology, I don't see a problem. People who do get genuinely angry should find peace too. We are all the one and the same.

I'm an IT pro who feels the perversion of browsing Jow Forums sometimes. It's retard central.

based

Reddit spacing is unnecessary use of double line breaks, when a single line break would suffice, like did. I guess it could better be called Markdown spacing.

same here, it's 80% console-wars-like threads, 10% chink or poor ass tech alternatives 9,99% pedos trying to cover their data leakage paranoia and 0,01% of news before reddit

Enter the game that is subjective usefulness
>>Linux can't run any high-end professional grade software like Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut, Vegas etc (inb4 use shitty open source alternatives to those)
What if I'm not working in any media-related business?
>>Linux can't run PC games (yes i know proton, but it's still in its infancy and supports a limited number of games + it seems that they're building compatibility for games one by one, which is never going to be able to keep up with the amount of pc games out there and the rate at which they come out)
At most I'd play minesweeper, which there are good clones of.
>>Linux is far harder to manage and prone to breaking than Windows or macOS
I'm familiar with the intricacies and I find working with a package management system and systemd far easier than manually managing software updates and launchd/Services trash. OSTree is godlike.
>>Linux doesn't and will never have native support for a lot of drivers
For the hardware I use, Linux works much better. I never had to install any additional drivers. It all just werked, including the TPM and TB3 with user-approval security.
>>Linux is not seen as a priority by any developers and developing for Linux is often far harder than developing for Windows/Mac
I work on enterprise server software.
My point is even though this supposed hobbyist OS may not work for you, it certainly does so for others. It's not illogical to use loonix. It's just illogical for YOU.

Not sure how exactly you see things around here but to me spamming "botnet", "cope", "pajeet" at anyone who deviates from the groupthink mindset that linux is better to me seems pretty damn insecure and angry.

>Linux can't run any high-end professional grade software like x video editors
True.
>Linux can't run PC games
True. about 40% of my steam library (1100+ games) requires wine to play.
I think the exact opposite. My uptime is almost 2 years now. I couldnt say the same for forced restarts on windows, with rare (depending on hardware) bugged maintenance process, some of which are just because of their poor choice for a file system. Or an update flat out fails and forces a restore.
"a lot of drivers"?
>Linux is not seen as a priority by any developers and developing for Linux is often far harder than developing for Windows/Mac
If by any developers you mean game developers or adobe, sure. They dont feel the need given tools such as wine exist, and that the majority of adobes sales are businesses that grew up on windows.
>Preferring Linux to Windows or macOS is illogical.
So far video games and listed main stream media production software is your listed reasoning. Other than not having "a lot of drivers" that linux systems seem to miraciously work without.

What about having an OS that works on any hardware regardless of its specifications, thats completely free, yields the security benefits of being open source, designed for stability, customization of everything without requiring it, supports all the software and API's I need, many of which are ported to windows with less features or a bottleneck, with a low maintenance file system and supports groups+permissions for further security.

Why should I switch and pay $100-$200 for advertisements, telementry, and dumb maintenance processes in my os while risking that my OS could break from a bad installation like all the dailies that show up in the microsoft discord asking why their desktop is suddenly empty and nothing opens. Because im an elitist if I dont?

Attached: 3729374.jpg (640x640, 56K)

Any chance of a simplified version of this shit?
Too lazy man.

I think it's hilarious that any time anyone mentions being an IT professional, the 2nd year CS students come out in force to tell you how IT is a bullshit career and requires no thought or skill.
Then, you open up Jow Forums in another tab, and the first thread is that same demographic jerking themselves off about "FizzBuzz". An exercise that any half-decent sysadmin could solve with minimal effort.

This post basically sums it up.

>AMD BTFO!!!1!
>INTELFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>Why would anyone use Windows
>Why would anyone use Linux
>Apple is gay
>Can the FBI catch me browsing Computer Parts if I use a VPN and TOR and TAILS?
>I'm a freshman in CS, you're just jealous I'm going to be making $250k in 4 years
>Sexism General

>I think the exact opposite. My uptime is almost 2 years now, can't say the same for Windows because forced restarts. Or an update fails and forces a restore.
If you disable/ignore updates (admittedly more plausible on windows 7 or 8.1) then you can in theory keep windows running for as long as you want. Tbh never used macOS but I'm pretty sure it doesn't force restarts or updates.

>If by developers you mean games and adobe, then sure. They don't feel the need since tools like wine exist
Um... no. Last time I checked Wine can not run Adobe software, nor any other high maintenance apps. They don't feel it neccessary to make apps for Linux because the user base is tiny and the ecosystem is scattered.

>"a lot of drivers"?
Although opensource drivers which come with linux are enough for most tasks, propietary graphics card drivers will be neccessary if you want to be able to use your GPU in linux. These are often not made specifically to be compatibile with linux due to the same reason Adobe doesn't make software for linux.

>Other than not having drivers which linux seems to work miraculously without.
Never said that Linux or any OS would be rendered unusable by a lack of driver compatibility, just that your experience will be hindered and not at all ideal.

>Why would I want to pay $100 - $200 for ads, telemetry
I'll admit that windows is shitty for this. macOS doesn't have ads or telemetry last time I checked.

nice try nsa

On 4channel, such behaviour is a norm and ironic. Nobody here feels anything. You just write out a text, include some buzzwords, add Indian names and you laugh.

How long did it for you to realize this op?

Attached: 0a1.jpg (643x820, 60K)

>long wall of text
Go back

Keep using Apple products and keep posting on Reddit you dumb nigger and
>inb4 kys
Obligatory KYS SCRUB

> neckbeards screaming
based and red-pilled. i can't stand any of the daily fucking threads where autists screech over how irrelevant C is becoming, when they haven't ever programmed before or have 3 mins experience with Python.
> linux will never be gud
fucking brainlet. linux runs literally everything electronic device in your life with the exception of your desktop (unless you browse Jow Forums kek). it's cousins also run bite-mark's fashion accessories. even M$ have been moving their cloud platforms over to linux since Hyper-V is cancer. will linux ever replace Windows on the desktop? hard to say. if it does, it'll take a very long time. but, arguing that it's irrelevant, only a server OS, and will never be supported is the kind of brain damage i've come to expect from Jow Forums.

macOS *does* have telem now

You're right, user. There is rarely any good discussion on Jow Forums. It's mostly "my opinion is better than your opinion, you [insert expletive]," or "I know everything because [insert anecdote here]."

I only come here because I can _occasionally_ come across interesting tech stuff. Go ahead and make fun of me for my opinion, as well as my use of markdown.

>This whole board is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about programming or computer science but like to scream at eachother about how their opinions are invalid

Just like every CS department.

Lel, in the second part of your post you did the exact thing you complained about in the first part of your post.

this board isn't for pro/g/ramming or technolo/g/y, it's only for brandfa/g/gotry

>This whole board is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about programming or computer science but like to scream at eachother about how their opinions are invalid because they use apple products/windows/google/a distro that they personally don't like for whatever reason. You are all so caught up in a conspiracy of some "botnet" that you think is out to get you when in reality barely any of it is anywhere near as horrific as you like to think it is and will never actually affect you or the rest of the world. People here who claim to be a superintelligent scholar on all things linux/gnu are all really just slapping together a few custom packages they found, adding a cringe anime loli wallpaper, and then claiming to be above everyone else.
base-
>Linux is shit and will never be able to support mainstream hardware/software. It has had over 2 decades of constant development to reach this point but has amazingly never actually managed to. The year of the linux desktop will never happen. Linux is a server OS. No one cares that it's actually GNU. You would all be better off buying iPhones/Samsungs/Google Pixels and using Mac/Windows, but you're so obsessed with the concept of rising above all the NPC normies that you disregard practicality and functionality in favour of "being unique", "having maximum customisation".
wew, kill yourself toddler

Your thread will be a wave of complaint posts filtered within 8 hours. At best you'll get 24 hours of recognition. In 3 days 50% of the user would have not seen it. Less than 10% in two weeks.

Why waste so much effort?

I use Linux because I like it, I don't give two fucks about privacy. I even use pretty much all of Google services.
I just don't like windows and can't justify giving my money to Apple.

Attached: 1550352800621.jpg (2272x1704, 551K)

>I only come here because
EL OH EL user, you come here because you love to hate. Come on, confess, I do it too.

...you serious?

>This whole site is just a bunch of neckbeards who don't actually know shit about X or Y but like to scream at eachother about how their opinions are invalid because they use/like thing
Welcome to Jow Forums

Itt: reddit

It probably took him 10 minutes to write it and it was a way to vent.
Not everything has to be a profound impactful statement.

I didn't think there'd be so many x and pol level idiots here
Why did you think that there wouldn't be a lot of Jow Forums and /x/ people here? The tech industry has had diversity and multiculturalism crammed down is throat for the past two decades with nothing to show for it other than a bunch of niggers and women who can't even write fizzbuzz getting paid to call themselves 'software engineers' when really all they do is look at CSS and HTML shit. Obviously, the logical question is why the fuck the big push for all this shit? And so we're into /x/ territory suddenly? Not only that, but the NSA has been caught many times doing some shady shit, as has Google and other tech companies. Why is it that people like you are practically chomping at the bit to lick some corporate boots?

Honestly, for the laundry list of dumb shit Jow Forums does, they're one of the boards with the most well founded hatred and conspiracy theories.

>Then, you open up Jow Forums in another tab, and the first thread is that same demographic jerking themselves off about "FizzBuzz". An exercise that any half-decent sysadmin could solve with minimal effort.
How fucking new are you? That's exactly the point of the FizzBuzz threads you fucking idiot.

>You are all so caught up in a conspiracy of some "botnet" that you think is out to get you when in reality barely any of it is anywhere near as horrific as you like to think it is and will never actually affect you or the rest of the world.

Right wing opinions are already being censored all over social media.

Wow that's one angry wintoddler right there.