Attached: hsg.jpg (1277x1029, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/pB3hpChS
discord.gg/GTXXrpC
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Join the discord to see craftylorker's newest gadgets

Hey, that's me!

Attached: uwu.png (777x543, 498K)

i used to care about setting up the coolest home server and automating everything but then i stopped caring and just copy stuff to a usb when i want to watch a movie or something. its not like it works for my current lifestyle very well. i did set up my home network decently though

How is adding an extra "copy stuff to USB" step ever easier than just skipping directly to "play stuff off the NAS" (rather than "play stuff off USB")?

Did you just not set up an useful network connection to where you actually watch your stuff?

i did, and i can do that, but i weighed up how often i do this stuff vs energy usage (in aus) and decided against leaving it running all the time.

NAS usage is nothing. Don't buy a server hardware but something like T-series Intel CPUs. Best of both worlds.

>T-series
get out

jokes aside, i know, i actually ran most my stuff off my desktop, which in lower power mode didnt draw a whole lot of power, still there were several other reasons why including heat and noise. i actually ran a nas hdd off a phone at one point and found it worked pretty well, and even just plugged straight into the router. but still i found myself most of the time at my desktop, as it has the best setup imo.

god i wish that were me

me 3th from the right

I use one of these beauties as a NAS and domain controller running Windows Server 2016. Separately I have a NUC6i7KYK running Hyper-V with VMs for Plex, secondary domain controller, and occasional labs. Did install a Matrix server recently, but didn’t see the point in keeping it running.

Attached: A48D0B13-0DCF-4D4C-AAA8-FE473633CDF2.jpg (1280x1233, 199K)

sauce?

Momoyuri Gakuen - Himitsu no Soap-bu R _ The Momoyuri Academy Secret Soapland Club R

Does anyone work for Dell and is willing to take a bribe to release the current ownership information for a service tag?

I bought an enclosure off ebay which still has warranty according to the service tag but the seller isn't willing to provide ownership information for me to transfer it for whatever reason.

I am attempting to go through official channels right now but in the off chance that it takes ages and they don't do it, it would just be easier if I had the info so I could do it myself.

If you can do this please leave some contact info for me to get in touch with, thanks.

dl360 g6 - 2x e5504, 48gb, 1tb ssd, small mech array
>esxi host
>sonarr, radarr, nzbget, kodi-headless, emby, mariadb containers
>movie transcoding vm - periodically scans nas for videos encoded with problematic codecs, excessive bitrate/resolution etc, transcodes, overwrites
>zentyal vm used for mx, vpn, dns, dhcp
>sheepit renderer vm
>backup vm - ssh's into everything on the network, rsyncs the filesystem over to a local btrfs volume per host and snapshots it
>tons of windows vms (exchange, dc, veeam plus labs) which i migrated away from but keep hold of just in case

ivybridge i5, 16gb, 42tb raw mech, 2x cheap ssds for cache
>freenas
>that's it

anyone got any experience with ovh or any other cheap vps provider? did you have any problems with them?

uh, "sever" is a bit of an overstatement for what I have, but I have a separate machine running 24/7 for the purpose of network connectivity
it's an old hp thinclient I got dirt cheap, with a dualcore processor and 2 gigs of ram, I've replaced the flash drive with a hdd (although in retrospect it wasn't really necessary, running the linunx out of pendrive doesn't change much at this level of performance)
because it's always on I can use it to "wake on lan" my main PC and then teamviewer/nomachine/steamlink into it, it also serves as an exit point of an vpn made with zerotier one if I ever need it

also I tired using it for torrents, with a virtual machine ran on it using a commercial vpn, but the performance was abysmal so I gave up on that and used an old laptop instead

Attached: wtf11.png (400x400, 6K)

i dont think anyone is going to risk their job for a stranger user.

I'm planning to build a pfsense box to loadbalance two 500/500mbit connections, with a LTE failover if both connections fail.
Should I go dedicated hardware or setup a VM host and just run pfsense as a VM along other VMs?

it's not really that much of a risk. i mean there's virtually zero risk. the only risk is if the guy is paranoid enough to think that some random colleague from dell would also be posting in the thread trying to find people to fire for stuff like that. super unlikely imo. i just want the ownership on the hardware that i own...

i know a guy who sells me really really cheap iDRAC licenses but he can't get me the info because he doesn't work in that side anymore

AWS is my home server faggit

lol, fucking gay, KYS

>Hyper-V

why specifically did you choose aws?

You can even WOL your NAS and shut it down every day at 12PM or whatever.

And the power usage of a decent SBC NAS is like 5W+drive power when running at load. You can't download or transfer data to USB on your desktop machine any easier, never mind the playback device [which could be that NAS HTPC thing] attached to your display probably won't consume less power anyhow.

you overestimate the amount of movies i download with intent to watch on my tv. most people in my household end up using the chromecast exclusively for streaming services.

Because there's shitloads of companies to wagecuck if you're a dev with deep AWS knowledge. Not that they're any better than gcp, ans are at least two times more expensive. Probably not the answer you were looking for tho.

nah that's what i expected tbqh. this is the /v/ overflow board after all.

Two home server threads in two days. So based. An user in the last thread mentioned loli.safe - I checked it out and it looks pretty good desu. Something I could use. Spun up a VM and got it running, but when I try to get the file, its like its not there. The file is there, but nginx (or apache, tried both) won't serve it. Any ideas? I'm a brainlet when it comes to node.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 8.56.09 AM.png (1450x858, 65K)

>Transcoding vm
Can you provide details on your transcoding VM? I have a pair of 2690s just waiting for something to do and this sounds like a useful service to run. How do you search for "problematic codecs"?
>Freenas on non-ECC
Ever run into issues with non-ECC ram screwing your zpool(s)? I've got 40TB on my ZFS box - what're you using for backups?

>anyone got any experience with ovh or any other cheap vps provider? did you have any problems with them?
I use ramhost for a simple ridiculously cheap vps ($14/year) to use as a reverse-ssh aggregator to get into my boxes at work and places behind a firewall. I've been using them for 7+ years without any noticeable downtime. Worth every penny

Ah. So you've allowed your family to embrace the botnet. Hope you have some good vlans setup between you and the sheep you share a house with. gl user

It's calling an internal IP you brainlet

There's a ryzen 3 shaped hole in my server-space.

I'm accessing it internally first before putting it on the net.

Basic network diagnosis 101:
On server, run netstat -antpu to see if anything's even listening
On other computer, nmap -p
to see if it's open from your end.

They look like they fuck black guys

>Hyper-V
t. neet living in moms basement

>transcoding
i use mediainfo, output to xml and parse with xpath. full script is here: pastebin.com/pB3hpChS
>non-ecc
i've been running that freenas box for maybe 5-6 years and i've not come across any issues so far, although i know it's not ideal
>backups
my budget doesn't stretch that far sadly. my important docs and licences are manually backed up to (((google))) drive and the rest of it is mainly movies and shows which can be re-downloaded if it comes to it.

they don't seem to be offering that package any more so i've decided to test ovh's £3.59 ($4.69)/month 1 core/2gb/20gb vps.

I have issue with the G8's not being UEFI, but I may just get over it and pick up an ML310 G8 with the 2nd 4 bay option, for a total of 8 3.5" drives.

Not sure if I want to resurrect the ML350 G6 I have or not for what will be a Server 2016 essentials box.

>you DO have a home server, right?
of course I do
>what do you use it for?
virtualization host
>what do you want to use it for?
virtualization host
>what are some specs?
16GB RAM, 8-core i7-4xxx something fuck if I know, I stole it from school

Alright I will try asking again.

Do anyone of you know is you can use Load reduced ECC DDR3 instead of Normal ECC DDR3 ram?

I'm asking because I have bought a 16gb DDR3 Load reduced stick on ebay and both my IBM X3650 M2 and my Mac Pro 5.1 wont boot with it installed alone (will with another ram installed but both machines cant see the 16gb and the onboard indicator of the mac says that the ram has a error)

So is this a case of faulty ram or that the machines cant use the stick?

And to the dude that replied last thread I'm not asking if I can mix them I'm asking is I can replace RDIMMS with LRDIMMS. I have tested it installed alone in the machines and they wont boot so . the question is should it boot with that only installed.

And I told you in the last thread, you cant mix and match LRDIMM/RDIMM/UDIMM and it is dependent on the memory controller in the CPU.

I got a cheap one on Kimsufi which is a OVH that offers low end machines. I've been using as a seedbox and cloud service through Seafile. I've been thinking about hosting some public services like temporary image hosting or a pastebin.

Since none of you fucking memers posted it, the Discord link: discord.gg/GTXXrpC

>shutcord
fuck off kid

kys

>dead server which even its creator abonded
Good goys

>you DO have a home server, right?
yep pic related
>what do you use it for?
sshfs cloud
taskwarrior sync
seedbox
occasional game server host
watch movies
store huge amounts of data on several HDDs
occasional http file hosting to share some pdf to friends
>what are some specs?
Pentium D @ 2.1ghz
1GB DDR1
1TO 3.5 HDD
2x500GB 2.5 hotswap HDDs
180GB HDD for OS
Ubuntu Server x86
Running no-ip and qbittorrent-nox, that's it.

Yesterday I scanned it and realized I still used http for qbittorrent webui. I now use https :)

Also recommend me a good 5.25 bay for 3.5 HDDs

Attached: IMG_20190223_182631.jpg (2976x3968, 1.42M)

If you ARE going to make a general about it, might as well post helpful links for people to read and join on the fun

Used to host my own visualSVN server,

AutoCad projects, java, c#, android applications, etc.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 5.34.58 PM.png (1280x800, 85K)

>i'm too retarded to google

Go back to Terry's Temple faggot. It's where you belong

Also stop same fagging

Attached: 1330417154552.jpg (275x275, 16K)

convince me to put my shit together again. it's been over 4 years i think...

Attached: DSC00155.jpg (648x1741, 311K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190223-124729_Clover.png (1061x353, 36K)

Attached: 1363260637062.png (400x400, 165K)

You still have to go back.
Also nice VPN. I know its you R***

Attached: 1548542225753.jpg (600x620, 214K)

What's the problem. Grab coffee and favourite screwdriver, slap it all into a box, boot your Linux, toss it on lvm and mdadm or snapraid or such, fill with cute anime girls.

Attached: Coffee.jpg (508x493, 24K)

I've got a single freenas machine
holds like 5tb of roms from basically everything up to 6th gen, minus the dreamcast
Also use it for iSCSI

Soon I'm getting a 10gbit connection between it and my pc and getting a DAS for even more storage

At what point do i just buy a storinator

i dont have the box i want and i have severe issues with starting up projects and finishing. and dont know where to put it.

a question tho, i have some shit on the drives already that were in raid5 on another mobo.
can i just plug the fuckers into a controller in any order and restore it?

Yeah you need a cpu that can handle LRDIMM, its meant for having a absolute shitload of RAM

>a question tho, i have some shit on the drives already that were in raid5 on another mobo.
>can i just plug the fuckers into a controller in any order and restore it?
short answer: HELL NAH NIGGA

sad. thought the stripe data was universal ..

You wouldn't have this problem with mdadm

eh, dont really care that much about the data, it's just pirated movies n shit

ZFS and Ceph Fileserver
AD domain controller, DHCP/DNS
PFSense router/firewall, suricata/PFblockerNG
BlueIris, Steam/Emby/Media streaming, homeautomation

Please don't hack my IP

Attached: Capture.png (3260x709, 107K)

>Have bad day
>Look at ssh log of server, see all the chinkbots failing at realizing that root and password logins are disabled
>Finally manage to smile a little

I don't even know why.

>I stole it from school
based

I stole a stick of RAM once during class 4 years ago. Was happy to plug on our family's shitty computer-

>DDR2

Fuck this piece of shit public sector

I have the proliant one in the picture you're replying to and that one does do UEFI iirc.

Okay sorry for being retarded, thought you only pointed out that you cant run both at the same time.

Alright. The cpu in my X3650 m2 is a E5506 and the cpu in my mac pro is X3690 so I take that atleast socket 1366 cpus is incompatible, google says that I need a E5-V2 series for my Load reduced ram to work.

Well I need to sell this stick then :/ damm got it okay cheap but still a bummer. I hope maybe someone wants to trade a normal ECC stick for it

Back in school we had 8GB RAM. On a win xp x32 install. Great use of the money.

Anyone ever ran a media server out of an old Android phone with some usb drives? Seriously thinking about it since I found out there's an Emby Server app for Android.

>8gb of ram on 32-bit OS
Jesus Christ, they're just asking for it

Thanks for the info and even more for the script. Checkout crashplan for backups - $10/mo and its completely unlimited. Google drive "unlimited" could go away at any time, I'd much rather just pay a legit company the $10 and know it is and will remain unlimited. I have 6TB of hard-to-finds backed up (not my whole collection).

Yeah, I guess the old plan was $14/year and I'm grandfathered in. $5/mo ain't too shabby though.

Might be fun just to mess around with I guess, but I wouldn't count on it for long. USB drives are much more unreliable than shucked drives, as they overheat and have shitty 25 cent controllers.

It should work, although the plural of "drives" is weird. One drive is probably enough for an old phone's port.

Pretty nice.

Cephfs has been pretty unstable for me so far. What's your health_warn about?

Nah. Although he isn't entirely correct, you can use some of the proprietary RAID shits with the correct dmraid configuration. You'll probably not figure it out entirely easily though, and I don't recall any particularly fancy software to detect the striping.

A better use of your time is probably still to wipe it with a fresh mdadm RAID and continue if nothing important is on there.

>have bad day
>check gmail
>20+ messages from my server
>backups/temps/scrubs/connection/etc all working perfectly
>finally manage to smile

Nothing beats the feeling of a well oiled server.

>storinator
I had to google that. You can build something like that for far cheaper

It'd just be nice to have everything in a single 4u case than have my current 4u 12 bay + 2 u 12 bay das

Super 846 chasis's are great man. I love my 24 bay. Drop in a X9DRi-LN4F+ mobo and a couple of sandy bridge proc and you golden

What's a good Linux program for network diagrams? I'd rally like to hit levels of beauty like this.

Attached: 1414847877129.jpg (4800x6912, 3.92M)

I've already got a server with more than enough I/O, i just need more drives

One node has 2 drives and running out of room

>I need a E5-V2 series
yes

> I hope maybe someone wants to trade a normal ECC stick for it
No one wants single sticks unless they have a bad one. Pretty much everyone will want them in multiples of 4.

I don't know, but that is a goddamn work of art

then get something like a HGST 4U60 like i have, 60 drives in 4U and sometimes dirt cheap on ebay.

Attached: rack.jpg (756x1344, 252K)

6 months after the new pcs were installed literally all "excess" ram was stolen. You don't pass up on free ram now do you?

Realistically i don't need more than 24 drives total, especially if i can get high capacity drives.

4/6tb drives seem to be the best right now, but i want more than that for total capacity since i need raidz2

My QNAP nas just suddenly died and won't post. Will I be able to get to the data without paying out the ass for another QNAP nas running 3 years old tech?

>4/6tb drives seem to be the best right now

Shucking 8/10TB are better. Apparently the 10TB have better wattage but haven't tested that yet.

>8tb @$140
Damn thats not bad, though loosing the warranty seems like a bit of a tradeoff
I'm more than a little bit poorfag so i can't exactly drop $1700 on drives right now

You don't lose warranty. People have even sent the drive alone. Take it slow and don't leave any scratches and keep the enclosure if you want to be safe.

I got my 10TB for $162 with a BB business account. Also comes with 32GB thumb drive which I have 14 of now.

>what do you use it for?
file server, torrenting, pihole, postgresql
>what do you want to use it for?
That's pretty much it
>what are some specs?
Some old athlon with 2 gigs of ram

It does not. None of the HP gen 8 stuff does. This was an engineering decision by HP. Gen 9 and newer are UEFI, gen 8 and older are not.

too much of a noob to make an rpi3b+ run gentoo on an usb hdd to make it work, and raspbian doesn't seem to be fun to me