/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: odg banner 8.jpg (4592x3056, 3.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray
jeanbaptistefleury.neocities.org/bd_buying_guide.html
youtu.be/VeLvdE8lNW4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use them to scare birds out of my fruit trees

People seem to not care about video quality and are just using streaming now.
Maybe some service will pop up similar to Tidal’s high quality music streaming but for video, just in case Blu-Ray disappears.

Attached: samsung blu ray.png (1000x1099, 534K)

How?

Attached: file.png (628x416, 602K)

>sony quits making 4k blu-ray players
Wow, I haven't seen that. I don't have such a player myself, but I guess it's time to invest in it. Doesn't PS4 support 4k on BD?

My sides, this is real. I heard crows are attracted to shiny things, that still helps? Phuc, I don't even know what to say.

It’s Samsung that’s gonna stop making them.
And the PS4 doesn’t even have a 4K Blu-Ray drive, but both the Xbox One S and X have it.

what's the 2nd one from the bottom? I assume the biggest is laser disc

Okay, thanks for the info. I knew sony cut down CD support in PS4, but I didn't know of the 4k limitation. Apparently some games on PS4 can be in 4k, but not BD's.

This is also a type of laserdisc, called CD Video. Philips added digital audio to the LD format and called it CD Video. They came in 3 sizes - the smallest one was 12cm, which contained 2 partitions - a CDA partition, and one with LD video. Unfortunately, disc rot was heavy on this one, the user who posted it said that now due to the rot, the digital audio is unreadable.

Attached: 1548419421791.jpg (4592x3056, 2.87M)

I burn my pics.

Attached: Screenshot_20190223_115940.png (1280x1024, 1.47M)

Is the rot in the image the crummy outline along the sides? The whole colour gives it an vinyl look.

do you think CEDs are completely rotted by now? they're entirely magnetic and like forty years old. i've started seeing a lot of them in thrift shops recently, and up until like a year ago i've only ever seen one of them

probably more along the lines that the players were extremely expensive and you can barely find VCRs these days let alone a niche video distribution that died in the 80s

capacitance electronic disk

Attached: ced.jpg (1200x900, 433K)

high quality data for my audiophile sound system

CD or SACD or DVD-Audio?

The rot is along the entire disc. It's supposed to be bright yellow/gold, but is more brown-ish.
>do you think CEDs are completely rotted by now?
Their longevity is measured completely differently from optical discs, because those are vinyl discs, where rot is less of a factor, but the quality degrades with wear. I think CED has about 500 watch cycles. Oh, and look out for dust, it might cause skipping.

I still make audio cd's for my wife. Her car only has cd player so instead of me buying a new stereo that has Blu tooth/aux inputs (and paying $150 - 200 for a good one) and wasting a good part of an afternoon installing it, It's just cheaper to buy a spindle of blank discs.

Hell I still make the occasional CD myself even though my car has all that "fancy" hookup options sometimes quick and dirty is better.

Yes, CD's are still perfect for audio distribution. I use them when certain files have to be transferred. I quickly burn a CD, put all the files on it and give it to whoever requested. I don't trust cloud storage and you can't just throw away a flash drive.

recieved my brand new bdres

Attached: IMG_20190223_142335.jpg (3968x2976, 2.04M)

What do you use them for?
>filename
Are you using a Huawei phone? By the way, I also tend to name discs like you, starting with zeroes.

you can get 4k blurays?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

>just in case Blu-Ray disappears
not going to happen for a very long time. just look at DVD, they're still being produced in large numbers. UHD bluray is still very new and not a huge amount of releases in that format.

>triple layer 100GB discs
oh wow
probably won't buy it though. i didn't even get into regular bluray at all
still burn the rare dvd for an extra extra copy of really important stuff (work)

thanks for the reminder. i need more blanks.

Optical discs are for faggots. I knew this when I was a kid unable to play my PS1 game because it's scratched, and I know this now as an adult because it's a dying media not even Blu Ray could save. Optical discs are shit, SD cards are the future. Move your data now and toss those shit discs in the trash.

Attached: 18s07slk41354png.png (480x287, 186K)

>Optical discs are shit, SD cards are the future.
are you from 2005?
SD cards are the past as well

welke film?

Film? Ik bewaar eigen foto's, van mijn kringloopwinkel camera.

Imagine over 20 DVD's in one disc. That's the capacity of BDXL. I've bought a few of these disks and so far they've served me well for archiving data. Highly recommend them to you.
Their longevity is greater than DVD also because BD is inorganic, unlike DVD-+R.

About 6 times a year I either
>Rip a CD
>Rip a Blu ray
>Watch a Blu Ray
>Install an old game
Imagine being so cucked you literally aren't capable of doing this.

Attached: 1538737050118.jpg (396x396, 29K)

>The only SACD device I own is my broken PS3
Suffering

>What do you use them for?
Backing up my important files, my server system files, phone pictures, Jow Forums memes, backup my saturn games, backup all the movies I download etc. I use the BD-REs for things that are less than 25GB so I don't waste space. For anything else I use Verbatim BD-Rs. Have a spindle of 50.
>Huawei phone?
yes P10 lite
>By the way, I also tend to name discs like you, starting with zeroes.
Yeah for every jewel case I also print on paper a tree of the disc content, also I like numbering everything because muh autism.

I made a comparative list a while back on my personal website:
jeanbaptistefleury.neocities.org/bd_buying_guide.html
(very poorly done sorry)

Has anyone here used m-discs for archiving stuff before? I have some documents I would like to archive (no massive file sizes) and am not tremendously sure on what to use. These will just be archive copies, other copies will be kept elsewhere for easier access.

classic BD-Rs already have a life expectancy of like 100 years.

>Install an old game
>leave old game at parents place
>fuck it ill just download it
>bonus points for sharing the love at the same time

Attached: a.png (279x175, 10K)

>>triple layer 100GB discs
There are also 100Gb M-DISC's, which means their life theoretically approaches 1000 years.

Attached: IMG_20190223_181102.jpg (1984x1488, 323K)

>Backing up my important files, my server system files, phone pictures, Jow Forums memes, backup my saturn games, backup all the movies I download etc. I use the BD-REs for things that are less than 25GB so I don't waste space. For anything else I use Verbatim BD-Rs. Have a spindle of 50.
Pretty much the same. I have a RAM2 disc dedicated to saving /odg/ content and images, it also has the archive of my 001 CD-RW. For archiving videos I use BD DL's both R and RE and I also have a "flash drive" 8cm DVD+RW disc which I often use as a flash drive and carry with me.
>yes P10 lite
Mine is P10 Plus
>Yeah for every jewel case I also print on paper a tree of the disc content
How do you make an image of said tree? I'd like doing that, but so far I'm just creating custom labels for discs and print them.
I can leave my email address, if you wish, we have much in common.

>How do you make an image of said tree?
the linux tree command in a txt file then I adjust the font so that it fits on a single page
>Mine is P10 Plus
Nice
>I can leave my email address
yeah sure :)

done

Thank you. Would you like to co-maintain /odg/?

I don't have enough interests in optical media to co-maintain a general but I'm definitely interested in this technology. Did you watch technology connections serie on youtube abojt CDs and laserdiscs?

CD yes, laserdiscs - not yet. I liked the way he went in depth on how CD error correction works, he also has good reviews of DVD-RAM and lightscribe technologies.

>DVD-RAM
watched it literally yesterday, was very interesting.
>lightscribe
it's the technology meant to write images on your disc using the cd burner's laser right?

I can see DVD/Blu ray discs for archival purpose but there is a practical limit to it. When your data scales into the multi TB range then you need to look else where for backup needs.

The cost and time involved is just not worth it when you can bag a few external HDDs that would do the same job and copy all data quicker to boot.

I've got around 16TB right now. Can you imagine the cost and time it'd take to copy all that to 100GB Blu-ray discs?

I use BD-Rs to store my rather large collection of pirated tv shows, animus, movies etc. because buying hard drives is tedious and impractical.

>it's the technology meant to write images on your disc using the cd burner's laser right?
"Burn, flip, burn" was their motto. If you don't have a proper printer, you can burn an image using the lightscribe drive with a special disc. I've made such a label with the /odg/ logo and gave the disc to a friend of mine who has a good camera. What she's going to take, may end up as the next thread's banner.
>>DVD-RAM
Remember he mentioned high-speed discs that could be burnt at x6-12 speeds? I have those discs and am using one at the moment. Wait a minute, I'm going to get a proper scan of it.

for physical media, I think not, micro-sd cards are capable of holding vast amounts of data(512gb), while not being able to get scratched, and being able to fit in a case the size of a postage stamp. Most phones/game players use microsd, I think it's the pinnacle of physical storage(other than ssd of course)

Attached: ram2 pic.jpg (2500x1076, 3.12M)

Aside historical/technical interest, how is this better than a 32gb microsd?

It is composed of 9 alloys, which allows for over 100'000 write cycles and longevity of 40 years, no electricity needed. Plus, it can be read by most DVD-players.

bump

I'll be away for a night, please maintain this thread anons.

Backups mostly, especially with blu-ray discs since they tend to have an inorganic section inside. In a couple of days from now i'm going to make a Blizzard classic games pack disk. Which would include warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo and Diablo II as well as of course with the respective addons for each game.

>I think it's the pinnacle of physical storage
They're still a flash based storage meaning they won't last forever in retaining a backup file. DvD's and Blu-ray discs, however, can last theoretically for a very long time, as long as you take care of the disc itself.

Crows don't usually savage cherries. This is mostly to keep songbirds out of the trees

Is Blu Ray ROM even a thing?
Has any software or game been released on blu ray?

Attached: 1528958892189.png (600x600, 147K)

playstation 3 and 4?

Literally every PS3/4 and XOne game. The Wii U also uses its own version of BD-ROM for its games.

>rip SACDs with PS3
>want to use those on mobile, specifically the SACD masters since they are different from the CD layer audio
>every way i try to convert to PCM there is a pop in-between tracks that i can’t stop from happening even though my DSF tracks from ISO are fine in their playback
I am livid

Ah yes but is that all? Nothing for PC?

idol live shows

Attached: 000000002417.jpg (2160x3840, 1.61M)

Forgive my ignorance, but can you still buy M-Discs?
I've been planning a long-term (50 year if possible) time capsule that will include 50+ GB of digital things as well, and M-Disc seems like the most promising format that won't bankrupt me.
I've got until June to put it together, so I don't really have much time to switch formats if some problem comes up.

Blu-Ray failed because the movie industry is full of retards and greedy pieces of shit. If they phased out DVD and sold Blu-ray discs for the same price, then I believe Blu-ray would be much more popular today. But no, the movie industry wanted to charge a premium for the HD format when literally everyone has an HDTV. Nobody likes being charged a premium, so DVD has stuck around way longer than it should have.

user who took the pics here.
I just bought one of these (LG GGC-H20N).
According to the specs it can handle CD, DVD, BD, and HD DVD. Only does CD and DVD burning, though.
I bought it mainly to rip my existing BD films and maybe some HD DVDs, since they seem to be cheap as dirt and I might buy some films I don't have.
Anyone have experience with these combo BD/HD DVD drives?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 420K)

Currently ripping a bluray as I post this. Not burnt anything yet with this drive.

I do not miss the 48x noise.

Attached: 13856764735_57e43e340c_b.jpg (886x1024, 403K)

Shit works. Lots of birds see a giant reflective eye-like thing and nope the fuck out.

Literally this.

Optical is trash.

It always has been and always will be.

SD+Encrypted Cloud backups.

>I knew this when I was a kid unable to play my PS1 game because it's scratched
Sounds like someone couldn't take care of their shit.

SD cards are slow and aren't durable, but I just did the math and it turns out a 10TB HDD is now cheaper per GB than an assload of Blu-ray discs and way more convenient than a pile of SD cards.
So you're right. Optical is only worth anything if you're storing small amounts of data on high quality archival media for 20 year vault storage or something. That's an extremely small niche. The only thing that beats backup disks now is tape, but that's only economical at the hundred TB+ range.

Used tape drives are fairly cheap

Yes

But the tapes for those old drives aren't big, and tape libraries are fuckexpensive.

>cheap
this is the cheapest lto5 drive available on ebay that is not a weird proprietary module for a library.
Anything below lto5 is worthless - you'll get better price and density from hdds at that point.

Attached: Screenshot_20190224_021644.png (1097x640, 337K)

The future.

Attached: Archival Disc.jpg (1280x830, 69K)

>Optical discs are shit
>uses a memory card with an optical disc in its logo

I can literally download a CD in FLAC faster than it takes to stand up, walk 3 steps to my shelf, grab a CD, and put it into the computer.

Since then I also disconnected all internal drives in my computer and have been using an external Plextor 712.

I used to have half thousand DVDs burned as backups, and a third of them were unreadable when I moved everything to larger internal HDDs.

>SD cards are slow
I dunno, the high capacity ones are up to 90MB/s now, which is almost HDD territory.
Data retention is the real worry here, fuckin QLC is gonna fuck shit up within a few years of storage.

Yes. Also because DVD looks acceptable on an HDTV, though not as nice as Blu-ray. But the difference in price doesn't make the quality difference worth it except for a few movies that have large epic views and look like shit in anything less than 4k.

And then of course there's the rise of streaming, where you get HD for a reasonable price.

all I use optical media for in 2019 is music in the car

That guy probably just threw out his Titan Xp / i9 8950HK rig to replace it with Titan RTX and i9 9900K, and finds used lto5 drives to be dirt cheap.

>And then of course there's the rise of streaming, where you get HD for a reasonable price.
netflix HD doesn't look as clean as DVD, sharper, yes, but with compression artifacts out the ass, i'd rather watch a DVD for most things

fetish

>reddit spacing
You have to go back

I haven't used such a drive, but over here HD DVD films cost more than average. Also, can we get more pics (of optical discs)? I really like the stuff you posted.

>SD
What if I told you SD cards can be considered a type of optical discs?
youtu.be/VeLvdE8lNW4

DVD-Rs are still the most practical means of backing up personal data imo

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-09-02-23h33m04s966.png (960x738, 799K)

What about the rot? DVD-RW, DVD-RAM and Blu-ray discs are inorganic, their lifespan is greater.

based farmerbro

Another cassette based sony format? lmao

>cassette based
But it isn't.

Based and Technology Connectionspilled

What do you call that plastic enclosure then

Is that person a metrosexual or a quiet tranny?

I believe it's a caddy, inside it is an optical disc. Blu-rays, too, only came with a caddy until Durabis coating was invented.

Caddy, cassette, tomato potato

Preparing images for the next banner

Attached: DSCF5303.jpg (4000x2664, 3.05M)