Don't distro hopping.

Attached: kek.jpg (400x400, 17K)

but I don't want to be known as someone who uses big name Ubuntu distros

known by whom?
fellow Jow Forumsentoomen?
your mom?

both
*gasp*

I really don't understand why people distro hop.
Really the only major fucking difference between them is the package manager.
I've been using Mint ever since I learnt what Linux is. I'm sure it accomplishes the same things as Fedora or Arch do. Why would I switch?

Attached: 1495394224420.gif (256x256, 458K)

You shouldn't have said that. Now they're going to make fun of you.

Attached: 1546075638818.jpg (750x944, 598K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I mean there are more differences than just package managers but I also have never been a big hopper. I just upgrade to the latest Fedora release. feels comfy

Nuances, the subtleties of different feels and angles of approach. For no practical reason, I'm on windows 7 after using linux for years. Was forgetting the 'feel' of windows necessary for practical usage. Yes its a bit shit and I'll eventually go for another linux flavor but now I can't virtual box all of the disto's and see which one fits best for me and this particular machine.

Right.
Install Gentoo.

The package manager alone is one massive difference, considering that it's the central piece of software that... *distributes* and manages software in *distributions*.
Now, I can understand why you're wondering about it. If you tell me
>all distributions can do everything other distributions can
then you're (technically) right: given some tweaking, every Gahnoo/Linux distribution can potentially do the same things.
However, distributions differ in their defaults (init systems, DEs, other programs), their main approaches to software distribution (binary, source based...), the support they receive, and last, but not least, their community. They may seem insignificant things when looked at in isolation, but when considered together, they end up making a big difference in the overall experience.
I used Mint for around 3 years, it was my first distribution as well. After I started getting more comfortable with Linux in general, I decided to try more "advanced" distributions since I wanted more flexibility: I used Arch for around 9 months, then it shat itself. Switched to Gentoo after that, and I never looked back. Overall, the experience is better. I have unironically less problems, while I remember I had to Google the fuck out of everything when I was on Mint (however, that was also due to my lack of experience with *nix systems at the time).

>all distributions can do everything other distributions can
Do all distros have working SELinux and use OSTree?

Yes, technically, you can get them to work under every distribution. That doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do over just using a distribution that supports them by default.

My point exactly. That's how distros are different.

Based.

don';t distro hpoing just use kali

Debian master race ultra comfy race
>stable as a tree
>hosts an onion domain
>is entirely free libre until you add nonfree repositories
>all software is packaged for it
>doesn't care about the patented codecs meme
Come/stay home, white man.

Attached: 6666666666666.png (1200x1486, 92K)

nice English, Raj

>uses systemd by default
Dropped.

>white man
You've violated the code of conduct. Please stop using Debian.

theyre all the same under the hood

Evidently they're fuckng not.

its all the same shit seriously

It's literally not. Distros can include many deviations from upstream in their packages. Just because lmao u can set it up like that anywhere doesn't mean shit's the same. Especially since the distro maintainers should actually know what they're doing when setting stuff up in an uncommon way. E.g. you can set your kernel up to have signed modules but if you follow your distro's updates that'll be gone by the next kernel update.

dude come on you're not seriously trying to tell me they're really that different

>tfw actually stopped distro hopping after installing arch

> bad english
> retarded frog

i think its about the repo aswell, but yeha, i started with mint too and now its my own thing, no need to hop to something else since its not even mint anymore

although i might try devuan just to see how much of a diference systemD makes

>mom sees my distro
>throws me a smug face
>"oh my user, are you still using that? how cute"

Attached: D7B77B26ABA348B996BAA3F1E88DFE0A.png (506x606, 31K)

>mom sees my rice
>"aww baby you did a great job! We'll put your screenfetch on the refrigerator next to your brothers medical degree!"

Attached: images6.jpg (194x259, 5K)

>Switched to Gentoo after that, and I never looked back.
This.
Thanks, based Gentoo.
You helped me break the habit.

Attached: 1528902042943.png (1280x720, 872K)

That English

Attached: tumblr_opres0iNQg1qg67clo1_500.gif (500x281, 2.76M)

I installed Windows 7 - the perfect cure for distro hopping.

until jan 2020 yeah

>updating Windows
>ever

did you know most medics are unhappy?

Maybe if people distro hopped more, instead of telling themselves everything's the same anyways, they'd realize how much the same thing can vary from distro to distro.

Attached: 1339550542650.png (125x125, 3K)

not really user

>Linux is the kernel
Yeah, so it's the OS.

Does anyone here actually use Devuan and follow it's development? I'm interested but I'm afraid of using a distro with too few developers to maintain it. If I was any good at programming I'd gladly help because Debian without systemd sounds like heaven to me.

what's wrong with debian + systemd

Frogs should like hopping