OS thread

Sup Jow Forums newfag here.
I'm using Win 8.1. I know it's shit and i want to change OS, but don't know what to install.

What OS do you recommend?

Attached: 1537898597703.png (1137x736, 1.23M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE&t=828s
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
slackwiki.com/Church_of_the_SubGenius
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

should i use TepmleOS?

youtube.com/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE&t=828s

Install gentoo

is this even a thing outside the le ebin meme?

w10
linux is a waste of time

1/10

Attached: 1432232960639.png (250x189, 74K)

Linux mint is usually recommended for Gnu/newbies but I never used it before so I can't vote for it.
Opensuse has a nice control panel where you can do everything via a windows-like GUI, but in my experience getting video and mp3 to work on opensuse is harder than installing bloody gentoo.
Arch is a neat little distro that just works if you don't mind following the install guide, though sometimes you have to manually fix from broken dependencies but that holds true for any rolling release distro, it's just a matter of removing packages and installing them again.
Debian is also a thing s but like arch you have to use the CLI, if you install debian make sure to get the ISO with non-free firmware or else most likely your wifi wont work.
Anyway at this point any distro will do, just stay away from ubuntu since it's amazon botnet.

yes
Install Gentoo, or Arch

Btw I use Arch

I used to study on debian in school, it was pretty good. I just want to have a system where i can program, and use internet. I keep winshit too for gayming.
I think i can handle problems with guides, but i don't want to spen all my time doing that.

Ubuntu. I switching back from Fedora. Ubuntu just has much better community support.

Only difference for me I will always use the latest kernel on my Ubuntu install (mainly for amdgpu drivers.)

>Ubuntu just has much better community support.
Ubuntu has the best support for brainlets.
If you're not a brainlet, however, you'll want actual support beyond "have you tried turning it off and on again?".
Arch Linux has the best documentation, in the form of a wiki.

what anti-virus can i use in linux systems?

Well Arch is stable, the meme you've learned "mom cancel my meetings..." is nothing but bullshit, like any rolling release distro sometimes user attention is required when doing a full system upgrade and generally should take few minutes to sort it out.
So at this point I would recommend Arch, it's a updated, stable distro that just works.

>Sorry, I got to fix my touchpad drivers and Xorg, and xbacklight and rice my shitty WM and watch loli hentai and...
>Install w10, everything works, be productive in a comfy os and don't waste time fixing shit and ricing.
Stay mad loonix tards

Common sense AV 0.13-132a.

First off, Arch is utter garbage that has constant breakages and I don't want to waste hours fixing issues (been there and done that.) Second, I have been a linux user since 2009. Third, I know how linux works to the bone. Forth, Fedora is a great distro especially with rpmfusion (packages are nearly as up to date as they are on arch but far more stable (no wonder why Linus uses this distro).) Fifth, Because of flathub and snappy I can get the few programs I want the latest versions of on my desktop with little fuss other then permissions. Sixth, I mainly just want the latest kernel with up to date users applications (Fedora has some problems with unsupported documentation for program I build from source for it.)

My main desktop is comming back to Ubuntu.

On the other hand I'm planning on switching from Solus to Sabayon on my laptop. I really love how flexible Gentoo and sabayon emerge is.

what is gentoo?

Been using Arch for three years in multiple systems with no issues. I suspect your issue to be a PEBKAC.
Full disclosure: Using Linux since 1996, as main system since 2001, Gentoo on my main since 2003.

Attached: 1541693680088.png (589x610, 246K)

You should star with arch, it will be hard to install but is a nice introduction to gnu /linux
Install it parallel with your windows install and delete windows when you have arch running nicely
You might have ti reinstall arch a few times untill you get it right for yourself

Windows 8.1 just works.
When I used Linux mint, it just worked.
Just use the whatever OS you want for your needs.

i don't like surveillance

>You might have ti reinstall arch a few times untill you get it right for yourself
u wut m8?

Jow Forums may be affecting you but whatever.
If you don't like it, use Kali Linux or avoid internet
Good luck if you work needs specialized software.

It has taken me a long time tobfully switch to using linux on my main system and had to slowly learn what prograns and DE's did what well. Even distros have their strengths and weaknesses. I will say this again, Arch is flatout garbage for long term stability. I have yet to see a Arch install persist for more then 2 years without total breakage. On the flip side I have seen Fedora systems lasts over 5 years without needing major fixes.

Attached: 1550295096405.gif (200x200, 788K)

I was thinking about Kali and Slackware but i don't know them.

look at this dood lmao
I can almost feel a sense of pride coming off of this post

Difference in experience. Such as, how you've never heard of:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
Or even realized Arch would need such a thing.

Attached: 1535972032073.png (418x498, 203K)

Don't bother with either unless you are planning on hacking the matrix.

Stick with Fedora(w/rpmfuison) or Ubuntu(any spin you like.)

Don't fall for the Arch meme.

>Suggesting shitty Debian rehashes with tiny communities and non-existant QC
>Over Debian, community distro with longest history, most packages and most developers.

Attached: 1525135811317.jpg (600x325, 18K)

what about debian?

Mint. Easy to move from windows.cinnamon desktop.

>(packages break dotfile configs so often we just automatically back them up for you) the distro
Sorry bud but no thanks. Once you use Fedora with etcsync it is hard to quit. I'm gonna run a near bleeding edge ubuntu install.

Attached: 1546021887820.gif (500x390, 1.92M)

Non-rehash, mature, community distributions aka the options:
- Debian: Oldest, biggest, easiest, lowest maintenance.
- Arch: Rolling-release, best documentation, easy, low maintenance.
- Gentoo: Rolling-release, compile everything yourself approach (portage), less easy, high maintenance.
Pick your poison.

Attached: 1520985808500.png (300x300, 151K)

>using a distribution (fedora) where a company (redhat) has community board overruling powers.
How cucked can you be?

>being so dumb he thinks Fedora is Debian based
>Arch user who says Ubuntu has non-existant quality control
The universe is laughing at you.

Works. My odroid server runs Debian. Packages can get dated.

Attached: 1545615464752.gif (295x221, 613K)

can you make out Kali and Slackware too please?

Attached: atlast.png (204x172, 9K)

I've been running Windows 7 since 2010 with no plans to drop it anytime soon, even after the EOL date. I don't play new games and that's really the only reason that would force me to upgrade the OS anyway.

>Slackware
Contaminated with subgenius church nonsense.
>Kali
Yet another Debian rehash.

I only play old games, my newest game would be Dark Souls 2 and i don't even want to touch that shit. My games like 1995-2007 i think.

>Contaminated with subgenius church nonsense.
can you expand that or link ?
is it like TempleOS?

>thinks majority of packages are control by Redhat
At least the distro they built as a community works properly. Same goes for Ubuntu and Opensuse. Funny how corporations are the ones who know how to make a decent distro that isn't rolling garbage.

Notice that I think Arch is trash but think Gentoo and Solus are quite nice when compaired.

>being so dumb he thinks Fedora is Debian based
I think user meant that about specifically the Ubuntu "spins" part.

slackwiki.com/Church_of_the_SubGenius
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius

Attached: 1528622704054.png (1280x720, 673K)

>Arch
>low maintenance

Attached: 1548793165168.gif (220x242, 2.98M)

Gentoo has more stability if setup correctly. Packages build to such a fine degree that when they build it either fails or the release is borked.

It's being compared to Gentoo.
As long as you update reasonably often and you're not dumb about config management, Arch is troubleless.

>doesn't mention Slackware based distros or Fedora based distros.

Attached: 1550685208585.png (2000x8794, 3.86M)

Attached: 1550577738559.gif (500x281, 1.63M)

Stability it does have. Particularly, ever since they introduced keeping libs that packages still link to. Which is still recent in my memory.

*Redhat

Slackware is subgenius garbage. Fedora is not a community distribution, as redhat holds ultimate power over it.
Neither are worth considering, unless you're a cuck.

It's the truth.

Attached: 1530794825246.jpg (640x410, 82K)

8.1 is fine
It has the snappy metro-based interface of 10 but with none of the privacy invading telemetry in the background
It's still supported until 2023 for security updates so why not stay on it, it's not like you need any particular windows 10 feature

Any of them.
But really, people need to learn the skills to develop their own OS and user interface. Most us cannot, leaving us unable to make the system we use more efficient for our purposes.

Install Gentoo.

>8.1 is fine

Attached: 1506878264693.png (1024x1024, 86K)

My trackpad actually stopped working two days ago kek. I use mouse anyways.

Holy shit I didn't know about this.
Seems Glorious Gentoo really is the best Gahnoo/Linux distro after all.

Dont listen to the retards. If you dont know terminal shit gentooarch etc will be nothing buta nightmare. Mint or ubuntu mini iso. Mini iso lets you do a minimal install without all the added bs and ucan choose which desktop environment to use. Xfce,gnome,lxde mate or kde. Its a simple install. Mint if u want something that just works and is windows like

kek, they fucking monitor your typing bro

Attached: 1436976451320.gif (400x200, 210K)

>If you dont know terminal shit gentooarch etc will be nothing buta nightmare.
If you don't know "terminal shit", gentooarch will help you move past that problem. If you don't want to, pic related.

Attached: 1544387232704.png (476x550, 288K)

If you want to install bullshit for bragging rites go with gentoo or arch. Linux from scratch is cooler

While I disagree with there not being telemetry I think people are really fucking misinformed about 8.1. It's still more stable than windows 10, it replaces less good stuff from 7 (like for instance file associations without having to spend a fucking evening doing that shit manually), it has an easily replaceable start menu that doesn't require a newer version of the software everytime you update your system, you can still choose updates... basically it's a system that has a mix between good things from 7 and good things from 10. And people blatantly ignore it because of the metro bullshit and because they had a bad experience in 2014. It's sad, really.

As of today if you have newer hardware you stand to benefit more in the end from using windows 10 but yeah, 8.1 is criminally underrated by people that either have this baby duck syndrome where they can't leave 7 behind because "what if something breaks?" and people who are stuck with this image of 8.1 as the tablet OS it was in its early stages. The Vista effect again, where it was absolute shit at first, and by the time it got usable everyone was using 7 so nobody noticed it was just as usable as 7 with minor quirks.

>Linux from scratch is cooler
It is cooler. Went there, done that. A looooong time ago.
Good as an academic exercise. But it really is high maintenance.
Not worth keeping, unless your time is worthless.

Attached: 1549684040450.jpg (936x700, 112K)

>Kali or slackware
Could you try to look more as a know nothing tryhard?

No seriously, you certainly, 100% guaranteed don't need either.

yes, yes you should

Attached: 1446217180126.jpg (500x384, 14K)

Gentoo is great if you’ve got the time but honestly the time it takes to install is a giant pain in the ass. I wish there was a way to more easily deploy Gentoo on different systems.