Redpill me on oled. Is it time to upgrade?

Redpill me on oled. Is it time to upgrade?

Attached: led4.jpg (900x351, 236K)

Upgrade what? Your phone, your TV?

burn in. good enough for phones, if you keep them dim. don't buy oled TVs or pc monitors.

For PCs wait for microled. And all decent phones are already oled anyway so the question is meaningless in this case.

oled looks extremely unnatural if the room has the lights off.

The screen seems to suffer from extremely low brightness when they are displaying some dark image and settings don't help at all.

Not that noticeable during the day but jarring at night.

Why don't people like quantum dot if it solves the burn in problem that OLED has and looks roughly the same?

This. If the back lighting is extremely low there is ghosting.

Best color screens tho hands down.

muh perfect blacks and viewing angles

It isn't the same as oled. Also qdot is a proprietary marketing denotation.

The blacks have backlight. Oled blacks have zero light.

I'm only interested for the sake of VR. OLED in VR headsets is shit, it requires a sensor to prevent burn-in and I can still see some kind of backlight when the panel is supposed to be dark.

If it's your phone, it was time to upgrade 5 years ago. Yes, AMOLED is noticeably better in almost all areas than LCD

Plasma

Chink shit OLED is worse than good LCD. Get OLED in your phone/TV, but for desktop (or gaming), resolution and framerate will likely take priority. A good judge is colour depth and light emitted when the screen is fully black.

Can someone that knows his shit about TV monitors tell me if I can use a 42" 4k tv as a PC monitor?
Something about subsampling and 4:4:4 and text?

All the TV displays are made by LG. If there is chinkshit OLED, it's in phones because chinks stole Samsung's manufacturing equipment from their partners

Most TVs in the past 2 years should support full chroma in PC or game mode on at least one hdmi input. If you have an extremely low budget model

>2019
>Still no OLED monitors
>mLED nowhere in sight
>Just the same shitty LCD screens from 2006 except that now they're curved and distorted le gayming

Where did everything go so wrong?

Attached: 1497319795281.jpg (457x396, 17K)

no, wait for mLED

burn-in.

Don't Sony and Panasonic produce their own OLED panels as well?

>quantum dot
No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs.

Neither Sony or Panasonic make any TV panels. They use LG panels for that.

Sony does make some smaller OLEDs for use in reference monitors, but they cost upwards of $25k and they're actually transitioning away from those in favor of dual-layer LCD due to better HDR performance on those.

if it was real qdot (mled) then hell yeah

mLED was shown in high end tvs at CES 2019. So I would expect monitors to be coming out in 2020.

You're a goddamn retard. Quantum dots are particles small enough that their electrical properties become dependent on size in unusual and interesting ways.

Quantum tunneling, totally and completely unrelated, is most definitely real and a cause of leakage with nanoscale barriers. Electrons reach out into classically forbidden regions at a negative exponential curve.

Nope for TV or monitor.
If your phone isn't oled, you are a couple years late to the party.

It's copypasta, user.

The only "quantum dot" displays you can actually buy are LCDs that use a quantum dot film on the backlight to improve color gamut. They still suffer from all the problems that LCDs have - poor contrast, viewing angles, uniformity, etc.

>The screen seems to suffer from extremely low brightness when they are displaying some dark image
don't tell me that you fucking mongoloid actually expect a display to have washed-out blacks? LCDs were a mistake.

>they're actually transitioning away from those in favor of dual-layer LCD due to better HDR performance on those.

That's hisense's technology for TVs

I really like OLED.
My phone is OLED and it looks really nice.
My tablet is AMOLED, which means I can watch videos while going to bed and the backlight doesn't illuminate the room (harsh backlights are very distracting in the dark)
My watch is OLED, which supports its battery and helps visibility in sunlight.

All in all I like OLED.
I'd like an OLED monitor eventually, it would be worth bringing back screensavers for it.
Operating systems may need to implement OLED modes that shift pixels to prevent the taskbars and other UI elements from burning in.

Hisense is also developing dual-layer, yes, but the professional displays that use it are based on Panasonic's version.

>modes that shift pixels
That would help, but only marginally if you have many pixels of the same color (titlebars, menus, etc.)

Imagine having a 27" 1440p 144hz microled monitor, the dream.