What does /g think about Wine? Is it literally Windows killer?

What does /g think about Wine? Is it literally Windows killer?

Attached: wineHQ.jpg (295x171, 6K)

No, it's a figurative Windows reinvigorator

Nah
Wine will forever be behind and if UWP ever catches on then that would be the end of it

It's a shitty joke and an even shittier meme.

Only gaymers try Wine or dualboot

You can't think any other use than games?

It's a fucking joke. Been in development since the 90s and still can't run high end video rendering or photo editing software. Only recently, a little over 2 decades after its development started, has it started to look like a potential alternative to Win32 for games with Proton Steam Play, and even that is in very early beta currently.

Attached: 1550030449661.jpg (399x385, 29K)

Pretty cool. It plays all my vidya when combined with DXVK.

it's ok i guess. chateauneuf du pape is a favorite of mine.

It was a Windows killer 15 years ago. Now its only handy for niche software. 90% of Linuxfags should avoid it like the plague.

Attached: rs_1024x759-180525122653-1024-liz-lemon-wine.jpg (1024x759, 57K)

Good for most games since very recently, not good for professional applications. That's just about it, unless you want to also include some obscure 16-bit software for the memes.

Soon™

Soon, brother.

NOW™

Attached: 1550714259556.png (720x704, 482K)

if it could run solidworks, i wouldn't need to keep a windows install around

I've almost never used it except for games. Most software used on windows has an opensource native linux alternative that works fine and the software that doesn't have a good linux alternative doesn't run well using Wine either.

I don't get the idea behind "killing windows" or "year of the linux desktop". People can use the software they want.

what linux distro is best for gaming with wine?
it canb suck at everything else, wouldnt matter

(slackware is terrible at wine gaming)

I played Fallout New Vegas and Elder Scrolls Online last night with Wine 4.2 on Kubuntu, and I literally cannot perceive a difference anymore. I haven't played those games in Windows in quite a while, and I don't have a Windows machine to game on anymore, but perception is everything. Frame seemed perfect. Ultra settings on a gtx680 4GB.

As much as I dislike Microsoft, I would like it if I could eventually get Outlook 2016 working on my Kubuntu desktop at work. Using Office365 in the browser isn't quite as feature-rich. Now that Wine 4 is out, I'm going to try it again.

It's amazing what a little money can do, isn't it? A big behemoth like Valve comes along, and accomplishes more in a year than the community could in decades. Money talks. I don't see how that's a joke. God bless GabeN.

idk I only play touhou with it

No, there is an alternative to any other piece of software.

It kinda can run 2013.

valve took advantage of what was already there, added some bits here and there and renamed it.

This. Wine started out as a group of volunteer open source devs on a mailing list trying to get programs from Windows to work on their Unix systems. Pretty much all major advancements to Wine occurred when a company started paying for development improvements so their product could be sold to the linux market.
>Corel wants to sell their products to the linux market, they pay for Wine improvements hoping they could use wine to port their products. They couldn't
>Transgaming decides they're going to create DirectX support for linux and sell gaming support to the linux crowd. They couldn't
>Valve decides they're going to try the same thing. We'll see

I'd rather VM+ GPU passthrough
>if UWP ever catches on then that would be the end of it
it won't, but elaborate?

without even memeing an arch-based distro is kind of ideal for gaming. you want to stay up to date with gpu drivers and wine versions. i think fedora has at least recent-ish packages so that could be a good choice too. i figure something like debian would be less than ideal.

> dual-boot
kek

M$ has already tired to make Windows 10 UWP only and if that ever does happen I just don't see Wine having any real support for UWP outside of
the Win32 bridge apps

The progress with things like Proton has made me more interested in my next machine instead of going to 10, just going to linux and having 10 in a vm or something.

Gimp is shit compared to Photoshop though.

wine doesnt really work that well, we'll really just have to wait for a unified linux repository and mainstream support

It's 2019 this current year. And gaming on Linux still sucks balls.

I only use it for VNs and it just werks for me. I like it.

this, can you imagine the absolute state of wine right now without the DXVK project literally made by 1(one) person?
fucking lmao freetards

>M$

Attached: 1540131344896.png (373x327, 190K)

More like a crutch for wintoddlers navigating the gnu/linux world.

The greatest Windows killer ever is Microsoft. Can't compete with that.

GIMP is only shit when comparing to Photoshop, which costs money. GIMP isn't shit by itself. Home users could all install it and do everything they want to do.

Pretty much any big distro has a 3rd party repo with newest drivers and kernel

>And gaming on Linux still sucks balls.
That's entirely subjective. Lot's of my games work on Linux now and I'm thankful that I no longer have to turn on my Windows computer to play them. This might be a different story if the majority of games released in the past few years weren't shit. Since that's not the case, I don't find my options to be lacking in Linux.

how to properly tinker with wine so it will run some games? i mean what to do when parsing a wine prompt to jewgle does not really work?
are there any websites that can help, aside from winehq which is not really helpful most of the times

Lutris

This
Lutris has been working excellently for nearly all of my games

Nah. The devs only seem to care about sloppily running applications that already exist for Loonix and macOS anyway or ancient games.

Every single piece of software that forces me to stay on Windows doesn't properly work on Wine.

I'll be curious to know how one gets it to work with reaper and windows vsts.

There is nothing preventing wine to just re implement uwp, just like they did with win32.

enjoy no games cuckold lol

i tried it, played some san andreas then uninstalled the shit and fucked up my whole system

Microsoft tried to keep dx12 W10 exclusive and yet WINE team made it work.

Reaper has a Linux version though...?

plays the games I play fine