Is xfce dead?

and how long it will survive?

Attached: 800px-Xfce_logo.svg.png (800x800, 182K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.xfce.org/
askubuntu.com/questions/902992/ubuntu-gnome-17-04-wi-fi-not-working-mac-address-keeps-changing/905019
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/xfce4-panel/ bug/1397095
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what is dead may never die

As soon as Wayland gets usable and adopted by major DEs (GNOME, KDE), Xorg will enter maintenance mode and will survive only in XWayland form. DEs/WMs without the man power to switch are going to die.

Installed it today, rebooted and no taskbar on top. Fuck this shit

KDE > All IMHO

>As soon as Wayland gets usable
this doesn't really answer the question

>10 years old
>barely adopted
>the only thing that makes it usable is XWayland
LMAO, the thing itself is fucking dead.

>v4.14 almost out
>dead
Lel. But yeah, it has less than 10 devs which is a shame. It's literally the only good DE other than KDE. Just needs a bit more polishing.

works for me lmao idk any of this shit about it being dead when i turn on my computer xfce loads up fine it ain't gonna die and nobody will force me to upgrade lol

MATE is just as lightweight but has more functionality.

X nowadays is just a framebuffer/input handler (with several bugs and limitations), no modern DE uses any of its APIs anymore. Nobody's gotta waste time working around X forever, but it won't die overnight

Mate is utter shit compared to Xfce.
>just as light
It isn't.

I use Plasma at home, and I was using it for a bit at work, but Kubuntu had audio problems with certain DAWs, and adding low-latency kernels didn't help, so I switched to Ubuntu Studio.
After installing a global menu in the top panel, installing Docky, and downloading a few themes, I was able to make it work pretty similarly to my current Plasma layout. Not perfect, but pretty great.
I don't know if I'd want to switch to XFCE for gaming or laptop computing, but I can edit audio and video with it no problem. Very flexible and productive DE.

>delicious usenet copypasta

480mb booted and still looks nice-enough. I'll probably never use anything else.

>still looks nice-enough
Totally. Add the right wallpaper, a touch of transparency, a few shadows, the right workspace and icon theme... XFCE can literally be beautiful. The only real visible part of an operating is a bar that takes up less than 3% of your desktop. That, and everything else (fonts, window borders, file manager) are all directly related to the user's taste. If someone thinks XFCE is ugly, it means they suck at decorating their own desktop.

I'd ask the same thing about LXDE/LXQT. I don't know anyone who uses Lubuntu. MX Linux uses XFCE, and that OS is a rising star. As long as a wildly popular project uses a DE, there will be people that want to make it work

guyz why not use LXDE

>GTK3
depreciated

xfce dead in early 1980's

I use xubuntu but that's because it's a 10 year old machine .

based

It's not dead, it's "mature"

works on my machine
I have no desire for extra features.

LOL.
"XFCE: A boomer, by boomers, FOR boomers."

Just because it doesn't add new features every second doesn't mean it's dead.

i don't give a fuck if it's dead, I'll still use it till the sun burns out.
That OS looks comfy. What's the main draw/function?

My bug report got fixed within a few days and is in process to be upstreamed, so, no.

Its just another systemd-less Debian fork

You are fucking autistic.
Don't install GNU/Linux if you don't have my IQ

>2019
>still can’t use super to open the menu without breaking other shortcuts using super or resorting to ugly hacks

do you rike being morrested by tbetan monks

What the hell are you talking about?

I like XFCE because it isn't a gimmick, it's meant to be medicore unlike Plasma, and Unity, Cinnamon which all have really good features with equal trade offs.

XFCE is well rounded shit because it doesn't raise expectations.

Attached: 1550638936113.jpg (750x729, 125K)

It's already feature complete, so who cares?

You can’t set the shortcut to open the xfce menu to super without fucking up other shortcuts that use super as a modifier

I like XFCE because it's so fucking simple. No stupid shit like in Gnome.

Xfeces has been dead for several years now.

xfce4-panel is absolute garbage to configure.

it doesn't have the ability to snap windows, or the ability to drag a maximized window to minimized state. Something I have grown accustomed too.

It's not dead
Just nearly complete
There's not a lot left to improve really

I think it only needs to be ported to Wayland and that's about it.

just rebind it? xfce makes it easy to do

Attached: However it doesn't eggs.jpg (345x396, 94K)

The only thing they need to do is finish porting to gtk3, fix the bugs and abandon half their software. Seriously, there's no reason to waste time developing their shitty media players when they can easily swap them out for audacious+mpv. Also, add a proper default app for file-type picker instead of just limiting it to browser/email/terminal/file manager.

Literally not an issue. All shortcuts will continue to work fine, it'll just open the menu first. You can easily rebind shit in the keyboard settings, Linux is literally the easiest OS to do this on.

Will porting it to gtk3 make it work on Wayland?

>The only thing they need to do is finish porting to gtk3
Who the fuck in their right mind actually wants this shit? GTK3 is slower than WINDOWS. Fucking WINDOWS.

GTK3 is not slow, that's just Gnome.

MATE was fucking buggy last time I checked, too.

I'm sure you have actual evidence to back up how 'This graphical toolkit is slower than an operating system"

Since nvidia does not support wayland we won't see consumers adopting wayland. It has been 3 years and there has been literally zero development going on.

Maybe in around 15 years you will see Eayland be the default.

It's not. Gtk3 is just C. GNOME is slow because 90% of it is made in JavaScript and Python.

>3 years
Wayland is 10 years old.

Will 4.14 fix the bug where when you drag a window button on the panel, the whisker menu icon vanishes?

Post a video of this. I literally can't recreate this bug.

Same. Ubuntu MATE specifically. It always visually glitched when resizing windows and opening the downloads folder from within Firefox froze the whole system. This thing was an issue for over a year and idk if they fixed it yet.

Deepin is god tier everything else is shit

>Post a video of this. I literally can't recreate this bug.
Don't know how. Here's a series of screenshots instead. Currently on Xubuntu, but I've had this happen across multiple distros.

1 - Mouse pointer near panel.
2 - Mouse pointer over window button.
3 - Click+hold on window button, then move mouse to drag. Whisker menu icon vanishes.
4 - Release mouse click. Whisker menu icon still gone.
5 - Hover over missing whisker menu icon. Whisker menu icon re-appears.

Attached: xfce.png (750x1000, 545K)

yeah yeah /geniuses against the only and the most quality WM for new comers.
absolute state.

Attached: 1512756303078.png (1200x1200, 484K)

With Strange eons even death may die

It's just you. I literally just tested on all 3 of my machines. Mint Xfce works fine, Xubuntu works fine (see gif). I don't know why that would happen, I even tried enabling window button labels but it still works fine. Did you make any changes to the panel or install any addons? Are you on latest Xubuntu or the LTS?

Attached: Peek 2019-02-24 01-28.gif (498x259, 63K)

Haven't made any changes to the panel. Also, I'm on 16.04 LTS.

I had this problem when I used to use Arch about a year or so ago though, and given how infrequently Xfce gets updated, the version of Xfce I was using then was probably the same as the current stable version, so I'm not sure me being on LTS has anything to do with it.

Could it possibly be something to do with my graphics drivers? I have an Nvidia card and use the proprietary driver.

>16.04
Why aren't you on 18 (also LTS)? It might be an old bug in which case don't expect the fix to be ported to 16. I'm not 100% sure which packages are kept up to date on LTS releases.
>Nvidia card
It could be, I'm not sure. I don't have a PC with an nVidia GPU to check. You can try booting with integrated graphics if your CPU has it to check if it happens on Intel/AMD.

you can definitely polish a turd
it's true

The Drowned God told you so?

Uh..
>Core developers
>Andrzej Radecki
>Eric Koegel
>Harald Judt
>Landry Breuil
>Nick Schermer
>Olivier Fourdan
>Sean Davis
>Simon Steinbeiß
>Peter de Ridder

>Active contributors
>Jannis Pohlmann
>Mike Massonnet
>Silvio Knizek
>Steve Dodier-Lazaro
>Yves-Alexis Perez
>Guido Berhoerster

I don't think so, see blog.xfce.org/

>>Why aren't you on 18 (also LTS)?
Partly laziness. Last time I tried doing a dist-upgrade on *buntu, I ended up with a completely broken system forcing me to do a complete reinstall. As a result, I don't trust dist-upgrade to work so to be on the safe side, if I were to upgrade this system, I would just do a fresh install so I know nothing will go wrong.

The other reason is that I didn't really even want to be on Xubuntu in the first place, and I don't want to keep using it (but again, I've been too lazy to switch to something else). The reason I ended up on Xubuntu in the first place was because I decided to do a reinstall of Arch for some stupid reason (everything was working fine, there was absolutely no need to do it), but after formatting my hard drive and trying to use the install media I discovered that for some reason I just couldn't get an internet connection, and thus couldn't install Arch. I had no idea what the problem was and Google was of no help at all, so I just thought "fuck it, I'll use Xubuntu for now".

I think I now know what was stopping me from getting an internet connection on the Arch install media though. I believe the update to Network Manager described here was the cause:
askubuntu.com/questions/902992/ubuntu-gnome-17-04-wi-fi-not-working-mac-address-keeps-changing/905019
(I confirmed that this feature caused my wireless adapter to break.)

Also
>You can try booting with integrated graphics if your CPU has it to check if it happens on Intel/AMD.
I don't have integrated graphics so this isn't an option, unfortunately.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/xfce4-panel/ bug/1397095