Decide to try out linux just because a few people on a korean smoke signal network told me to

>decide to try out linux just because a few people on a korean smoke signal network told me to
>google about linux distros for noobs
>decide on xubuntu
>download
>mfw 1.3GB, sure beats Win10 1809's 5GB
>write to flash drive, reboot PC
>see an option to try it out before i install
>think "pretty cool", click it
>even with the tiny size, comes with more useful stuff than windows
>check the task manager
>mfw less than 0.5GB RAM used idle (windows 10 used over 2GB) on an 8GB RAM system
>apt is so much better than just hunting down random installers from the internet
>amazing OS
About to install it right now, thanks Jow Forums. I see posts on here all the time about how Jow Forums convinced them to switch to Linux and it's terrible, just remember that people are more likely to talk about bad experiences than good ones. Will take me a while to get used to new ways of doing things (especially the 1024/1000 byte thing) but that's just part and parcel of trying something new.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-23_15-46-43.png (1920x1080, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/
launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/ archive/ubuntu/experimental
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/arc-theme
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/65.0/
bpaste.net/raw/aff2787a03b3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good. now install debian with xfce. disregard gentoo memes.

I've been on Solus Budgie for about a week and, in my experience the most important tools you need are your first-string brain and your Mark 1 eyeballs. A little thinking and looking go a long way to solving problems.

fuck off kevin

>Xubuntu
Install Mint Xfce. It's far more polished and stable.

Glad to see your opinion, and that you found a system you like.

>I see posts on here all the time about how Jow Forums convinced them to switch to Linux and it's terrible

I used to be the kind of dumbass who whined about Linucc being bad(luckily most of that disappeared in the abyss, because that was retarded of me to write such idiocy). I can tell from my own experience and "research" on anime forums and plebbit, the biggest reasons why people don't like it, from most common:

1. Being a brainlet.

2. Trying to force M$ Downdows paradigms onto Linux. Most commonly, it's about looking for an .exe/.msi installer, instead of grabbing the program from repository.

3. Some specific software doesn't support Linuxx.

4. Some specific hardware doesn't support Linuxx or isn't supported by Linuxx.

5. Being a shill and/or fanboy.

Our lord savior Richard Stallman said himself, that normal users shouldn't install the system, instead they should use help of someone who knows how to do it. However, in my anecdotal data, it's much rarer than other issues, that people have trouble installing it.

I mean, Linux seems great for shitposters.

>Mint
>polished
Enjoy your hobbyist FrankenDebian

Install something without apt, its a slow piece of shit.

Try opensuse maybe, idk.

nice! glad for you. do you experience any screen tearing?

Enjoy your comfy Linux experience

Firefox is your actual OS, not Linux.

i don't think you're actually doing it but if you are have fun. looking stuff up will be one of many valuable skills you'll learn.

It's a good starter thing to ease into it. But the amount of bloat it comes padded with counters the fact that you're using XFCE.

Only in Firefox. Why do you ask?

I keep hearing that Mint is a FrankenDebian but I have never seen proofs of it.

>random installers from the internet
How are this fucking stupid dumb retarded nigger holy shit

It's true, actually.

All of the mint distros come with bits of each other in them, alot that's never even used by the current DE/system.

Mint is like the thousand different blink browsers out there. Just a branding change and some renaming, maybe a few GUI element swaps but that's it.

it's a very common problem with Xfce, unfortunately
duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/

oh fugg, markdown formatting doesn't work that way

Void linux is better.

>decide on xubuntu
good choice

you might want to get xfwm 4.13
launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/ archive/ubuntu/experimental

>All of the mint distros come with bits of each other in them, alot that's never even used by the current DE/system.
Proofs?

debian is the biggest meme

i miss kevin

I installed Arch with the Architect installer years ago after constant frustration with windows and I haven't looked back. The only problem I've personally had is needing packages outside of my distro but luckily Bedrock has me covered and I'm migrating to it as soon as my new PC comes in.

also apt install arc-theme
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/arc-theme
and replace cdrkit with cdrtools if you burn cds

Be that as it may, IT JUST WERKZ.

welcome to the realm of linux, bro

Attached: 1538433329681.png (250x250, 96K)

doesn't aur have every package imaginable?

>Only in Firefox
there is no tearing in FF as of months now
what's the gpu?

no faggot
use the newest xfwm
also tearing is not an xfce problem per se

Welcome to the distro war, bro.

They have a lot of shit "mostly" covered. A lot of the packages are really hacked out and run like shit. Some projects are outright ignored. Instead of constant failure trying to tie together barely functioning packages I'm going with the shotgun approach. When I learned about Bedrock it felt like a religious experience.

macOS-Linux reporting in

OP here, FF tearing is gone now that I actually installed and updated - I'm using 18.04 so that version of FF is from that time

ye idk if it was FF or mesa or what but there's none now with scrolling
for video you may have tearing in windowed but shouldn't have it in FS
you can also use mozilla's FF which can auto update itself like in windows
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/65.0/

hey op since you're a new fag, do you browse instagrem? put that in ~/.local/bin/ig.sh
:^)

see here cos spam
bpaste.net/raw/aff2787a03b3

pro tip, to stream video do mpv -- $(xsel -b)

Xubuntu is a solid choice. Have fun user

one day you'll switch to gentoo, young user

>i miss kevin
he's still around, but he switched to a mac

>$(xsel -b)
that's actually pretty neat

Good now enjoy all of the programs you know and love not working kid

>Xubuntu
based
good choice

literally what program do you need to "hunt down random installers" for

are you even aware what the "used idle ram" is actually used for, or do you just assume it's "not free ram = bad"

Attached: what the fuck.png (419x594, 270K)

what is a shitty-laptop-friendly linux build that's still easy for a grandma to use? she mostly just needs a browser like chrome and for it to not kill itself trying to update constantly (fucking win10). laptop is some old hp consumer shit with an amd e-series dualcore (think like 2012 or so). laptop is is decent shape, she barely uses it since it's so crap to begin with.

i may end up buying her a chromebook anyway but she'd rather just use what she bought.

neverware cloudready

>are you even aware what the "used idle ram" is actually used for, or do you just assume it's "not free ram = bad"
ram used for caching != used idle ram

the more ram freed from the OS, the more ram available for image and video editing

you can also put it in a .desktop or a shortcut

This. Many people only use the browser on PC. Chrome OS works because Chrome doesn't matter what it run on.

gnome so either ubuntu or fedora with xorg

>mfw less than 0.5GB RAM used idle (windows 10 used over 2GB) on an 8GB RAM system
Oh man linux is absolutely fantastic for old computers because of this.

A debian install with lxqt (the best lightweight, but still good looking desktop environment ) uses about 160MB of RAM at idle.

With a more minimal interface, say dwm, i3, fvwm, instead of lxqt you can basically stay at or under 100MB of RAM at idle, it's fantastic.

I sync some code projects and my browser profiles to ramdisk, since linux uses less ram, so I have more ram for useful stuff.
Can't do this on winbloat

based LXDE gives you 128 mb

pre-caching applications for quicker startup uses ram and is reported as "used". the system will eventually free it if the pre-cached application is not used

>video editing with 8GB in 2019

Welcome and good luck. Please ignore the highly opinionated and unasked for comments you see above. You'll want to apply this thought to pretty much every aspect of the Linux community. It's a great operating system, but there's a million different warring factions that do little more than shoot themselves in the foot. Do what you want with Linux, that's where the freedom lies. These ranting, blue-in-the-face idiots seek only to justify themselves to somebody. All of the true brain power in the Linux community is working silently on making Linux the best OS.

>Mint
Shit tier distro

LXDE is buggy
Go with xfce

good to know. i use manjaro wih a windows partition as well but i dont boot it that much. honestly im really have with manjaros performance

>the best lightweight, but still good looking desktop environment
that's xfce

>LXDE is buggy
what is?

The file manager

what's buggy about it

The fact that EVERY thread where someone jumps into Linux is met by "hurr should've gotten X instead" makes me not want to try it at all.
That, and "it just werks" given as a reason to try Linux, while a lot of shit that's plug and play on Windows require workarounds on Linux.

I just saved two old shit Vista machines including the ded dell laptop I'm typing this on. I used Mint 19.1 because newfag and it's flawless so far for what I need to do.

Don’t listen to the memes. Linux Mint with Cinnamon is the best choice for a just works out of the box experience, but any flavour of Ubuntu or Mint is fine really. Sure you can get a better setup with something like Arch or Debian and setting everything up yourself, but don’t jump into that right away.

Install Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE)

Fuck it, might as well try it like OP. If only to see how much does work out of the box, and how much faster normal usage (non-gaming) is. Windows can be such a cunt for everything except for gaming.

That's why I mentioned:
>but still good looking

LXDE uses less, but goddamn I can't make it look halfway to decent.

XFCE would be at least 200MB.

lxqt from the minimal install is something like 150MB. lxde when I tried it was 130MB or 140MB I can't remember, so nope. Maybe a very minimal install of XFCE? Definitely without the logon window for example.

stop your retarded comments - there is barely any defference in them, exclude other running services

Try saying that when you have a computer with 1GB of RAM.

are you retarded? there are gorilion gtk themes and arc looks the same everywhere

you're in luck i do

The proof is trivial and left as an exercise to the reader.

>not recommending based mx and void with xfce, both nsaystem-d free

Nerve mind my post at
I made a comparison with XFCE some time ago but forgot the results, still, 10MB more.

Attached: cmp2.png (3364x1418, 126K)

And if I may add one thing(not that guy), it's the following

People are unwilling to adapt to a different way of doing things, even if the new way is better

They might be scared of change or just not as technologically skilled

>still, 10MB more.
if you don't start the power manager or something like that it may be less
lxde don't have things like that

debian is a bad average-user OS and you know it
t. use debian but deal with normie tech for a living
xubuntu is more than acceptable, glad you like it OP

linux the most based OS hands down

Attached: 2019-02-23_18-57.png (1600x900, 212K)

Save yourself the time and just install vanilla Arch. you'll never want or have to distro hop again

I don't know, I just don't like the start bar on lxde, if I could change that it probably could look pretty nice.

Linux is a kernel, nothing more and nothing less. It's the piece of software that interfaces between the hardware of your computer and other software running on your OS

>Xfce
>not Mint
Enjoy your tearing.

By that logic Ubuntu is even more shit, and Debian is even worse.

I installed xubuntu on my mothers laptop because i couldn't be fucked with "i think the pc has a virus?"

it has auto updates and so far (3+ years) haven't had any complaints.

you don't have to start lxpanel, you could use tint2

>implying Xfce
enjoy your garbage DE regardless

okay then don’t use it then

Attached: 2019-02-23_19-09.png (1331x293, 65K)

Cool story.

Trovalds before the cuckening

Proper package managers and a terminal emulator or command line that doesn't suck ass are the two biggest things I miss every time I have to work in a Windows environment.

It's always this ongoing struggle to hook up Windows tooling to simulate the Linux experience.

It's worth it though, if you're forced to use Windows for whatever reason.

Yes Deb and Ubuntu are shit

As someone who's tried Arch and Ubuntu, I must corroborate the fact that Xubuntu is quite based.

what is a smoke signal network?

>the only good DE other than KDE
>garbage
Kill yourself.

But it is garbage. Among other flaws, it still needs to use a third-party compositor to get rid of the tearing.

>xubuntu
NIGGER GET A DISTRO WITH KDE OR GNOME

>he doesn't use IP over smoke