What batteries does Jow Forums use in their UPS when the original ones kick the bucket?

What batteries does Jow Forums use in their UPS when the original ones kick the bucket?

Attached: bat.png (334x398, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

powertechsystems.eu/home/tech-corner/lead-acid-battery-downsides/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The cheapest from a good seller. They're all nearly the same performance-wise.

>They're all nearly the same performance-wise.

What about LiFePO4 batteries? I'm tempted as fuck to get that rather than having to replace Pb batteries every 5 years.

Attached: LiFePO4.png (1004x631, 452K)

Well, I'd be leery about the drop-in replacements because the original UPS wasn't designed to recharge Li batteries. I'm sure this has been accounted for in the design of the retrofit(hopefully). But, for all the advantages of the LiFePO4, they really don't apply to the UPS. The UPS only kicks in in rare circumstances. You're not regularly discharging it or putting it through complete discharge-recharge cycles. Weight savings are probably not a concern. Also, they are considerably more expensive. You can replace your Lead-acid 7 times for every one LiFePO4. The battery you have in your pic has less capacity than the lead acid battery, which seems dumb since one of the benefits of the Li batteries is higher energy density.

AGM

>The battery you have in your pic has less capacity than the lead acid battery,

You can't discharge lead batteries past 50% without doing damage to them. So it's really 4.5Ah vs 7.2Ah for usable capacity.

>10 minutes vs. 20 minutes
The UPS isn't designed to power things long term. They are designed to be a bridge between power loss and generators kicking in, or smoothing a brownout or spike. In addition, they allow a graceful shutdown after a predetermined amount of time. You should be looking for other solutions if you need extended runtime.

We use the new batteries that come inside our new replacement UPS.

I never understood why businesses do this

Because replacing them is a pain in the ass. We have like 100 workstations and 10+ inhouse servers. We could either order a fuckload of batteries, then spend a fuckload of time breaking replacing them all, testing they work, testing they are all surviving their initial charge/discharge, etc. or We could just order 120 new units, deploy them in an afternoon, and send back any that don't work, saving any leftover as spares.

Paying IT people who are already overburdened to spend days doing battery rewiring is stupid. Especially considering not every IT department is even going to have someone with that skillset.

Plus we need to find shit to blow our facilities and equip budget on or they'll cut it.

The amp hour rating means the battery's cells output voltage is brought to the lowest voltage possible without damaging the cells. This:
>So it's really 4.5Ah vs 7.2Ah for usable capacity
is wrong.

>laziness
>waste money so our budget doesn't shrink
Sounds about right.

>with that skillset
Turning a screwdriver
Unplugging the cables
Plugging in the cables
Screwing in cover
Charge the battery
Running it down with a few 100W bulbs for 5 minutes

Why do we pay IT above minimum wage again?

>The amp hour rating means the battery's cells output voltage is brought to the lowest voltage possible without damaging the cells

No, it's when the voltage plummets. You're confusing it with cut off voltage.

powertechsystems.eu/home/tech-corner/lead-acid-battery-downsides/

Sounds like you have it easy. The rackmount units I replace batteries in are almost glued together and to get to the battery you have to go through the high voltage area. And the fans die so fucking often.

I went and got two agm deep cycles and just wired them up for the UPS. I now have at least a good 3 hours of shut down time.

The battery in my 2010 cyberpower ups still works. I can unplug it from the wall and my stuff stays on for like 15min so that's plenty.

the batteries have their own internal charging circuit, it says so right in the description

Unless it was designed for lithium based batteries, I would not put them in. UPS units designed for SLA batteries have a higher float voltage that SLA batteries like. Lithium batteries are known to overcharge and fail with this float voltage. If you can adjust this float voltage, some let you, then go for it, if not, then the new lithium battery won't last a tenth as long on standby as a SLA will in that unit.

>UPS units designed for SLA batteries have a higher float voltage that SLA batteries like.
Wat?

SLA float voltage is 13.5V to 13.8V so that's
3.375V to 3.45V per cell. LiFePO4 charge up to 3.65V per cell or 14.6V for the battery. This is high enough to use them as replacement for starter batteries that charge at 14.2V to 14.4V.

Attached: 1279927682338.jpg (224x251, 8K)

How big?

If I'm using a laptop as a desktop replacement, is there any advantage to pulling the laptop battery and using a UPS instead?
I assume it's probably cheaper than killing your battery, but does it also protect the hardware in ways a battery wouldn't?

It can keep powering your external hard drives/monitor/printer/modem/etc
It's easier to get than a laptop battery replacement
Hackable with a larger battery (if you downrate the max rating by 50-25% or add better cooling)

I dunno man, it sounds real simple when you have only one rack running in your mum's basement. But you're right.