Crappy old netbook

need an OS for my ancient netbook to give it purpose again

the specs:
intel atom N270 @ 1.6ghz (1 core) (it is i386)
1gb of ram (ddr2)
160gb hdd

linux is too bloated, and freebsd is pretty much the same after you install and enable all the linuxisms needed for a desktop

suggestions for an OS? i want to keep acceleration for the gpu if possible
i hear battery power is really bad on the bsds in general though..

Attached: Buy Dell Inspiron Mini 1011 Netbook review.jpg (500x421, 40K)

are so many of you on modern zoomer gaming builds that no one really knows geez
ill just go with openbsd

windows xp or something

How is Linux too bloated? What have you tried? Lite Linux might be a good candidate, or try something like a Debian minimal install.

Lubuntu
Proton
Puppylinux

puppy or dsl is the way to go

>linux is too bloated
I run debian sid on one of those exact same shits. Of course, you shouldn't go for one of the largehueg DEs, but that's basically it. Go for the minimal netinstall and build your system up. Then again, if you think you're going to do more with it than use it as IRC terminal or something similar lightweight you're in for a lot of waiting for things.

xubuntu should do fine

I a have N150 plus. Added a cheap SSD and upgraded the ram to 2gb. Lubuntu is the way to go.

I use my eee 901 with the same spec as a torrent machine, running vpn + torrent client
but that's pretty much all you should expect to get from it to be honest

I wonder how many of those are still around. Every time I stumble over another 901 or 1000H I'm amazed how they're basically indestructible. They were (IBM) thinkpad levels of sturdy and great tinker machines.

Tinycore

This or puppy. I used to have a emachines netbook with specs like yours with Xubuntu. That'll do the job.

>Linux is too bloated
Try Xubuntu or anything else with XFCE. I'm running it on a shitbox not too different from yours. It uses like 120 MB at idle.

Unironically install OpenBSD shit will work great!

>x61t does not read usb on boot
fucking kill me

Put chrome OS or that one OS that's just straight android. I forget the name.

Funny enough, I have 2 netbooks with Atom N270 CPUs & both have 2 GB of RAM.

However, one has an HDD & the other, an SSD. Needless to say, the unit with the SSD runs much faster. However, with the way websites are designed now, modern web browsing (which was what netbooks were originally designed to do) is still pretty slow; netbooks are only suited for leaner websites now & can't even browse YouTube properly.

As for the OS, I'm using Xubuntu on both. Puppy will run faster than Xubuntu, however.

>linux
>too bloated

Linux? Bloated? Fucking bait.

Just install Gentoo.

>GMA 950
>GPU
>Acceleration

I'd laugh if the joke wasn't so sad.

>ask for help, because too dumb to figure out solution
>go on to insult everyone here after less than an hour
yeah you can go suck a dick until you learn some people skills, cunt.

Attached: wqtonw09bbi21.jpg (480x360, 8K)

Upgraded ram to 2 FBI and hard drive to sad, install debian, runs like a dream. If all else fails try minix.

Toss it in the trash, then toss yourself out a high story window.

install alpine linux

Unironically Lubuntu is the OS of choice.

GMA 950 is a graphics decelerator but it's still faster than compositing the desktop on an Atom N270.