I'm getting back into programming by reteaching myself Java

I'm getting back into programming by reteaching myself Java

What's the most accessible IDE out there for someone who'll primarily be using Java?

Attached: JavaIDEs.png (400x400, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't do that

IntelliJ is the best and if you disagree you're wrong.

emacs -nw with eclipse server for advanced stuff

IntelliJ was decent last I used it.

Intellij is the best. Wish i had switched sooner. Eclipse is probably the worst piece of software I've ever used.
BlueJ isn't necessarily bad, but it's extremely basic. Good if you're just starting out.

vi

No. Vim.

No. Neovim.

Intellij is the best.

Netbeans is good too. Don't use netbeans 8 though, it's fucking ancient. Apache foundation took over from oracle and they put out netbeans 9 and 10.

Eclipse is being a jew in 1939 Deutschland levels of fucked. Steer clear.

I hope you have a good autocomplete plugin.

If you're looking to get a job as a Java programmer without any prior experience in Java you're going to find it really hard to get any work. This only applies if you're in the West, but if you're anywhere else then go ahead. Otherwise you'll be competing with Java experts in your country and with cheap East European and Asian programmers.

Also, the fact you started a thread on IDEs tells me you won't get far in learning Java. Your IDE means very little while you're learning. A good IDE can only really help you when you working on large projects otherwise which one you use is immaterial. They all do the same thing and are free.

Don't use an IDE, it's bloat.
Vim and macros only.

>most accessible
Probably DrJava, but if you want something useful beyond the learning phase go with IntelliJ IDEA. Eclipse is good too but I prefer IntelliJ IDEA.

Not true at all. A good IDE is the most important thing when it comes to programming. If it has great auto-complete, run configurations, automated building and a great debugger then it is a million times more useful than a CLI.

>If it has great auto-complete, run configurations, automated building and a great debugger then it is a million times more useful than a CLI.
This

Java N-IDE directly on the Android platform code on the go

>Java IDE
>not injecting bytecode directly into the JVM program buffer

No Vis.

Have you tried writing Scala in Emacs as well?

>A good IDE is the most important thing when it comes to programming.
False, being a good programmer is the most important thing.
>If it has great auto-complete, run configurations, automated building and a great debugger then it is a million times more useful than a CLI.
Often times CLI is better and more robust. IDEs are cruths for poor programmers who need the bells and whistles because they lack understanding of the language tooling and libraries. Case in point, point me to any good programmer that uses an IDE: Ken Thompson and Bjarne Stroustrup use Sam; Rob Pike, Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan use Acme; Richard Stallman, Joe Armstrong, Robert Virding, Jeff Dean, Linus Torvalds, Simon Peyton Jones use Emacs.

Scala is good in emacs with ensime. Apparently scala 3 will have its own language server as well which makes it easier to create plugins.

>Java
do the needful sir

Attached: 1535625549398.jpg (479x587, 107K)

i don't want to say the ide is the most important part, but most of those programmers are old as fuck and started coding like 40 years ago. you'd have to use people who started coding in the 90s at least as an example. and even in the 90s, ides weren't that significant

the tooling can be really important. integrating tests, linters etc. people who dismiss ide (or coding fundamentals) are both retarded. it's likes using a gui to move around in the computer: for some tasks a mouse is better, for others it's a keyboard, and you need to use both well at the right time

I'm learning too and I don't understand intellij with auto complete and what projects are

IDEA

Failing that, VSCode

intellij

Java in emacs is pretty fun (you can do this on vim too (look for eclim))
Probably hardest thing for this luxury is to learn using command line debugger
Which isn't a bad thing

And no, I haven't even tried scala

>integrating tests, linters etc.
You don't need an IDE for tests and linting. Main stream languages already provide better tooling than what you would get with an IDE.

It's also easier to do dev work inside a virtual machine because your environment barely changes, while it is more cumbersome to use an IDE for such a use case.

Intellij IDEA is the best. Yes, it eats a lot of RAM but I don't give a fuck because it offers so much more in return.

why don't you try them and see for yourself? to my knowledge all of those are free.

What are some good learning resources for someone with 0 background in programming? currently reading java: a beginner's guide

IntelliJ no contest.

Have you ever used a visual debugger before? That’s literally all you need to switch to using an IDE and if you dare say gdb is just as fast once you learn it then kill yourself because there is no one on earth who agrees.

IntelliJ but if you are programming purely to learn then don't use an IDE

this. anyone saying anything else is objectively wrong.

Eclipse if you're not getting sponsored intellij ultimate and you need aspectJ

learn c++ instead faggot. Stay away from anything related to Oracle

I havr intelliJ, NetBeans, blueJ and Android studio and I have to say NetBeans is the best.
IntelliJ takes decades to load, blueJ is literal babby tier, I never use android studio. Netbeans is just right.

i never said you did, i said it integrated them which made it easier/faster to fire them up while you develop.

>What is OpenJDK

>What is abandonware

>OpenJDK is the reference implementation of the most widely used programming language
>abandonware

>updated 15 hours ago
hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk

No, Kakoune.

>Any good programmer that uses an IDE
Any employed programmer working with JAVA.

Your almost-trips of truth are a sign that you're speaking the almost-truth. Visual debuggers are GOAT. That's why I use an IDE pretty much only when a problem isn't immediately solvable with printf debugging.

IntelliJ

there are IDE languages like Java. They're too verbose and generally a pain in the dick without a proper IDE.

Good luck working with any, and i mean ANY, library code out of the box without code hinting. "Muh java in text editor" is a completely retard stance to hold.

For languages like C, however, I agree that you're going to learn more and become better at it the less help you use.

I had a a horrible time trying to get sbt to pull jars from s3, gave up and defaulted to maven, only to have ensime consume 100% cpu
Pretty disappointed desu, really wanted to make it work, but I didn't feel it with scala anyway, I'll join another team

IntelliJ if you have a decently powerful computer.

If you need to to GUI stuff, use Netbeans. Otherwise, just stick with Notepad++ and the command line.

ED is the standard editor. Everything else is bloat.

No. SPACEVIM.