Does a fucking heatsink on an ssd even do anything

does a fucking heatsink on an ssd even do anything

Attached: 3CF041D9-F7A6-4FD3-8B10-FBA86AC0E9AC.jpg (1200x800, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KzSIfxHppPY&t=6m15s
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11155731/13m-lawsuit-proves-Red-Bull-doesnt-give-you-wings.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it's a bad heatsink it will hurt the SSD's lifespan. If it's a good one it can help with throttling, which shouldn't happen unless you do longer than average writes (for a regular desktop user).

If you get a good one that cools the controller with your motherboard you should use it, if you get a bad one throw it out the window. Buying one if you don't actually do a lot of heavy work on the SSD is a waste of money.

Cool the controller, but not the modules

>does a fucking heatsink on an ssd even do anything
It stabilizes the rate of temperature change of the attached material.

Your NAND likes to be warm but your controller doesn’t so it’s a double edged sword and your controller can get fucking hot

>hurt the SSD's lifespan
how

>SSD
lmaoing at your life

It sinks heat.

youtube.com/watch?v=KzSIfxHppPY&t=6m15s

So basically, the makers of the heatsink are retarded.

Oh yes please tell us about how you enjoy your stupidly unresponsive HDDs

What if i have a AMD housefire blowing on it

Gotta step up with the big boys OP

Attached: Frostbit.png (637x476, 410K)

this small heat spreader that comes with my motherboard won't damage my SSD will it? my SSD doesn't see a lot of writes.

(pic 1 of 2)

Attached: AM4M2_left.png (1993x1476, 381K)

(pic 2 of 2)

Attached: msi-x370_xpower_gaming_te-storage-hero-1920.jpg (1920x900, 286K)

For the size of those things they look like pointless little bastards at best and a detriment at worst

thanks for the input, user. I'll be removing it

Yes they work, but you need active air flow. Problem is, most motherboards/cases don't have air flow over RAM. You need to get a RAM fan too.

Heatsink makers and ssd makers don't really overlap

When did RAM came into topic? These are M.2 SSD heatsinks

They look better, bout it.

They do sometimes and the results are well... pic related

Seriously though real useful heatsinks are used on SSDs quite alot in the more enterprise/professional space where the SSDs are themselves quite faster and are expected to be under heavy loads for much longer

Attached: apacer_commando_ssd-100737154-large.jpg (700x467, 64K)

IIRC steve from gn proved them to be a detrimental heat trap. You are better off not using them and just having good air flow in your case.

So basically both RAM and M.2 heatsinks are a meme.

Sells them to idiots

Attached: iu.jpg (1280x960, 77K)

Attached: p90.jpg (600x301, 32K)

Not as bad as Intel furnace I suppose.

Keep the controller cool so it can work harder.

I meant my radeon vii dumping heat onto it under load, gets up to 70c

The flat ones are bad. But anything with fins will actually help.
You can get these copper plate cut out to size with fins from China that actually help for a couple bucks. They usually come with a mediocre thermal pad and rubber bands to secure it on.

I got one for a cheap NVMe SSD/mobo combo that didn't have one at all and it helped the under load temps by around 10C (from high 40's to high 30's) as the front fan blows right over the fins.

Attached: file.png (800x800, 297K)

Stop buying cheap gamer boards with bad layouts? This is a problem with any non-blower GPU if your motherboard has the slot right under it. Mine is over the first PCIe slot and second one is several PCIe slots down.

It's actually supposed to be a M16 carry handle / sight I think.

Attached: 130708-004-FA77063E.jpg (550x240, 11K)

Its the only board i could get at the time
when x570 comes out I'll get one of those

>Dual heatpipe
>it's just one long bent heatpipe
Do you think I could sue?

Attached: PwleOVd0jGoN35p7.jpg (1156x474, 120K)

>High speed M.2 SSD!!!!!
>950 PRO
Kek

I think MSI was just referring to NVMe sequential rw speeds in general.

whats wrong with your fonts user

There are some that are super pleasing asthetically.

Attached: E5F2A07C-14D9-44D9-8029-EA04ED5B9AA7.jpg (663x425, 145K)

it's a picture, not locally rendered fonts

Jow Forumsfag here. That is representative of an A2 receiver group due to the elevation knob at the rear below the windage screw.

fuck thats awful then

I'm certain you can, see related:
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11155731/13m-lawsuit-proves-Red-Bull-doesnt-give-you-wings.html

This is one of the shit ones. Don't use it.

if they only hit the controller, they are good, nand wants to be hot.

However, for a normal nvme, it takes around 70-120gb of constant read/write at full speed for it to heat up to a throttle, so largely they are worthless.

at one point in time, they were useful because the chips were overheating, but anymore, the chops process the data so fast you are almost never going to hit a thermal throttle.

You can overclock RAM.

Yes, good goy, don't cool your components, they will run well anyways and totally not break sooner