Raspberry Pi

I just ordered one of this. What should I expect?

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-Logo1-620x350.png (620x350, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hostnameofyourpi:8000
openwrt.org/toh/start
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

trash if you don't have a very specific plan for it already.

trash even if you have a specific plan for it, buy somethin gbetter

You'll boot it up, play around with the command line for about 15 minutes, then set it aside to permanently gather dust.

Like? I want something cheap.

>I want something cheap.
For what purpose?

Use it to build a Skywire node (Skycoin miner)

Mostly file storage. Maybe streaming media locally, definitely try the Pi-Hole meme.

It's a standard SBC that is not very open (documentation for the main chip is not always available and is not complete or clear, no open source drivers for GPU). But on the plus side there's lots of user documentation and it's commercial friendly in that if you want to base a commercial product on it, you can order large quantities.

Pi-Hole meme is retarded because you can set up DNS directly on your computer to do all of that. As for file storage, media streaming, etc., running off SD card is not ideal, and attaching external USB storage to your Raspberry Pi will be too slow, so Raspberry Pi really isn't the best option. However, for other use cases it is a good choice.

Which board would you recommend then? Also about the Pj-Hole meme I'm more interested on the network wide ad block, any recommendation?

Honestly not much. It gives the appearance of being useful but with only a gig of memory you can't really do much with it as a general computing device.

That said they make good emulator rigs (depending on what you want to emulate). As someone else said you'll use it for a day or two and throw it in a drawer.

Unless, of course, you're using it as a controller for something. Then they're fun and useful.

just get a NAS. You can get a 4 bay for $200.

Exactly how many times has this question be asked on the Internet?

>Pi-Hole meme is retarded because you can set up DNS directly on your computer to do all of that.
Or, I could run the Pi as my primary DNS at all times for things like my phone, tablet, tv to run through and not waste power (and more importantly money on my power bill) running my tower 24/7.

I'm about to set one up to greet me with "Welcome Home, Batman" when I walk through my door.

It's a complete waste of money, I'm just looking for something to tinker with.

>Which board would you recommend then?
For media streaming: depends on your budget. Low budget: you can just use Raspberry Pi but as I mentioned it's not going to be the smoothest experience and in the price range you won't do much better. Higher budget: you can get something like Nvidia Shield or Intel/Gigabyte NUC for a nice experience. SBCs really aren't ideal for media streaming except if budget is an issue.
>Also about the Pj-Hole meme I'm more interested on the network wide ad block, any recommendation?
If you want network wide ad block then you should install OpenWRT on your router and you can configure it to be a more powerful non-meme solution.

>not waste power
Install OpenWRT on your router and configure it to block ads, that way you won't be wasting power on both your router and a Raspberry Pi...unless you are planning to run your Pi-Hole without a router in which case good luck with that.

OP here. My idea is to use it to start learning C++ or Python. I know I can do this with a "normal" computer but I wanted something with some I/O capabilities to use it to make something fun, while learning some programming language.

Regarding the documentation, the official site has some basic examples on how to use the GPIO's and an introduction to python. And a quick google search reveals more documentation on both C++ and phyton with some basic projects for the Raspberry.

the same number as cocks can be inserted in your mom urethra

Raspberry Pi is perfect for you then because it was literally designed for the use case you are describing and because of its popularity you'll find a massive community online to help you learn and troubleshoot.

I see. It might be a better option using a cheap computer build then.

I use it as a server, it's great for any kind of personal project

I used mine to make a shitty 20yo tv usable, mostly for media and game streaming with Parsec. It's alright with this 720p junk but when I upgrade later this year to something bigger I guess I'm gonna start having performance issues, the parsec video stream already has serious color artifacts (I guess due to h264?). I was looking into something with h265 support like Odroid N2 but it looks like it's not supported by parsec. Might just wait for RPi 4 next year.

Get Libre Renegade 2GB for a server
>Lower power
>Faster
>More RAM
>USB 3.0
>Gigabit NIC

why are people so against using a cheap system to get rid of ads? not everyones router is capable of running openwrt and not every router that is compatible has enough storage to allow for it. a device like the pi-zero or even a regular pi can and will do the trick.

>don't have a router that supports OpenWRT
>have a Pi sitting around
>wouldn't want to install Pi-Hole, that's retarded
>buy whole other router to do what Pi-Hole could have done

expect it to collect dust indefinitely if you don't already have a plan for how you're going to use it

Literally every router can run OpenWRT because OpenWRT is just a Linux based OS for embedded devices

Can someone give me an advice on what to do with one? I've bought one for a [spoiler]minecraft server but the newer versions run like shit[/spoiler] and now I have no use for it.

a raspberry pie if I'm not mistaken

I'm using one for digital signage at work. Just werks.

Cancel it. Arm PC's are trash because the hardware is locked down. This is the worse purchase I've ever made.

why are you lying? that's simply not true.

There are a few reasons worth buy a Raspberry Pi, but be sure to keep your expectations low or at very least modest.
1. It's cheap ($35, but you still need to buy about another $35 worth of accessories so about $70).
2. It's easy to set up (provided you have the accessories to run it the first time to set up all the dumb GUI shit before turning that off and using the command line over SSH and only turning on the GUI when you need it to do stuff using VNC).
3. It's a great platform to learn programming (with exception of C# which requires a who lot of .Net/Mono shit. Also, you'll want to use a text editor other than nano (which sucks) and replace it with Vim/Emacs/NeoVim/etc.)

Over all, it's a great learning computer.

And while there are better computers out there than are about the same size and use more advanced hardware architecture other than ARM, the Raspberry Pi has a relatively easy learning curve and entry point into learning programming and doing computer shit.

If you are looking to do more hardware stuff like electronics or robots, consider Arduino, but it doesn't have the Raspberry Pi's Linux environment. I recommend RASPBIAN, since you can't "install gentoo" or ArchLinux.

You want to do a fun project that involves hardware and retrogaming? Google "Game Boy Zero" or "RetroPie" where you can turn your RPi into a retro video game center and can play pretty much anything except N64/PS2/Xbox on up. (I'm an Oldfag so NES is good enough for me.)

Over all, I would recommend it. Gitgud with computers.

One other thing, be sure to know the difference between a straight and a crossover Eithernet cable. If you want to plug your Raspberry Pi 3B+ into a computer that has a Ethernet port on it. Just for simplicity, get like one of those 6 inch cables and also a crossover adapter such that if you get the wrong cable, you can use the adapter to fix the connection other wise data collision detection with close the connection and it won't work.

The other alternative is to use some kind of Bonjour/Zeroconf/Avahi thing where you use some USB adapter that allows for you to connect the Pi (esp. Pi Zero series) to your computer.

Also, if you get a Pi Zero get the Pi Zero W or Pi Zero WH. (W = Wireless. H = pin headers) If you just get the Pi Zero, you won't be able to connect to it wirelessly.

Is the Pi Zero what a good idea for a smart watch?

More lesson's learned from being a PiFag:

1. LRN2PYTHON - If you can get away with writing Bash Scripts (`.sh`), that's great. But if you really want to get shit done without having to enroll in some CS program PYTHON! Not Python 2, PYTHON 3. While you can still use Python 2 stuff, everyone has been trying to slap people upside the head to do their Python shit in Python 3.

2. LRN2CLI - Linux is all about the Command Line Interface (CLI). Using a GUI on a RPI is for brainlets. The only time you need to use GUI is if you need to access WiFi behind a firewall and it requires you to open a terminal to type in the SSID (network name) and a GUI web browser to get past the firewall. Once you've done all that you can close all that stuff and get back to doing SSH shit.

3. LRN2SSH and LRN2VNC. Assuming you have that short Ethernet Cable and adapter (which if your laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port, you can easily get by with a Ethernet to USB adapter in addition to those two items) you can SSH into the Pi, turn on VNC service on the Pi, run the service which should start X (which is probably another thing you'll need to set up if you want to use i3 instead of Openbox), take care of whatever business you need to get done in the GUI remotely, close it, kill the VNC server, turn off the VNC service. Yeah, it's a lot of complex shit, but it gets the job done.

4. LRN2Zeroconf - I don't know why I need to install Bonjour/Zeroconf/Avahi on the computer that I need to use to connect to the RPi, but for some reason it is needed. Something about mDNS and allowing you to connect to the Pi using `ssh pi@hostnameofyourpi` instead of `ssh [email protected]`. Of course if you are still going to use Ethernet, you'll still want to connect through `ssh [email protected]` or whatever the IP address is for connecting through Ethernet. It's so much easier if you set up the public and private keys so that SSH can log you in automatically instead of asking for your password

No, it is too big. Look around and see if their some kind of Arduino for that.

Oh I'm trying to do a wrist computer

5. LRN2SimpleHTTPServer. Python being the awesome thing that it is (Yeah, I know, there are things that are better) has this one program called SimpleHTTPServer which if you run it in a specific directory, you can pretty much use that as the root to connect to your Pi using HTTP. This means you don't have to run Apache HTTPServer (too much to configure, heavy on the CPU as fuck), or other stuff.

```
cd ~/path/to/web/project/
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000
// then open hostnameofyourpi:8000 in a web browser
```

BOOM, instant website.

I would recommend changing the username from something other than `pi` but for the most part, I'm cool with that.

6. LRN2GIT - Again, this little computer can be a great asset to hold on to your github/gitlab/gitgud shit or to host your own projects. Just clone a repo onto your pi and dev from that.

7. LRN2TMUX - Sort of goes along the lines of point #2, but if you want to GITGUD at CLI, use it like a pro and use a terminal multiplexer. GNU Screen is shit. TMUX is better. run that on top of your SSH session to do more than one thing. Also, figure out how to get 256 colors working. Not just in TMUX but in Linux in general. Generally requires alterning the $TERM setting in one of the Bash dot files (~/.bashrc, I think). And make sure that your TTY program (PuTTY/KiTTY/etc.) has the 256 color settings enabled.

8. LRN2ZSH - Zsh has a ton of shit that makes it better than Bash. It basically installs gentoo in Bash. There's like several configurations for Zsh, Use Zplug.

depends what you want to do with it Ive used pis for a few different project first was a handheld emulation machine inside a gameboy shell, second was as a zeronet node and third ive just added a soic clip for flashing coreboot, they are decent pcs. I wouldn't really doing anything involving hard drives or networking since the wifi/ eth on them is trash and they have usb 2 ports

Where would you put the battery?

Do you even solder bro? :3 (If you do, good.)

Still, the RasPi Zero's power requirements (5V, 1.2A via microUSB) requirements are a bit steep. Not to mention the power needed to run a display shied (e-Ink, LCD or LED) on top of it.

probably (definitely) a dumb question, but I would like to put all my music (around 700GB) on a server (or a cloud or whatever the you call it) so I can listen to it on my laptop (or even phone) wherever I am.
is that doable with a raspberry pi connected to a regular external harddrive?

>another fucking braindead monkey bought a pi without any idea what to do with it

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

I honestly wonder how many of their sales come from Pis that will never be used. I'm sure it's more than half

It's good, I made a robot using one. I plan on buying another one for SDR satellite weather image reception. The good thing about this particular board is that there's a lot of documentation on everything.

dont take up much room tho. They small, cheap, actually (just) powerful enough to Do Some Shit when bored and well supported. Choice between unused pis gathering dust and 12-bay Pentium Towers or some shit, pi is ok choice

dude, you rock! actually took the time to give some useful advice & list some options. i hope others do the same for you all week!

I've seen some tutorials online about setting a barebones computer like the Pi up as a seedbox and just attaching it to external storage so you can seed 24/7 without the power draw of a full tower, but every single one has people complaining in the comments about how slow the Pi is for this sort of thing. Are there other SBCs with more power that can handle this better without going for an actual tower? I know I could always use an old laptop but that's still fairly large and probably draws more with all the fans and such vs. a shitpost on a chip

I use a Pi3B for general browsing. With an SSD cache it does the job reasonably well.

So I have one of the first gen models. Anyone have any recommendations on what to do with something that outdated/slow? Already used it as a RetroPie but got bored with that and just use my PC for that now.

Intel NUC, either the Bean Canyon ones or the latest Pentium/Celeron* ones if you don't want to spend a lot.
Alternatively a refurbished Dell Optiplex.

Or an Odroid XU4 is much more powerful than a Pi.
Or an x86 SBC like the Lattepanda or an Udoo. But an Intel NUC is going to be a better deal.

*NUC7PJYH or NUC7CJYH

Dreampi faggot

How do I go for that? Any decent resources?

Attached: 1548201732509.gif (600x400, 63K)

You should expect to receive a raspberry pi

Good god, I love SDR.
We need a thread entirely dedicated to using it, C#, and that other program that you can use on Rasp Pi...although I would prefer any rasp pi program to use CLI.
There was some program that I saw recently that would use the braile unicode to wing drawing charts for some bitcoin website.

they can emulate PS1 well now

Pi-Hole

I have two and am happy with them. The first I use as a Pi-Hole with Unbound to run a private DNS server with ad filtering for my network. The second I have loaded with Retro Pie and attached to my main TV for emulating old consoles. Both work great for their intended purpose. I'm not sure what I would do with one otherwise, though, as if you want to dick around with Linux or general programming a PC would be better.

this. i used mine for a ps1 emulator for spyro then bought new spyro for my xb1 and now the raspberry pi sits in the cupboard.

That's what happened to mine

Honestly, I don't know about other folks, but I have find having a few SBCs on hand to be really useful. I honestly wish I had a drawer full of them.

are you okay, user? did you take your pills today?

>trash
it's called waste basket on raspbian

Attached: YEP, DAS NUKLEARER HOLOKAUSTعن نفسك بصور.png (440x398, 210K)

I have an idea to buy a thicc keyboard and stuff a Raspberry Pi inside. It's meant to be a modern day microcomputer, imitating the form factor of the Commodore VIC-20, 64, and ZX Spectrum. I was having trouble deciding between using a Pi Zero or a 3B+, but I decided to compromise and get a 3A+ instead. I think it will be thin enough to fit inside the keyboard, and it's cheap enough for me not to worry about sunk cost.

Attached: Commodore-VIC-20-FR.jpg (4600x2600, 2.47M)

retro games emulation

yeah, I was going to use it for a server but I've been putting it off for like two years, this thread reminded me that I still owned a raspberry pi

Totally. RetroPie is where it's at. /diy/ is where it's at!

kys
literally any router can run OpenWRT
pic related

Attached: IMG_2035.jpg (640x1098, 155K)

I wish.

Just because it runs Linux doesn't mean that it will run on anything. Some routers have restricted access to flash memory, and some router chipsets aren't supported. Sure, OpenWRT covers a large portion of them, but it isn't 100% coverage.
openwrt.org/toh/start
If OpenWRT worked on everything, this list wouldn't have to exist.

I bought one because I had a spare TV in a room at work and thought it would be cool to turn it into an extra computer. Unfortunately it's slow as shit. Loading a PDF, for example, takes forever. Slow loading, page by page. It's good for simple browsing though. Another problem is that it uses ARM processor architecture which I don't really understand beyond that some programs for Linux just don't work on it.

Get a load of this fucking retard

Yeah right.. on top of that after you flash your device when you don’t have anymore than 20kb of free space in the flash drive you’re going to do what exactly with the “Linux” advantage

Not him and I like idea of using pi for that. I am against pihole for simple reason - devs are fucking incompetent. I bet it leaks info left and right and has many backdors.

can you use a nas as a seedbox?

Here's a high IQ play kids
>order orangepi from aliexpress for 15 bucks
>flash armbian
>Save 50 bucks

Any suggestions for a small server? I need it to run postgreSQL DB with a small webpage, I imagine 1GB internal + 512MB RAM should be enough, but I'd really prefer internal (eMMC?) over SD card and I don't have too much knowledge on MCUs, basically only found beaglebone black, but it's too expensive to consider (preferable price up to 30$)

Is the rock64 any better? I wanted to try pihole meme and maybe have a small low power torrent seeder.

It's only useful as an average thin client. Lacking GPU drivers really make it barely better than paperweight.
Even IF the now experimental gpu driver finally works, you will not be able to use it without it overheating like a motherfucker. I wanted a cheap RDP client and that thing works ok so long as you don't enable gpu drivers. Black screen and other garbage is the expected result if you want performant rdp/vnc connection with hw acceleration. I could only make it performant by using some arcane HEX code in rdesktop, none of the provided options in any rdp client is fast enough for that shit.

I don't know how anyone can stomach doing graphical shit on it.
I should have gotten a rock64 or that x86 odroid instead, much better specs and drivers.
Yes.

you'll get bored of it really quick

>Yes
How good is it with watching animu or emulating games?

I don't think people buy a RPi for graphics. I bought mine for data processing. And sure, there's a ton of better SBCs out there, but it is defintely an entry level SBC which has the advantage of price and accessibility.

I've seen Raspberry Pi kits sold at Target as e-Toys to kids, but it has applications greater than that.

I would spend more time with Arduino for projects, if I didn't need to find a shop that sold the electronic components needed to do a lot of the projects. It's a lot harder now that there isn't a Radio Shack down the street from my house.

Ordering from Amazon gets boring after a while. It would be nice to go out and meet others rather than talk about it on Jow Forums.

Amazon and Ebay have a lot of con-artists who like to say that using a RPi loaded with Kodi is a good subsitute for a Roku. It's not.
If animu is your thing, you're better off getting a Roku and a Crunchyroll, VRV, and Funimation subscription. Otherwise, there's the old way. (/t/)

Game emulation: Let's explain it in the two categories by Home (full) consoles and Handheld consoles.

In terms of Home consoles, early 5th generation (Atari Jaguar) on down works. Later 5th gen (N64,PSX, Sega Saturn) have issues on Pi 3, but don't appear to work on Pi Zero at all. I attempted to run N64 emulation on an early Pi3 and had issues running games. So defintely go with something else if you are trying to play GoldenEye.

Handhelds: Sixth Gen (GBA) defintely. I don't have any 7th Gen (Nintendo DS/PSP) games but I would imagine their limitations are the same as home consoles from 5th Generation depending on what game you are planning to play.

YMMV

>emulating games
Pi3B will emulate some N64 fine but most won't really work too well.
PSX emulation is fine for the most part.

>watching animu
If you mean just playing media files you downloaded, mostly fine.
Your mileage will vary if it's a webplayer like Crunchyroll.

I'd recommend getting an Odroid or Rock64 over it. Just a lot more power for a very small premium.

Alternatively an x86 Odroid, an Intel NUC, or a refurbished USFF or SFF Dell Optiplex if that's small enough for you.

People who look at specs only fail to understand there is a value to having documentation from thousands or millions of other users who have tried to do what you’re attempting to do and you can learn from their mistakes or issues the firmware may have along with wider and better software support. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel to get something done.

This is the main advantage of Raspberry Pi