/gentoo/ best linux distro general

Gentoo masterrace thread. Talk about the best distro there is. Show off your desktop, discuss wms. Show what you're working on.

Attached: gentoo.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gentoo-CPU-Options-Kernel-2019
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/google-chrome
github.com/perfect7gentleman/pg_overlay/blob/master/www-client/ungoogled-chromium/ungoogled-chromium-72.0.3626.119_pre.ebuild
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/otter/
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/netsurf
gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays/mv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If i don't want to spend a week installing it, can i just install Clover OS? Or will Clover OS automatically make me look like a pedo after everything that was posted here?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gentoo-CPU-Options-Kernel-2019
Is gentoo and optimizations truly just a placebo?

It will make you "look" like an incompetent lazy hack fishing for (You)'s.
Install Gentoo properly, and you will see the reason behind the meme.

Attached: 1523475529045.jpg (500x500, 15K)

This is only talking about Gentoo's kernel patch.
This is but a small part of what Gentoo offers in the way of optimizing your system.

>implying there is a best linux distro
whatever, not worth getting upset about. have fun needing to edit a config file to be able to install a complete package so you can have a 4 second faster bootup speed lol

but it doesn't actually make the system run any faster

>not being the captain of your own ship
Pathetic...

Attached: 1527073802334.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Reasons I do not install Gentoo:
• My hardware is not powerful enough
• I'm not a fucking nerd
• Nobody cares if their software runs on non-Debian distro

It does if you know what you're doing.
I have a pretty cheap shitty laptop, and the same exact software setup ran like a laggy piece of shit on Arch. Now it's like a well-oiled fucking machine, snappy as hell, no unnecessary features I don't need slogging up the works.

Compiling kernel with native vs generic didn't show a meaningful difference. i just finished testing this myself and am compiling libreoffice now so I can make pretty graph about it. Bottom line however was that in 5/6 tests the difference was within margin of error (3 faster 2 slower) and in the only test where there was more than error margin of a difference native was actually slower 99,84±0,08%

I'm not an expert on this shit by any means, but anyone with half a brain on the matter can tell you that raw benchmarks are not the only measure of 'performance', user... There are several other factors that contribute to it overall, such as USE and CPU flags, which isn't exactly a freedom that most other distros afford their users from the ground up, and ultimately that's what Gentoo is all about: freedom, of choice and design. The possible differences in 'performance' is merely a side-effect of that.

In what places does native compiled kernel show this elusive """""performance""""" if not in benchmarks?

I just spent 4 hours configuring the kernel. Was it worth it Jow Forums?

from the gentoo thread a few threads ago. i was the user asking what the emerge command for the newer kernels was. thanks to the two guys who gave me hints. both were slightly wrong i guess but they got me there!! the command turned out to be emerge -av sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.20.10 it was a SEMI COLON, not a dash dammit. also you put 4.20* in package.accepted_keywords not package use. Thanks guys, got it this morning after reading your posts and they made me try a few more things. emerge -av sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.20.10 kept geting me invalid atom and no applicable ebuild. was pulling me hair out. but i got a shiny new kernel with a few new configs now.

Attached: 2019-02-24-024530_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 847K)

: is for slots and if you want to refer to a specific versions then '=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.20.10' (kernels are a bit special case that they have slots for every version). However, if 4.20* was keyworded correctly then non version specific emerge -av gentoo-sources should have been enough and that pulls in the newest 4.20 for you which is already at 4.20.12.

Explain this, you dumbass gentoofags

packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/google-chrome

>he uses chrome

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

Options. Explain why your distro doesn't have this you dumbass faguette
github.com/perfect7gentleman/pg_overlay/blob/master/www-client/ungoogled-chromium/ungoogled-chromium-72.0.3626.119_pre.ebuild

It's a package. Google's Chrome. Why does it need explanations?

Gentoo maintains packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium and packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/otter/ and packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/netsurf and probably many other browsers you personally may or may not actually care about.

ok thanks i believe i didn't have it keyworded correctly?

what do you have in your package.accept_keywords?

> both were slightly wrong
I believe I definitely gave you a correct variant of this. I also suggested you might want to use .11 (now we're at .12).

It's generally exactly as the other user explained.

Install Gentoo.

I'm about to take the RHCSA and I don't know dick about all the intricacies of X.org and windowing systems and shit. I use Windows as my desktop OS everywhere, and then I administer RHEL/CentOS and Deb/Ubuntu servers all over the world.

Linux desktop is still meh. I did install Fedora on my new T480 Thinkpad, but I almost never use the thing since I have a sweet battlestation I use for gaming and work already. I want to like Linux for desktop, but I see little reason.

Attached: doubt.jpg (406x364, 50K)

I hope you're prepared, the RHCSA tests are apparently brutal.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous. I just looked into questions people report are on the exam. I need to practice more on LDAP setups and memorize network config shit better.

@69926991
>battlestation

Jow Forumsyourmomgay

@69927141
see

Wtf @?

>sweet battlestation
>gaming
>that plebbit image
>Wtf

Spend afternoon installing it instead. Also, while Clover configuration files are interesting to say the least I would not trust binaries made by 4channers

You just stopped reading halfway through the first sentence, didn't you.

gcc-8 is being stabilized

Attached: 1532708660794.webm (489x720, 588K)

I spent about 9 hours trying to fucking install this meme OS yesterday. Got to almost the very end and apparently the handbook lies and had me set my file systems up in some retarded manner that wouldn’t work with Grub 2. Never again. Fuck You guys I’m going back to void.

brainlette

Attached: DF61ECD1-D23C-416B-94FA-E68556A69778.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

Good riddance.

Attached: 1550944312339.jpg (600x620, 214K)

The handbook isn't exactly written with beginners in mind, user, you need to have at least some understanding of how all the basic components of a Linux system work before trying to configure them in Gentoo.

oh no no no no
look at this dudes taste in music

God help us all...

well there was no gentoo sources entry when i tried what you said. i put it in package use because i believe that what i read. either way you guys were a great help so dont think im knocking it. yea no insult intended brother. you helped a lot i think i just had some settings wrong! it was just i was only able to get emerge -av sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.20.10 to work with a semicolon. the dash returned no valid ebuild see ebuild(5) for me details or invalid atom package. Thanks so much tho!! you guys were really nice enough to help and I appreciate it. I love gentoo. portage is such a powerful package manager and I'm loving learning it.

Attached: swazidab.gif (534x534, 193K)

cmon bro i got more coming. chill boomer.

>implying im a boomer
did you even read my post, you massive memelord?

Finally got Gentoo installed, but I'm having this issue where / is mounting read only and I have to remount it. I think I may need to recompile the kernel with other stuff, or maybe something with modules idk.
I'm thinking about maybe switching back to Voidlinux but I'm gonna give Gentoo a few more weeks since Void's default MongoDB install is broken. I'll see how it goes.

Sad.

prolly need to fix your fstab.

who are you quoting fren?

cmon now we need to stick together, gentoo is far down distrowatch it's pathetic. we need to increase gentoo posting by 200%. this will require solidarity.

Attached: moonpie.jpg (640x480, 55K)

Sounds like an fstab or grub problem.
Do you have "root=/dev/sd(?) rootfstype=ext4 (or whatever)" set in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX?
How is your / set up in fstab?

There was a DAW thread recently talking a lot about linux DAWs, but has anyone tried GentooStudio a variant that focuses on music production. Seems pretty cool. http:// .... gentoostudio. . .. oorg

Attached: 1550710896506.jpg (640x480, 38K)

could someone give me a bit of help?
I'm testing some shit with nvidia-drivers, nouveau. and a Desktop eprofile, but for some reason it wants to emerge Fucking DBUS . I want poetteringware of my lawn.

Attached: 184628729812.png (431x551, 95K)

gtk3 is pulling it in
use the patched gtk3 from mv's overlay

you mean dev-libs/glib right?
thanks mate, I'll check it out

what? no, I mean gtk3; it hard depends on dbus for no good reason
you can get the patched version from this overlay
gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays/mv
after that, add
x11-libs/gtk+:3::gentoo
to your package.mask just in case
you can also mask dbus and other junk as well just to explicitly forbid it from ever touching your system

ok but you better start listening to kino music or I swear to god I'll spend the rest of my lifetime to make a time machine and force your mother to make you only drink bottled water to turn you into a cute trap with no selfesteem usually seen in /b/ threads like the fag you are

I don't need to edit shit dispatch-conf handles that for me nerd

low iq post

friendly reminder that funtoo exists
it's got debian kernels and lots of profiles

Attached: iori.jpg (720x1280, 226K)

well gentoo has gentoo kernels, can't match that

Attached: 1542495618845.png (1064x983, 1.55M)

Are Redcore, Calculate, Sabayon, and Clover OS memes or are they okay for someone unfamiliar with Gentoo? I've used Arch and am using Void now so I have a bit of Linux knowledge.

Attached: pls help me.png (323x244, 75K)

whether you install proper gentoo or not, you're gonna have to skim through the handbook anyway if you plan to actually use your system.
if you can install arch, you can install gentoo, there's barely any difference in the process

Post your USE flags. Here are mine:

USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif senpai flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg kde kipi kwallet lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 readline sdl seccomp semantic-desktop spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xinerama xml xv xvid zlib"

i.e. just install gentoo

Well I did it. I installed gentoo. And after multiple attempts at getting X working I give up. So many side hacks required for everything. More exceptions to all the rules. Fix this random thing with portage. Fix this config file, this un/mask file, require this specific line in your package.use, absolutely everything just doesn't work without significant time spent hacking something. Then when I have to remake my kernel for the 5th time I've just about had enough. It felt good getting a minimal install at the beginning but getting something actually usable requires too much time and effort spent.

USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif senpai flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv jpeg lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl offensive ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt5 readline sdl seccomp spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vaapi vdpau vorbis wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib"

offensive is a nice USE flag. Now that I think about it I should recompile fortune with the offensive flag.

Attempts? Xorg should work, there aren't really any "hacks" required to configure Gentoo. And you just pick what portage should do in package.use, yes. It.s easy even with > 1000 packages on more than one different machine.

You're doing something weird. Are you using uclibc or some less used CPU?

USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 bash-completion berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt cxx dri dri3 dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif senpai flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm iconv jpeg lcms ldap libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png ppds readline sdl seccomp spell ssl svg tcpd tiff truetype udev unicode upower usb vaapi vdpau vorbis x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib"

*/* pulseaudio unicode -consolekit -ldap systemd X bash-completion zsh-completion vim-syntax

And even these may be more than needed. The rest is per-package. Or things like
*/* INPUT_DEVICES: libinput

you should've picked the desktop profile, doofus

>systemd
baka

Attached: samurai_chop.png (252x159, 29K)

Yup, I see now I just left it with the default (non-desktop) profile. If I do bother trying to reinstall (is that the best way of going about it?), can I mask gtk/gnome AND qt/kde with the desktop profile? I originally just masked systemd and udev, with -gtk*/-qt* as global USE flags but it'd be nice to just not include them at all.

completely disagree, arch is a complete cake walk and gentoo is way fucking harder

If you want to learn how Unix works you must install Gentoo and Linux from scratch. Then build your own distro

you don't have to reinstall, just do
eselect profile set
emerge -uND --with-bdeps=y @world
you can mask whatever you like
just get a working system first

Worried all my hacked configs are gonna break my system when I do a full emerge update for the new profile, I'll have to hunt them all down and delete them, might unmerge xorg and all that as well. Thanks anyway I'll give gen2 a 2nd shot

Yes, I definitely prefer it over OpenRC.

Tested it rather early after it became possible and it was obvious it's the better option if you want to do more than just start the machine. More features, better diagnostics, less bloat with 3rd party server daemons, better overall structure.

idk for me openrc is just fine. Idk about all the botnet talk some people here claim, but I just feel safer with an systemd-free OS.

>boot into live distro
>partition and mount partitions
>connect to the internet
>download and unpack stage3
>chroot
>set hostname, locale, timezone, root passwd, write fstab
>pick profile, `emerge -uND @world`
>compile kernel, install grub
>exit chroot, reboot
wow so hard
kys retard

wait, so how was the first gentoo installed if you have to install it from a live distro?

Attached: you_know_how_bad_things_really_are.png (352x390, 290K)

>micromanage dependencies via use flags for everything
>have to research exact specs on all hardware for kernel customization
>a million other dumb fucking things

every distro is installed from a live distro

this, truly the autists choice

but in the year 1950, there was no live loonix distro. Therefore there must have been a first one. How did that come about?

what are profiles
>have to research exact specs on all hardware for kernel customization
what is genkernel
>a million other dumb fucking things
i.e. nothing

i dont know what the fuck are profiles the handbook did a shitty job explaining

Using genkernel and profiles defeats the purpose of gentoo. If you're not gonna customise then pick a mainstream desktop distro.
I figured out what profiles are but they're nowhere near fine-grained enough to get what you need out of gentoo, so they're more like a starting-base of USE flags etc

>imagine being this much of a brainlet

Attached: dude_where's_your_argument.jpg (713x1024, 170K)

thats what im saying, everything has to be autistically micromanaged. like in comparison arch just werks not even kidding. it's like ubuntu tier compared to the monstrosity that is gentoo install

also
>what is localmodconfig

more like you're just fucking braindead

I wasn't going against you. Gentoo is for computer nerds who care more about the feeling of a "minimalist" "customised" OS rather than saving electricity and downloading binary packages that work just fine.
It's the wrong thread but at this point why even bother with Arch, just stick to a netinstall debian.

i managed to install arch in like 10min, i took a whole day for gentoo and i couldnt fuck hack it. arch is like 4 steps, its basically like using a gui

they're really gonna love this but i just use manjaro now, all the benefits of the aur without the autism. it just werks and comes with i3 out the box its great

If for you OpenRC or even runit is fine, use it.

> Idk about all the botnet talk some people here claim
it's a giant circle jerk with really not much of a point.

i had an arch install going but i just got tired of fucking with it just to make it liveable

And enabled software features at the same time. Easy as fuck.

> have to research exact specs on all hardware for kernel customization
Well yes, but *you* decided you wanted to do this, and it's nice that you can.

If you just want a generic kernel with "all" drivers enabled as modules, use a generic kernel. Or if you want to use the kernel config from your live USB or one you've used before on your other machine, use that.

> a million other dumb fucking things
Broadly having easy choices isn't dumb. Fuck off if you want everyone to do the same thing. You'll be whining about it not being YOUR preference but mine in no time.

>Using genkernel and profiles defeats the purpose of gentoo
no, it doesn't; in fact, it aligns perfectly with the purpose of gentoo

if you've ever installed arch, you should be able to install gentoo in about the same amount of time (excluding compile time)
if you're not configuring the kernel manually on the spot, the steps are pretty much the same

> Rofi in my configuration handles all. Why do you waste downloads and electricity?
> $Your_distro is for weirdo nerds that care more about doing weird things, unlike my exact Gentoo with its configuration which is the normal choice for normal gentlemen. Debian netinstall is an absolute waste, use my exact Gentoo.
Why aren't you on a locked IOS phone, actually? It must be the dream for you.

>genkernel all
see you guys next week

>everything has to be autistically micromanaged
if you pick the correct profile for you use case, you can go w/o ever touching use flags at all unless you absolutely have to enable some feature or something tbqh

>Gentoo is for computer nerds who care more about the feeling of a "minimalist" "customised" OS rather than saving electricity and downloading binary packages that work just fine.
gentoo is for anyone who wants a flexible system that just works