/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1550999529096.jpg (800x600, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ostechnix.com/setup-japanese-language-environment-arch-linux/
gamingonlinux.com/articles/how-to-an-update-on-fixing-screen-tearing-on-linux-with-an-nvidia-gpu.8892
launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/ archive/ubuntu/ppa
repology.org/project/ungoogled-chromium/versions
dpaste.com/2RN3BGF
dwm.suckless.org/patches/autostart/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why is Richard so bloated?

I have Ubuntu working on my ASUS T100 and I want to put Arch Linux on it.

But I made a Arch USB on Windows using Rufus but I can't seem to boot it.

How?

How do I stop screen tearing on Ubuntu? Ryzen 5 and GTX 1060 if that matters

>having a working ubuntu
>still using rufus to make bootable USBs
Install Arch only after you stop being a brainlet.

modeled after GNU

There's several possibilities so you'll have to provide more detail. Do you have basic shit down like the boot order?

So much for "Friendly GNU/Linux Thread"

Rufus isn't bad, but try making it with Etcher next.

Install Arch

What's a good linux image viewer for reading manga? I used Honeyview on Windows, and I'm looking for something that can view images with a fixed zoom level, so that when I set an image to say, 70% magnification, it will stay at 70% for the rest of that folder.

oh and adding to this, rebindable hotkeys is a big plus.

Dunno. Try mcomix/qcomicbook?

>ostechnix.com/setup-japanese-language-environment-arch-linux/
I follow this guide so I can input Japanese and while it worked, now my font looks weird. Anyone knows what's the cause of this and how do I fix it?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-24_17-53-19.png (379x616, 40K)

mcomix seems to be exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

hi Jow Forums
any good lightweight linux distro with usable 1.5x scaling?
CPU Intel Atom Z8350

Attached: 1421211487271.jpg (500x561, 96K)

Can I install parts od DE (such as a panel) without the DE itself?
For example, Latte dock - from KDE - looks pretty nice, but I've no interest in using KDE as my desktop environment. Can I just apt install latte-dock?

You can install Gentoo pretty lightweight, with a tiling WM and all that. If you take the effort, you can even install it against uclibc; though I'd not necessarily recommend that one.

I don't know what you want to scale 1.5x. Fonts? Usually a matter of fontconfig.

Yes but it will pull a shitton of kde dependencies.
Maybe you can find a snap or something

display is 1080p but i want sharp ~720p look
gentoo would be to extreme for me
i just know linux distros had problems with fractional scalings

> display is 1080p but i want sharp ~720p look
No clue what that would be for?

I'd always run my tiling WM at 1080p on a 1080p display, even if I picked 50% larger fonts, 50% larger window borders, and maybe even zoomed images in 50% in an image viewer (720p wouldn't zoom it, it would just lower the resolution and maybe even poorly align the pixels at times, why make things look worse...?)

Is your GPU choking that much or something?

i want windows elements to look just as big as on 720p display but also enjoy extra sharpness on pics and text
1080p on laptop display is just too small

How long until I can migrate to wayland?

Then go back once you stop using diapers.

Install Windows 10 Education edition

> 1080p on laptop display is just too small
720p or 2160p or any other resolution usually should be the same size, just a different resolution. And a higher resolution will look sharper from a closer distance.

It's possible that something you're using is working with absolute pixel sizes -fonts, window borders, whatever-, in which case you just make the respective themes and fonts and such larger, you still run the actual display resolution at the best possible for your display though so it's all "sharp.

how to show KB instead of B in ifstat?

replace the gtx with radeon
replace ubuntu with xubuntu
install xfwm 4.13

>1.5x scaling
you did this to yourself

until that xdg-whatever is fixed and you can play videos in enlightenment agian

I overwrote my partition table I think when I entered /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1 in dd and it showed as 512 bytes overwritten. I don't mind losing the data on the ssd but I just want to get it to load an os again every time I try to start it there is no bootloader (just a black screen with a blinking cursor), how do I get it to work again?
The solutions which I found require it to have just happened, the partitioning chapter in How Linux Works doesn't help.
Is there anything I can read on this specifically?

The 512 bytes of MBR are 440 bytes of bootstrap code area. On BIOS systems this usually contains the first stage of the boot loader. So the rest is the partition table, I can create a partition table and partitions with fdisk/parted but when I reboot I still can't use the drive, I just want to know how I can replace the other 440 bytes,

tldr; what books or documents are there that go into detail on mbr/luks and how data storage and partitions work and why I can't boot my drive after I overwrote /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1 despite creating a new partition&partition table (to match the old) after with parted numerous times?

Attached: 5.png (714x235, 39K)

Which stock DE should I install for my mother on her old laptop?
She uses mostly web browsing and word.
I'm thinking between Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce and LXDE.

Elementary OS desu.

I attempted to install elementary on my old mac mini. I could boot from live USB fine, and installed over the existing macos installation. I'm using it as a file server so I encrypted during installation. When I rebooted the first time, I was asked for the security key but it wouldn't accept it. I tried powering off and booting again, and now elementary can't boot AT ALL

I can get into the GRUB bootloader, but if I try to get into recovery mode the booting hangs. I can't boot from the USB to reinstall either. Is my computer now fucked?

Pic related is what I get if I try to boot into recovery mode. If I try to boot normally or from the live USB, I get nothing displayed at all

Attached: IMG_20190224_135855.jpg (4160x3120, 1.86M)

> I can't boot from the USB to reinstall either.
How is this even possible? If you can't do this, it means your BIOS is whacked.

I CAN run the old Mac recovery disk that came with it though so I'm going to install Snow Leopard and try again

I think it might have something to do with BIOS compatibility or some shit with older macs that require you to install from a CD rather than a USB because they have a 32-bit EFI, but other people claim have installed from USB fine

you erased the partition table and bootloader
you can recreate the partition table by hand. if you don't know exactly where things were, try testdisk to find them
you can reinstall the bootloader, for example, with grub, run "grub-install /dev/sda" (may need to be chrooted, i forget)

Just started a cp -a /from/my/phone /to/my/linux_pc of a directory that is ~40k files and a lot of bytes. Any way to see the progress of that cp process now that it's already running?

not that i'm aware of, besides simply watching the size of the target directory versus the source, like with;
watch du -sh /to/my/linux_pc
alternatively, you could cancel it, and use rsync, which can show progress, and will skip files already copied

I have a few programs like telegram, teamspeak and arduino ide on /home/xxx/bin but I can't get it to have completion on the terminal and on dmenu

I have the folder in my PATH what am I missing?

does wayland have more compatibility now with software than back then? can it be used casually in a desktop?

I use Wayland Ubuntu and it seems faster than whatever the other alt. is by default (X?).
t. total retard with computers

I have a laptop with an intel n3050/braswell igpu and cannot for the life of me get it to output over HDMI.

I've tried two known working displays and cables and both fail the same way: they're detected (xrandr) but no output.
Changing resolutions and refresh rates does not help.

What do?

Why there is no gcc-bin package in Gentoo? It takes even more time to build it than to build Firefox or something.

try lxrandr

Nothing. It acts like it's there (cursor and windows can move to it), but still no output.

Attached: 2019-02-24_11-22.png (672x316, 74K)

I started using Gentoo as my first linux a few month ago. I still
have several questions about stuff:
> Is there a way to refresh ranger when i mount something so I can access it right away ?
> How can I preview pdf as images in ranger ?
> How can I use my alias in ranger shell prompt ?
> How can I increase the height of dmenu (without changing font size)? The i3bar is 35px hight but dmenu is only 20.
> Is there a script or i3 fork where the workspaces layouts/content are automatically restored when I shutdown/reboot ?
> Any recommendations for a minimal/simple image editing tool like paint ?

gamingonlinux.com/articles/how-to-an-update-on-fixing-screen-tearing-on-linux-with-an-nvidia-gpu.8892

If i get dwm straight from source, do i have to get dmenu as well?

how do I get rid of the screentearing on an nvidia gpu

Worked for me when I updated my nvidia drivers to: launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/ archive/ubuntu/ppa

how do I list all open ports with firewalld?

your question is ambiguous but no, they're two separate programs

So, i would have to get dwm and then dmenu so the key binding would work?

I usually get dwm from debian repos and everything is installed for me desu

Yeah, you will have to make sure you have dmenu installed. If you're not doing any patches or any modifications to dmenu's config you can just install it with your package manager rather than from source. And unless you are definitely planning on patching dmenu I do suggest just using your package manager, since everything in the default config.h can be set with command line options as well.

I got as far as firewallct -h saying it's deprecated, migrate to firewall-cmd, saw firewall-cmd --list-ports, then saw you need to specify a zone. Apparently there's 3 zones, but then my head got tired.

pv -d PID

I added devmon & to my .xinitrc file but it doesn't seem to work, but it does when I run it on my terminal emulator? What I'm doing wrong?

I'm use Void btw.
Context: I'm trying to setup Udevil, no systemd.

Attached: 7698348638d583f19e1975703732674be9bfc44670b9b06b8d5781f53e810a1e.jpg (900x600, 318K)

That feeling when the place where i have a internship runs a lot of black boxed Cisco redhad machines i can't access because i dont have the right cisco classification.
So this is the power of commercial open source

Attached: im_tired.jpg (474x723, 92K)

What is a good equivalent to throttlestop for linux? With both the capabilities to undervolt/overvolt and underclock/overclock a laptop processor?

Guys, how hard it would be, to use orange pi with minimal debian minimal installation and slowly add things like GUI, GPIO control and soo on trough flash disks offline?

I have it for LARP game if you need to know why.

you mean it doesn't run devmon?

Should have done rsync kid.

I just noticed my partitions aren't aligned. Is it possible to move them without losing all my data and breaking everything?

I'm actually not sure why they aren't aligned. I always make sure they are when using parted even though it makes it a huge pain in the ass. It's an SSD, maybe that's why? Does alignment even matter?

When I was (much) newer to linux, I added PPAs and downloaded packages from sources without worry, because "Linux has no viruses." Now I'm much stricter about what I download and run on my computer. Is it possible to make sure there is no malware on my machine?

Turn off the lights and see if it glows in the dark.

Which distros have Ungoogled Chromium in their repos?

Attached: 1522485377857.png (311x355, 72K)

yeah, it should start every time I do startx, but it doesn't.

Does it rely on X being started? Have you tried adding it to your DE/WM autostart instead of xinitrc?

repology.org/project/ungoogled-chromium/versions
only aur has an up-to-date version (out of the distros repology tracks)

>only aur has an up-to-date version
Weird. Is there some reason why there are no official repos which carry it?

Also, thanks for that link. Never knew about this site, but it's pretty handy.

>Does it rely on X being started?
I don't think so, it works from the tty.
>Have you tried adding it to your DE/WM autostart instead of xinitrc?
I probably should do that, I use i3wm but I'm thinking to switch to dmw soon, that's why I wanted to activate it from .xinitrc, I believe dmw isn't able to start programs in background like i3 does.

Just shut up and build it yourself.

There is only the power LED and IO LED glowing. Fuck I think I'm screwed.

That wasn't a very friendly post.

>Is there some reason why there are no official repos which carry it?
this came up in #voidlinux recently: dpaste.com/2RN3BGF

>only aur has an up-to-date version (out of the distros repology tracks)
AUR is hosted on the official archlinux website
It is run by Trust Users, which are officially sponsored developers from Arch's main repo's

What does "ungoogled chromium" even really mean? Isn't the engine still google's?

I'm curious because I think some browsers like "qutebrowser" use the same engine, and I've been hesitant to use them because it's google's engine. Would those browsers also be considered "ungoogled" somehow?

export $PATH

rsync is bloat. I believe there is a program called progress that can do it.

Chromium is developed by google obviously, but it's open source. People have gone through and removed all the google specific stuff and anything that phones home to googles servers.

>bloat
Never reply to my posts again.

win10 is cancer

No it really is a hack that was never meant to be used for local file copying. And has limitations when you try to do more advanced stuff with it.

E.g. I recently encountered the "update" option still overwrites files that are newer on the destination if they are a different type. The justification is that it makes sense when copying files to a server and it's only intended to save some time not copying files that are already there.

Why doesn't the scroll lock key do anything? Shouldn't it let me scroll or stop scrolling?

Because software needs to actually notice that and program scroll locking in, which most software doesn't bother to do.

Google "scroll lock key"

I'm using qutebrowser and the filepicker doesn't have thumbnails. Is there anything I can do to circumvent this?

The linux filepicker is garbage. I use a proper file manager and drag the files to the browser.

>linux filepicker
What the hell is the "linux filepicker"?

dwm.suckless.org/patches/autostart/
put it in ~/.dwm/autostart.sh
I'm dwm user as well

>The linux filepicker
The GTK filepicker is trash. qutebrowser uses a slightly better one but it still doesn't show thumbnails either.
There is no such thing as a generic "linux filepicker"

sxiv, copy image location

>linux filepicker
Hate this meme

Fine, the GNU filepicker you fucking autists.

And it doesn't do thumbnails because thumbnails are rather complicated. E.g. privacy concerns if you cache them like most file browsers do, or a real performance hit if you have to decode every image every time. Especially in big folders.

No because Firefox uses GTK and the GTK filepicker is garbage. The best way around this issue is to navigate to the file you want to select in your file manager (e.g. Thunar), then drag and drop the file into the upload form in Firefox.

Attached: 1541126800510.png (742x828, 151K)

>GNU filepicker
What the hell is the "GNU filepicker"?

>Install Konqi Desktop Environment.
>Ironically no longer need to dragon drop files.

lol, that's not it either.
The point is there isn't 1 filepicker, there are multiple different ones.

>or a real performance hit if you have to decode every image every time.
This is what's so fucking hilarious about the GTK filepicker lacking proper thumbnails
Because IT DOES have thumbnail support already. That's right, it's ALREADY loading the full size thumbnail, downscaling, and rendering it in the filepicker. It just does it at like fucking 12x12 pixel size so it's totally useless.

It doesn't do it for everyone though, I think it just depends on what directory your thumbnails are cached to, but a lot of us do have thumbnails displaying in the default GTK filepicker, and I'm not talking about the single image display when you click an image, I'm talking about every single image inside the directory next to the filename displays the thumbnail at a tiny tiny little size made for fucking ants.

The GTK devs are so fucking incompetent we literally get the worst of both worlds. The code already exists to render images, we already waste the resources to load those thumbnails into memory, and we don't even get to fucking see them anyway because it's too small.

>dragon drop
Come again?

I want to mirror a windows pc to linux over ethernet (basically I want the functionality of steam link)

what's the best way to do this?

Attached: konqi.jpg (320x320, 22K)

Found a pic to go with my post. My thumbs aren't currently working, but I did used to have thumbs like this when I was using Thunar, so I'm wondering if the way Thunar caches them or maybe there's a dependency on tumbler.
But here's what it looks like, you can get the GTK filepicker to do this now, without patching.

All we've ever really needed is for the devs to give us a fucking OPTION to increase the size, everything else is already coded in. It's the same story with typeahead which the removed and replaced with their retarded search feature. An option would be like 2 lines of code maximum but they just outright REFUSE to fucking do anything no matter how trivial it is if they don't have a need for it themselves.
And if I'm not mistaken these devs are the in the same Redhat family as the systemd devs. Big surprise there.

Attached: thumbs.png (861x665, 283K)