Why does the Scroll Lock exist?

Why does the Scroll Lock exist?

Attached: file.png (728x300, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?s=b&q=Why does the Scroll Lock exist?
xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard_PrtScn_SysRq_ScrLk_Pause_Break_keys.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

to disable scrolling

lmgtfy.com/?s=b&q=Why does the Scroll Lock exist?

Since when bing got this?

Bing it you retard

boomers

It never actually had any particular function on the IBM PC nor compatibles. There were virtually no programs that made any use of it either. It was just a random idea they created that has now stuck around for legacy reasons. Shit is weird like that. People do things certain ways because some fucker thousands of years ago did it and it became popular - see shaved faces in the Roman army.

Also, the pause button has some funny legacy quirks too. It used to be able to pause the BIOS boot screen during POST so you could read what was going on. I'm not sure if it works on UEFI platforms anymore. Maybe some support it? Just another oddity of PC legacy.

To stop the Goyim from reading the Torah
To stop imps, goblins and mortals from reading your most valued tomes.

Meh, it's a goner from the old days. Just like Qwerty, which was intently designed to reduce typing speeds and yet, is the standard in use around the world.

for confusing me in msExcell

shaved faces in the army have a function, and that is to get a proper seal on the gas mask

It's useful in spreadsheets

Those 4th century BCE gas masks, eh?

Attached: 09A2AB3C-5B62-4A40-A547-4A689769618C.jpg (251x242, 15K)

To slow your scroll, my nigga.

Attached: ohwalrus.png (1262x856, 1.14M)

Not on my keyboard.

They were ahead of their time

yesh. this feels wrong.

In my audio recording programs, it stops the sequencer from following the current time marker when the visible waveforms/midi runs out of space to the right side of the screen. If you turn it off then the sequencer keeps scrolling to the right and starts following the current time marker again.

>?s=b

Jesus - just reprogram it...

?

Attached: a.png (968x610, 41K)

xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard_PrtScn_SysRq_ScrLk_Pause_Break_keys.html
>Scroll Lock Used to toggle the behavior of arrow keys so that, when ScrLk is on, the up/down arrows scrolls the window. It may still work when in system bootup screen, and is also used in spread sheet to force arrow keys to scroll window instead moving around cells.
Tldr: It's for moving though console output and MS Excel

>Presents a professional appearance because Romans are civilized
>One less thing for your foe to grab in a fight
>Prevents the spread of lice

>Qwerty, which was intently designed to reduce typing speeds
More on that pls

hacking to the gate.mp3

scroll luck sucks
insert sucks
backspace to go back one page in browsers sucks
these are 80's mouseless computer garbage that retarded programmers didn't bother to remove.

Attached: 1533482961145.jpg (1280x720, 197K)

Thanks for making me aware I don't have a scroll lock key. I was having a nice day, dickhead.

Faces would be one part not that well protected by Roman armor. Wounds and abrasions would be easier to treat on shaved faces.

We were only told not to shave when it is below freezing, because then it is damaging to the skin (still shave once a week). The biggest practical issue with beards besides gas masks is that beards get stuck on shit and stick shit inside them, which is unhealthy. Also there is a moral aspect, when you groom yourself you feel more human, more relaxed and healthier. When you have been in constant combat for months, its an absolute bliss to wash yourself and shave your face, boosts morale. Mainly though shaving in military is a discipline thing, same reason you have to iron your shirts and shave the back of your neck. I cannot stress enough how important discipline is, and it starts from little things. My old drill sergeant used to say "today you forgot to tuck your shirt, tomorrow you betray your country".

Anyone who isn't shaved is marking themselves as a onions loving leftists commie. So shaving definitely has a purpose. Also combat effectiveness. Guys with large beards are easier to grab by the face than even long haired dudes are.
It's a symbol of pure weakness.

Not only that but have any of you guys realised just how fucking disgusting it is to have long hair and a beard when you havent showered in a long time and have to constantly sweat and fuck throught mud and dirt? I shaved my head every week in the miltary, it feels MUCH better not having dirt disgusting hair on your head

>insert sucks
accidentally pressed it while writing an essay years ago and it really fucked my shit up

Long hair can be dealt with via daily showering (also bitches love long hair) but beards stay disgusting and are harder to clean. That being said long hair has no place in a conflict either.
I've already told my wife she'll know civil war is here when I immediately chop off my mane.
That being said if your anything other than clean cut and properly groomed everyone around you can see exactly how worthless you are.

my dude where in the fuck do you get the luxury of a daily shower in a combat environment? I used to go weeks with only using alcohol wipes from MREs to give myself a daily bitch bath. Washing hair takes far too much water, and water is not something you want to waste. You are right though, grooming makes you more respectable and shows that you have your shit together. I used to shave daily even when my men didnt (in combat not camp) and it left an impression of a solid authority in them, because to them even though everything had been going to shit and all of us had slept around 10 hours total last week lieutenant somehow still looked unfazed

>There were virtually no programs that made any use of it either.
But Excel was one of the ones that did. It's slightly common.

You don't get that luxury. Hence why long hair has no place there. Hence I can currently keep my hair long for the wife but the moment anything changes shit goes immediately. I was just saying head hair is easier to maintain and less disgusting on the whole than facial hair. Also far more professional.
Either way I may be a bit odd though as I'm of the opinion that long hair is to be kept neat and in a ponytail at all times...if that shit at any time is in your race it's as bad as a beard covered in food particles and bird shit in my book.
Keep it clean gentlemen.

beards have been ruined by s.o.y boys anyway, so i dont understand why anyone except for s.o.y boys wouldnt be shaved at current year

get the fuck out of Jow Forums you normie larpers le tough soldier cucks of zog
I have based clean 40cm long hair looking like nobility, suck my cock lmao

It's a stupid myth. Qwerty isn't the most optimal layout, but this is not intentional.
For some reason people parrot the idea that this was done on purpose to prevent type jams on typewriters.
Obviously this would never be the case because the mechanical arm order could be adjusted to accommodate regardless of the key layout. How often a jam occurs is basically vendor specific, not inherently WPM based.

virgin seething neckbeard gunlet detected

go die for my oil so i can fuck around in my car

Im not american my dude :^)

Attached: ball selector.jpg (1000x443, 120K)

When I use Excel that I sometimes use scroll lock to scroll the spreadsheet by using the cursor keys. If you have it off it does cell by cell, but on it scrolls down or across by screen.

>"today you forgot to tuck your shirt, tomorrow you betray your country
This is the most retarded shit I have ever read in my life

I just realized the scroll lock allows me to scroll through an excel sheet with the arrow keys

I doubt you have qualms with the meaning and instead are not understanding the intention. It's a metaphor.
If the meager aspects of discipline are lost, it's a sign of decline. You lack the ability to do something that you otherwise where capable and willing to do on every other occasion. You let this go, you let yourself and those who depend on you go. If you can't be assed to do the small things how can you be expected to do large things?

What were you using? Sublime Text? Emacs? Some TeX editor?
Because MS Word doesn't support insert key and Vim indicates insert as a --REPLACE-- mode.

>backspace to go back one page in browsers sucks

damn weebz. is one key press instead of pressing shift+backspace or alt+back arrow. g00gle did what every computer weeb did: write long shit comment and go back instead of delete bc they suck

except its true, you just dont understand the context. In military discipline is everything, in combat the side that can keep a cool head and follow protocol when SHTF will prevail, and this requires discipline. Every manuever and drill can only be executed correctly if every single part of it is done right, and there are dozens of small things that need to be done exactly right, and this requires incredible discipline. Discipline starts from small things in the camp. The idea of the saying is that if you let your soldiers break discipline on small things tomorrow they will break it on larger things. An incredibly morbid example is the current war in Donbass, where low discipline lead to fucking up little things which led to hundreds of dead bodies. For example: say that you dont feel like looking behind you when going from prone to leap in fire manuever bc youre in combat, fuck what drill sergeant said. What happens is that you get shot in the back by the machine gunner behind you. It takes 2 men to give you medical aid, thats an entire fireteam out of action because of a small mistake. Now the fireteam gets tied down and cannot support the attack, which leads to the whole platoon failing its mission, which leads to company failing its mission which leads to good men dying because youre an undisciplined fucktard

This is the idea behind the saying.

i dont know.
Some devices did not have memory past what was on the screen, so when you scrolled you essentially lost all information on what was scrolled away.

actually insert switching between modes u nigger

default hotkey for switching between computers for most KVMs