/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Yeah I use React how did you know?
edition

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: Копия-IMG_470959-1051x1200.jpg (1051x1200, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

css-tricks.com/
flukeout.github.io/
medium.com/swlh/asp-net-core-2-1-vue-js-a-marriage-made-in-heaven-6e6ab19b40f5
allthefreestock.com/
keithclark.co.uk/labs/css-fps/
sujets.net/sujets/xens/2017/commun/informatique.pdf
sujets.net/sujets/xens/2015/commun/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

God I wish that were me

In my current project I have a link in the appbar to a search page. Now the problem is that the search page will have two search icons, the licon in the appbar and the one in the search bar, a big no no. Should I just hide the icon in the appbar on the search page? But I feel like the appbar should always stay constant...

Attached: twosearch2.gif (362x737, 2.04M)

At least make his trunks have the /wdg/ logo you fucking moron

is the gif your project?

how do i not suck at css?
I spend like hours trying to fix one thing, and fuck up other shit in the process.
is there like a good book or tutorial on it somewhere?

I would hide the icon in the search bar.
Or if you want to be fancy with CSS, make the appbar icon move down and expand into the full search bar. When the search is done, shrink the search bar again and move the search icon back up into the app bar.
css-tricks.com/ has some good articles and guides.
Do flexboxfroggy and cssgridgarden if you haven't done so yet.
Don't know what else really. If it's the usual margin, padding, border stuff, then just keep at it.

just use some framework like bootstrap 4

Attached: 1551009111132.jpg (1051x1200, 351K)

another one

Attached: 1550983883090.jpg (1039x847, 577K)

>y-yes I'm a web-monkey...

Attached: gigaincel.png (859x960, 216K)

I've been watching the free vids on vuemastery.com (they're free to watch this weekend only). I've made a few sites using drupal 8 and would like to use headless drupal with vue.js.
Question: if I expose the backend through the rest api from one domain (where drupal is installed) should vue.js be on another domain or subdomain? I'm confused.

doesn't really make a difference

So both can run on the same domain?

Papa.

how do y’all promote your work?

>tfw you realize gigachads body literally looks like the nanosuit from crysis.

>y’all
oof and yikes

I find javascript.info to be the perfect middle ground between entry level courses and, sometimes unnecessary, MDN verbose.
Is there anything similar for PHP?
The pastebin looks great, but there's a bit of info overdose for me. I could go through everything there in the future, but if I'm starting from zero, what should be my first step?

great! now make the suggestions appear in a drop down.

>y-yes I use jQuery

Why is gigachad pissing in his pants?

The CSS courses on Treehouse are great

Reading literally everything about CSS on MDN helped me a lot.
Fiddling at first on CSS after codecademy or FCC I felt clueless as fuck.

The guides in the first post are useful and helped me get a job, but I now know all the basics (HTML/CSS/JS), and I learned Vue and Nuxt.js on the job.

I feel like I've exhausted all internet learning resources, but I still feel like I'm shit and can improve a lot. So where do I go from here? What are some advanced materials for a front-end web developer?

Udemy says it's having a sale (shock I know) but everything is full price for me. Is it like this for everyone else?

it's because their maximize-profit-system™ determined you might be a possible money opportunity.
Open it in a private window or clear your cookies/storage and see how the price changes to whatever value they use at that day.

Goddamnit, udemy really are shady fuckers. I wonder how many people pay full price for their shit

That was Prophet's giga tyrone body

profit is the ultimate goal. you think they care about teaching something?

wake up

>So where do I go from here?

Attached: maslow-hierachy-of-needs-min.jpg (776x429, 74K)

it's the testosterone

someone pls recreate a non homosexual /wdg/

No such thing

>Yeah I use React how did you know?
Because you piss in your pants, fagtron

>flexboxfroggy
>cssgridgarden

These are great resources for practicing CSS.

kek, fucking rekt

CSS Diner is another good one:
flukeout.github.io/

But it's just for learning the selectors, and FlexBoxFloggy/CSSGridGarden are just for those particular features.

The core of CSS though is stuff like the box model and different types of positioning, and I'm not sure if there are any good games or specific activities for practicing those. I mostly just learned them trying to make actual websites, mimicking features from other sites and getting things to look the way I wanted.

I'm learning Vue right now, but is there a reason Microsoft doesn't offer an ASP.NET Core Vue template? Why only Angular/React?

Please user tell me more about that.
I'm studying at the moment but I'm fucking clueless abut what a company expect from a newbie.
How was the interview?

so why would i ever mark the return type in php
function braap(): ?string {}

or why would i ever declare type of arguments that function accepts like
function braap( string $str ): ?string {}
I mean if you are writing a function you already know with what kind of arguments it will work, why explicitly declare the type?

fuck i am sick of solving captcha. It takes forever 4chanx's noscript captcha is not working.
Fuck I only visit this site to read and post on /wdg/ is there any other board or forum related to web dev.
Before anyone suggest discord I wanna say fuck you.

>I only visit this site to read and post on /wdg/
do you have a job as a dev or what?

no i am learning rn. i usually ask and answer questions here.
also once again fuck captcha

Let me know if you find some other webdev site/community that is actually active

i can't find that's why i am asking here.

reddit? :^)

Can't call people niggers on reddit

kek

Ditched.

How long did it take you to get a job?
Did you start from scratch?

Reproduction is a physiological need?

Why is web development so cancerous?

I want to make a web app, that collects data from someone elses web app, theirs doesn't have an API. Basically I will need to make a search on their app, and display the results, what language is best for this sort of thing, I know some JS is that suitable?

It's not. See Blazor.

Perl 6

NodeJS
Express for viewing data
Request for collecting data

C# is comfy

medium.com/swlh/asp-net-core-2-1-vue-js-a-marriage-made-in-heaven-6e6ab19b40f5

TL;DR they did at one point but they dropped it due to limited resources for the template team.

simple php crawler will do

Thanks. TLDRs should be mandatory for tech articles.

Yes user, the species continues via reproduction.

Yes, it's called server side renderings, rendering being the process of the server generating an HTML based on available data. I can't use a framework like React or Angular because the frontend would then be unavailable without JS enabled, which defeats the entire point of templating in the first place.

Fuck off Kevin

Ewww why is he pissing his pants

> I can't use a framework like React or Angular because the frontend would then be unavailable without JS enabled
implying anyone but some gnutards that make up 0.0001% of the population has JS disabled

read You can use Frameworks like React or Vue.
The server does the initial render and the client will hydrate the page and make it an SPA if it can. If it can't (because JS is disabled or whatever), then clicking a button, that would normally load a component, will instead send a request to the server for another round of SSR to render it for the client and send back a complete HTML response again.

I have become strong.

>not vertical

>it's hard to google something when you don't know what it is called...

is there something (like an iframe or something) that i can put on a webpage that would essentially act as a window/portal/sub-browser so i can show another (live) website in it?

if so, what is this tech called?
how to implement? (nutshell, i can dig deeper on my own)

>like an iframe
yeah, why not an iframe?

like they do on this page?
allthefreestock.com/

i can't find any examples where the iframe thing works as i mean it to

>like they do on this page?
no. more like the idea of picture-in-picture
within the frame/window/portal, it would be a live view of another site, with scrolling and all

From my brainlet understanment, you need the server to serve you the page, since you can't load it with ajax alone due to it being an external domain.

is edx any good?

isn't that example kind of picture in picture?
It loads the target site in the iframe and you can use it and scroll around just as when you would open the site in its own tab.

there used to be a site: ohmyproxy.com
it was its own site, but on the page was a sub-browser.
you would type the address of the site you wanted to access and it would take you there within that frame and you never leave ohmyproxy.com

from what i can tell by viewing the source on that page, is that it LOOKS LIKE that's what is happening, but it's a clever pseudo version.
(i may be wrong, still a novice at this stuff)

Attached: proxy99.png (1920x1040, 435K)

jesus fucking christ

keithclark.co.uk/labs/css-fps/

Attached: 8gfd7sn9gt.png (1921x1011, 1.39M)

useless but really impressive and cool

What's the deal with django/python? Based?

It took me 2 months or so. I didn't start from scratch, I've done the CS50 course online a while back, so I was a bit comfortable with programming. Never did any big projects or anything though, I knew some CS fundamentals and mostly wrote simple scripts before I started learning web dev.

The interview was easy, I was asked about CSS stuff, some Bootstrap stuff, if I ever used a JS framework, I told them I used React w/ Redux and made a small SPA I had put up on GitHub. The bonus points though were: I created a GitHub profile, and pushed shit there everyday. Most of it was irrelevant mini-experiment stuff, but all that matters was that they could see I coded everyday (and knew how to use Git). I also contributed a few very small bug fixes on some open source projects. Two: I had a personal webpage. I bought a cheap .me domain from GoDaddy (and I bought 3 months of their shitty hosting too, because I didn't know any better, now I use GitHub's free hosting) and put up a simple personal webpage with my hobbies in there and links to GitHub and LinkedIn (there was literally nothing in my LinkedIn, doesn't matter), just to show that I knew how to put an actual website up and could code a few pages from scratch. Also, they asked me if I ever used Linux and I said that Debian was my main drive, they were happy with that. Then they gave a me a takehome assignment (implement a responsive landing page, given some .png's of the layout), I turned it in and they liked it and gave me an offer.

That was pretty much it, keep in mind this is a junior position, but it was my way out of NEETdom, I've learned a lot on the job and am about to get a raise too. They don't expect a lot from newbies, just show you're passionate about it and that you're not going to kick them in the balls and run whenever another company makes an offer, show that you're willing to learn and you like coding and they'll gladly take you in and train you.

pretty old. It was one of the first things someone wrote when css3 transforms became possible (specifically, 3d transforms, and the ability for calculations to be inherited and combined over multiple elements).

Anyone here webdev with Clojure? I like the functional syntax and think it could be really powerful if used right but I don't know how much it is used in web stacks.

Attached: ineverhadachoice.jpg (667x659, 77K)

Fair enough. I guess I was looking at that as pertaining to the individual rather than the species.

My company is moving our Scala/Clojure codebase to pure Elixir.

Clojure is dying, don't learn it if you're knew. It's like learning COBOL.

What about Common Lisp?

kek

Does anyone work with websockets?

I get the "Error: WebSocket was closed before the connection was established" and it breaks my program

I want to close a websocket because I won't be needing it anymore, but it's still stuck in the negotiation phase. how do I tell it to simply stfu and delete the socket anyways so it doesn't clog up resources?

Interesting.
Have you ever considered doing freelance work?

i am a software engineer.
i am fucking AWFUL at front end dev.
can someone recommend me a css framework or something to make me less shit?

material

ye, material gives you a good framework to go from.

ty

Attached: Vxok9RE.png (500x487, 354K)

>fell for the html imports meme
>built my entire site around them
>now they're obsolete according to mozilla
>site no longer functions
I'm not a web dev, I just dabble in it, and I haven't touched this site in a year. What are my options for embedding one html page inside of another in 2019? iframes? I can't use php because github pages so I'm not sure where to turn here.

>initial page loads
>request each html fragment with JS
>embed each fragment in the page at its location

has anyone streamed or made videos of themselves programming? im wondering if it's worth looking into, whether for side income or as a good learning experience or whatever else.

I'm trying to figure out the github pages behind a domain name.
It contains exam problems, for example:
sujets.net/sujets/xens/2017/commun/informatique.pdf
For a non valid URL, for example sujets.net/sujets/xens/2015/commun/
the 404 is from github pages

Python & Django or full JS tard? Recommend me what would be the best way to go to.
I have been doing php for nearly 2 years and still I think it's shit, I actually like Java even more than php.

Is node.js really that bad? Why is everyone hating on it all of a sudden?

I do a similar setup with WordPress, with Wordpress on admin.whatever or content.whatever

I'm currently making a webapp for personal use and maybe release it sometime.
I'm wondering, right now it's full-desktop sized and I want to make a React Native app also. Should I still make it responsive/mobile friendly on the webiste along with native apps or should I just fuck it and have a webapp for desktop and only mobile versions are the real apps?

>actually like Java even more than php.
whaT?