Purism Librem 5 Linux phone

Are any of you planning on purchasing this?

Attached: Librem5_delayed.jpg (679x595, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>here’s the final run-down of the specs for this smartphone:

>5.5 inch to 5.7 inch HD display
>NXP i.MX8M Quad processor
>32GB of eMMC storage + microSD card reader
>Gemalto PLS8 3G/4GB modem (on a replaceable M.2 card)
>TESEO LIF3 multiconstellation GNSS/GPS receiver
>9-axis motion sensor
>Front and rear cameras (specs TBD)
>Vibration motor
>USB-C port
>User-replaceable battery
>At least one speaker
>PureOS GNU/Linux-based operating system

>Keep in mind that components were chosen in order to eliminate the need for proprietary software. You can definitely find Android phones with more powerful hardware and lower price tags. But you won’t get the hardware kill-switches that physically disconnect the microphone, camera, and WiFi and cellular radios. And you won’t get the same emphasis on free and open source software.

>180$ hardware
>600$ price tag
No thanks, all privacy features aside people will still end up using the internet and 'social' media which defeats the total purpose of it. If you want a true privacy phone get a dumb phone

I'll probably wait for the second generation device

>people will still end up using the internet and 'social' media
i dont think this product is targeting those "people", if you can call them that, either way, i hope the price goes down significantly after manufacturing/selling has started (assuming the molding and tooling for the case is the thing that probably cost most)

This is neat, a few years ago I'd be jumping with joy.

I'm curious what will come of this.

This has been the third delay if I'm not mistaken. It's not even certain this will see the light of day. Also not even a 1080p display, quad core SoC and 32 GB of internal storage - in the garbage it goes regardless of the price.

>ITT: CIA psyop
you guys seem really really scared of this phone

I don't use social media and already have a dumb phone. This is the type of smart phone that I would actually consider buying.
>completely missing the point and ignoring the important specs that differentiate this device from those that are constantly spying on you.

meant for >>completely missing the point and ignoring the important specs that differentiate this device from those that are constantly spying on you.

It was obvious to any onlooker a minimum informed about hardware projects that the first estimates were overly optimistic and that it would be delayed.
From a realistic point of view, it's progressing alright. Probably going to be delayed a bit more too.

These are legitimate complaints. I know what the point of it is, but they seriously couldn't have found a capable enough SoC and a 1080p display? Come on.

I'm using a 10 year old flip phone. It seems capable enough for me. Although, admittedly, I'd probably wait for the 2nd gen version.

Attached: simpsonsno.gif (250x200, 994K)

>1080
I'm currently using a 720 screen and it works just fine on my 5.5" phone
1080 is a waste of gpu resources desu

Pinephone is also a thing apparently.

it wont be running lagdroid though so 4 cores should be sufficient

This, I might buy a pinephone to mess around with since it is supposed to be only $150. Only big problem is it uses an allwinner A64, a hilariously inefficient 40nm garbage heap released in early 2015.

Every mobile phone is constantly tracked by cellular towers.

Librem looks cool

If the VM they build for apps is good, I don't really care about "high performance" from my phone.

Internet / messages are 90% of what I use my phone for.

I think it will be shit though, 99% of kickstarter projects suck balls, I don't trust these people to produce a quality product.

These.
Then who is it even for? Why would you want a smartphone at all if you aren't looking for a web surfing device or social media drone enabler?

It's not like this thing is really any good as a pocket computer given that it's just another shitty touch screen iClone with even more pretentious branding that you'd need to attach a bulky USB keyboard and mouse to or tether it to a dock on your desk to get any real work done with the 5 applications it will ever properly run.

This thing's a piece of shit cash grab for hipsters who want to look like they're privacy conscious without actually being so.

The smartphone form factor is very nice and portable.
I think you're just mad because you can't afford one.

I honestly think you're just an actual idiot to think anyone is arguing against the "smartphone form factor."

Are you 80? What waste of resources?
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
Pieces of shit aren't topping these charts.

You literally said its not any good as a pocket computer

>GNOME
No.

It isn't, what exactly are you having trouble grasping here?

I don't think you've ever used a smartphone for any amount of time. If i could dock mine and use it as a desktop i wouldn't have a need for a laptop

Good for you? What the fuck are you even babbling about, you fucking retard?

He's saying it's basically pointless if it cannot do both.

I figured as much and agree with that statement, but I'm not really sure what that has to do with it being nothing more than another social media telescreen with less apps on the go.

There are many far superior options in that department if you really, really want to invalidate the purpose of having a smartphone by tethering it to a proprietary dock on a desk when you want to use it for anything actually productive.

Good thing it wasn't a kickstarter project then. From what I've seen of their laptops, those are competent machine (except in price). And according to the CEO, they only ever made laptops in pursuit of the goal of making the phone. I think I can reasonably expect it to work well enough. Although I guess I have to since I pre ordered one.

>600$

WTF? I thought Linux was free!

Maybe if it were 300$. I'll just buy Pine64.

>1080p on a phone
You don't need this when your device is scaling the display to 360p anyways. 720p is enough. Anything more is a waste of resources unless you're really into VR.

gsmarena is extremely biased and ignores a very large number of devices. Not a single Oukitel device is on their list despite them having 4 10Ah phones with a 24h video playback battery life.

>buying something made by trannies

I still believe not going with LineageOS is a mistake. A free mobile OS already exists, get the hardware that runs with a free kernel and it would be much less work.

They got the hardware, but are using resources to reinvent GNOME and KDE to run with a touch screen as primary input.

>You can definitely find Android phones with more powerful hardware and lower price tags. But you won’t get the hardware kill-switches that physically disconnect the microphone, camera, and WiFi and cellular radios.
We could've had that phone... But now we have a replacement that is incompatible with the whole F-Droid repository.

Attached: Booette.png (389x584, 212K)

The kill switches aren't even worthwhile when you'll still be tracked/profiled the moment you turn them on, which you'd need to do to get any kind of use out of a phone line this.

I disagree, I'd buy it as a personal computer of the size of my pocket.
I actually run my smartphone in a similar way (plane mode all the time, no app has mic access except when I enable them to use it, etc.).

You could probably install linage OS on it if you want that.

>not a single literally who manufacturer's device is in battery test lists

Would it work with the cellular modem, though?

But what are you going to use it for without a data connection? With nothing but a touch screen it's pretty much useless for anything technical or productive, and if you're going to just dock it or attach a big keyboard to it to do anything useful, what's the point when you can just buy a much cheaper laptop or desktop that is also superior in every single way?

I really fail to see this thing as anything but another Facebook browsing machine that just lets you decide when you get tracked.

Speaking from my own use cases, I use my phone to:
- Edit documentation using Markor
- Edit and take notes using OMNI Notes
- Manage projects using LabCoat
- Take pictures, if I want to
- Watch anime
If I'm on Wi-Fi, this might include:
- Downloading torrents
- Chatting with people using Telegram/Conversations

Except if you include Wi-Fi in "data connection". Then indeed, the use cases are severely limited (many of the offline use cases involve connecting to the Internet afterwards, such as to push doc files to a repo).

>what's the point when you can just buy a much cheaper laptop or desktop that is also superior in every single way
I agree that they are much superior as computers, but they are not good for carrying them inside your pocket or for using them as a camera.

I dunno, getting Linage OS to work on something is mainly the Linage OS developer's problem. I can't predict if they're going to put in the effort to make it work, or how much demand there has to be before they will. I also don't know where the dev kits went or if any Linage OS developers got them. But given that the manufacturer thinks it's "very likely" that windows and android will be able to run on this thing (although they're not going to test that), Purism is certainly not about locking you into their OS. Someone can probably figure something out that'll get it to work, especially given that you could use bits and pieces of PureOS in a Linage OS build for this phone as needed.

The 3 kill switches are for wift/bt, cellular modem, and mic/camera.

I guess I just go into these threads and people always seem to be pushing/shilling them as not just tinfoiler placebos but also as power user devices (it's a GNU+LINUX phone, guys!) while they look utterly frustrating at best and useless on average for anything I'd actually buy a device like this to do. I use my PDAs and HPCs for a lot of document/spreadsheet work, programming, database development and tons of other uses that I wouldn't touch this thing with a ten foot pole for, and I absolutely resent the reality that this kind of mediocre shit is what passes for a pocket computer in 2019 when we could have so much better, instead we just have the iPhone of freedom-respecting hardware and a crack team of crowdfunders to make endless excuses for it.

I don't really direct any of this at you though, you seem perfectly reasonable in what you'd like to see, but I definitely hope you're not going to blow $600 on this thing, they don't deserve that kind of money for something so uninspired.

>I definitely hope you're not going to blow $600 on this thing
Not planning to. A phone with LOS installed and without a SIM card is a good enough compromise for me. $600 is just too much.
Also don't disagree with anything you said. This could've been much better. A Nexus 5 running Ubuntu Touch seems like a much better implementation of a GNU/Linux phone than this.

Attached: Buccelati and King Crimson.png (1920x1080, 2.62M)

Makes me wonder if there isn't a bit of potential in ruggedized data collection systems, a lot of the newer ones seem pretty nice.

Attached: opticon_h29_all_410_72.jpg (410x430, 38K)

I didn‘t preordered it, but I will buy one as soon as it comes out.
I wanted to buy it as a replacement for my Nexus 6P, sadly it‘s battery literally died (less than 10 seconds lifetime on battery) and I had to buy another cheap one already.

But finally owning a device in every matter sounds great, I also don‘t need many apps etc.
I basically use it ad a PDA, Messenger and E-Mail client, which the Librem will also do.
But people should accept that it‘s a niche item, some like it, but most won‘t.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

Attached: Sundar_Pichai_(cropped).jpg (475x644, 214K)

It looks interesting but I'm going to have to see what it can actually do before it's worth money.
The true and uncompromising privacy thing is nice, but really lineage OS without google services and just turning off the phone is enough 99.999% of the time.
The real selling point would be how "full" a linux environment can they get on a phone, and how many useful tasks can it do that rooted android couldn't, or at least do better than Termux.

The main problem is that they completely disregarded the APQ Snapdragon SOCs which are the mainstream SOCs used in the cellphones but with no integrated modem for other applications which don't use cellular which would've been perfect for this. The NXP chips they are using here which can't compete with those chips and have modern connectivity for everything with no modem built in. The whole package is just too underwhelming to consider with the price and margin that Purism wants for it. I will consider it if Purism goes back to the drawing board again and makes something that isn't this low specced.

Do you wonder how many legal hurdles they have to work through before production begins?

Fuck. Imagine an Android phone with potentially unlimited lifespan because all the drivers are in the kernel.

>le “dumb phone is more private” meme
Dumb nigger. This is the absolute state of Jow Forumsadgets.

They can't use any mainstream arm processors because they're all nightmares to work with from a free software and open source perspective. Even Linus has talked about how awful arm manufacturers are when it comes to Linux and hardware support. He just recently said that arm will never take off on several because there isn't any available arm workstations that are as functional and reasonably priced.

>Linux phone
You do know Android is Linux, right? Fucking retard.

>the one time the GNU+Linux pasta is actually meaningful
>uses the wrong one
You had one job

>Q3
>Vague specs
Design, manufacturing, certification, etc won't happen that fast for a tiny company let alone a huge one. Add two quarters to this at the most ideal

>emmc

>eMMC
>Front camera
>At least one speaker
lmao, it's fucking trash

I agree with the premise that it is more private than a smartphone. It will also use cellular network, but you're not going to connect it to the Internet, and it doesn't run anything like Google Play Services. Why do you think it's a meme?

He probably didn't write the news, user. They certainly meant GNU.

it's touchscreen you dumbfuck