How much does a motherboard really matter?

>Be ME
>have this motherboard for 7 months, all working perfectly well suddenly, the fucker gives out
>So, decide fucking it, get a motherboard for less than 1/2 the price
>the quality seems SOMEWHAT down (as far as ability to overclock and various other shite, but then again , overall, not....considering it cost $340 and the other one cost almost $800

Curious, what is the opinion of motherboards on her? They are meant to be the "brain" of the computer in the sense. Asus now has a new one for over $1,200, considering replacing the one I have now with the more expensive ASUS now.

Attached: motherboard-rog.png (1018x1120, 1.41M)

yeah buy the 1200 dollar one
and as soon as theres a new model buy that so you get the latest rgb updates

>intel
you deserved it

My motherboard is some of the cheapest shit I coud find at the time (MSI H81 P33, iirc it was about 45 bucks) and I haven't had any problems with it in 3 years. Sure I would like more than two sata 6gb/s ports (right now one of my three SSDs is plugged to sata 3gb/s) but eh I can live with that as long as the thing just works.

>asus
lol dumb fuck enjoy your bitcoin mining BIOS

Well it's not like you need a good one for AMD anyways since it doesn't overclock really. Mobo manufacturers also don't care about AMD, just look at the shit Intel gets.

As opposed to Gigabyte where the whole software doesn't work? MSI is somewhat ok, but gamer af.

Be nice if they had put their rgb budget into the power delivery and other features.

Attached: 20180501_143010.jpg (780x948, 797K)

My x58 running almost every day is still working.

Nice goy

Maybe don't buy a $1000 motherboard???
Do you really need gaymen plastics that retain heat and a screen displaying core clock???
There are great high-end motherboards in the $300-500 range. Most of the HEDT mobos are well built in terms of features, it's just bad luck that your died soon.

There are literally botnet rootkits infused into several ROG motherboards such as the Crosshair 7, the Z390 Maximus(and the ITX strix) range e.t.c. Basically they use WPBT for Windows to load PUP... I mean ROG software into Windows automatically before Windows even starts and a re-installation won't fix it. The option is turned off by default but it shouldn't even be there in the first place. This is literally Lenovo Service Engine 2.0 SNSV edition

but thats why you buy EVGA

If you pay more than $200 for a motherboard, you're a straight up retard who needs someone else to manage their money.

That's a bit unfair to say
Sure you can spend over $200 on some gaming motherboard with not a single redeeming feature but you can find motherboards with 10GbE or PLX chips and all of those are going to cost over $200

Only good for overclockers really.

>They are meant to be the "brain" of the computer.
Well no, that'd be the CPU. It's just a rather dumb PCB that connects everything together, I guess you could call it the heart if you use the circulatory system as an analogy.

Motherboard only really matters if you're trying to overclock as they have different VRM quality and BIOS features. If you don't care about overclocking then choose the cheapest board that meets your RAM speed requirements and has enough ports.

>Buying good motherboards
>Not overclocking

Just buy the cheapest shit you can find if you arent overclocking

wtf are these prices, i wouldnt pay more than 150 for mb

That would be the PSU which delivers energy to every part of the body
Motherboard would be the nervous system which connects every component to the CPU (brain) and can perform some basic functions on its own

Shouldn't that have been within the warranty period?

MSI is the worst one. I'd unironically rather take ASrock and their janky 2005 era bios

>Just buy the cheapest shit you can find if you arent overclocking
Cheap motherboards are shit everywhere not just in the VRM, shit audio, shit NICs, gimped sata, etc
Even if your not OCing there is nothing wrong with spending a little bit more than the bottom of the barrel

if you dont buy unlocked CPU's and OC them, then all you need is bottom barrent H chipset mobos.

Get a NAS if you need massive storage, get a USB DAC if you want good audio (mobo audio sucks ass even on high end boards compared anyway.)

???
Profit

CPU is the brain. The motherboard is more like the heart that pumps blood (electricity) through all the other compenents and allows the brain to live.

If it has a bunch of LED gamer shit on it, it's designed to fail.

You end up paying more then if you just bought a decent motherboard in the first place that did everything decently enough

>get a USB DAC if you want good audio (mobo audio sucks ass even on high end boards compared anyway.)
gtfo dumb audiofool

Attached: 88f65b1a.jpg (1920x1080, 211K)

u mad bruh
difference is, the NAS and DAC will still be better when you upgrade, and youll have the storage at that time too.

im sure that your schiit stack has impeccable plankton

Attached: a095d220.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

>get a USB DAC if you want good audio (mobo audio sucks ass even on high end boards compared anyway.)
please, don't listen to this retard, worst meme you can fall for

I own literally the cheapest B450 ATX Mobo (Asrock B450 Pro4 without RGB) and it works wonderfully. I have a 20$ Wifi/Bluetooth card on it I can put into a new one once I upgrade and soon I will get myself a soundcard. M.2 speed is 10/10 (own one of the fastest M.2s currently on the market) and actually have not tried out SATA yet.

Problem is though, that many motherboards have a limited number of ports for anything. I would be pretty much at its limit after the soundcard install, maybe I can add one additional PCI-card and like 2 drives because some ports shut off once you activated others as they share lanes. (I think that is the CPU-architecture though) What I am saying is it saves space having features already built in. You need to figure out what you are going to need before buying a mobo.

this

no one said an expensive usb dac you mong

>difference is, the NAS and DAC will still be better when you upgrade
Honestly how much better do you need it to be?
I just want more than 4 sata ports and audio that doesn't make noise when I move the damn mouse and I don't need to go out and spend money on a USB DAC and NAS just to have that as I can just get a slightly more expensive but still modest motherboard

>intel socket
mfw my shitty old MSI AMD mobo from 2010 is still working perfectly fine

Attached: intel suicide shill.png (1070x601, 440K)

And then down the line you want more than whatever board youre buying, youll lose the ports on your current motherboard, this way you get more total ports

youll have to spend that extra every single time you "upgrade"

Am this guy and a usb dac is literally not a good idea. Cheap DACs have shit shielding and none have an amp attached. You get a better deal with a soundcard (with the caveat that you have to run your audio devices to your rear IO because running analog through the case is a shit idea.

I don't swap out motherboards or upgrade sockets every year like an autist, so it's not like the extra costs add up to any significant amount
I get a motherboard that does what I want it to do and it stays until I move a socket which is maybe once every 4 years at this point

Asus make the best motherboards.

sir what asus board you recomend??

whatever has the most RGB and gayming shit

This thread should have zero replies and yet it does not.

Don't forget plastic shrouds over heatsinks.

Boomer here. Just stopping by to inform you that Gigabyte is top tier when it comes to z390 boards. Also ignore the Asus shills. Asus is overpriced garbage.

msi good
asus garbage
asrock decent (best value)

>There are people in this thread who think onboard audio is fine but will say Bluetooth audio is shit.
The ironing

>Be Millennium Edition
???

Attached: early-2000s-fashion-nsync-hair-streaks.jpg (600x400, 40K)

>They are meant to be the "brain" of the computer in the sense
Wouldn't that be the processor and not the mb?

MB would be the brain stem so I guess he's not technically wrong

What I'm wondering is why motherboards have to be in the form they are, what prevents someone from making a motherboard that looks somewhat like a One Connect box?

Standards
You start moving shit around suddenly you have mounting and clearance issues

my asrock x79 extreme9 is running fine

Attached: 1snapshot_15.34.png (1920x1080, 2.54M)

Only if you love to see it not booting at all and just having PC for looks. EVGA mobos are known to have tons of problems with booting.

What standards?

Seems the design of motherboards is redundant these days to me, cases now usually have a fan connector hub on their own etc. Would be great if we could just place a little box in our case instead of these huge things.

>cpu: brain
>mobo: nervous system
>psu: heart and lungs
>gpu, ram: ???

pennis but also dicke and balls

GPU is the eyes.

Cooling is literally nose and blood vessels.

The eyes are not an output device

Get one that has the ports you need, (with a chipset you need to if you overclock or something) other than that you just need one with pretty okay VRM.

Nice spelling error, you managed to change the entire meaning of the sentence by using then instead of than.

That's a really strange comparison and there is no irony in believing onboard audio is fine but bluetooth audio is shit. Onboard audio on most decent motherboards is capable of driving high-end headphones without any issues as it features the same exact technology an external DAC/AMP provides. Bluetooth audio on the other hand is always compressed due to the lack of bandwidth of the protocol, but more importantly has a lot of issues with latency and playback that can drop out. AptX and other codecs can make up for a lot of the drawbacks, but it's still inferior no matter how you look at it.

I say that as someone who uses Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless as my main headset so obviously a big fan of Bluetooth audio, but it has faults for sure even if under perfect conditions the audio is very good in general.

>$800 fucking dollars for a mobo
wat
>$340 for a "cheap" mobo
wat
>So, decide fucking it
wat
I use ROG STRIX B-350F, my client uses same board, my sun uses TUF B-350M, and my buddy uses TUF B-450M, zero issues period, I am still using this board after 2 years and multiple cases, I have not been gentle with it.

>doesnt OC
Intel shill pls go. Everyone I know uses Ryzen and we all get 200 to 500mhz OC.

I remember when onboard audio was actually garbage with popping clicking cutting out nonsense so I bought a sound card.
Over the generations I kept seeing MB manufacturers parading their onboards SnR ratios and isolated circuts.
Yet every single one still sounded like weak and flat compared to a real sound card.
Maybe I'm just retarded but my sound blaster z still sounds much better than the onboard on the Asus prime x470 pro

Strix and TUF are the best Asus boards.
>muh rgb
Does the board function as intended? fuck lights

the only thing in a computer worth spending more than 200 bucks on if it's not a pc intended for specialized work is the gpu and that's only if you're a gaymer

B450 pro4 is actually a pretty good board though. And certainly not the cheapest on the market

GPU is cognition

I don't think the newest generation of on-board audio like Crystal Sound 3 should sound weak, but keep in mind on most motherboards the full feature set of the integrated audio will only be available trough the front audio jack and the amplification is typically set by software at the lowest setting by default and should be changed to the highest.

Not saying that it's equal to your Sound Blaster Z, but for most people it's more than good enough and does not have any obvious faults like Bluetooth audio does which is why I found the comparison of that guy strange.

*laughs in 41% overclock*
Wow I feel bad for you.

Attached: 17a5ff7e82b1bb4e44956fdd2d72cc0f.0.png (188x124, 34K)

>He has to OC by 41% to get any semblance of performance
lol. Must suck to suck huh? And clock doesn't carry from arch to arch. Like how my FX-9590 @ 5.6GHz got destroyed by a sub 4.4GHz i5. But hey, enjoy those AWESOME 1337 clox bro.

Laughs in air cooled 2600X overclocking itself to beat your housefire

I'd eat dogshit if Bradley Cooper did it in limitless.

I always get the asus deluxe. Each one has lasted me 8+ years.

>he thinks this overclock is needed.

Sorry its not a AMD chip.

>He thinks 65-70c on load is hot

*laughs in fermi*

Will you date me?

???

Attached: UIykWw5yNKwopguN_setting_000_1_90_end_500.jpg (500x500, 58K)

asrock extreme 87 still going strong here too

GPU/sound is charisma, body language, symmetry and social ability

nailed it, these things are not for you, they're for others

What are some good onboard audio chips?

Attached: 1484215997000.jpg (411x292, 17K)

>ANUS
You deserved it
>buying anything other than ASRock

based am3+ poster

Why are the only USB 3.1 gen 2 headers on meme filled RGB crap?

Attached: main-qimg-6cb9ed8ce601f0020d0d102f67259051-c.jpg.a96419a4fa1b43bd9c4407455133686b.jpg (478x267, 28K)

>You deserved it
I really don't give a fuck. I had a 4 days weekend, got 3 8 balls of blow and just completely rewrote the entire fucking BIOS. Also, totally OT but every fucking ARRIS modem has spyware so deep it records it each time you take a shit, that's next week's project.

can you even build a gaming rig with no Christmas lights attached to the board and not be a modern toaster?

Attached: 51f.gif (300x300, 252K)