Riot: replacing IRC as the best way to IM anonymously, securely and privately

RIP in piece, IRC.

Everybody is switching to Riot.

Have you?

Attached: daf490a5-a71a-4ee6-8879-9dfc1351767e.png (300x300, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMEMO
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(protocol)#History
xmpp.org/extensions/
voyager.t2bot.io/#/stats
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Botnet.

Let me guess... The protocol is as bloated as I could imagine, right?

RFC or GTFO.

just a garbage discord clone. :D:A"SD:A"S:DAS":D irc is love irc is life.

IRC was never even close to fucking anonymous
the server admins all know exactly who you are, they're fucking scum

>around longer than discord
hmm
also it works literally not even similar to discord, riot's interface doesn't work even close to the same way, either.

yes, I'm switching to disroot and Riot
fuck nazis

How is encryption done in this?

Is it client to client? That should not be possible a browser only scenario, so riot admins can read people's messages, which they say otherwise in their site

>the server admins all know exactly who you are, they're fucking scum
you must have no friends

>just a garbage discord clone
Actually, it's a Slack clone. But good.

not publicly like IRC, no
I keep my friends behind closed encryption, faggot

Copy of a Copy of a Copy.

Attached: rly.png (1921x1079, 573K)

Looks like slack came out before both of them too

oh boy

Garbage proto

>Everybody is switching to Riot.
yeah, nah

Attached: hexchat_2019-02-25_16-22-08.png (1548x183, 17K)

Pretty sure it's client to client but it has to be enabled in the room, which an admin can choose to allow or disallow.

It's either unencrypted messages over encrypted (TLS) transport (i.e. server has plaintext) or end-to-end encrypted (only clients participating in the room have plaintext). Currently, all rooms are unencrypted by default, but you can enable encryption at any time. In the future, one-to-one rooms ("direct messages") will be encrypted by default.

>That should not be possible a browser only scenario
Why not? The encryption is performed via JS, likely using asm.js for performance. Private keys are stored in localStorage or IndexedDB.

>one-to-one rooms ("direct messages") will be encrypted by default.
Wasn't this enabled in 1.0?

>those shitty numbers

>the best way to IM anonymously, securely and privately
what is pidgin with otr plugin?

>"""Desktop""" client is written in electron

Attached: into the trash it goes.png (680x697, 899K)

>one IRC network has more users than all Riot
>shitty numbers

obsolete gramps
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMEMO

Nheko, weechat-matrix, Seagrass. If you don't neeed E2EE, then also Fractal, Quaternion, Spectral.
Electron is sensible as a solution to develop clients for all major platforms and also web at once. Why do 4 times the work instead of just making one client when you have so many other things to work on too?

>claims obsolescence
>provides a link
>link has nothing to do with the claim
eh, kids these days. *sips monster*

>Why do 4 times the work instead of just making one client
Why make a client thats just a website (with embedded instance of ram hogging browser) when you can use actual website (in a browser instance that you already have opened)?

>being this braindead

Because you may want to have the resources locally cached for load speed and integrity (a website can compromise your keys by serving a malicious client). Also for better desktop integration, perhaps.
If you care at all about security, you wouldn't be using third-party hosted web client anyway, so it's either loading a local file (or hosting a local fileserver) or packing it into something like Electron.

>electron
>load speed

Certainly faster than also involving fetching everything from network.
I'd argue that the real advantages are having the program locally (server can't provide a compromised version) and desktop integration.

if you care about load speed and desktop integration why not just use Qt?

I actually have used Nheko for a bit. It's nice in general, but doesn't support encryption for anything but text at the moment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(protocol)#History

>Financial interest in the success of a free and federated protocol
I wonder why that is?

use XMPP btw.

That's not how this thread was supposed to go... Shut it down.

Attached: 1497257195812.png (499x641, 337K)

I don’t need that http polling shit which eats my laptop battery, thanks

HTTP long polling is basically TCP push. The only real difference is the overhead after a received message.
You can still use GCM for push if you prefer battery over privacy.

You want me to fix your shit, matrix shill? Gtfo

E L E C T R O N
L
E
C
T
R
O
N

>>Financial interest in the success of a free and federated protocol
>I wonder why that is?
because orgs, companies ant apparently the French govt don't want to have to trust Slack, Skype or any such with their communication?

idiot

Nope, still not yet

You don't have to use Riot as your Matrix client. Anyone can write one that follows the client-server API, and there are alternatives. Only issue is none of them have all the features Riot has ATM

If you don't like a server owner's policies, switch to another or host your own. I don't use matrix.org nor riot.im for my account.

that sounds like you're holding them hostage behind locks
let them go user

30 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS TO USE WITH THE MATRIX PROTOCOL
PICK A DIFFERENT ONE

mostly because of
it's pretty obvious
do any of those places trust email? YES! why? because they can fucking host it themselves.
They certainly aren't going to use hotmail.

>Have you?
no because I use irc for xdcc

>no because I use irc for xdcc
shitty

Slow speeds or copyright police. Pick one.
Inb4 pay to pirate.

Use Riotim 12 million flies cant be wrong

>xdcc
>fast

>he doesn't know about free usenet
>he doesn't know about private trackers
>he doesn't know about private ddl
>he thinks the above isn't free

And none of them fucking work properly

yes they do, pussy

> literally no one is switching to riot
discord won

Retroshare > all

Attached: Retroshare-symbol.png (256x256, 18K)

>fractal
Ugly piece of shit
>quarterbion
No features
>nheko
Already abandoned by original authors, doesn't support media drag and drops, doesn't support bridges well, ugly as shit, doesn't support E2EE properly, constantly fucking up read states
>weechat plugin
Lolweechat
>emacs plugin
Lol

nheko_reborn

Bloated botnet. IRCv3

Matrix is like Jabber except its only clients are electron apps with no support

or you could use xmpp which has been doing the same thing since the 90s, has more features than matrix, and has more supported clients

stupid question(s), but can you start your own xmpp server and join it to the larger bunch of xmpp servers? i guess that would be federation? i've used matrix and it is OK, but very slow. i like the ability to redact/edit messages which xmpp doesn't have.

>I-IT DOESNT COUNT

answering my own question.. looks like you can with ejabberd.. slap my ass and call me sally!

It counts about as much as plan9 counts as a useable alternative for enterprise servers. It exists, but only retards would ever use it.

yes xmpp federates, users can communicate across servers.
you can also join an xmpp room hosted on a server while logged in on a different server.
the server admin generally has full control over these things though, for example if you wanted you could disable users' ability to message users on other servers.
but federation is the point of xmpp, matrix is literally just a hipster's take on xmpp.

you can with most/all xmpp servers.
I'd like to recommend prosody because of its ease of use and setup.
as a bonus it's already a package in most server distributions.

xmpp also does actually support editing messages.
generally if there's a feature it doesn't support, there's a protocol extension that adds it. most xmpp servers have modules for all of these.
xmpp.org/extensions/

>it doesn't work
>names a bunch of shit that works, with problems he didn't list

wew

Please stop shilling your badly implemented promising protocol. Making people try out a half-assed implementation too soon will only hurt the project. Wait to shill it when there's an actually good implementation so everyone can switch and not want to go back to whatever they were using before.
Until then, use xmpp.

>use xmpp.
nobody does that

I do that.

you and maybe like a dozen guys on Jow Forums and a few thousand people on the rest of the earth

XMPP is dead. Get over it.

and the hipster rip-off called matrix where the only properly maintained client is an electron app is alive?

more alive than your corpse of a protocol that has been picked clean and left to bleach in the sun by Whatsapp, Facebook, Signal, and every other company that made a popular walled garden out of your basic project

voyager.t2bot.io/#/stats

matrix is extremely alive.

this is proof you can can any old idea, remake it as a crappy proprietary walled garden, sprinkle some capitalism on it, pretend its new, and trick the majority into switching. bonus points if it uses javascript.

No good clients available yet. Just glossy Discord-inspired trash.

for real. xmpp has good clients. I'm serious I don't know why everybody here is so deluded about matrix.
just because the matrix username format is @user:server instead of user@server and it uses json instead of xml, it doesn't make it "new" or "better". it's the same thing as xmpp being shoved down our throats by the same type of awful people who are responsible for discord.

>Matrix
>proprietary walled garden
u wot m8

matrix is the most open spec out of any communications protocol that has ever existed since email
it's far more open and spread than IRC and XMPP are

and you can't even compare discord, slack, etc to it.

Gomuks and Quaternion are both promising, if still under heavy development.

>Discovered Users 1,272,299
This is more than XMPP has ever gotten, period.

Matrix is the future. XMPP is almost dead.

xmpp was bastardized into a proprietary walled garden by the likes of facebook and microsoft, then in the aftermath some web developers shat out matrix to try and fill the gap, completely ignoring the fact that xmpp still exists and has had cosntant development since the 90s.

thinking of moving our company away from IRC and using rocket.chat, anyone used that?

>for real. xmpp has good clients
no it doesn't. there's almost no clients at all and it's been like 20 years. fuck off.

>any old idea
yes email
>remake it as crappy proprietary walled garden
so facebook messages, and slack? or what do you mean?
>sprinkle some capitalism on it
oh you mean dsicord?
>pretend it's new
oh you mean facebook?
>trick the majority of web into switching
yea definitely facebook
>javascript
yep facebook, I knew it

matrix fits not 1 of your criteria, and doesn't use javascript, dipshit.

Matrix does everything IRC and XMPP have ever done, all plugins combined, and is FEDERATED it's 100x more open than they will ever be. IRC is centralized meme tier shit. so is XMPP.

>matrix is the future
I bet you also think javascript is the future don't you? and google chrome is the best browser?

XMPP in practice is awful and drives server admins to drink. At my last job we moved to Slack to avoid it.

There are so many "promising" IM clients now, but is there even one with enough people to actually use them? Cause i haven't found a single non-botnet client where you don't have to beg people to join

t. Tox user

no, I use Firefox.

>t. Tox user
You can't even name a good Tox group chat and I bet somebody here can post several active Matrix Jow Forums chats.

Gomuks and Quaternion and Riot are all Matrix clients, retard.

>gajim
>conversations/zom
>pidgin
>conversejs
>almost every universal IM client
off the top of my head.
not to mention easy open source libraries like sleekXMPP that support all the same features of all these modern clients.
not to mention that all of these support end-to-end encryption methods that are compatible with each other.

matrix doesn't use javascript, it's a specification

this. literally nothing works unless you hack the shit out of it with addons and bloat garbage.

>free usenet
they don't offer the alt.* hierarchy with the binaries

>private trackers
The amount on begging and work to maintain a "good leecher" status makes me want to pay money to not deal with.

>private ddl
If you mean those ftp servers hosted illegaly on college campuses, those are great. If you mean Mega.nz and friends, you're out of your mind.

xmpp servers are so incredibly easy to operate my grandma could do it. prosody's config files are literally a few lines of Lua and there's about 2 administrative commands to memorize. if your server admins were honestly having trouble they should be fired.

based, currently waiting on a pull request that implemented DCC SEND on a friend irc client

First time i hear of any of these and i've never seen anyone on Jow Forums talk about "Matrix chats". I used Tox as an example of "nobody uses it", not in the "muh thing is better" way that's so popular on this board. Just face it, y'all in the same boat.